Declassified report: Putin ordered election interference to help Trump


mentalfloss
#1



Declassified report: Putin ordered election interference to help Trump

Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered a widespread influence campaign intended to help elect Donald Trump, the Intelligence Community (IC) said in a declassified report released Friday afternoon.

“Russia’s goals were to undermine public faith in the U.S. democratic process, denigrate Secretary [Hillary] Clinton, and harm her electability and potential presidency. We further assess Putin and the Russian Government developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump,” the report reads.

“We also assess Putin and the Russian Government aspired to help President-elect Trump’s election chances when possible by discrediting Secretary Clinton and publicly contrasting her unfavorably to him.”

The document is made up of publicly available information, painting a portrait of Moscow as making a shrewd decision to back a candidate it saw as friendlier to its interests.

According to document, Putin “most likely” wanted to discredit Clinton because “he has publicly blamed her since 2011 for inciting mass protests against his regime in late 2011 and early 2012, and because he holds a grudge for comments he almost certainly saw as disparaging him.”

But the former KGB agent saw Trump as having “Russia-friendly positions on Syria and Ukraine” and and approved of his stated policy to work with Russia.

Officials note that Putin publicly contrasted the President-elect’s approach to Russia with Clinton’s “aggressive rhetoric” — but the report offers no previously unknown information.

The CIA and FBI have high confidence in the judgment, while the National Security Agency has moderate confidence, the report acknowledges.

Trump has repeatedly refused to accept the IC’s conclusions and has treated its assessment as an attack on the legitimacy of his presidency.

Declassified report: Putin ordered election interference to help Trump | TheHill
Last edited by mentalfloss; Jan 6th, 2017 at 04:44 PM..
 
PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
#2
ROFLMAO!!!

No smoking gun. No actual evidence of any connection to Putin. Nothing, nada, zip, zero.

So the Russian government wanted Trump to win because he was friendlier to them....big f*cking shocker there. Just like the US has always wanted foreign governments to be friendlier to them. This is such a joke. The US has actually fixed elections in foreign nations and invaded to install puppet regimes when election fixing didn't work. The democratic grapes are highly sour to say the least.
 
mentalfloss
#3
Donald Trump and the Russian election hack: Why is he resisting all the evidence? - Salon.com
 
Kreskin
#4
I doubt will make 4 years beforw his own party throws him out.
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
#5


Diversionary tactics. "Oh.look at Russia. Look over there" and you won't look at all the rotten crap we have been wreaking on the world for hundreds of years.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
#6
Bashar Al-Assad Has More Popular Support than the Western-Backed “Opposition”: Poll
http://www.globalresearch.ca/bashar-...n-poll/5495643

Who Said "Assad Must Go" And Where Are They Now?




...but the russians are interfering in the US election, eh?
lol
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#7
Poor Trumpites are looking sillier every day. Between this and his bactracking on so many of his election platform, what little credibility he did have is long gone
 
mentalfloss
#8
Have you seen Eaglesmack's new thread?

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Oh well, if Eagle Sh1t sez it's true, it must be true.

He's literally the definition of fake news
 
petros
#9
It's the Putinest year on record.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#10
yer putin me on
 
mentalfloss
#11
US election hacking: Putin 'sought to help' Trump - BBC News
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1
#12
I'm gonna give Trump the benefit of doubt and say he has no involvement and nothing to hide. Given that, he's looking worse everyday for not getting fully behind this investigation. It looks like he has something to hide and in politics,perception is everything. Many people that voted Trump did it while holding their nose. They're regretting it before he even takes office
 
Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Have you seen Eaglesmack's new thread?



He's literally the definition of fake news

Says the guy who uses Salon as a source.
 
mentalfloss
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

There's little to no evidence of vote tampering. That's just yet another red herring the Trumpites are using in their increasingly feeble attempts to deflect


And it's so obvious too.
 
PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
+2
#15  Top Rated Post
What do we really know?

Someone hacked into the DNC system and released emails describing illegal plans and tactics to be used against republican candidates and Donald Trump and there was a supposed social media campaign to denigrate Hillary using all the bad things she has done in her career and life. This apparently had such an influence on the American people as to change the results of the election.

Since none of what was released or said is false it would seem like whoever was responsible did the American citizens a huge favor.
 
captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+2
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

What do we really know?

The facts don't matter to a Truther.... Any explanation to help wipe away the tears from their historical and humiliating loss is all they really want.
 
Dixie Cup
Conservative
+1
#17
I guess the truth hurt Clinton and they have to blame somebody - may as well be the Russians!
 
Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post




Declassified report: Putin ordered election interference to help Trump

Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered a widespread influence campaign intended to help elect Donald Trump, the Intelligence Community (IC) said in a declassified report released Friday afternoon.

“Russia’s goals were to undermine public faith in the U.S. democratic process, denigrate Secretary [Hillary] Clinton, and harm her electability and potential presidency. We further assess Putin and the Russian Government developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump,” the report reads.

“We also assess Putin and the Russian Government aspired to help President-elect Trump’s election chances when possible by discrediting Secretary Clinton and publicly contrasting her unfavorably to him.”

The document is made up of publicly available information, painting a portrait of Moscow as making a shrewd decision to back a candidate it saw as friendlier to its interests.

According to document, Putin “most likely” wanted to discredit Clinton because “he has publicly blamed her since 2011 for inciting mass protests against his regime in late 2011 and early 2012, and because he holds a grudge for comments he almost certainly saw as disparaging him.”

But the former KGB agent saw Trump as having “Russia-friendly positions on Syria and Ukraine” and and approved of his stated policy to work with Russia.

Officials note that Putin publicly contrasted the President-elect’s approach to Russia with Clinton’s “aggressive rhetoric” — but the report offers no previously unknown information.

The CIA and FBI have high confidence in the judgment, while the National Security Agency has moderate confidence, the report acknowledges.

Trump has repeatedly refused to accept the IC’s conclusions and has treated its assessment as an attack on the legitimacy of his presidency.

Declassified report: Putin ordered election interference to help Trump | TheHill

Funny how you seem more concerned about this than Obama directly influencing the outcome of our own election in 2015.
Is it because they helped elect a neo-liberal, post national progtard that you can identify with? Is it safe to assume you have no problem with foreign govts interfering in our electoral process when they're helping the person you admire get the win?
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

What do we really know?

Someone hacked into the DNC system and released emails

And somebody hacked the Republicans and didn't realease them. The question is why. Two possible reasons are that they wanted to hurt the Democrats and they wanted ammunition to use against the Republicans. What info do they have on the Republicans and what might the Republicans do for the Russians in order to keep that info private
 
captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

And somebody hacked the Republicans and didn't realease them. The question is why. Two possible reasons are that they wanted to hurt the Democrats and they wanted ammunition to use against the Republicans. What info do they have on the Republicans and what might the Republicans do for the Russians in order to keep that info private

This should not have been an issue had Clinton not had so many skeletons in the closet.

no amount of blaming the Russian bogeyman will change that fact
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

This should not have been an issue had Clinton not had so many skeletons in the closet.

no amount of blaming the Russian bogeyman will change that fact

Clinton is an irrelevant diversion. the Russians need to be dealt with. Trump admitting the hacks occurred is the first step. He'll have to do something now. The only question is will he do enough
 
captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
#22
If Clinton and the Dems are pissing and moaning about this, then they are fully relevant.

Further, the election per se was not hacked, it was the Dem data base (or whatever) and the release of the info for public consumption.

This does come right back to the skeleton's in Clinton's closet.

Lastly, if the decision is made to 'deal with' the Russians, then that same policy will have to be applied to every other nation that is using IT to spy, influence or disrupt gvt agencies and/or multinationals... Bear in mind, the USA will also be subject to this same scrutiny.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

If Clinton and the Dems are pissing and moaning about this, then they are fully relevant

Accepting that a foreign power is hacking political parties and potentially using the information to influence political decision making and expecting those in power to combat this is not "pissing and moaning". It's common sense. Perhaps that's why Trumpites have such a problem with it.
 
captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
#24
Has Putin come clean and admitted this?

... Then this is all secondary accusations
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Has Putin come clean and admitted this?

... Then this is all secondary accusations

Hehehehe

Your dear leader has accepted the intelligence. You're just looking silly now.
 
captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
#26
Answer the question.... Just because Trump has agreed to a CIA (or some agency) report does not actually prove your claim.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Answer the question.... Just because Trump has agreed to a CIA (or some agency) report does not actually prove your claim.

My claim? Hehehe...Just what do you think "my claim" is?
 
captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
#28
Don't like the statement I made, eh?
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Don't like the statement I made, eh?

I see my question was diificult
 
captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
#30
Quite the opposite.

Your need to deflect from the topic speaks volumes