... and here comes the food shortages I said would happen


Twin_Moose
+3
#61
‘Instead of Coronavirus, the Hunger Will Kill Us.’ A Global Food Crisis Looms.

Like Boomer was saying it isn't the lack of food it's the logistics to get it there
 
B00Mer
+3
#62
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

‘Instead of Coronavirus, the Hunger Will Kill Us.’ A Global Food Crisis Looms.
Like Boomer was saying it isn't the lack of food it's the logistics to get it there

Can you say Global Depression??

COVID-19 outbreak at B.C. chicken processing plant; 28 employees tested positive

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/covid-1...tive-1.4905998


2 Alberta meat plants affected by COVID-19 make up 70% of Canada’s beef processing capabilities

https://globalnews.ca/news/6857867/a...ef-production/



Employee of Calgary chicken plant tests positive for COVID-19 as union calls for closure

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ghes-1.5542049


There are 100's of meat packing plants closed across the USA and Canada now..

But here is what is coming next, because truckers and trucking companies are starting to think about going on strike for better laws, wages, and hours..

It's starting in Europe, Brazil and other countries..

Breaking News: Truckers block interstate 610 in Houston to protest low rates

https://www.freightbrokerlive.com/br...est-low-rates/


Truckers’ strike highlights ‘a dangerous moment’ for Brazil’s democracy

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-temer-economy

things are going from bad to worse...

So once again, get to the grocery store and get canned stew, chicken, that will keep for 6 months, and get 6 months worth.

I'm not trying to panic people, I'm trying to warn you to be prepared, now!!

Fortunately I have my load and I'm on my way to Texas, I'll be returning with either Mangoes or Avacados for Canadians
 
petros
+2
#63
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

So once again, get to the grocery store and get canned stew, chicken, that will keep for 6 months, and get 6 months worth.
I'm not trying to panic people, I'm trying to warn you to be prepared, now!!

or cook like an immigrant and make one month of food last six.
 
B00Mer
+1
#64
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

or cook like an immigrant and make one month of food last six.

If that is how you want to live

But YOU might get tired of pierogies after the 180th day
 
pgs
+1
#65
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Can you say Global Depression??

COVID-19 outbreak at B.C. chicken processing plant; 28 employees tested positive

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/covid-1...tive-1.4905998


2 Alberta meat plants affected by COVID-19 make up 70% of Canada’s beef processing capabilities

https://globalnews.ca/news/6857867/a...ef-production/



Employee of Calgary chicken plant tests positive for COVID-19 as union calls for closure

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ghes-1.5542049


There are 100's of meat packing plants closed across the USA and Canada now..

But here is what is coming next, because truckers and trucking companies are starting to think about going on strike for better laws, wages, and hours..

It's starting in Europe, Brazil and other countries..

Breaking News: Truckers block interstate 610 in Houston to protest low rates

https://www.freightbrokerlive.com/br...est-low-rates/


Truckers’ strike highlights ‘a dangerous moment’ for Brazil’s democracy

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-temer-economy

things are going from bad to worse...

So once again, get to the grocery store and get canned stew, chicken, that will keep for 6 months, and get 6 months worth.

I'm not trying to panic people, I'm trying to warn you to be prepared, now!!

Fortunately I have my load and I'm on my way to Texas, I'll be returning with either Mangoes or Avacados for Canadians

You should hold your load off pork hostage , might bring double .
 
pgs
#66
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

If that is how you want to live

But YOU might get tired of pierogies after the 180th day

Yet you are carrying food products north and south . Tell me when you canít get anything .
 
B00Mer
#67
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

You should hold your load off pork hostage , might bring double .

No I have a pretty good contract..
 
B00Mer
+1
#68
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Yet you are carrying food products north and south . Tell me when you can’t get anything .

I'm having a hard time finding loads south.. but my contract supplies Costco and Lawblaws..

However, I am seeing drivers parking their trucks because of the rates, I used to get $3600 USD, now I'm getting $3400 CAD southbound..

Many O/O won't run for those price and have parked their rigs.

I run, because things with get better, and the broker will remember me for not quitting. Still making $2400 CAD for the trip vs $3400 CAD
 
pgs
#69
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

I'm having a hard time finding loads south.. but my contract supplies Costco and Lawblaws..

However, I am seeing drivers parking their trucks because of the rates, I used to get $3600 USD, now I'm getting $3400 CAD southbound..

Many O/O won't run for those price and have parked their rigs.

I run, because things with get better, and the broker will remember me for not quitting. Still making $2400 CAD for the trip vs $3400 CAD

Fuel prices must even things out .
 
B00Mer
+2
#70
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Fuel prices must even things out .

Fuel prices are great!! But no they far from even things out.

I'm 80,000 lbs running down the highway, the truck gets 6.8 mpg either way..



Which a lot of folk don't seem to understand when they cut in front of us in traffic..

That used to be a pickup truck.
Last edited by B00Mer; Apr 24th, 2020 at 08:17 AM..
 
pgs
#71
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Fuel prices are great!! But no they far from even things out.

I'm 80,000 lbs running down the highway, the truck gets 6.8 mpg either way

But you probably save three hundred or more per trip . That does not make up the shortfall but does lessen it .
 
B00Mer
+4
#72
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

But you probably save three hundred or more per trip . That does not make up the shortfall but does lessen it .

Ive lost 50% of my revenue per trip south, a few hundred isn't going to replace a few thousand..

$3600 USD is to Canadian is $5,062.21 CAD

Now they are paying only $3400 CAD.

A shortfall of $1600 X 3 trips $5400 lost.

Fuel savings maybe $1000 in the month

Net loss $4400, my truck payments are $3535 per month on this truck, oil change and filters $525, insurance, trailer rental, and so on..

I'm dam near working for free right now.
 
captain morgan
+4
#73
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

or cook like an immigrant and make one month of food last six.

Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

If that is how you want to live

But YOU might get tired of pierogies after the 180th day


Gotta LOVE perogies!


Lotsa butter, bacon bits and croutons.


Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post




Which a lot of folk don't seem to understand when they cut in front of us in traffic..

That used to be a pickup truck.


Good God...


Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Ive lost 50% of my revenue per trip south, a few hundred isn't going to replace a few thousand..

$3600 USD is to Canadian is $5,062.21 CAD

Now they are paying only $3400 CAD.

A shortfall of $1600 X 3 trips $5400 lost.

Fuel savings maybe $1000 in the month

Net loss $4400, my truck payments are $3535 per month on this truck, oil change and filters $525, insurance, trailer rental, and so on..

I'm dam near working for free right now.


I'll wager that you'll be the first called when the rates normalize again.


Sorry for the short term pain, but my hat's off to you for making a prudent, long range business decision.
 
Avro52
+1
#74
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

It ain't meat.

So similar to processed meat.

Just saying if you don't want to eat real meat beyond meat seems to the trick.

For me....it's real fresh meat all the way.

My feelings wont get hurt if others feel differently.
 
spaminator
+1
#75
http://torontosun.com/news/world/u-s...-sell-potatoes
 
B00Mer
+1
#76
No way really, now the news is reporting food shortages


U.S. Could Be Weeks From Meat Shortages With Shutdowns Spreading

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us...ng/ar-BB139I9V
 
B00Mer
+1
#77
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

http://torontosun.com/news/world/u-s...-sell-potatoes

Restaurants are closed, McDonald's isn't buying.. cut my contract..
 
B00Mer
#78
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro52 View Post

So similar to processed meat.
Just saying if you don't want to eat real meat beyond meat seems to the trick.
For me....it's real fresh meat all the way.
My feelings wont get hurt if others feel differently.

Okay, how does flooring taste..

I go to my butcher for fresh cuts, not processed.
 
Twin_Moose
+1
#79
End the lockdown protests are going to get louder with BBQ season in full swing.

Market prices are dropping with less demand and feedlots filling up. Butcher cows are down to $0.60/lb.
 
B00Mer
+1
#80
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

End the lockdown protests are going to get louder with BBQ season in full swing.

The meat plants are closed because employees are infected with COVID-19..

Do you want that in your BBQ meat?
 
Twin_Moose
+2
#81
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

The meat plants are closed because employees are infected with COVID-19..
Do you want that in your BBQ meat?

Do you think people will be thinking or paying attention to that when a burger/steak craving hit?
 
Dixie Cup
+3
#82
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Ive lost 50% of my revenue per trip south, a few hundred isn't going to replace a few thousand..

$3600 USD is to Canadian is $5,062.21 CAD

Now they are paying only $3400 CAD.

A shortfall of $1600 X 3 trips $5400 lost.

Fuel savings maybe $1000 in the month

Net loss $4400, my truck payments are $3535 per month on this truck, oil change and filters $525, insurance, trailer rental, and so on..

I'm dam near working for free right now.



I have found that most people have no idea what it is like to be an entrepreneur and what risks people take to be one Boomer! The lack of knowledge is quite disturbing because, as you know, "business people are rich and need to pay their fair share" right? They have no idea of the costs involved; the risks one takes to operate a business be it a trucker (singular) a trucking company (plural) or a local store selling merchandise. It's appalling that basic business economics aren't taught in any of our educational institutions or if they are, they're doing a p. poor job of it.


Just sayin....
 
B00Mer
+1
#83
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

I have found that most people have no idea what it is like to be an entrepreneur and what risks people take to be one Boomer! The lack of knowledge is quite disturbing because, as you know, "business people are rich and need to pay their fair share" right? They have no idea of the costs involved; the risks one takes to operate a business be it a trucker (singular) a trucking company (plural) or a local store selling merchandise. It's appalling that basic business economics aren't taught in any of our educational institutions or if they are, they're doing a p. poor job of it.
Just sayin....

The ones hurt most right now are the small businesses that are on commission, or don't get a weekly wage in some cases.

Hair dressers, carpet cleaners, mechanics, car salesmen (commissioned) so no federal stimulus, painters, and I could name plenty that don't qualify from Trudeau's stimulus..

Oh yeah, Dentists like the Nova Scotia shooter..????

He screwed up so many Canadians, where Trump said you filed taxes, you get your $2500 USD..

So I quickly caught my taxes up-to-date in the USA 2 years
Last edited by B00Mer; Apr 27th, 2020 at 12:03 PM..
 
B00Mer
+1
#84
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Do you think people will be thinking or paying attention to that when a burger/steak craving hit?

Agh! Fukk it! Ya'll need a diet anyway.

Just Say'in
 
Avro52
#85
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Okay, how does flooring taste..
I go to my butcher for fresh cuts, not processed.

That's a good way of getting good quality meat or just go to a local farm.

Buckingham's here in Shwa is a good butcher.
 
taxslave
+1
#86
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

End the lockdown protests are going to get louder with BBQ season in full swing.
Market prices are dropping with less demand and feedlots filling up. Butcher cows are down to $0.60/lb.

Not being reflected in the store shelf. Neither is the lower trucking costs.
 
taxslave
+2
#87
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

The ones hurt most right now are the small businesses that are on commission, or don't get a weekly wage in some cases.
Hair dressers, carpet cleaners, mechanics, car salesmen (commissioned) so no federal stimulus, painters, and I could name plenty that don't qualify from Trudeau's stimulus..
Oh yeah, Dentists like the Nova Scotia shooter..????
He screwed up so many Canadians, where Trump said you filed taxes, you get your $2500 USD..
So I quickly caught my taxes up-to-date in the USA 2 years

Hairdressers for sure qualify. Many of the rest either qualify for EI or some other program.
 
DaSleeper
+1
#88
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Hairdressers for sure qualify. Many of the rest either qualify for EI or some other program.

Don't need no hairdresser ......
 
petros
+2
#89
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

If that is how you want to live
But YOU might get tired of pierogies after the 180th day

Never.
 
petros
+1
#90
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Don't need no hairdresser ......

I do. I'm getting an illicit haircut this eve. I hate hair in my eyes.
 

Similar Threads

53
45
Canada with global food shortages
by polaris | Jan 29th, 2011
1
Gaza: Chronic shortages of food and medicine.
by earth_as_one | Feb 16th, 2009
5
food shortages
by Nuggler | Apr 23rd, 2008