Trudeau: Canadians rightfully angry after Ottawa pays $31.25M to men falsely imprison


mentalfloss
#1
Trudeau: Canadians rightfully angry after Ottawa pays $31.25M to men falsely imprisoned in Syria

The federal government has paid settlements totalling just over $31 million to three men falsely accused of links to terror groups, then imprisoned and tortured in Syria in the early 2000s.

Ottawa announced earlier this year that it had settled with Abdullah Almalki, Ahmad El Maati and Muayyed Nureddin.

None of the three men has ever been charged with any terror-related offence. They have all denied ever participating in any terror activity.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale and Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland also formally apologized last winter to the three “for any role Canadian officials may have played in relation to their detention and mistreatment abroad and any resulting harm.”

The exact amount of the financial payout was not known until earlier this month when it was listed in the government’s public accounts.

As first reported by Quebec newspaper Le Devoir, the money may have been split evenly between the three Canadian men at $10.5 million apiece.

They had filed $100-million lawsuits against the federal government for its alleged role in their ordeals, which occurred between 2001 and 2003.

The legal actions were held up in court for years, but finally resolved in March.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3826253/o...oned-in-syria/
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
Hmmmmm, who was Prime Minister in 2000?

Another 30 million + in compensation and apologies times three brought to you by the Natural Governing Party

 
mentalfloss
#3
Hmmmmm......



HmmmmMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm..........


...

I think you were trying to make a point or something - except you didn't.
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
#4
How much are the Syrians going to contribute for their torturing and imprisoning?

Nothing, you say?

Why are we responsible for the barbaric practices of the Middle East? There isn't enough money in all of Canada to compensate every aggrieved, innocent victim of torture and detainment from the Middle East.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

How much are the Syrians going to contribute for their torturing and imprisoning?

Nothing, you say?

Why are we responsible for the barbaric practices of the Middle East? There isn't enough money in all of Canada to compensate every aggrieved, innocent victim of torture and detainment from the Middle East.

The flood gates have been opened. Go get your wallet.
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

The flood gates have been opened. Go get your wallet.

Get a fresh belt for the 50 Cal, you mean.
 
tay
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

How much are the Syrians going to contribute for their torturing and imprisoning?

Nothing, you say?

Why are we responsible for the barbaric practices of the Middle East? There isn't enough money in all of Canada to compensate every aggrieved, innocent victim of torture and detainment from the Middle East.

Because 'we' set them up using false info......

Not as much as you should get when a Countries government and legal authorities set you up knowingly using false info.

You might want to watch the Moahmed Fahmy documentary on how inhumane jails are in those countries.......

Feds pay $31.3M settlement to 3 men unjustly jailed in Syria
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Get a fresh belt for the 50 Cal, you mean.

No, unlike Omar Khadr, I actually think these guys need to be compensated.
However; I think the payout is a bit extreme.
But million a pop seems to be the Liberals magic number.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

Because 'we' set them up using false info......

Not as much as you should get when a Countries government and legal authorities set you up knowingly using false info.

You might want to watch the Moahmed Fahmy documentary on how inhumane jails are in those countries.......

Feds pay $31.3M settlement to 3 men unjustly jailed in Syria

Simple solution- don't go to those kind of countries.

One would think that Syria would welcome any potential terrorists with open arms.
 
JamesBondo
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

How much are the Syrians going to contribute for their torturing and imprisoning?

Nothing, you say?

Why are we responsible for the barbaric practices of the Middle East? There isn't enough money in all of Canada to compensate every aggrieved, innocent victim of torture and detainment from the Middle East.

well, for starters, we arent doing our part in bombing ISIS anymore.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Simple solution- don't go to those kind of countries.

Yabut, they all have sick mothers
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#12
My sister got robbed at knife point in Vancouver 3 years ago. Serves her right for going to BC
 
Hoid
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

My sister got robbed at knife point in Vancouver 3 years ago. Serves her right for going to BC

yes it serves those guys right for turning themselves over to these torturers.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#14
There is a risk to going to places like Syria and it didn't help that the Chretien Liberals turned a blind eye. I'd say that Cannuck's snarky comment is akin to saying, "Served him right for going to a gay pride parade and getting mouth ****ed."

First, it's a ridiculous comparison because crime is everywhere, so getting robbed at knife point is not the same as being picked up, detained and tortured in a foreign land.

Personally, I wouldn't visit a country in the mid-east or south east Asia given the present climate of instability, but if I had family there I might make the risky journey. The Liberals should have done more to get these people out, but then it was the Liberals who committed us to the war in Afghanistan and it was under their watch that Maher Arar was also imprisoned and Syria and tortured.

But we love to hang that one on Harper.

These four guys got a raw deal. Their government deserted them.
 
mentalfloss
#15
I blame Mulroney.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I blame Mulroney.

Of course you do .
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I blame Mulroney.

No doubt. Ben?
 
MHz
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

How much are the Syrians going to contribute for their torturing and imprisoning?

Nothing, you say?

Black prisons are run by the invaders. Look at the Secret Police in Iran for the 25 years before the revolution in 1979 if you don't know who are running those prisons. If paying out is an issue we should let the Gov get us involved in illegal activities.
The 1,000's that have been in black prisons anywhere and are not suing are what is called, 'an asset'. (as in the leader of ISIS)

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I blame Mulroney.

Throw him is one the first time he sued us after leaving office would have been a nice gesture, at his first foolish project with taxpayer money should have been his first visit.
 
Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

No, unlike Omar Khadr, I actually think these guys need to be compensated.
However; I think the payout is a bit extreme.
But million a pop seems to be the Liberals magic number.

Only if you're muslim or Arabic. If your name is Jean Steel, you only get $100,000 for being tortured in Canada with the help of the CIA who engaged in serious brainwashing techniques that detrimentally affected the rest of her life.

Once again Canadians get next to squat from this joke of a govt while foreigners are handed millions.
 
MHz
#20
How much did the new monument cost, that is a gift to Canadians by the collective. Couse we had to pay all the costs so that takes a bit of the joy away really.
 
mentalfloss
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Of course you do .

That was meant to be ironic.
 
Hoid
#22
You know, the story here is who turned these people over to the forces of evil?

It's all fine and good to pay the victims off but how about punishing the guilty?

Who committed the various crimes that have resulted in a $30 million bill for the Canadian taxpayer? Why are they not being held accountable?
Last edited by Hoid; Oct 28th, 2017 at 11:21 AM..
 
pgs
Free Thinker
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

You know, the story here is who turned these people over to the forces of evil?

It'd all fine an good to pay the victims off but how about punishing the guilty?

Who committed the various crimes that have resulted in a $30 million bill for the Canadian taxpayer? Why are they not being held accountable?

Liberal's probably .
 
MHz
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

It'd all fine an good to pay the victims off but how about punishing the guilty?

Who committed the various crimes that have resulted in a $30 million bill for the Canadian taxpayer? Why are they not being held accountable?

You have no idea who runs the black prisons over there?? Seriously?? Try the US and all of her cohorts, including Canada.
https://www.thebureauinvestigates.co...-torture-sites
Revealed: The boom and bust of the CIA’s secret torture sites


In spring 2003 an unnamed official at CIA headquarters in Langley sat down to compose a memo. It was 18 months after George W Bush had declared war on terror. “We cannot have enough blacksite hosts,” the official wrote. The reference was to one of the most closely guarded secrets of that war – the countries that had agreed to host the CIA’s covert prison sites.

Between 2002 and 2008, at least 119 people disappeared into a worldwide detention network run by the CIA and facilitated by its foreign partners.
Lawyers, journalists and human rights organisations spent the next decade trying to figure out whom the CIA had snatched and where it had put them. A mammoth investigation by the US Senate’s intelligence committee finally named 119 of the prisoners in December 2014. It also offered new insights into how the black site network functioned – and gruesome, graphic accounts of abuses perpetrated within it.
Many of those 119 had never been named before.
The report’s 500-page summary, which contained the CIA official’s 2003 remarks, was only published after months of argument between the Senate committee, the CIA and the White House. It was heavily censored, while the full 6,000-page study it was based on remains secret. All names of countries collaborating with the CIA in its detention and interrogation operations were removed, along with key dates, numbers, names and much other material.
In nine months of research, the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and The Rendition Project have unpicked these redactions to piece together the hidden history of the CIA’s secret sites. This account unveils many of the censored passages in the report summary, drawing on public data sources such as flight records, aviation contracts, court cases, prisoner testimonies, declassified government documents and media and NGO reporting.
Although many published accounts of individual journeys through the black site network exist, this is the first comprehensive portrayal of the system’s inner dynamics from beginning to end.

Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Liberal's probably .

A wonderful example of why this site can't attract new members. Assholes from wall-to-wall. Torture is now a joke as long as it is a Muslim while at the same time the collective are rabid animals when it comes to protecting the Jews from any condemnation about anything. Somebody should balance that out perhaps.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Only if you're muslim or Arabic. If your name is Jean Steel, you only get $100,000 for being tortured in Canada with the help of the CIA who engaged in serious brainwashing techniques that detrimentally affected the rest of her life.

Once again Canadians get next to squat from this joke of a govt while foreigners are handed millions.

I don't disagree that the Trudeau government is a joke. Jean Steel is another sad part of our history. I do, however support compensating these men because they were not engaged in anything, but being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Whether they are Muslim is irrelevant.

I do think the payout was over the top, but then that standard has been set with 10.5 million to Omar Khadr, who should not have received a dime.
 
DaSleeper
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post



A wonderful example of why this site can't attract new members. Assholes from wall-to-wall. Torture is now a joke as long as it is a Muslim while at the same time the collective are rabid animals when it comes to protecting the Jews from any condemnation about anything. Somebody should balance that out perhaps.

The only collective are the voices in your head!
 
Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

I don't disagree that the Trudeau government is a joke. Jean Steel is another sad part of our history. I do, however support compensating these men because they were not engaged in anything, but being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Whether they are Muslim is irrelevant.

I do think the payout was over the top, but then that standard has been set with 10.5 million to Omar Khadr, who should not have received a dime.

Actually, the standard was set at $100,000 for Canadians. The current govt has settled very quietly with others who were also affected by the same "program" Jean Steel went through even before they decided to award Khadr $10 million.
As I said, if you're a naturally born Canadian and a victim of Canadian govt actions, you get squat compared to what some foreigner will get.
Same with refugees. Canada has spent what now, over $2 billion on the Syrians? Yet while Trudeau has been in power Canada has had 10s of thousands of its own refugees after 3 major natural disasters. And what kind of federal assistance did they receive? Bubkis.
The simple, sad fact is if you're a naturally born Canadian you aren't important enough for Trudeau to give a shit about.

The $10 million dollar awards are nothing more than another version of virtue signalling. Get tortured for years in Canada at the hands of the Canadian and US govt and these Liberals quietly and almost secretly award you a pittance. Get tortured in a Middle Eastern prison because of Canadian govt incompetence or simple lack of concern and Trudeau feels the need to announce to the world how magnanimous he is with foreign-born Canadians who were tortured and unjustly treated.
I agree that the three men in the OP should be compensated for what happened to them. But that compensation should only be the same as the compensation that Canadians who were tortured in Canada received. Being awarded 100 times the amount for going through the same bullshit as a naturally-born Canadian just because of where you're originally from is racism, pure and simple.
 
MHz
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

As I said, if you're a naturally born Canadian and a victim of Canadian govt actions, you get squat compared to what some foreigner will get.

That is certainly supported by the lack of compensation for the ones who were in Residential Schools. All of them were kidnapped rather than the families were pushing the kids into those schools.
 
Hoid
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Actually, the standard was set at $100,000 for Canadians. The current govt has settled very quietly with others who were also affected by the same "program" Jean Steel went through even before they decided to award Khadr $10 million.
As I said, if you're a naturally born Canadian and a victim of Canadian govt actions, you get squat compared to what some foreigner will get.
Same with refugees. Canada has spent what now, over $2 billion on the Syrians? Yet while Trudeau has been in power Canada has had 10s of thousands of its own refugees after 3 major natural disasters. And what kind of federal assistance did they receive? Bubkis.
The simple, sad fact is if you're a naturally born Canadian you aren't important enough for Trudeau to give a shit about.

The $10 million dollar awards are nothing more than another version of virtue signalling. Get tortured for years in Canada at the hands of the Canadian and US govt and these Liberals quietly and almost secretly award you a pittance. Get tortured in a Middle Eastern prison because of Canadian govt incompetence or simple lack of concern and Trudeau feels the need to announce to the world how magnanimous he is with foreign-born Canadians who were tortured and unjustly treated.
I agree that the three men in the OP should be compensated for what happened to them. But that compensation should only be the same as the compensation that Canadians who were tortured in Canada received. Being awarded 100 times the amount for going through the same bullshit as a naturally-born Canadian just because of where you're originally from is racism, pure and simple.

Harper was Prime Minister for 72 years and never gave anything for domestic disaster relief.

The only time it was ever given was Fort Mac. That was Paul Martin I think.

Trudeau has given $1 million in direct aid to the Ottawa river displaced families this spring and they have pledged to match Red Cross donations for families displaced by fire in BC this summer. That will be millions.





BTW this whole thing was