How about eggs?

#juan
Quiche is an easy dish that can be put together in minutes, after you come up with a pie crust.

Pie crust ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
ice water

Directions:

Blend shortening, flour and salt with a fork.
Drizzle in ice water until the dough just sticks together.
Quickly form a ball and roll out so it will cover your pie plate
Trim and crimp the top edge.

Quiche ingredients:

3/4 cup grated cheese(Gruyer, Emmental, or Cheddar.)
4 eggs
two cups milk
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
3 slices just crisp bacon cut into 1/2 inch pieces

Directions

Spread cheese on the bottom of pie shell
spread bacon over cheese
Whisk eggs, milk, and parsley together and pour over
cheese and bacon

Bake in 350 degree oven for forty minutes. Let the quiche cool for ten minutes and serve.

All kinds of things can be added to a quiche before cooking; like sliced mushrooms, shrimp, chopped spinach, sliced smoked salmon, etc...Go crazy..
Last edited by #juan; Jun 27th, 2009 at 04:26 PM..

Galadriel
Sounds delicious - but - what on earth is 'shortening' ?

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post

I don't know if I can help you if you haven't heard of shortening. Brand names of shortening: Crisco, Tenderflake, Hell, use lard..

Nuggler
Real men don't eat quiche

darkbeaver
If we wus told it was egg stew we would eat it.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

If we wus told it was egg stew we would eat it.

Long as it had bacon bits and some raw hamburg.

darkbeaver
and ketchup

#juan
It's not quiche. It's bacon and egg pie with cheese....

SirJosephPorter

I remember you mentioning that you live in Britain. No wonder you don’t know what shortening is, I don't think it is a British word. Shortening means some kind of oil (edible oil, of course). I think the word is used only in North America.
Last edited by SirJosephPorter; Jun 19th, 2009 at 06:38 PM..

Galadriel
I am going to try and make this today. In place of 'shortening' I will use a blend of butter and lard, as I would with pastry.

Chev
Shortening is basically the same thing as lard, lard is fat. I wouldn't use oil instead of lard in a recipe becuase the oil would change the consistency of the batter. Lard is thick and fairly hard. Cooking oil is liquid.

#juan

I am going to try and make this today. In place of 'shortening' I will use a blend of butter and lard, as I would with pastry.

For really good pastry, lard is best. My mom told me years ago that to make nice, flaky pastry, you use lard and don't handle it too much. Good luck...

Niflmir
Yeah, one cannot buy shortening here in Germany... at least I haven't found it anywhere.

Should be able to find some substitute... it's only pie crust.

talloola
After all of these years gone by, I have stopped making devilled egg sandwitches,
I now cook a batch of scrambled eggs, not the true scrambelled egg, but ones
which you scramble in the pan while they are cooking.
I use grape seed oil, and margarine to cook eggs, and add chopped green onion
while they cook, (a little grated cheese could be added as well, optional)
While eggs cook, separate them into portions in pan, and form little omellettes,
then egg will hold together inside sandwitch.
Prepare sandwitches and add scrambled egg , while still warm.
Sandwitches are tasty and creamy, without having to add any mayonnaise at all.
Much nicer than devilled egg, and without that mayonnaise, healthier too.
Last edited by talloola; Jun 20th, 2009 at 06:28 PM..

SirJosephPorter
Quote: Originally Posted by Niflmir View Post

Yeah, one cannot buy shortening here in Germany... at least I haven't found it anywhere.

Should be able to find some substitute... it's only pie crust.

You live in Germany? I didnít know.

Anyway, I remember that in Britain you could buy ready made pastry. There were two types, puff pastry and short crust pastry. You simply buy the pastry and line the pie plate with it.

Something like that may be available in Germany. It will save you the trouble of making pastry; you can buy it ready made.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

You live in Germany? I didnít know.

Anyway, I remember that in Britain you could buy ready made pastry. There were two types, puff pastry and short crust pastry. You simply buy the pastry and line the pie plate with it.

Something like that may be available in Germany. It will save you the trouble of making pastry; you can buy it ready made.

I can't believe you can't buy lard in Germany. I was in Germany for three and a half years with the Airforce. I didn't do any cooking but I certainly sampled all kinds of great pastry. People must be able to buy Schweinfett or lard.

SirJosephPorter

Talloola, I have found that yogurt works quite well in many places where mayonnaise is used. And it has a lot fewer calories. Mayonnaises is around 70% oil.

talloola

Talloola, I have found that yogurt works quite well in many places where mayonnaise is used. And it has a lot fewer calories. Mayonnaises is around 70% oil.

That's right, we use yogurt with our breakfast every morning, on our oatmeal,
with granola, ground flax & sesame seeds, mashed banana, a couple of walnuts, and a drizzle of maple syrup over the top.
I use yogurt in place of whipping cream in many cases as well, but there are
times when you can't replace whipping cream with anything else.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

After all of these years gone by, I have stopped making devilled egg sandwitches,
I now cook a batch of scrambled eggs, not the true scrambelled egg, but ones
which you scramble in the pan while they are cooking.
I use grape seed oil, and margarine to cook eggs, and add chopped green onion
while they cook, (a little grated cheese could be added as well, optional)
While eggs cook, separate them into portions in pan, and form little omellettes,
then egg will hold together inside sandwitch.
Prepare sandwitches and add scrambled egg , while still warm.

Sounds good Talloola

A few years back I bought a set of crumpet forms. They are just a round metal ring about an inch high and maybe five inches in diameter. You can whip up a kind of two egg omelet, put one of these rings on your hot greased pan and pour in your omelet. Once it is in and cooking, you can add a tablespoon of water to the pan and put on the lid. The egg will be solid in about three minutes. They fit an ordinary sandwich nicely. In the omelet I dump in chopped ham, onions, diced cheddar....whatever...

#juan
Has anyone here successfully used those little egg cups with the lid to cook eggs in the microwave? I can't seem to find the combination between mostly raw and petrified.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Has anyone here successfully used those little egg cups with the lid to cook eggs in the microwave? I can't seem to find the combination between mostly raw and petrified.

I used to constantly make eggs in the microwave when I was a kid. For a fried egg sandwich effect we would simply scramble an egg into a square tupperware dish... it would fit the sandwich perfectly that way, and you could watch to make sure you didn't petrify it. As for the cups, I've never tried because I've stopped microwaving any kind of plastic.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I used to constantly make eggs in the microwave when I was a kid. For a fried egg sandwich effect we would simply scramble an egg into a square tupperware dish... it would fit the sandwich perfectly that way, and you could watch to make sure you didn't petrify it. As for the cups, I've never tried because I've stopped microwaving any kind of plastic.

We have Pyrex and Corningware dishes with lids that work after a fashion, but they get really hot in the microwave. Jan bought a set of bright yellow plates because she liked the color. The plates were made in China and a note on the bottom attested that they were microwave-safe. While reheating some leftovers, one of these new yellow plates exploded into a hundred pieces. I assume they are only safe in Chinese microwaves...

talloola
That's scarry juan, hope you found all the little pieces of glass.

Just a side note of interest: (maybe). My grandaughter is staying the phillipines
for two months working with homeless children, and sending us little pieces of info
regarding their food.
They eat eggs, with the chickens (or ducks),still in them, (only at night though), ???? some sort of custom, and if it is daytime, one must put on a blindfold.
For me, they would have to add a straighjacket.
Pigs ears, intestines, I just can't continue, I'm gagging.

#juan

Just a side note of interest: (maybe). My grandaughter is staying the phillipines
for two months working with homeless children, and sending us little pieces of info
regarding their food.
They eat eggs, with the chickens (or ducks),still in them, (only at night though), ???? some sort of custom, and if it is daytime, one must put on a blindfold.

What is funny, is the fact that the turntable in the microwave never gets hot. Gee, a hot flash. Why don't we make microwave dishes out of the same material as the turntable.

#juan

regarding their food.

I once opened a chicken egg that had a lot of blood and a partially formed embryo in it. We got those eggs from a farmer who advertised good prices on eggs. Prices weren't nearly good enough. Didn't do my appetite much good.......Nor would pig's ears or intestines..

karrie

regarding their food.

On an intellectual level, I don't get why you're gagging.... we eat intestines in a lot of Western cooking... usually as casing for our sausages which are made of any assortment of gross scrap meats. We sell pork rinds, which is really not much different from pig ears. And the fact that people chaw down salmon bones in canned fish doesn't seem any grosser than eating half formed chicken bones.

On another level though, I have issues with texture, etc., and the thought of eating egg with crunchy bits... blech.

talloola

On an intellectual level, I don't get why you're gagging.... we eat intestines in a lot of Western cooking... usually as casing for our sausages which are made of any assortment of gross scrap meats. We sell pork rinds, which is really not much different from pig ears. And the fact that people chaw down salmon bones in canned fish doesn't seem any grosser than eating half formed chicken bones.

On another level though, I have issues with texture, etc., and the thought of eating egg with crunchy bits... blech.

It's all in the brain, what we are accustomed to over the years, and I'm sure
there are many who would gag thinking of some of the food we eat, I don't
eat port rinds, yeah those salmon bones get mashed into the meat, so seem
to dissapear, you're right about the sausages of course, but again the brain
doesn't see it that way, but we don't eat intestines by themselves.
I know my dad used to eat tripe, and loved it, and I wouldn't touch it with a
ten foot pole.
Eggs are one of my favourite foods, in any form, (not raw), and I don't want
to do anything to 'put me off of eggs', and the above would do it.
My grandaughter tried it all, 'didn't like the pigs ear'.

SirJosephPorter
Talloola, tripe and onion is a common dish in Britain.

Eggs are one of my favourite foods, in any form, (not raw),

Do you drink eggnog? Surely it has raw eggs?

AnnaG

lol I am with you on that. I don't like fish canned with bones still in; it's like eating bits of chalk. We make our own sausages sometimes, and are picky about which meats go into them. Moose is best because we mix it with bacon (home cured) from the fellow down the road.
Eggs are awesome any way I can get em cept rotten and raw.
Poached in cream and loaded onto slabs of sourdough. Yummy
Scrambled eggs with Louisiana Hot Sauce in them on toast is also damned yummy.
Nix the ughnog.

talloola

Talloola, tripe and onion is a common dish in Britain.

Eggs are one of my favourite foods, in any form, (not raw),

Do you drink eggnog? Surely it has raw eggs?

Yep, my parents were born in dublin, dad and london/eng, mom, and she hated
tripe, but cooked for my dad.

Yeah, I've had egg nog, some of which I didn't like, tasted too raw eggy,
but I like the commercial type.