Armed Forces Cyclone lost off Greece

Hoid
6 souls on board.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hel...cton-1.5549654

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Hoid
Prime minister about to speak on crash information

they have identified one dead crew member so far: Sub.-Lt. Abbigail Cowbrough of Nova Scotia

23 years old

Hoid
Sorry Cowborough was a navy type along for a ride of some sort.

There was also another non crew member on board.

Hoid
With the briefing over what we learned was that the good people of the Armed Forces are helping out with covid19 all across Canada.

No word on why a Canadian ship was searching for submarines off the coast of Greece or what exactly was the point of replacing the Sea King with a less safe and able air craft.

Many questions to be answered and rest assured they will not be.

petros
+2
They are on patrol for migrants not subs. Jeepers H Crackers!

Avro52
Everything I’ve read so far says it was a training exercise. Nothing about subs or brown people.

Tecumsehsbones
+6
#7  Top Rated Post
Fair winds and following seas, sailors.

My condolences to the families and friends of the departed.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro52 View Post

Everything Ive read so far says it was a training exercise. Nothing about subs or brown people.

That would be racist.

petros
+2
Poor bastards.

Avro52
Why?

Who doesn’t like a good sandwich?

Hoid
Vance said the RCAF has placed an operational pause on the CH-148 fleet, which has about 9,000 hours of flying time, until the flight safety team can determine the cause.

“I don’t have any lack of confidence in the fleet,” he said. “It is a sub hunter and it is good at it.”

https://www.verticalmag.com/news/5-m...rs-identified/

Well whoop dee ****ing doo.

If this was 1945 that would mean something.

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Vance said the RCAF has placed an operational pause on the CH-148 fleet, which has about 9,000 hours of flying time, until the flight safety team can determine the cause.
I dont have any lack of confidence in the fleet, he said. It is a sub hunter and it is good at it.
https://www.verticalmag.com/news/5-m...rs-identified/
Well whoop dee ****ing doo.
If this was 1945 that would mean something.

I see you never get tired of proving how much of an idiot you are. Well, we all need to be good at something. Being an idiot is your forte.

Hoid
In your case Im guessing - tattle tale?

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

I see you never get tired of proving how much of an idiot you are. Well, we all need to be good at something. Being an idiot is your forte.

FU too . Idiot .

Hoid
This is confusing now.

This is what comes of being too liberl with the ignore list

Jinentonix
+4

With the briefing over what we learned was that the good people of the Armed Forces are helping out with covid19 all across Canada.

No word on why a Canadian ship was searching for submarines off the coast of Greece or what exactly was the point of replacing the Sea King with a less safe and able air craft.

How many Sea Kings have crashed over the years? Considering the complexity of a helicopter, it's probably NOT a good idea to keep trying to maintain a fleet of 60 year old choppers. When it starts requiring almost a full day of servicing for every one hour of flight time, that's a pretty good indication they need replaced. As for your question, you're assuming facts about the crash before there are any.

taxslave
+1

Many questions to be answered and rest assured they will not be.

Nothing is less safe than a SeaKing.

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Nothing is less safe than a SeaKing.

What are the facts?

We flew Sea Kings for something like 50 years. Over 550K flight hours.

We lost 14 aircraft and 8 people.

So far we have lost 6 people with the replacement at about 9,000 hours.

But please, keep the ignorant commentary coming. You are comic relief in tough times.

B00Mer
+2
RIP, my condolences to their families..

Hoid
Word today that he aircraft went down within view of the ship and was witnessed by everyone on the flight deck.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cyc...cton-1.5555308
From the article, and amazingly tone deaf assertation:
Getting to the bottom of the crash in an open and transparent manner is going to be crucial to the future of the maritime helicopter program and regaining public confidence, said a defence procurement and management expert.
Military and civilian leadership at the Department of National Defence should try to avoid a repeat of the kind of blemish left on the submarine service by the 2004 fatal fire aboard HMCS Chicoutimi, said Dave Perry, vice president of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
-------------------------------------------------
Yes.
We wouldn't want to tarnish the reputation of an aircraft that is supposed to fly in all weather and crashes in calm clear seas.
Did I mention these things are supposed to float? Sort of like this:
That's pretty much the first requirement of a maritime helicopter.
I wouldn't want to diminish the value of this wonderful asset in the eyes of the adoring public.

taxslave
+1

What are the facts?
We flew Sea Kings for something like 50 years. Over 550K flight hours.
We lost 14 aircraft and 8 people.
So far we have lost 6 people with the replacement at about 9,000 hours.
But please, keep the ignorant commentary coming. You are comic relief in tough times.

You have never flown anything bigger than a balsa plane with an elastic band for power.
When I worked at Comox the regulars would go hide behind a brick wall every time a Sea King came in.

Hoid
+1

That's why the Sea King has always been the aircraft of choice for the POTUS.
If you knew anything about aircraft you would know why.
Safest most reliable helicopter ever designed.

Last edited by Hoid; May 5th, 2020 at 11:12 AM..

petros
+1

This is confusing now.
This is what comes of being too liberl with the ignore list

I have an ignore list too.

Hoid

you get the idea

even though you and all the other cooks in Comox used to hide whenever a Sea King landed it happens to be the safest most reliable VTOL aircraft ever produced and as such has been the choice for Marine One for quite some time now.

taxslave
+1
Some of those pictures are as old as e sea kings.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
That was a heck of a walk through history, Hoid.

Thank you.

Jinentonix
+1

And yet despite your idiotic bleating,it's being retired from the job. JUST like it was in Canada. And uh, the Sea King ISN'T ALWAYS the a/c of choice for the POTUS, he also flies in a VH-60N White Hawk.

BY the way, the Cyclones were a Liberal govt procurement. Look dude, I know you love the Sea King apparently, but it was a cost decision to replace it. Like I said, they were requiring up to a full days service for every hour of flight time. That's expensive and needlessly time consuming. By comparison, a relatively new civilian helicopter requires 3.5-4.5 hours of service for every hour of flight time. Military helicopters that aren't museum pieces take a bit longer, but not almost a friggin' day.

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

That was a heck of a walk through history, Hoid.

Thank you.

You're welcome.

Hoid
+1
Just bizarre news on CBC about the arrival of he body of the young lady killed in the crash arriving in Trenton, and all the details about how the casket will be handled and how 5 hats will be carried on five pillows for the unrecovered dead.

This is all in poor tatse.

Turning these things into media events and public celebrations is a particularity vulgar modern fad.

Hoid
Now the speculation is the there was a failure of the flight control system which bring into question the whole theory of fly by wire.

The Cyclone has no actual rigging. All controls are electronic.
Last edited by Hoid; 3 weeks ago at 10:50 AM..