Submission to the murdered and missing indigenous women's commission


gerryh
+1
#91
Quote: Originally Posted by personal touch View Post

What fantasy?what are you thinking?you don't make sense


Actually, it is you that doesn't make sense.
 
personal touch
Bloc Québécois
#92
Chicken?
What fantasy?

Offer of some intelligent information please,at least I present facts,
there is no fantasy here,except........
 
Mowich
Conservative
+2
#93
Quote: Originally Posted by personal touch View Post

Chicken?
What fantasy?

Offer of some intelligent information please,at least I present facts,
there is no fantasy here,except........

I've just wasted over half an hour reading through every single post of yours on this topic trying mightily to glean exactly what it is you are writing about. Here are my questions.

What was the name of your cousin?
What happened to her?
Where did the incident happen?
Where was the inquiry held into her death?
What is it that you wish to have happen now?
Why are you not testifying at the Inquiry?

Some cold hard facts would go a long way to explaining to us just what your point is because without them all you are doing to stating a bunch of unproven suppositions.

Prior to coming to the forum today, I was live-streaming from a CBC website the proceedings from Winnipeg where the latest MMIW is being held.

There were, at the time I was watching and listening, a total of 7 women in the the room though one of them identified as being trans and the husband of the other woman testifying. I am no further ahead in understanding what this inquiry is all about. What I heard during that time was a litany of how hard it was to get money; that care-workers were not indigenous: that boys should be included: that there were no safe spaces for trans people at the inquiry; that someone who admittedly chose not to further their education had every right to demand the same pay scale as others with full university credentials; that the inquiry should have the ability to bring RCMP and police officers in to face questions; that they needed money for some nebulous wrap-around program; that life on the streets was tough; that motivational speakers should be brought in to the tune of $20,000 per trip; that a life of prostitution, drugs and numerous appearances in court was all the fault of the 'system' and that the inquiry isn't doing enough to tell the stories of the women - this though only seven showed up.

If this is any example of what is going on during the inquiry, I can well understand why it is going nowhere.
Last edited by Mowich; Oct 19th, 2017 at 12:39 PM..
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#94
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

I've just wasted over half an hour reading through every single post of yours on this topic trying mightily to glean exactly what it is you are writing about. Here are my questions.

What was the name of your cousin?
What happened to her?
Where did the incident happen?
Where was the inquiry held into her death?
What is it that you wish to have happen now?
Why are you not testifying at the Inquiry?

Some cold hard facts would go a long way to explaining to us just what your point is because without them all you are doing to stating a bunch of unproven suppositions.

Prior to coming to the forum today, I was live-streaming from a CBC website the proceedings from Winnipeg where the latest MMIW is being held.

There were, at the time I was watching and listening, a total of 7 women in the the room though one of them identified as being trans and the husband of the other woman testifying. I am no further ahead in understanding what this inquiry is all about. What I heard during that time was a litany of how hard it was to get money; that care-workers were not indigenous: that boys should be included: that there were no safe spaces for trans people at the inquiry; that someone who admittedly chose not to further their education had every right to demand the same pay scale as others with full university credentials; that the inquiry should have the ability to bring RCMP and police officers in to face questions; that they needed money for some nebulous wrap-around program; that life on the streets was tough; that motivational speakers should be brought in to the tune of $20,000 per trip; that a life of prostitution, drugs and numerous appearances in court was all the fault of the 'system' and that the inquiry isn't doing enough to tell the stories of the women - this though only seven showed up.

If this is any example of what is going on during the inquiry, I can well understand why it is going nowhere.


There's a very fine line to tread in this matter, Mowich. First of all no one deserves to be raped, assaulted, murdered, and those who engage in it should suffer the same punishment as if the victim was the Queen of England or Mrs. Trudeau and the efforts to prosecute should be just as thorough. At the same time there is a lot to be said for potential victims to not put themselves in a position where it's LIKELY to happen. There is an onus upon caretakers, parents, guardians to ensure, their children, wards etc. to be provided with the "smarts" to survive on the street and in compromised locations. To ensure all the above happens the Gov't needs to hire about a dozen people with the qualifications of Mary Ellen Turpel Lafond, recently retired from the position in British Columbia. It's a situation where victims, care providers and the public at large have responsibility.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
#95
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

I've just wasted over half an hour reading through every single post of yours on this topic trying mightily to glean exactly what it is you are writing about. Here are my questions.

What was the name of your cousin?
What happened to her?
Where did the incident happen?
Where was the inquiry held into her death?
What is it that you wish to have happen now?
Why are you not testifying at the Inquiry?

Some cold hard facts would go a long way to explaining to us just what your point is because without them all you are doing to stating a bunch of unproven suppositions.

Prior to coming to the forum today, I was live-streaming from a CBC website the proceedings from Winnipeg where the latest MMIW is being held.

There were, at the time I was watching and listening, a total of 7 women in the the room though one of them identified as being trans and the husband of the other woman testifying. I am no further ahead in understanding what this inquiry is all about. What I heard during that time was a litany of how hard it was to get money; that care-workers were not indigenous: that boys should be included: that there were no safe spaces for trans people at the inquiry; that someone who admittedly chose not to further their education had every right to demand the same pay scale as others with full university credentials; that the inquiry should have the ability to bring RCMP and police officers in to face questions; that they needed money for some nebulous wrap-around program; that life on the streets was tough; that motivational speakers should be brought in to the tune of $20,000 per trip; that a life of prostitution, drugs and numerous appearances in court was all the fault of the 'system' and that the inquiry isn't doing enough to tell the stories of the women - this though only seven showed up.

If this is any example of what is going on during the inquiry, I can well understand why it is going nowhere.

I interpret all that as saying we want more taxpayers money because _______________________.
 
Mowich
Conservative
+1
#96
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

There's a very fine line to tread in this matter, Mowich. First of all no one deserves to be raped, assaulted, murdered, and those who engage in it should suffer the same punishment as if the victim was the Queen of England or Mrs. Trudeau and the efforts to prosecute should be just as thorough. At the same time there is a lot to be said for potential victims to not put themselves in a position where it's LIKELY to happen. There is an onus upon caretakers, parents, guardians to ensure, their children, wards etc. to be provided with the "smarts" to survive on the street and in compromised locations. To ensure all the above happens the Gov't needs to hire about a dozen people with the qualifications of Mary Ellen Turpel Lafond, recently retired from the position in British Columbia. It's a situation where victims, care providers and the public at large have responsibility.

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond leaves complicated legacy - British Columbia - CBC News

She certainly appears to be a dedicated advocate for native children, JLM and tenacious in her efforts to improve their lives both on reserve and off. That said, she might still be in her position had she realized that governments move at an aged snail's pace and that patience might have helped her win more battles in her quest for changes to the current system. I applaud her zeal but wish she had been able to work with the government and not, as happened far too many times, in an adversarial position.

I don't doubt that the women currently in charge of the inquiry are well-qualified and able to do their jobs. But if what I witnessed during the live broadcast today is any indication of how the meetings are run then I can foresee it continuing well beyond it's mandate and possibly into the next century with the need for massive influxes of money. There is no limit to the time each person has to 'tell their story' even though what the women I listened to today never once mentioned someone who they knew had been murdered or was missing. It was more a rehashing of the TRC, each of them telling the inquiry about their lives of prostitution and drugs or their difficulties as a trans person. I now understand why so many former panel members decided to opt out.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

I interpret all that as saying we want more taxpayers money because _______________________.

Yes, money was a big topic. $600,000 for a some ill-defined program that provided wrap-around services. $20,000 per just to fly in a bunch of motivational speakers though nothing was said about compensation for their time so maybe they are supposed to do it out of the goodness of their hearts and ignoring the fact that it is not covered in the inquiries mandate. $53 million more for the inquiry though no reason was given for doing so.

Really, ts...........if this is about murdered and missing women, why are they sitting around talking about anything but? Now maybe I will have to subject myself to another session wherein the topic is actually discussed but it is really grueling and frankly extremely frustrating.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
#97
If this were really about missing women the RCMP would be given the powers to do some serious snooping on the various reservations along the route.
 
Mowich
Conservative
#98
Proceedings finally resumed at 2:25 PM PST after 3/4s of an hour wherein the camera was focused on a sign about violence against women. No one is speaking though shuffling sounds can be heard in the room.

And now the session begins. One person is present to testify. Her name is Jenny and she has five people there to support her.

Jenny, testified that her dad killed her mother. He left Grande Prairie and went to Vancouver where the police eventually caught up with him. He was arrested and charged with manslaughter but allowed out on bail. While on bail, he committed suicide. She was a young child and not present when the events took place and had no real understanding of what had happened and why. All she knew was that first her mum was gone and then later, her dad. Those are the basic facts. Additional facts include an abusive relationship between her father and mother along with drug and alcohol abuse. Jenny's mum was living in a women's shelter prior to her death.

She heard conflicting stories from both sides of the family about what had occurred and why as she was growing up. She is addressing the commission because she wishes someone had told her the truth when she was younger. She believes that the children of murdered women should have access to the police and any prosecutorial files.

In family court relatives petitioned for adoption who according to her were the worst possible candidates for guardianship and that had she wound up with them her life would have been much worse, very much worse, she said. She makes a very sound point about a more thorough vetting process of candidates for guardianship and that families most certainly must be part of the process.

She was adopted by an aunt but had a troubled upbringing and suffers with mental issues as a result of not having a mother and father. She is well dressed and groomed as are all the participants in the room. She expresses herself clearly and does not belabor points or repeat herself too often.

She states there should be some professional (unspecified) person provided to the children in order for them to have someone to help them and be there for them throughout their lives. Someone they can always go to for help with their problems.

She wants funding so she can travel and memorialize her Mum in her own way. She wants more support (unspecified as to type), more social workers but only those who are thoroughly immersed in native culture. She wants more mental health support for the children of murdered women.

She states that the children have to carry the burden of what happened the rest of their lives.

One of Jenny's supporters is speaking now. She is demanding that the government step up and provide support in the form of more funding, more shelters, more homes, protection from predators on reserves and in the cities,

Jenny is now given gifts of seeds to plant and nurture, a red shawl from the Grandmothers and 3 Eagle feathers.

And at 3PM precisely, they all take off for another room where there will be an in camera session.
 
MHz
#99
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

If this were really about missing women the RCMP would be given the powers to do some serious snooping on the various reservations along the route.

The snooping would be the slums of Winnipeg and they would be reading plate numbers. Dated scans rather than the ones after they announce what they will be doing.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
#100
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

The snooping would be the slums of Winnipeg and they would be reading plate numbers. Dated scans rather than the ones after they announce what they will be doing.

That would be about 3000 miles from where the action is.