It's time to ban assault weapons in the U.S.


mentalfloss
+2 / -1
#1
Ban assault weapons now: Our view

A common thread links the mass slaughters of first-graders in Newtown, Conn., of county workers in San Bernardino, Calif., and of nightclub patrons in Orlando: The killers used assault-style weapons that are efficient machines of murder.

Such weapons are accurate and quick, firing with just the twitch of a finger, perfect for mowing down human beings, particularly if equipped with high-capacity magazines. They have become the weapon of choice of people intent on mayhem, most recently Omar Mateen in Orlando, who brought an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle to the packed nightclub where he killed 49 and wounded 53 early Sunday.

Conveniently for aspiring mass killers, such weapons are easy to buy legally in most states. Which is one reason that after just about every mass shooting, there are calls for a national ban on this style of weapon, originally designed for war. And to outlaw the high-capacity magazines, with more than 10 rounds, that help make them so deadly.

Would these bans prevent all mass shootings? Of course not. Are they a substitute for doing everything possible to identify and thwart would-be Islamic terrorists? No. Would the bans save lives and make it harder to carry out mass murder? Yes. And that alone makes them worth doing.

Assault weapons were banned once before, for a decade starting in 1994. Law-abiding citizens were still able to defend themselves. Hunters were still able to hunt. Mass shootings did not end, but two studies suggest that the law helped by gradually reducing the number of assault weapons used in crimes.

While assault weapons equipped with high-capacity magazines are used in only a small percentage of crimes, holding down the size of magazines could save lives, Johns Hopkins' researchers reported in 2012. Even if the ban eventually prevented only 20% of those incidents, that would translate into 100 fewer homicides and 500 fewer people wounded by gunshots per year.

The 1994 law might have been even more successful had it been crafted more strictly. But gun makers are adept at finding legal loopholes, and this was no exception. They tweaked their products and sold the revised version legally.

Ban assault weapons now: Our view
Last edited by mentalfloss; Jun 13th, 2016 at 08:05 PM..
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+2 / -1
#2
But howeryagonna defend yerself aginst the guvvermint, the aleans, the mexikins, the naygras in los anglese, that big UN army up in keyanada thater gonna go door to door an take are guns away?
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

But howeryagonna defend yerself aginst the guvvermint

"Slipped through the cracks: Orlando killer worked for DHS, State contractor"
Slipped through the cracks: Orlando killer worked for DHS, State contractor | Fox News
how, indeed

what links all the killing mentioned and alluded to in the OP is NOT one of them adds up on the facts
not one.
 
mentalfloss
#4
The FBI investigated him twice.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

The FBI investigated him twice.

funny, that is also a common thread amongst all these killings
the FBI investigated and let the perp go...
and usually these perps are not just let go
they are PROTECTED right to the crime
 
mentalfloss
#6
I'm sure it was because of political correctness lol
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
#7
It could be because of the infallible nature of the FBI. I wonder how big their Al Qaida file was in 2000?
 
darkbeaver
Republican
+1
#8
Two more years and my tank will be operational, the T34 plans I have scaled down and substittuted a Toyota engine and a spring operated cannon a few hundred bucks and I'm off to crush Ottawa.
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Two more years and my tank will be operational, the T34 plans I have scaled down and substittuted a Toyota engine and a spring operated cannon a few hundred bucks and I'm off to crush Ottawa.

The Novas and their armoured subdivisions ...
 
Locutus
+4
#10  Top Rated Post
fun fact: assault rifles (weapons) are fully automatic. but anyway.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
+1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

The Novas and their armoured subdivisions ...

We started this country, you should have more respect, we can end it

You can't ban assault weapons, the economy needs the input, you'll drive production under and the country with it. With out assauylt weapons they'll just take your chickens and give you the finger.
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

We started this country, you should have more respect, we can end it

Are you referring to the wh0re houses that built up around Nelson's navy docks?
 
mentalfloss
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

fun fact: assault rifles (weapons) are fully automatic. but anyway.

Will you show us yours?
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Are you referring to the wh0re houses that built up around Nelson's navy docks?

The good old days.

You could tie up anywhere.

I remember the tea clippers fondly.

All the way to China to get some.

Trunceated by a Japanese torpedo, I was eaten by a shark. Sometimes you win sometimes you get eaten, no matter you still have to pass the test before you can retire to the garden.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+3 / -1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Ban assault weapons now: Our view

A common thread links the mass slaughters of first-graders in Newtown, Conn., of county workers in San Bernardino, Calif., and of nightclub patrons in Orlando: The killers used assault-style weapons that are efficient machines of murder.

Such weapons are accurate and quick, firing with just the twitch of a finger, perfect for mowing down human beings, particularly if equipped with high-capacity magazines. They have become the weapon of choice of people intent on mayhem, most recently Omar Mateen in Orlando, who brought an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle to the packed nightclub where he killed 49 and wounded 53 early Sunday.

Conveniently for aspiring mass killers, such weapons are easy to buy legally in most states. Which is one reason that after just about every mass shooting, there are calls for a national ban on this style of weapon, originally designed for war. And to outlaw the high-capacity magazines, with more than 10 rounds, that help make them so deadly.

Would these bans prevent all mass shootings? Of course not. Are they a substitute for doing everything possible to identify and thwart would-be Islamic terrorists? No. Would the bans save lives and make it harder to carry out mass murder? Yes. And that alone makes them worth doing.

Assault weapons were banned once before, for a decade starting in 1994. Law-abiding citizens were still able to defend themselves. Hunters were still able to hunt. Mass shootings did not end, but two studies suggest that the law helped by gradually reducing the number of assault weapons used in crimes.

While assault weapons equipped with high-capacity magazines are used in only a small percentage of crimes, holding down the size of magazines could save lives, Johns Hopkins' researchers reported in 2012. Even if the ban eventually prevented only 20% of those incidents, that would translate into 100 fewer homicides and 500 fewer people wounded by gunshots per year.

The 1994 law might have been even more successful had it been crafted more strictly. But gun makers are adept at finding legal loopholes, and this was no exception. They tweaked their products and sold the revised version legally.

Ban assault weapons now: Our view

As long as the government has assault rifles the populace needs them as well.
 
mentalfloss
-1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

As long as the government has assault rifles the populace needs them as well.

It's the other way around.
 
Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

The good old days.

You could tie up anywhere.

I remember the tea clippers fondly.

All the way to China to get some.

Trunceated by a Japanese torpedo, I was eaten by a shark. Sometimes you win sometimes you get eaten, no matter you still have to pass the test before you can retire to the garden.

Off to the drunk tank with ye three hots and a cot except on weekends
 
pgs
Free Thinker
+3
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

It's the other way around.

So you are comfortable living in a facist regime ?
 
mentalfloss
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

So you are comfortable living in a facist regime ?

That's not fascism.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+3
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

It's the other way around.

Nope. You are just naturally backwards.When the government has all the guns we are in deep doodoo.

But then since since you hate democracy you would not mind a fascist government.
 
mentalfloss
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Nope. You are just naturally backwards.When the government has all the guns we are in deep doodoo.

You are just naturally illiterate because that's not what I said.

It's not fascism.
 
gerryh
+2
#22
Stupidity.

The AR15 is a .223 caliber semi automatic.

This is also a .223 semi automatic

 
darkbeaver
Republican
+1 / -1
#23
If you ban assault weapons in the USA you undermine the USA military which depends on gun nuts to rape the planet, or the unemployed. The nation would fall apart.
 
skookumchuck
Free Thinker
+1
#24
Of course flossy would not want to ban the most efficient killing machine humanity has.....the automobile. You can purchase one anywhere without a license.
 
mentalfloss
#25
Orlando shooter's AR-15 rifle at centre of U.S. gun-control debate - Canada - CBC News

While proportionally speaking, AR-15s are involved in a very small number of homicides, they have undoubtedly become the weapon of choice for mass shooters, many of whom happen to be young men.

Hard-core Second Amendment supporters use the AR-15 like a symbol of liberty, while those who support stricter gun laws hold it up as an icon of policy gone wrong and proof the ban on some semi-automatic and automatic weapons should be reinstated.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#26
I thought it was time to ban "assault" weapons after Sandy Hook. Clear this up for me, mentalfloss.
 
mentalfloss
#27
I'm not sure about all assault weapons but there could be a good case made for this one.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I'm not sure about all assault weapons but there could be a good case made for this one.

How come?
 
Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

If you ban assault weapons in the USA you undermine the USA military which depends on gun nuts to rape the planet, or the unemployed. The nation would fall apart.

get off the farkin booze otis
 
EagleSmack
+1
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I'm not sure about all assault weapons but there could be a good case made for this one.

You're not sure of banning all assault weapons but a good case could be made for banning the AR-15? Because it is a symbol?

You are pretty dumb.
 

Similar Threads

3
Nuclear Weapons
by earth_as_one | Mar 4th, 2011
2
China's New Weapons
by CHUCKMAN | Jul 1st, 2007