Mass shootings in Nova Scotia

Avro52
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Suicide by cop.

Not soon enough.

Reminds me of that idiot incel who tried to get a cop to shoot him in Toronto after he ran people down.

B00Mer
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro52 View Post

Not soon enough.
Reminds me of that idiot incel who tried to get a cop to shoot him in Toronto after he ran people down.

Const. Heidi Stevenson tried.. lost her life

Girth
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Looks like he was heading to Halifax to kill more people.

Very fortunate that he did not make it that far.

It could have turned out to be a complete bloodbath.

Girth

...and we live in a country where you can't defend yourself.. our Canadian Gun Laws. This man might have been able to have been stopped..

has that ever happened in America?

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Unfortunately, we may never know, Boomer. The police have already stated he did not leave a note but they have his computer and devices so those may give a clue - but sometimes there are no answers. What a sickening tragedy.

Even if they hang a label on it, we won't know. A lable isn't understanding.

In systems as complex as individual human psychology and social psychology, certainty isn't possible. Even the "rules" have to come with huge asterisks, "not applicable in all cases."

Best we can do is make sure he doesn't re-offend. Got that taken care of.

For me, it's worse when it happens to Canadians. Nobody "deserves" it, but y'all deserve it even less than most.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

has that ever happened in America?

Successful defense from a shooter? Yes. Regularly.

In a recent high-profile case, it happened in Dayton, Ohio. Some nutbar started shooting. It took the cops 24 seconds from the first shot to put him down, saving dozens.

That, mon ami, is professionalism.

DaSleeper
+1
Yup!

2019 Dayton shooting

Description

On August 4, 2019, Connor Stephen Betts, 24, fatally shot nine people and wounded 17 others near the entrance of the Ned Peppers Bar in Dayton, Ohio. Betts was fatally shot by responding police officers 32 seconds after his first shot

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Yup!
2019 Dayton shooting

Description
On August 4, 2019, Connor Stephen Betts, 24, fatally shot nine people and wounded 17 others near the entrance of the Ned Peppers Bar in Dayton, Ohio. Betts was fatally shot by responding police officers 32 seconds after his first shot

Hmm. . . account I read said 24 seconds.

Either way, hell of a response and damn fine shooting.

Taking a life is always traumatic. I hope the cops are OK. They did the right thing, and did it well.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Hmm. . . account I read said 24 seconds.

Either way, hell of a response and damn fine shooting.

Taking a life is always traumatic. I hope the cops are OK. They did the right thing, and did it well.

Wasn't there an off duty cop in that church at the time?

Tecumsehsbones

Wasn't there an off duty cop in that church at the time?

I'd need to look it up. Dayton wasn't a church. It was an entertainment district.

Kinda sad that my initial question was "which church shooting?" enit?

DaSleeper
I thought you were talking about that church shooting!
I'm the one who got mixed up not you!
Last edited by DaSleeper; Apr 22nd, 2020 at 09:53 AM..

B00Mer
+1
Never trusted the RCMP, this just certifies this..

This shows everyone, the police can't help you. We need a change in gun laws so Canadians can carry a small handgun for self defense.

Concealed carry in Canada.

#ConcealedCarryCanada

gerryh

This shows everyone, the police can't help you. We need a change in gun laws so Canadians can carry a small handgun for self defense.
#ConcealedCarryCanada

If you're going to carry as a deterrent, why carry concealed.

DaSleeper
+2
Maybe because if I were to go on a shooting spree my first target would be someone with a gun?

gerryh
+1

Maybe because if I were to go on a shooting spree my first target would be someone with a gun?

Maybe just me, but If you have to hide it, you shouldn't carry it. When I carry my knife, it's on my belt, not hidden away under my coat.

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Maybe just me, but If you have to hide it, you shouldn't carry it. When I carry my knife, it's on my belt, not hidden away under my coat.

So you wear a light jacket that leaves your waist uncovered at all times ?

Avro52
+1

...and we live in a country where you can't defend yourself.. our Canadian Gun Laws. This man might have been able to have been stopped..

RCMP guy comes to your door and your first instinct to get your gun ready?

Besides, this sort of event in the US is called Tuesday.

Tecumsehsbones
+3

Well, of course! No point shooting up a church on Tuesday. Sunday's when you get all the victims.

Monday, workplace or playground.
Tuesday, college campus.
Wednesday, movie theatre.
Thursday, school.
Friday, bar or entertainment district.
Saturday, sporting event/outdoor community event/synagogue.
Sunday, church.

Walter
+3 / -1

#ConcealedCarryCanada

When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Avro52
+1

I'm a gun owner and I wouldn't have my gun ready every time my door bell rang. I'm also not afraid of every noise or person that occurs on my court.

DaSleeper
+1
I only lock my doors at night just because I don't want some drunk neighbour coming into my house by mistake in the middle of the night because there is about four or five house the same model as mine on my street...

B00Mer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

If you're going to carry as a deterrent, why carry concealed.

Open carry is a provocation..

.. and you don't want the play your hand and let the bad guy know you are carrying..

Which means, before he robs someone he doesn't know who might shoot back or not.

Besides the law is clear in Canada, you can keep a firearm in your home, my Big Big is my home
Last edited by B00Mer; Apr 22nd, 2020 at 06:52 PM..

B00Mer

He was killing people he knew, and they new he wasn't a cop.

I don't get it, dam near everyone hunts in Nova Scotia, someone didn't think of pulling out their rifle and ending that bastard then.

B00Mer

Exactly

Mowich
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Even if they hang a label on it, we won't know. A lable isn't understanding.

In systems as complex as individual human psychology and social psychology, certainty isn't possible. Even the "rules" have to come with huge asterisks, "not applicable in all cases."

Best we can do is make sure he doesn't re-offend. Got that taken care of.

For me, it's worse when it happens to Canadians. Nobody "deserves" it, but y'all deserve it even less than most.

I wasn't thinking of 'labeling', Tec. I hope they may find some notes or words left behind in his computer or devices that might explain why he decided to do what he did. Probably a vain hope but there you go.

Mowich
+1

#ConcealedCarryCanada

Take a breath, Boom and remember that a member of the RCMP gave her life trying to stop the killer and another was wounded. Considering the very rural nature of the area and the fact that most rural areas are not heavily policed, I think the RCMP did the best they could under very trying circumstances and over a very wide spread area. If I question anything they did, it was not issuing the Emergency Alert as it may very well have saved some lives. However, as was explained today, that was a decision of the 'higher ups' in the RCMP - NOT the cops on the ground.

The only changes that may - as the bill has yet to be passed - come to the Fire Arms Act is to make things more stringent and banning of certain types of weapons. I doubt we will ever see concealed or open carry in Canada - I for one would never vote for that and I doubt I am alone.

Mowich
+1

He knew some of the people, Boomer - some. The rest were total strangers and simply easy targets for the killer.

Quote:

I don't get it, dam near everyone hunts in Nova Scotia, someone didn't think of pulling out their rifle and ending that bastard then.

From everything I have heard so far from the families of the victims and others in the area, many of them had little if any idea what was going down or the scope of the horror- considering how widespread the crime scene is, that should be no surprise. Some knew there was a shooter, some that houses were on fire. It wasn't until just after 8AM Sunday morning that the RCMP were informed that the killer was impersonating a police officer. Remember he started late Saturday night. Watching the video of him stopping to get into his vest sent chills down my spine. He looked so nonchalant - just business as usual.

pgs

I only lock my doors at night just because I don't want some drunk neighbour coming into my house by mistake in the middle of the night because there is about four or five house the same model as mine on my street...

Sucks when you make that mistake .

pgs
+1

If they knew he was coming they would have . Thatís why they didnít know he was coming . Your government and their police force donít trust you .

pgs
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

I wasn't thinking of 'labeling', Tec. I hope they may find some notes or words left behind in his computer or devices that might explain why he decided to do what he did. Probably a vain hope but there you go.

Some people go off the deep end . Sometimes they are invisible until it happens . Sadly we cannot always predict future events . Some people loose their temper and rant and rave , others loose it and break things , some hopefully less , take it out on their spouse and children and occasionally some go full blown Rambo . No answers here .