Home assessments up big time!

JLM
B.C. Assessment warns 67,000 homeowners of big increases - British Columbia - CBC News

Just another god damned tax grab!

DaSleeper
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
Always challenge your assessment.
You run the chance of saving a few bucks..

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Always challenge your assessment.
You run the chance of saving a few bucks..

I haven't really had that problem yet, my old house was always assessed BELOW market value and it be interesting to see how this house (bought in May '17) will compare with what I paid.

Hoid
bc assessments are a joke. Have owned here since 87 and have had very few years where they didn't try to push the assessments up. in the old days your assessments wouldn't change for 10 years because they didn't want to try to deal with small variations - it wasn't considered necessdary. Now they need to capture every nickel - because cities are cash strapped.

taxslave
+1
JUst because assments go up does not automatically mean taxes go up. What it does mean is that many paper million are may be paying more. Read up on assents and the mil rate. SOme people could find their taxes going down if they have a low end house.

Hoid
the last time they ran crazy with assessments was around 2009. My assessment went up a couple hundred thou in one year - based on 8 sales in my area I phones as usual and complained as usual and they said sorry but its just the facts.

So my assessments came down for 4 or 5 years in a row to about where I had complained it would be.

Fortunately on the island they have already forced most of the poor people out of their homes by this point. Especially the water front places. So glad I didn't buy water front as a young man, I would never have been able to afford it in retirement.
My taxes went up every year regardless - so you are right in a sense. They do not need an increased assessment in order to up your taxes.