Site C dam blues


Hoid
+1
#1
BC has been talking about building a hydro mega project in the Peace (north-east BC)since Christ was a cowboy. The BC Liberals (conservative whack jobs who used to be called SOCREDs) and BC Hydro (government whack jobs with no accountability to anyone) jump started the process by ignoring due diligence and getting $2 billion into the project. An independent review has now made a number of sobering and disturbing findings.

The project will be over budget and over time.

The comparative costs between the Site C and other alternatives were wrongly stated in order to promote the Site C.

The Project can be canceled immediately and alternative solutions are still comparable in over all cost.

SO basically BC Hydro sold the government a bill of goods in order to get them to commit to a mega project and the government bought it. But now that government is gone and so may be the Site C.

This reminds me of nothing so much as the Fast Cat ferry fiasco where the NDP government committed millions to a ship program that was actually not well suited to the purpose. The incoming BC Liberals shit canned the Fast Cats and sold them off as cheaply as they could in order to turn it into the biggest disaster that they could. I rode on that ferry. It was magnificent. It would have made the most amazing coastal patrol ship/emergency response/hospital ship.

I fully expect the new NDP government to turn the Site C into the biggest white elephant that they can. ON the plus side we will end up with many widely distributed alternative power sources - as the entire world is doing.
 
Durry
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
A half a dozen gas wells would produce as much energy as this Dam would produce, and at a much much smaller environmental foot print.
So dumb!!
 
Mowich
Conservative
+2
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

BC has been talking about building a hydro mega project in the Peace (north-east BC)since Christ was a cowboy. The BC Liberals (conservative whack jobs who used to be called SOCREDs) and BC Hydro (government whack jobs with no accountability to anyone) jump started the process by ignoring due diligence and getting $2 billion into the project. An independent review has now made a number of sobering and disturbing findings.

The project will be over budget and over time.

The comparative costs between the Site C and other alternatives were wrongly stated in order to promote the Site C.

The Project can be canceled immediately and alternative solutions are still comparable in over all cost.

SO basically BC Hydro sold the government a bill of goods in order to get them to commit to a mega project and the government bought it. But now that government is gone and so may be the Site C.

You nailed it, Hoid.

Quote:

This reminds me of nothing so much as the Fast Cat ferry fiasco where the NDP government committed millions to a ship program that was actually not well suited to the purpose. The incoming BC Liberals shit canned the Fast Cats and sold them off as cheaply as they could in order to turn it into the biggest disaster that they could. I rode on that ferry. It was magnificent. It would have made the most amazing coastal patrol ship/emergency response/hospital ship.

I was almost physically ill when I heard about the sale, Hoid. They frickin' gave that beautiful ship away. It was an act of sheer pettiness and criminal disregard for the millions and millions of taxpayers dollars that they may as well have just flushed down the drain.

Quote:

I fully expect the new NDP government to turn the Site C into the biggest white elephant that they can. ON the plus side we will end up with many widely distributed alternative power sources - as the entire world is doing.

I fully support the NDP stopping this dam in its tracks. It was ill-conceived, poorly managed and not surprisingly way over budget. We don't need it. It will not lower our hydro bills. And, it would have a huge environmental impact.

Opinion: Why Site C must be stopped
 
Hoid
+1
#4
It will definitely not lower our hydro bills. The days of cheap affordable electricity are rapidly fading.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
+1
#5
But how are we going to recharge all our electric cars ? Our population is growing along with industry , where is the power to support this going to come from ?
 
petros
#6
Corn
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

BC has been talking about building a hydro mega project in the Peace (north-east BC)since Christ was a cowboy. The BC Liberals (conservative whack jobs who used to be called SOCREDs) and BC Hydro (government whack jobs with no accountability to anyone) jump started the process by ignoring due diligence and getting $2 billion into the project. An independent review has now made a number of sobering and disturbing findings.

The project will be over budget and over time.

The comparative costs between the Site C and other alternatives were wrongly stated in order to promote the Site C.

The Project can be canceled immediately and alternative solutions are still comparable in over all cost.

SO basically BC Hydro sold the government a bill of goods in order to get them to commit to a mega project and the government bought it. But now that government is gone and so may be the Site C.

This reminds me of nothing so much as the Fast Cat ferry fiasco where the NDP government committed millions to a ship program that was actually not well suited to the purpose. The incoming BC Liberals shit canned the Fast Cats and sold them off as cheaply as they could in order to turn it into the biggest disaster that they could. I rode on that ferry. It was magnificent. It would have made the most amazing coastal patrol ship/emergency response/hospital ship.

I fully expect the new NDP government to turn the Site C into the biggest white elephant that they can. ON the plus side we will end up with many widely distributed alternative power sources - as the entire world is doing.

You trying to beat out flossy for idiot of the month? Or are the dippers paying you by the inch to post garbage.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

You nailed it, Hoid.

I was almost physically ill when I heard about the sale, Hoid. They frickin' gave that beautiful ship away. It was an act of sheer pettiness and criminal disregard for the millions and millions of taxpayers dollars that they may as well have just flushed down the drain.

I fully support the NDP stopping this dam in its tracks. It was ill-conceived, poorly managed and not surprisingly way over budget. We don't need it. It will not lower our hydro bills. And, it would have a huge environmental impact.

Opinion: Why Site C must be stopped

Wrong on both counts. The fat cats were garbage and wound up being sold at auction after more than a year on the market. Anyone that thinks they were given away should have put their money where their mouth is and bid higher. AS for Site C it has long been on the drawing boards and is much needed.Espeially as the LNG plants come on line and use electricity instead of NG for operating. And even more so if mayor moonbeam carries through on his threat to turn off natural gas in Vancouver.That leaves electricity for heat.
 
Mowich
Conservative
+2
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

It will definitely not lower our hydro bills. The days of cheap affordable electricity are rapidly fading.

I might argue that they are long gone.

Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

But how are we going to recharge all our electric cars ? Our population is growing along with industry , where is the power to support this going to come from ?

Well, we could pull the plug on California who, last time I checked, still haven't paid their bill. That would save us a whole passel of power.
 
Hoid
#9
the site C dam is an economic fail. No businessman would ever go ahead with it - but since its a government thing who knows what will happen.
 
Mowich
Conservative
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

the site C dam is an economic fail. No businessman would ever go ahead with it - but since its a government thing who knows what will happen.

Well the greenies have been against it forever and considering their position in government, I'd say there is every chance this fiasco gets killed.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

It will definitely not lower our hydro bills. The days of cheap affordable electricity are rapidly fading.

Certainly in Ontario.
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
+1
#12
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

Certainly in Ontario.

No doubt.

The cost of electricity in Ont has already resulted in large scale users downsizing and/or relocating.

That one will be costing the residents of that province for years to come
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
#14
When Site C is up and running we can cut off subsidies to wind power plants and save taxpayers a bundle.Those that can produce for the same price as hydro will survive, the rest will take their place in the sad history of government meddling in business.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#15
Bennett had the foresight to get the grid in place years ago.... What a waste to trash Site C over a bunch of political nonsense.

That said, if Site C was or is not the best location, the province would be foolish to abandon the work (and money) already spent.... Kinda like building half a house and deciding to scrap it totally because you found a nicer property somewhere else
 
Hoid
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

When Site C is up and running we can cut off subsidies to wind power plants and save taxpayers a bundle.Those that can produce for the same price as hydro will survive, the rest will take their place in the sad history of government meddling in business.

Wind power is already cheaper than hydro from the site C.

That is the point here.

Site C is so horrifically bad that it took a $2 billion dollar headstart to even make it cost comparable to wind/solar/geothermal and other alternative sources that can be builkt in large numbers close to demand centers and lessen the over all negative impact.
 

Similar Threads

7
Blues
by Goober | Dec 7th, 2010
21
Pot Luck blues...
by Zan | May 8th, 2009