Conrad Black loses appeal of fraud, obstruction convictions

Praxius
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/06/25/blacklost.html

Quote:

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals on Wednesday upheld Conrad Black's 2007 convictions for fraud and obstruction of justice.

The court said the defence's arguments were not enough to overturn the conviction of Black and three co-accused John Boultbee, Peter Atkinson and Mark Kipnis.

"The evidence established a conventional fraud, that is, a theft of money or other property from Hollinger by misrepresentations and misleading omissions amounting to fraud," Judge Richard Posner wrote in a decision with Judges Michael Kanne and Diane Sykes.

Black's lawyer, Andrew Frey, said Wednesday that he was disappointed by the decision and an appeal to a higher court was being considered.

Black and the three other men were convicted of mail fraud for defrauding shareholders of newspaper company Hollinger International Inc., while Black faced an additional count of obstruction of justice.

In March, Black began serving his 6-year sentence at the Coleman minimum-security prison in Florida.

Earlier this month, Black had harsh words for two of the three judges who heard the appeal of his conviction, saying they didn't understand the case and sometimes acted like part of the prosecution. Black made the comments in an e-mail sent to the Globe and Mail from prison.

Suck it up princess.

missile
Glad they refused to review his sentencing. this is just one of the many reasons i like the USA Here, the case would never have gotten to court.

lone wolf
Poor little lord Fontleroy.... Has to face justice just like one of us peasants. I'd like to see a lot of the cash-first crowd in there - or better yet REAL slammer. Hint: Don't pick up the soap.

MikeyDB
Lying theiving scum...with enough money to hire even more lying theiving scum to represent them in court..... Where the case is heard by even mor lying theiving scum.

Recently Exxon was "relieved" of the fine levied against them for their criminal destruction of the ecology along the western coastline.... Exxon who made four billion dollars....gets a break...from lying theiving scum....

Praxius
Yeah I heard about that one too..... I guess time does heal wounds *smacks head*

darkbeaver
Lord Blacks troubles give me no end of pleasure. Is that wrong of me? I don't care, he should be drawn and quartered and then his head put on a pike pole and displayed on Bay Street till the suits get the message. Is that excessive? My chicken Tim agrees entirely.

MikeyDB
Where is Ken Lay's head and Fastow and Karl Rove...and and and....

"Justice" is defined by dollars and only rarely does a criminal like Black get what's coming to him. Millions and perhaps billions of dollars stolen by the wealthy...multi-million dollar salaries paid to the CEOs of financially troubled companies.... = Justice on holiday!

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Lord Blacks troubles give me no end of pleasure. Is that wrong of me? I don't care, he should be drawn and quartered and then his head put on a pike pole and displayed on Bay Street till the suits get the message. Is that excessive? My chicken Tim agrees entirely.

Well sure, you feed your chicken some seeds and he'll bob his head up and down in agreement with anything you say (While he's eating)

But no, that is perfectly normal thinking.

lone wolf
Tim came back? So much for the raptors....

The lords and ladies crap still hasn't died. We need more Napoleons and gillotines. Feed the poor. Eat the rich....

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

Well sure, you feed your chicken some seeds and he'll bob his head up and down in agreement with anything you say (While he's eating)

But no, that is perfectly normal thinking.

SHE'S not like that, she's a nice little hen, she has nice legs, well one nice leg, and she loves me.