Why Must Israel Be a Jewish State?

Locutus
CNN's Fareed Zakaria asked Sunday why it was important that Israel be called a Jewish state.

This seemingly absurd question was asked of Michael Oren, Israel's ambassador to the United States (video follows with transcript and commentary):

Read more: Fareed Zakaria: Why Must Israel Be a Jewish State? | NewsBusters

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Iss pairhaps becuss der iss a lodt of Chews der dat tink it iss?

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2
In the Bible it is not called a Jewish state. The Promised Land was promised to Abraham and his seed as well as all Christians or those who acknowledge Jesus as Messiah. Nobody else.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2
Israel is a Zionist state where the majority of the population happen to be Jews. As most Zionists are Christian, being a Zionist and being a Jew are not synonymous.

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2
There is no biblical basis for Christian Zionism. See Galatians 3:29.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
To pizz off the neighbours?

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

There is no biblical basis for Christian Zionism. See Galatians 3:29.

So, why are there so many of them?

Serryah
Free Thinker
+3

In the Bible it is not called a Jewish state. The Promised Land was promised to Abraham and his seed as well as all Christians or those who acknowledge Jesus as Messiah. Nobody else.

If this is the case then there should be no issue of Muslims being in the area, since they, too, are of Abraham's 'seed'.

Oh snap.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
Given how small their population is its probably not going to remain a 'Jewish state' for ever. Demographics change all the time.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
As long as it remains a stable military base for us in the Middle East, we don't much care.

Blackleaf
I don't see why it should be a problem that Israel is a Jewish state.

Lebanon is a Muslim state. Canada is a Catholic state. Britain is a Protestant state. India is mostly a Hindu state. Israel is a Jewish state.

I can't see what the problem is.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
The label maker?

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Canada is a Catholic state.

Since when? If you were talking about Quebec before the quiet revolution I'd agree, but the whole country today? Doesnt make any sense.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

Since when? If you were talking about Quebec before the quiet revolution I'd agree, but the whole country today? Doesnt make any sense.

More Canadians are Catholic than any other religion.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

i think he's referring to the separate school sysgem entrenched in the BNA Act and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. But considering that our monarch must be a member of the Church of England, it might be more accurate to say a Christian state so as to include both laws.

You beat me to the answer.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+2

67% declared Christianity in the 2011 census. We don't make that big a distinction between Catholic and Protestent here in civilization.

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

If this is the case then there should be no issue of Muslims being in the area, since they, too, are of Abraham's 'seed'.

Oh snap.

Muslims recognize Jesus as Messiah [chapter & verse previously quoted] so that they, too, get an inheritance from Abraham

Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

So, why are there so many of them?

Evidently, these professing Christians have not read the Bible.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+5
#18  Top Rated Post

Evidently, these professing Christians have not read the Bible.

Well it is pretty obvious that most don't read the whole thing. They are picky and choosey about which parts they read into their particular slant on the book. They remind me of the three blind men feeling different parts of the elephant and describing a completely different animal. But Zionism is not a religious point of view, it is a political one. It is the Zionists who have fed us the propaganda that criticism of Zionism is a criticism of Jews and that it is a racist thing to do. It is total BS that way too many people have bought into.
Last edited by Cliffy; Jul 30th, 2013 at 01:29 AM..

petros
+2
Israel never was a Jewish State in the past, why start now?

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

67% declared Christianity in the 2011 census. We don't make that big a distinction between Catholic and Protestent here in civilization.

There are more Catholics in Canada than people of any other religion.

And I can't see how you can't make a distinction between Catholicism and Protestantism. The two are quite different.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Israel never was a Jewish State in the past, why start now?

It's always been a Jewish state since the day it was founded.

petros

Then why isn't it called Judea?

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Then why isn't it called Judea?

Does it have to be called Judea to be a Jewish state? I didn't know that.

Maybe Canada should change its name to the Vatican.

The whole reason why Israel was founded was to be a homeland for Jewish people. It was founded as Jewish state.

petros
+1

Does it have to be called Judea to be a Jewish state? I didn't know that.

Maybe Canada should change its name to the Vatican.

The whole reason why Israel was founded was to be a homeland for Jewish people. It was founded as Jewish state.

Israel never was a Jewish State in history, only Judea which was crushed after Israel converted to Christianity.

When you get down to the brass tacks, Israel should be Christian.

lone wolf
Free Thinker

And I can't see how you can't make a distinction between Catholicism and Protestantism. The two are quite different.

When one focuses on difference one gets difference - and IRA and the Muddled East and Indian troubles and... England might even still have her empire if she'd had more wisdom than "different"

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+1

That doesnt make Canada a Catholic state. Our head of state is also the head of the Church of England, our head of government is also not a Catholic.

darkbeaver
Republican
But the hidden sense of the name Abraham or Abram has escaped notice, and it is of great moment, as are all Bible names. Scholars may protest, but it seems obvious that the word is simply A-Brahm, (Hindu), meaning "non-Brahm." Abraham, the Patriarch or oldest of the aeons or emanations, was not Brahm, the Absolute, but the first emanation from Brahm; the first ray, the first God, perhaps equivalent to Ishwara of the Hindus. He was the first life that was not Absolute, yet from the Absolute. He was to go forth into the realms of matter, divide and multiply, and fill the world with his fragmented units. To return to Abraham’s bosom would be just to complete the cycle of outgoing and return, to rest in the bosom of the highest divinity close to the Absolute. Also he came out of Ur, of the Chaldees (or Kasadim), which is another key word, since Ur is the Chaldean word for "fire," the celestial empyrean, out of which all souls, as fiery sparks, are emanated. Kasadim, or Kasdim, was a term given to the highest celestial spirits, who fathered the production of the divine sparks of soul. It is practically equivalent to "Archangels."
Then Abraham went straight to Egypt from the land of Canaan, and his descendants were to suffer bondage in that lower country. It is a crushing blow to the historical rendering of Bible narrative to declare, on evidence that is incontrovertible, that the "Egypt" of the scriptures is not the country on the map. It is the term used in the allegories to designate the plane, state or "land" of embodied life, life on earth. "Egypt" is just this earth, or the state or locale of bodily life on it. It even at times c A B kHUN

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Are you sure it wasn't A-bra-ham, meaning he liked lingerie full of pork products?

petros
Moses was actually Ganesh and not really Moses.

Corduroy

Do you know what a state is?