Compact Fluorescent Bulbs are Making People Sick

Stretch

By: disinter
Tags: SCIENCE/HEALTH
Compact fluorescent light bulbs are filling home and office environments with dangerous electromagnetic pollution, causing devastating health effects on some people. Neurologists are increasingly taking notice of the headaches and migraines being reported by people exposed to compact fluorescent light bulbs.

It's all part of the plan.......... just how many things have been foisted on us only to turn out to be detrimental to our health? purely a coincedence, nothing to worry about....NOT!!
Last edited by Stretch; Jan 20th, 2009 at 01:33 PM..

lone wolf
I just hate the colour....

L Gilbert
Stretch, how much EMR are you sucking up in front of your monitor?

Stretch
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Stretch, how much EMR are you sucking up in front of your monitor?

heaps, but then I'm not infront of it all day every day.......these globes are in our lives all day, every day.

L Gilbert
You live in darkness 24/7?
How awful.

lone wolf
How close to your lightbulb do you sit?

Stretch
I'm just passing on the message, do with it as you wish!

L Gilbert
I am. I usually view the messages with amusement.
Watch it, Stretch, if you sit on a seat that had a pregnant person on it just before you, you'll get pregnant.
Paranoia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ron in Regina
Four years ago I replaced every lightbulb in my home (except the ones in the
fridges and stoves) with CFL's. It was a fairly expensive purchase at the time,
but I did it to save money on my power bill. I haven't noticed any savings on
my power bill....but I haven't had to change a single one of those CFL's in the
last four years. CFL's seem to be like the Energizer Bunnies of light bulbs.

L Gilbert
LEDs are even more long-lived and DO save quite a bit power-wise. More expensive in the first place, though.

TenPenny
I put CFLs in the front porch lights - last week, when it was -25, you could barely see out there. My wife asked what was wrong with our lights, and I commented on how much energy we saved. 'Might as well turn the fackers off, and save even more, with the amount of light they put out' was her reply.

L Gilbert
Give yourself a really good thump on the noggin and go by starlight then.

#juan
meanwhile I'm going blind because compact florescent bulbs don't put out enough light to read by. I'm going back to incandescent bulbs where I like to read. sue me.....

L Gilbert
Hi, Sue. Is that your second name or something?

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Four years ago I replaced every lightbulb in my home (except the ones in the
fridges and stoves) with CFL's. It was a fairly expensive purchase at the time,
but I did it to save money on my power bill. I haven't noticed any savings on
my power bill....but I haven't had to change a single one of those CFL's in the
last four years. CFL's seem to be like the Energizer Bunnies of light bulbs.

and I bet there is no extra sickness in your household??

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

and I bet there is no extra sickness in your household??

Risus....not that I'm aware of. I haven't seen the savings that I was hoping for,
but my power billing has gone up a couple of times since I installed all of these
CFL's. I'm on equalized billing so I wouldn't see a change 'till the next year and
the rates increase anyway so....maybe I might be pay'n more (?).

The longevity of these things though is amazing compared to incandescent bulbs.
If you've got a light up high in a stairwell or something equally as ugly to change,
put a CFL bulb in there next time.

An incandescent bulb has an expected lifespan of what? 200-300hrs??? The
CFL's I installed have an expected lifespan of 10,000hrs...so 30-50 TIMES
as long. I can't speak for the LED's, as my only experience with them is in
automotive lighting.

Praxius
I'm not to sure about the OP's health issues brought up, but I did see some concerning reports about those lights in reagrds to people with sensitive skin towards UV's.

A couple of people who installed these lights have reported some health issues in regards to their skin. In paticular a couple of them put those lights in their lamps beside where they normally read their books. As they went to bed, they noticed in the bathroom mirror or from a loved one that their skin was seriously burned and they couldn't figure out why.

Eventually they figured out it had something to do with the lights and replaced them with the old ones. Of course, their skin issues went away.

I will see if I can find anything on this report (It was about two weeks ago)

I guess this will have to do for now:

How Fluorescent Lighting Puts You at Risk for Skin Cancer - Associated Content

"A long term health consequence from being exposed to Fluorescent lighting is from short wave ultraviolet light that it emits. UV emissions from ceiling fixtures have been linked to a higher risks of melanoma skin cancer by the American Journal of Epidemiology. Also, In August 1982 an article was published in the well read British Medical Journal, "The Lancet," entitled "Malignant Melanoma and Exposure to Fluorescent Lighting at Work." The authors of this study examined and determined the possible connection between indoor fluorescent lights and the ever rising rate of melanoma. Taking into account such factors as hair color, skin type and the history of sun exposure it was found that working under fluorescent lights had doubled the risk of melanoma in the subjects of the research."

So this has been an issue for how long now? And now they're telling us to shove these lights everywhere to "save energy?" How about the random medical costs for some of the people who might be affected by these lights?

What about the Mercury that's contained within these lights? What happens to that Mercury when you dispose of these lights?

Or are we soon going to have yet another damn recycling bin to chuck crap in for these types of lights? How many bins in our home will that be now?

I don't oppose them anymore then I oppose the old fashion light bulbs, but I don't see the big advantage of changing laws around and forcing people to buy one paticular style of lightbulb, esspecially when one has some questionable health effects.

If people want to use one paticular type of light bulb, then let them choose for themselves, don't force it down their throats like some nanny state looking out for our best interests through their own ignorance. (I'm looking in Ontario's general direction)

Let the markets decide when it's time to toss out the old bulbs or not.

hermanntrude
the health issues are made up by paranoid schizophrenics with nothing better to do.

The low-light issue is a technological problem which i suspect can be overcome given time

The issue of mercury is a VERY serious one, which very few people are aware of. It says on the box that the bulb MUST NOT be thrown away, but people don't read the boxes and don't know what else to do with them anyway. Not to mention that sometimes they get broken in an accident. Let me tell you, if you break one while it's on HOLD YOUR BREATH AND GET OUTSIDE. mercury vapour is pretty nasty stuff and if you breathe it it can harm you in a REAL way.

I figure LEDS are probably the answer in the long run, although i'm sure stretch is working on a theory which will make LEDS seem like the worst things ever

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrude View Post

I figure LEDS are probably the answer in the long run, although i'm sure stretch is working on a theory which will make LEDS seem like the worst things ever

Seizures.

Francis2004
Quote: Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

By: disinter
Tags: SCIENCE/HEALTH
Compact fluorescent light bulbs are filling home and office environments with dangerous electromagnetic pollution, causing devastating health effects on some people. Neurologists are increasingly taking notice of the headaches and migraines being reported by people exposed to compact fluorescent light bulbs.

It's all part of the plan.......... just how many things have been foisted on us only to turn out to be detrimental to our health? purely a coincedence, nothing to worry about....NOT!!

On this one Stretch I have to agree with you 100%..

Besides the mercury this article discusses, here are other factors to consider.. CFL have many other chemicals in them phosphor, and close to 100 others in electronic parts in the ballasts. Not only that but it cycles at a frequency that can cause Seizures or cause depression in many stable people.. This is a known but hidden fact. As well these are nearly impossible to recycle and or dispose of properly.

Unlike CFLs, LEDs replacements will also cycle but a much lower rate and will have a 10 year minimum life span.. They also are working on a much smaller ballast that will require little electonics. They will have a much less negative health impact if any and are only now making an entry into the market. The recycling of these will be much easier and cost effective. The issue is basically cost and fact we will not be buying them in such big quantities. After the initial purchase of these, people will rarely replace a bulb making it a very small market place.

So the big companies like Philips are in no rush to bring you these ( LED Bulbs ) products to your house while they can keep you unhealthy, buying product that needs replacement ( CFL ) and keeping other divisions of Philips profitable ( Medical Div )..

LED Lights, LED Lighting System- Philips Color Kinetics

Philips Healthcare

In Between Man
When will these LED babies be available at my local Canadian Tire?

L Gilbert
I have no idea about Crappy Tire, but I have been getting mine from whoever has them on sale on the net.

BTW, they have been on the market for a couple years or so. All our flashlights now have them, a few of our most used rooms have them, and the rest will be replaced with LEDs when the time comes.