Liberals to look at 'full ban' on handguns, assault weapons


mentalfloss
#1
The horror! (for some deranged people on this forum)


Liberals to look at 'full ban' on handguns, assault weapons

The federal government will launch a study of a full ban on handguns and assault weapons in Canada.

A mandate letter to Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction Minister Bill Blair from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau outlines a number of tasks for the new portfolio, including leading the government's plan to deal with illegal migration, overseeing the legalization of marijuana and cracking down on opioids.

He is also charged with working on policy, regulations or legislation on gun control.

"You should lead an examination of a full ban on handguns and assault weapons in Canada, while not impeding the lawful use of firearms by Canadians," the mandate letter reads.

The issue of gun control arose after the July 22 mass shooting in Toronto's Greektown.

Trudeau promised the government would take steps to ensure Canadians are safe, but did not say if the government was considering a handgun ban.

"And we're looking at things that have been done around the world, things that have been done in other jurisdictions, looking at the best evidence, the best data, to make the right decisions to make sure that we are ensuring our citizens, our communities are safe into the future," he said at the time.

Minister's marching orders

Blair's mandate letter was released by the Prime Minister's Office on Tuesday, along with those for each member of cabinet.

His other marching orders include:

Develop new policies and legislation to reduce organized crime, gang activity and money laundering in Canada, working with provinces, territories and municipalities, as well as community organizations, law enforcement and border agencies.

Lead talks with the United States on modernizing the Safe Third Country Agreement.

Seek additional opportunities to expand pre-clearance operations for travellers to the United States.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lib...ears-1.4801700
 
Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
MHz
#2
Might as well, people seem to forget what their purpose was.
 
White_Unifier
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

The horror! (for some deranged people on this forum)


Liberals to look at 'full ban' on handguns, assault weapons

The federal government will launch a study of a full ban on handguns and assault weapons in Canada.

A mandate letter to Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction Minister Bill Blair from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau outlines a number of tasks for the new portfolio, including leading the government's plan to deal with illegal migration, overseeing the legalization of marijuana and cracking down on opioids.

He is also charged with working on policy, regulations or legislation on gun control.

"You should lead an examination of a full ban on handguns and assault weapons in Canada, while not impeding the lawful use of firearms by Canadians," the mandate letter reads.

The issue of gun control arose after the July 22 mass shooting in Toronto's Greektown.

Trudeau promised the government would take steps to ensure Canadians are safe, but did not say if the government was considering a handgun ban.

"And we're looking at things that have been done around the world, things that have been done in other jurisdictions, looking at the best evidence, the best data, to make the right decisions to make sure that we are ensuring our citizens, our communities are safe into the future," he said at the time.

Minister's marching orders

Blair's mandate letter was released by the Prime Minister's Office on Tuesday, along with those for each member of cabinet.

His other marching orders include:

Develop new policies and legislation to reduce organized crime, gang activity and money laundering in Canada, working with provinces, territories and municipalities, as well as community organizations, law enforcement and border agencies.

Lead talks with the United States on modernizing the Safe Third Country Agreement.

Seek additional opportunities to expand pre-clearance operations for travellers to the United States.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lib...ears-1.4801700

Though I do lean towards stricter gun laws, I also think the government should recognize reality. There is no point in governments changing our gun laws every four years. All that does is cause confusion for law enforcement and everyone else. Society needs stability. If we're going to go back and forth every four years between legalization and banning, then let's just drop it.
 
petros
+5
#4
It's vote buying season.
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
+7
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Though I do lean towards stricter gun laws, I also think the government should recognize reality. There is no point in governments changing our gun laws every four years. All that does is cause confusion for law enforcement and everyone else. Society needs stability. If we're going to go back and forth every four years between legalization and banning, then let's just drop it.

Just lip service, reviewing laws that already exist? handguns are already illegal to carry outside of registered areas, assault weapons already banned in Canada and illegal to own. Like Petros wrote fishing for votes over nothing achieved
 
Hoid
#6
They are talking total ban, and I'm for trying.

How does it impede a hunter?
 
MHz
+4
#7
That will sure make a lot of low level thieves throw up their hand in despair and quit crime while the real criminals breathe a sigh of relief that their victims are loosing some means of stopping the corporate criminals.
 
petros
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

They are talking total ban, and I'm for trying.

How does it impede a hunter?

It will never happen.

Do you hunt?
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

They are talking total ban, and I'm for trying.

How does it impede a hunter?

The article says handguns and assault rifles where does it say hunting rifles?
 
petros
+4
#10
If you remove the wooden stock from a hunting rifle and opt for a plastic stock you have a assault rifle. Nothing changes other than appearance and the appearance scares the ignorant.

More smoke and mirrors.

I bought my first pistol for working in remote areas. Sometimes paying 3 people to be on bear watch isn't in the budget.
 
MHz
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

I

Do you hunt?

Only something to fuk.
 
petros
#12
You can't attract a woman so you need to hunt them?
 
White_Unifier
+2
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Only something to fuk.

I think bestiality is illegal in Canada, never mind the ethics of it.
Last edited by White_Unifier; Aug 28th, 2018 at 02:19 PM..
 
MHz
#14
The only animals I ever chased were in the bars and back then they all used the girly bathroom. I hear things have changed.
 
Decapoda
+2
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

The article says handguns and assault rifles where does it say hunting rifles?

What is an assault rifle? What is the Canadian Government's definition, the one which they are basing their study? Sorry, I'm just searching for the legal Canadian definition and am having a hard time locating the information. Probably a good idea to know what an assault rifle is before we talk about banning them.
 
MHz
#16
This is probably included.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVL3h6pmO6A
 
Walter
+4
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

The article says handguns and assault rifles where does it say hunting rifles?

There is no such thing as an assault rifle.
 
petros
+2
#18
Bingo!
 
Decapoda
+3
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

This is probably included.

How about this??

What about this one?



Same gun, so all good?
 
petros
+4
#20
The Remington 7400 and the DSA SA-58

Cosmetically, these two rifles seem to be a world apart. The Remington 7400 is a fairly common hunting rifle used for a variety of game, from squirrels to deer and looks just the way you’d expect a hunting rifle to look. The DSA SA-58 is a civilian legal rifle which is typically used for target shooting. The SA-58 looks more intimidating, fitting the feel of an “assault” rifle. As far as looks are concerned, these two rifles would logically be in different categories. But what about functionality? Both the Remington 7400 and the SA-58 have these features in common:

They are both semi-automatic. A new round is chambered after every pull of the trigger.
They both use the same ammunition, a Winchester .308 cartridge.
They both have a “pistol style” grip.
They both use a detachable box magazine.

Functionally speaking, these two rifles are identical in terms of firepower, rate of fire, and reload speed. However, the SA-58 looks more intimidating which is what gives it the negative connotation and the “assault” label.
 
Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
+7
#21
Were the guns used in all those Toronto shootings registered? More than likely not.

Why are law abiding citizens who own handguns suffering because of the criminals in Toronto who use illegal handguns?

This will not solve anything and I have to agree that this is just being done for votes.
 
petros
#22
Banning handguns is racist.

If you have your RPAL you can buy a pallet of pistols, stage a B&E and sell them at double market value.
Last edited by petros; Aug 28th, 2018 at 02:46 PM..
 
MHz
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Decapoda View Post

How about this??

How about we just ban shooting people with any firearm as they are all 'assaults on people'.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

I'd you have your RPAL you can buy a pallet of pistols,

I'll bet your mom regrets getting you on so many meds. (or that she should have doubled up on the doses)
 
petros
#24
I see somebody has oedipal issues.

When did start on the meds? Do you blame your mom?
 
Decapoda
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

How about we just ban shooting people with any firearm as they are all 'assaults on people'.

Sure...but what about knives and fists.

Statistics Canada tracks annual homicides by method in Canada. A summery of their data is below showing rates for 2015:

Homicides by method (2015)

All methods:604
Shooting:178
Stabbing:214
Beating:132
Strangulation:38
Fire: 8
Other methods: 4
Not known:20
 
MHz
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post


When did start on the meds? Do you blame your mom?

WTF are you on, quit or triple the dose as you are currently in 'la-la land'. lol

Quote: Originally Posted by Decapoda View Post

Sure...but what about knives and fists.

Statistics Canada tracks annual homicides by method in Canada. A summery of their data is below showing rates for 2015:

Homicides by method (2015)

All methods: 604
Shooting: 178
Stabbing: 214
Beating: 132
Strangulation: 38
Fire: 8
Other methods: 4
Not known: 20

Old age kills the most people, perhaps we should ban that also. The medical industry loses a lot of people, anybody going to check out why we are getting sicker when we shovel more and more money at big pharma?
 
petros
#27
81mg asparin. You?
 
MHz
#28
Ozone.
 
petros
#29
You aren't on your jitterbug meds? Why not?
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

The horror! (for some deranged people on this forum)


Liberals to look at 'full ban' on handguns, assault weapons

The federal government will launch a study of a full ban on handguns and assault weapons in Canada.

A mandate letter to Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction Minister Bill Blair from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau outlines a number of tasks for the new portfolio, including leading the government's plan to deal with illegal migration, overseeing the legalization of marijuana and cracking down on opioids.

He is also charged with working on policy, regulations or legislation on gun control.

"You should lead an examination of a full ban on handguns and assault weapons in Canada, while not impeding the lawful use of firearms by Canadians," the mandate letter reads.

The issue of gun control arose after the July 22 mass shooting in Toronto's Greektown.

Trudeau promised the government would take steps to ensure Canadians are safe, but did not say if the government was considering a handgun ban.

"And we're looking at things that have been done around the world, things that have been done in other jurisdictions, looking at the best evidence, the best data, to make the right decisions to make sure that we are ensuring our citizens, our communities are safe into the future," he said at the time.

Minister's marching orders

Blair's mandate letter was released by the Prime Minister's Office on Tuesday, along with those for each member of cabinet.

His other marching orders include:

Develop new policies and legislation to reduce organized crime, gang activity and money laundering in Canada, working with provinces, territories and municipalities, as well as community organizations, law enforcement and border agencies.

Lead talks with the United States on modernizing the Safe Third Country Agreement.

Seek additional opportunities to expand pre-clearance operations for travellers to the United States.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lib...ears-1.4801700

Probably work about as well as the current laws that prohibit the use of handgun in the commission of a crime.
It will make the idiot contingent feel good about themselves though.
 

Similar Threads

314
It's time to ban assault weapons in the U.S.
by mentalfloss | Jun 24th, 2016
43
Handguns in Canada
by iARTthere4iam | Dec 15th, 2007