what makes Teenagers so disruptive,defiant,rebellious?

Chiliagon
now that's not all teenagers.. juts wanted to clarify that.

Yes at one time I too was a teenager.. as were you and you, and yes you in the far corner over there, cowering?

I do remember those days of fun and crazyness..

13 years later I notice how things have changed some what.

so my question to you is, why are teenagers like they are?

ironsides
raging hormones. Some handle it better than others.

lone wolf
+1
They know their rights....

Chiliagon
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

They know their rights....

now that's a loaded Answer Lone Wolf.

they have rights yes but do they take advantage of those rights and become naughty and misbehave?

lone wolf
+1
Challenge an errant teen. Offer up cops and punishment. They'll tell you their rights

ironsides
Just like adults.

lone wolf
Adults don't have a protective cocoon like the Young Offenders Act or Youth Justice Act or whatever the current ineffective replacement term is for a Juvenile Delinquent and his/her rush....

darkbeaver
+1
Youth rebel maybe because their common sense is intact still.

Said1
hormones, a little bit a freedom and BAM - 13 going on 30 lol

Help me, my daughter is driving me nutso.

darkbeaver
13 eh, my darling little girl was thirteen for about two and a half years. I hope that helps.

Said1
I have you on ignore, now.

As far as I'm concerned, she's perfect - she cant even compete with how bad I was at that age. Phew.

darkbeaver
That's what you think now. Two and a half years will change your mind.

Said1
**I can't hear you, I can't hear you**

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1 View Post

**I can't hear you, I can't hear you**

EXACTLY!!! Without an audience.....

darkbeaver
She pushed a button one evening and I launched myself out of my wheelchair with my two broken ankles in a failed attempt to slap her foul little mouth. I can still see the smirk.

petros
+1
It all starts with phone addiction.

darkbeaver
Oh dad don't be so silly

TenPenny
Being rebellious and defiant is part of the growing up of a teenager.

Zan
It's the curse bestowed upon us by our own parents - they have no idea how much power is packed into this one little sentence: "You just wait - one day you're going to have a child who acts JUST LIKE YOU!"

Vengeful bass turds, those parents. Of course, I totally understand what drives them to it... I've uttered it myself several times already.

shelphs
Yes, a complex question that deserves an in depth response. There are numerous reasons why adolescent youths rebel in various forms from talking back to criminal activity.

All adults – having been teens themselves – have experienced this but in varying ways, and one’s child may go through the same time of life similarly or vastly differently. It’s the difference that concerns people, but it certainly doesn’t mean it’s bad or permanent.

Teens have an independent mind, and rightly so. They are beginning to internalize the world and make sense of it, and they may, which is certainly not uncommon but probably the opposite, disagree on a number of fronts with their parents. Questioning parental belief systems is a highly effective way of better understanding one’s parents along with the issue being discussed.

As a parent, it’s important to not allow a child - who is playing the devil’s advocate or not - to stifle debate by a parent giving in and playing the parent card. It’s always important to treat teenagers as equals (within reason) and talk through whatever topic is being broached.

Teens take risks that adults most likely wouldn’t, and the reasons for that is that teens are finding themselves and trying to fit in. Popularity is rewarded to those who fight against an unpopular rule and, in so doing, kids discover what is and isn’t important to them – what is worth fighting for.

There is also the matter of a still developing brain. In teens’ brains, the emotional regions develop ahead of the region that deals with rational thought, and this could be why teens are more likely to take risks adults would never take.

And, what can never be overlooked, since teens are rather familiar with parents and authority figures in general and they have nearly no power in a world ruled by power, which they by now understand, adolescent youths may simply want to piss you off, and because they are familiar with you, they know how.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I thought it was life long?

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

I thought it was life long?

Only for those who don't grow up.

That's why every generation complains about the youth of the next - each generation grows into a society that wants to keep the status quo.

darkbeaver
+1

it is not you stupid old man

Only for those who don't grow up.

That's why every generation complains about the youth of the next - each generation grows into a society that wants to keep the status quo.

that's stupid, I'm going out with my friends and you can't stop me

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

I'll tell mom. Do you need bail money?

Chiliagon
I think a lot of it has to do with parents who just aren't good parents! you can't send a parent or parents to parenting school!

although perhaps they should!

Teenagers can be a handful but if you give them something to use as a means of creating interest they can be well behaved.

Sports, Music, a Fun Hobby or Interest can really give them something to work with and it can keep them under control.

many do it. Just that at the same time, so many don't.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

I hardly think personal insults are a suitable response to a simple statement of opinion.

eh1eh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Chiliagon View Post

I think a lot of it has to do with parents who just aren't good parents! you can't send a parent or parents to parenting school!

although perhaps they should!

Teenagers can be a handful but if you give them something to use as a means of creating interest they can be well behaved.

Sports, Music, a Fun Hobby or Interest can really give them something to work with and it can keep them under control.

many do it. Just that at the same time, so many don't.

You have no clue you troll. Now get out there and have some kids so they can be perfect like you.

mt_pockets1000
I raised 3 teenage kids and I have the high blood pressure to prove it. They took 10 years off my life but I love them dearly.

Rebellion is as natural as breathing. I couldn't chastise them too much, especially when I think back on my crazy youth. The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, eh. The two sons were a bit wild but my daughter nearly sent me over the edge. Nothing gets me riled up more than a kid with a foul mouth. She sure knew how to get under my skin. Now you'd swear maple syrup runs through her veins. The sweetest person I know. Kind, caring, fun to be around.

Chiliagon
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1eh View Post

You have no clue you troll. Now get out there and have some kids so they can be perfect like you.

whatever...

TenPenny
The best thing about teenagers is they grow up, and move out when they're 18.

Oh, right, wait a minute...some never do!