I'm not being sarcastic, at all.
Its just that by being Christian..I get lots of benefit like-
-Love
-Idea
-Home in afterlife

What will YOU give me?
"What will God do for me?" ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

hermanntrude
I'm not sure it's a matter of benefit. You can't really choose what you believe. You can't think to yourself "I'd be better off believing in the teachings of the Buddha" and suddenly believe them.

YoungJoonKim
Well..I think of the benefit before working for someone..won't you? :P

hermanntrude
yes but that's a totally different issue. In my way of thinking, belief only stems from knowledge. Now I understand that Christians insist on another way, ie believing with no proof, ie faith, which is fine and dandy, but if the only reason for believing is your own reward, perhaps you don't actually believe, but just want to? After all, you could believe in Islam and still feel the same things. Allah is said to bring love, and provide an afterlife... in fact most modern-day religions are based upon a loving Deity and some form of reward in the afterlife. But you didn't just go out and pick the one that sounded best, did you?

karrie
Atheism will get you as much as being Christian will get you. It will get you faith in your view of the world. Assurance of your place in the grand scheme of things. A solid view of what it is that drives humanity.

They are opposite sides of the coin, but both offer many of the same things.

Unforgiven
Well, you can't have that, but if you're an American citizen you are entitled to:
a heated kidney shaped pool,
a microwave oven--don't watch the food cook,
a Dyna-Gym--I'll personally demonstrate it in the privacy of your own home,
a king-size Titanic unsinkable Molly Brown waterbed with polybendum,
a foolproof plan and an airtight alibi,
real simulated Indian jewelry,
a Gucci shoetree,
a year's supply of antibiotics,
a personally autographed picture of Randy Mantooth
and Bob Dylan's new unlisted phone number,
a beautifully restored 3rd Reich swizzle stick,
Rosemary's baby,
a dream date in kneepads with Paul Williams,
a new Matador, a new mastodon,
a Maverick, a Mustang, a Montego,
a Merc Montclair, a Mark IV, a meteor,
a Mercedes, an MG, or a Malibu,
a Mort Moriarty, a Maserati, a Mac truck,
a Mazda, a new Monza, or a moped,
a Winnebago--Hell, a herd of Winnebago's we're giving 'em away,
or how about a McCulloch chainsaw,
a Las Vegas wedding,
a Mexican divorce,
a solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot,
or a baby's arm holding an apple?

YoungJoonKim
Quote:

Atheism will get you as much as being Christian will get you. It will get you faith in your view of the world. Assurance of your place in the grand scheme of things. A solid view of what it is that drives humanity.

They are opposite sides of the coin, but both offer many of the same things.

Gee, thanks.
Unfortunately, I already have those elements as human beings.
So not much of benefit

Ladies and gentlemen, when I mean benefit, I mean benefit.
Jesus assures, "love" for those who accept him.
Now, if Jesus said, "I'm God, therefore, believe me"
Not a chance, no.
Allah doesn't assure me his love for me, so, not a chance. So no.

I want my benefit and I mean benefit.

YoungJoonKim
hermanntrude,
thanks for you're input.
I don't want reward in after life.
I find that benefit and reward is different thing.
You receive benefit because you work for someone/something, for long period of time.
Reward is like giving a bone to a dog after performing nice trick.
Fortunately, I am no toy of God, never thought to me.

Well, I want benefit.
And I am asking for benefit and what is benefit of being atheist?
I don't think I am going to be super smart by being atheist...
I don't think I can be ever open minded than the state of now..
I make rational decisions..
These elements are I already have as human being.
So I ask again, what is my benefit?

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by YoungJoonKim View Post

What do I benefit from being atheist?
-Love
-Idea
-Home in afterlife

What will YOU give me?

I won't give you anything for being an atheist except congratulations. Taking a philosophical position based on the benefits it provides to you personally is not a good basis for analyzing the issues. The major benefit of being an atheist is that your mind isn't cluttered up with an inconsistent mythological view of the world that claims to be the absolute truth. You will think more clearly and correctly, you will understand the world around you better, you will have fewer erroneous preconceived notions, and you'll be responsible for what you do.

And if that's not good enough, consider this: you'll have Sundays free to do whatever you want, you'll have more money because you won't be giving any of it to the church, and you'll have more free time because you won't spend any of it praying or trying to fit the findings of science into a pre-scientific and mostly pre-literate Bronze Age view of reality.

Dreadful Nonsense

What do I benefit from being atheist?
I mean..I need to know.
I need to know what I will receive by being atheist
I'm not being sarcastic, at all.
-Love
-Idea
-Home in afterlife

What will YOU give me?
"What will God do for me?" ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

sooooooo you think by being christian you get a home in the afterlife....

Love...i'll give that to you...Jesus inspires love
Idea....carefull of those....LOL!!!

I can't believe you think it's as easy as just believing in something you get the stuff they tell you ....

You don't like the deep end do you....

Unforgiven

Gee, thanks.
So not much of benefit

Not a chance, no.

You know the old saying, you can win the trial but good luck collecting.
You want love? Buy a puppy and raise it well. You will have all the love you want. Right here right now.

YoungJoonKim
Nah..puppy will die though.
I will be sad and I don't want to be sad.
Besides, I have to raise a puppy and its annoying.
Last edited by YoungJoonKim; Aug 25th, 2007 at 05:26 PM..

YoungJoonKim
Quote:

ooooooo you think by being christian you get a home in the afterlife....

Love...i'll give that to you...Jesus inspires love
Idea....carefull of those....LOL!!!

I can't believe you think it's as easy as just believing in something you get the stuff they tell you ....

You don't like the deep end do you....

Home afterlife... I meant that I would "live" afterlife, sorry hehe
Barrier (physical) among us is obviously a problem in this world as it creates every bad aspect of everything.

No, I don't think Jesus inspires just love. I think he inspires what must we do as to our daily life, with benefit included (weee).

I love ideas, frankly, I choose to have this idea (WWJD - What would Jesus do).

Sure, why not.
Its not like I'm believing that alien will abduct me and bring me to better world!
hehe

Every single night, I would go on to my bed and think about how tragic and happy it was.
Also, my mistakes in terms of what would Jesus do.
I don't think that I have reached deepest of my conscious, just a scratch.

look3467

Gee, thanks.
So not much of benefit

Not a chance, no.

With due respect for what you are saying dear brother, yes, there are benefits in Jesus as promised by Him, but, for non-believers there are no such benefits because there is no faith to receive them.

Yet, they are human souls as we both are, and we are instructed to love them as we love ourselves, nothing added, and nothing taken away.

So, share what you have with them in a loving way, and allow them to decide for themselves what they want.

We can still all be friends and help each other out any any given situation, that is, if we don't think ourselves more worthy than they.

Let's say you were a helicopter pilot, a very religious one at that, and a SOS call came out for a rescue of a sinking ship personnel OK?

Your Captain gave you instructions to go rescue them all. So you went and there were six man in the water waiting to be rescued, two were Muslims, one Catholic, two atheist and one a Satanist.

All 6 souls were in the grip of dying, yet you came along and rescued all, no questions asked.

You placed your life on the line for them, regardless of who they were or what they believed.

What if there were a storm that would have made the rescue almost impossible, would rescuing them still have the same effort?

God is the Captain who sent out Jesus the pilot to rescue us, of whoever we are and whatever we believed.
Did not Jesus heal the 10 lepers men and only one returned to Thank Him?
Luke 17:11 to 18.

Get my point?

Peace>>>AJ

Toro
There is no upside.

If you die, and there is a God, you go to hell.

If there is no God, then you've lost nothing.

catman
You get to sleep in Sunday mornings.

talloola
Whatever you get in this world you have to 'earn', and even then there is no guarantee.

Doesn't matter what your religion is, or isn't, makes no difference, life is life, you make it or
you break it.
Last edited by talloola; Aug 27th, 2007 at 04:00 PM..

Dreadful Nonsense
YoungJoonKim....who do really think Jesus was....Have you heard him speak to you.....you know Buddha once said that no one could help you but yourself.....why do you need some person dead 2000 year now to help you.....

I love the words of love and the message of love this great man left us...I am wary of exactly what he said due to Constantine's changing him onto a God..yuo do realize the original followers never thought of him as a god or the Son of god?.....

YoungJoonKim
er...but that has nothing to do with my benefit...
Whether he be a God (Son of God) or just a prophet, benefits still lives.
And Buddha doesn't guarantee me of my benefit..
More like he doesn't have authority to do so weeee

lone wolf
You don't feel obligated to pay tithe....

Wolf

Dreadful Nonsense

More like he doesn't have authority to do so weeee

where did buddha say he had the authority to gaurantee you benefit.He did say he could not help anyone you know....his main teaching is to not to look at any god, demon or even him to help you......odd way of looking at someone in a any case....

so does jesus have the authority to give you benefit?.....or are you saying you have granted a dead man the authortiy to give you benefit.....all very strange....reminds me of science fiction ....

Toro
Quote: Originally Posted by catman View Post

You get to sleep in Sunday mornings.

I already do that.

I'm a lazy Christian.

Dexter Sinister

More like he doesn't have authority to do so

What makes you think Jesus' promises carry any more weight? Doesn't matter what Jesus or Buddha or anybody else promised or didn't promise, the question is, can they deliver? It should be obvious that there are no promises in this life, good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people all the time, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, and there's no evidence it has anything to do with religious belief or lack of it. As for the next life, we don't even know there is one, nobody's ever come back to confirm it and the evidence is strongly against it. And if there isn't one, what good are anyone's promises about it? Sounds like you're working from a poorly thought-out version of Pascal's Wager. There's a pretty decent and comprehensible discussion of it here. Maybe that'll help you clarify your thoughts.

lena
your born ya live ya die.............what the hell we talkin about..you want more then go to local jeezuss freaks...whose mad at what???? I'll try to get back but I do have a life. makes me a troll I guess LOL

Niflmir
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

What makes you think Jesus' promises carry any more weight? Doesn't matter what Jesus or Buddha or anybody else promised or didn't promise, the question is, can they deliver? It should be obvious that there are no promises in this life, good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people all the time, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, and there's no evidence it has anything to do with religious belief or lack of it. As for the next life, we don't even know there is one, nobody's ever come back to confirm it and the evidence is strongly against it. And if there isn't one, what good are anyone's promises about it? Sounds like you're working from a poorly thought-out version of Pascal's Wager. There's a pretty decent and comprehensible discussion of it here. Maybe that'll help you clarify your thoughts.

Scheiswetter, Dex! You are always beating me to the punch. I was even going to invent some afterlife that splits your soul in two each time you die if you didn't believe in its religion. Then one soul goes to hell and you experience real suffering for eternity and the other soul goes back to Earth, whereupon if you don't believe in the religion again the cycle continues. Exponential increasing penalty, beat that Pascal.

Unforgiven

Nah..puppy will die though.
I will be sad and I don't want to be sad.
Besides, I have to raise a puppy and its annoying.

Only for a little while. But you will be very very happy for a long time. And as you move through your life, you will find it a blessing to have allowed many a fine animal to teach you so much in return for so little.

Being sad isn't always a bad thing. Enough of it will build your character into something you can be proud of. And of course, those about you will admire you for it and those you influence will try to ape you because of it.

If all you want is total bliss, simply kill yourself with an overdose while having sex. Happy as can be forever into oblivion. I mean if that's what your into.

MikeyDB
Rectal security....yer not a Catholic.....

Ham sandwiches...yer not a Jew....

If yer a woman....travel to foreign nations to live in peace....yer not a Moslem....

lots of benefits from being free of the millstone of insecurity....

Daelin
If you're an atheist, the benefit of being an atheist is that you're not pretending you're something else.

If you're seriously considering choosing one belief system, or lack thereof, over another purely on consideration of its benefits, think harder. Choose what you actually believe, not what will benefit you the most.

El Barto
i prefer free thinker than Atheist.
But Atheist are not bound or shape their thinking by religious fears. Altho an Atheist will spend their time thinking and proving there 's no god.
I rather look at the philosophy behind the religion, hold on to what makes sense or agrees with me.
I choose to believe what i believe with the back thought that ' hey I might be wrong'
Religious beliefs don't have that room to maneuver with.

So the world and possibilities are much more open toa non- believer.

look3467
Quote: Originally Posted by El Barto View Post

i prefer free thinker than Atheist.
But Atheist are not bound or shape their thinking by religious fears. Altho an Atheist will spend their time thinking and proving there 's no god.
I rather look at the philosophy behind the religion, hold on to what makes sense or agrees with me.
I choose to believe what i believe with the back thought that ' hey I might be wrong'
Religious beliefs don't have that room to maneuver with.

So the world and possibilities are much more open toa non- believer.

It is evident that to a non believer God is more open to.
To His own He came and His own rejected Him, so He went after the other sheep.

There is a reason for all of it and that is that by rejection, the whole would be saved.

It is easier to make the stones cry out then to convince a religious person of any new thing.
This whole discussion is about those two opposites, the stones and the religious.

It is not until the religious gain understanding, will they be as stones, whose hearts need to be changed to flesh instead of stone.

The law was given in stone, but now can be written in the hearts of flesh, that is, if there is a change.
Need not be religious to exercise the heart of flesh, but it helps.

Peace>>>AJ
Last edited by look3467; Sep 24th, 2007 at 10:03 AM..Reason: Word change