Not the best way to handle overbooking

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Sorry T-Bones looks like you need to have a Law School refresher.

Are Airlines Allowed to Force/Drag Passengers Off Flight? | Law News

Professor John Banzhaf, from the George Washington University Law School, believes that the passenger has a very good case and that the force used to remove the doctor may even be considered excessive in this scenario.

I like John. He's a fun guy to drink with. And I find the Banzhaf Theory of Torts quite elegant and well considered. Too bad it has about as much to do with what happens in courts in the U.S. as Melania's wardrobe has to do with Trump's foreign policy.

But I got a charge out of you quoting a liberal law professor. Sure they won't take away your Southie card?

EagleSmack
+1
Now now T-Bones... no need to get all touchy because a guy who isn't even a lawyer was correct that the United passenger has a case and you were incorrect. Being a liberal law professor has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Personal injury attorney David Eisbrouch told LawNewz.com, “These are some questions I would be asking if I represented the passenger. At a minimum United personnel should be reaching out to the good doctor asap in order to resolve this matter before it goes any further.”

This lawyer agrees with me too!

Scooby
" Rights" for a consumer are simply this: " Don't like it, don't buy it "

Looking to the legal system or government for justice in this case is a lost cause. Just remember to boycott this and every other company that is completely unethical at every chance.

Tecumsehsbones

Now now T-Bones... no need to get all touchy because a guy who isn't even a lawyer was correct that the United passenger has a case and you were incorrect. Being a liberal law professor has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Personal injury attorney David Eisbrouch told LawNewz.com, These are some questions I would be asking if I represented the passenger. At a minimum United personnel should be reaching out to the good doctor asap in order to resolve this matter before it goes any further.

This lawyer agrees with me too!

You think Eisbrouch is saying that he could win a legal action on this?

Heh-heh. That's so cute.

Quote: Originally Posted by Scooby View Post

" Rights" for a consumer are simply this: " Don't like it, don't buy it "

Looking to the legal system or government for justice in this case is a lost cause. Just remember to boycott this and every other company that is completely unethical at every chance.

Better figure on not flying, then. I don't know of a single airline that doesn't do the overbook-and-bump thing. It's in their contracts of carriage.

Scooby
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Heh-heh. That's so cute.

Better figure on not flying, then. I don't know of a single airline that doesn't do the overbook-and-bump thing. It's in their contracts of carriage.

They may all overbook, but some certainly handle better than others.

Tecumsehsbones
Cleveland Browns lineman Joe Thomas's take on "re-accommodating"

He tweeted "I had to re-accommodate someone once," and this picture:

Quote: Originally Posted by Scooby View Post

They may all overbook, but some certainly handle better than others.

Here's part of your (well, my) problem. Most major cities in the U.S. you got your choice of Delta, American, or United.

All three have shocking stories of discrimination, indifference, and ill-treatment of passengers.

Internationally, if you book your ticket with BA, Lufthansa, or any of the Star Alliance carriers, you're likely to end up on a flight "operated by United." Even though it has a Lufthansa flight number.

EagleSmack
+1

Heh-heh. That's so cute.

LOL... you are just fuming right now aren't you? You got bested on a law debate by someone who isn't even a lawyer. I said he has a case and you said he didn't. I was right and you were wrong... admit it.

Tecumsehsbones

LOL... you are just fuming right now aren't you? You got bested on a law debate by someone who isn't even a lawyer. I said he has a case and you said he didn't. I was right and you were wrong... admit it.

No, I'm chuckling because you think you won something.

EagleSmack
+1

No, I'm chuckling because you think you won something.

I said he had a case and I was correct.

I think you need refresher in the law.

Colpy
http://i.imgur.com/99dgkTs.mp4

taxslave
+3
If I understood the article correctly the plane was not overbooked but staffing, not booking decided to appropriate some seats to relocate staff for another flight.
Not good PR. I see a significant increase in the passenger's bank balance even without a lawyer. ANd there is always the possibility he may be able to play the race card upping the payout conciderably.

EagleSmack
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

If I understood the article correctly the plane was not overbooked but staffing, not booking decided to appropriate some seats to relocate staff for another flight.
Not good PR. I see a significant increase in the passenger's bank balance even without a lawyer. ANd there is always the possibility he may be able to play the race card upping the payout conciderably.

Oh yeah... this guy has a case and would win. Most likely United will settle before they get throttled in court.

Colpy
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

The guy was a medical doctor who had patients at the other end of the flight.

It would be hard to see how this could be worse for United.

EagleSmack
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Lawyers say even his patients have a case against United if they missed appointments because of this incident.

TenPenny
The flight was not overbooked. United wanted seats for their own employees, who were on standby.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Coulda been a one-legged left-handed blind black lesbian Muslim.

bobnoorduyn
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

The flight was not overbooked. United wanted seats for their own employees, who were on standby.

It is not likely they were on standby, it happens often enough that airlines have to deadhead crews to operate a flight somewhere else with little lead time and have to open up seats for them, they generally are a priority. But as I mentioned before, this should be handled at the gate, not once boarding is complete. Also, non operating flight crews are normally not allowed to intervene in situations at the gate, (and on board only at the direction of the operating crew), so just sitting there quietly is what would be expected of them.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduyn View Post

It is not likely they were on standby, it happens often enough that airlines have to deadhead crews to operate a flight somewhere else with little lead time and have to open up seats for them, they generally are a priority. But as I mentioned before, this should be handled at the gate, not once boarding is complete. Also, non operating flight crews are normally not allowed to intervene in situations at the gate, (and on board only at the direction of the operating crew), so just sitting there quietly is what would be expected of them.

Maybe in Canada. Here in the Land of Fun and Sunshine, we like to make up new opportunities for the cops to beat the shit outta people.

I wonder if the victim's been charged yet?

bobnoorduyn

Maybe in Canada. Here in the Land of Fun and Sunshine, we like to make up new opportunities for the cops to beat the shit outta people.

So I've noticed, but airlines do have to operate under ICAO rules if they want to operate internationally so there is quite a bit of standardization across the board. That being said, customer service can vary widely between carriers.

petros
Dr Doa is a drug dealer. 90+ counts of writing Rxs for cash. A dealer too.

Also traded drugs for gay sex.

He's a felon so zero cred for a lawsuit.

Check out his GRINDR profile. Maybe he'll trade you dope?

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduyn View Post

It is not likely they were on standby

Then you should write to United and tell them to stop saying it.

petros
I bet they chose the first felon that came up on the passenger list.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Dr Doa is a drug dealer. 90+ counts of writing Rxs for cash. A dealer too.

Also traded drugs for gay sex.

He's a felon so zero cred for a lawsuit.

So your point is he deserved to get beat up by the goon squad?

Quote:

Check out his GRINDR profile. Maybe he'll trade you dope?

Sorry, I don't have your expertise with GRINDR.

Ain't we just the pleasant one today? 'Samatter, snookums, somebody criticize your corporate gods? You sound like selfie calling down the curses of Allah on the Zionists.

Anyhow, here's the new recommended attire for United Airlines flights:

petros
United passenger traded drugs for gay sex with patient | Daily Mail Online

Twila
the passengers history is #fakenews.

sheesh.

So your point is he deserved to get beat up by the goon squad?

Sorry, I don't have your expertise with GRINDR.

Ain't we just the pleasant one today? 'Samatter, snookums, somebody criticize your corporate gods? You sound like selfie calling down the curses of Allah on the Zionists.

Can you imagine his comment had the passenger been a sask. native? yikes!

B00Mer
+1
[youtube]yJTaGf5zURQ[/youtube]

If he had a Pepsi this would never have happened.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

We Beat The Competition, Not Our Passengers

tay
+2

Tecumsehsbones
United has announced that passengers may now upgrade to a "no beating" seat for an extra $112 each way.

Johnnny

United has announced that passengers may now upgrade to a "no beating" seat for an extra $112 each way.

Just taking advantage of the situation, maybe this "beating" was marketing ploy

They don't shake you down for money, they beat you down for money....