Canada, Netherlands exploring global safe abortion fund to counter Trump

Twila
+1
Hopefully some other countries will also contribute to the discussion and the funding.

Canada is exploring the possibility of contributing to a safe abortion fund announced by the Netherlands in the wake of President Donald Trump‘s move to cut off funding to organizations that offer abortion services around the world.

Trump on Monday reinstated a policy that prevents groups that offer abortion and reproductive health care services from receiving funding from the U.S. Agency for International Development — even if they don’t use American aid money for those particular services — and bans U.S.-funded groups around the world from discussion abortion.

The rest:
Canada, Netherlands exploring global safe abortion fund to counter Trump - National | Globalnews.ca

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
I am against funding abortions outside the borders of Canada.

Twila
How come?

Hoof Hearted
+3
I agree it's a woman's right to choose, but I still would encourage the adopt approach over abortion. One of my very best friends was adopted. Couldn't imagine my world without him.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+6
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

How come?

I am not "for" it being government funded at all. I am not against it being funded in Canada either. I guess if it became unfunded in Canada, I would not complain and visa versa.

But not sure how it is my/our responsibility to pay for somebody else's abortion half way around the globe. Not saying they shouldn't do it or have access. I believe in personal choice and right to choice. But it should be a part of their infrastructure. If we HAD to send them relief or aid, I would much rather send them a big crate of Trojans.

Mowich
Conservative
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

How come?

I'm against it because I want my tax dollars going to help people in my country and sadly, we are far behind in doing so. We need to fix our problems here at home before we can think of spending money on an abortion fund. I believe the idea is a good one just the same. It will be interesting to see how many other countries decide to step up.

Twila
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I am not "for" it being government funded at all. I am not against it being funded in Canada either. I guess if it became unfunded in Canada, I would not complain and visa versa.

But not sure how it is my/our responsibility to pay for somebody else's abortion half way around the globe. Not saying they shouldn't do it or have access. I believe in personal choice and right to choice. But it should be a part of their infrastructure. If we HAD to send them relief or aid, I would much rather send them a big crate of Trojans.

Makes sense

Machjo
Maybe Canada could adopt the same policy as with the Syrian refugees. Canada will pay X% of the cost of the abortion if a Canadian agrees to pay the difference. We could call it the 'Sponsor-an-Abortion' campaign.

Last edited by Machjo; Jan 27th, 2017 at 05:33 PM..

mentalfloss
Trump really is making everyone else great now.

davesmom
Abortion is a personal choice and I don't see why the public should pay for it. If Government wants to fund birth control that might cut down on the demand for abortions and it's a lot cheaper.

Remington1
I'm for helping to fund contraceptive or abortion in countries where parents are having kids every years, but loose half of them to starvation!! As for Canada, I would put the brakes on woman who are using free abortions as a method of contraception. One abortion can happen and should be done free and in a safe environment, by a real doctor, but 10!! seriously. Some stupid bimbo's don't like the pill because it comes with too much responsibilities; they are either too drunk or stoned so forget. But worst, they think they will gain weight on the pill. The 2nd + should be charged (still done in a save environment, but not for free).

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
The problem is in Trumps case we don't allow Abortion retroactively
Seriously we do not need another international agency collecting
money for a cause

Danbones
Free Thinker
Quote:

reinstated

Reagan-era rule bans international NGOs with US funding from providing abortions or offering information, ‘ignoring decades of research’ says Democrat
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...al-ngo-funding

Oh so Reagan was the original Hitler
...and decades of research into what?
How industrially successful countries all have dropping birth rates?

we can't keep up to the canadians who need funding in canada and we are going to send money overseas
hmmmm
sending aid money over seas?
ABORT that
jeez.

personal touch
Bloc Québécois
I guess you have to believe an embryo is a baby to start a relevant conversation

I cannot believe Trumps wife is silent on this matter,
Shame on Melania

Good. Night