Paint company sued for racist paint name: 'skin color.' Paint company sued for racist

Locutus
Hue serious?

STOCKHOLM, Sweden, Nov. 10 (UPI) -- A Swedish teenager has filed a complaint against a paint producer that labeled the color beige as "skin color."Thyra,14, whose last name wasn't reported, said she discovered the paint sold by Universal Color and Chemicals at school, TheLocal.se reported.

"By renaming beige to skin color they show that there is a whiteness norm in society," Thyra told the Aftonbladet newspaper. "It is completely sick that they just rename beige to skin color when black and brown are also that," she added.

Thyra has taken her complaint to the Equality Ombudsman on the basis that the term "skin color" is racist.

Thyra's father said his daughter was motivated by her sister.

"Her little sister has brown skin but according to the paint manufacturer she has no skin color. ... I think [the company] just looked at themselves and imagined that's what skin was," he told the newspaper.

Swedish teen says paint company calling beige 'skin color' is racist - UPI.com

Of course it's racist.

Of course.

taxslave
Of course her father is a lawyer.

karrie
+2
I can't wait until blind people start suing companies that refer to having customers 'look' at things, or deaf people sue if companies encourage people to 'listen to them'.

Blackleaf
As I've said before.

Once you let the left wing loonies run the asylum....

mentalfloss
This isn't a left/right issue, it's a legislative one.

It will be reviewed in court and the reasonable person standard will be applied.

DaSleeper
+3
#6  Top Rated Post
Does the plaintiff in a frivolous lawsuit have to pay court costs when he loses?
People might have second thoughts if they did.....
Or maybe it works the same way as the CHRC.....

Locutus
+1
Sweden should concern itself with the much anticipated reunion of Abba and not some small-time Danish chemical joint with flesh-colored paint chips.

I mean, where are people's priorities these days?

Blackleaf
+1

Locutus
ABBA

lone wolf
+1
They'll really spin if they learn paint is a skin....

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

This isn't a left/right issue, it's a legislative one.

It will be reviewed in court and the reasonable person standard will be applied.

What a waste of time and money. I guess something Europeans tend to be good at.

Christianna
When I was a kid Crayola had a skin color, it was a pinkish tan.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

ABBA

I think they are re-forming.

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

What a waste of time and money. I guess something Europeans tend to be good at.

And Canadians, too.

Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

"By renaming beige to skin color they show that there is a whiteness norm in society,"

Will this make her feel better?

And here's something she might be interested in:

What colour code are you? How Brazilian artist is using the Pantone paint chart to document every human skin tone possible | Mail Online