Ottawa to declare federal holiday to mark legacy of residential school system

pgs
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Thank you for sharing your family history, Ron. I could not agree with you more about victimhood being a choice. I might go further and suggest that it is now fast on the edge of becoming an occupation.

It is already look at all the property pimps working all across our province . I bet one could find ten in 100 mile house without even trying .

pgs
+2

Cathy is the MP for our constituency. She was first elected in 2008 and has retained her seat in subsequent elections. I've met her several times as she has an office in 100 Mile House and attends several events during the year. Her points about the government costs alone should this stat become law are valid and worth considering.

"Chief Robert Joseph, ambassador for Reconciliation Canada, told the CBC that having a federal Indigenous holiday is worth the money. "Whatever it is that we sacrifice ... moving forward together in reconciliation and celebration is worth the investment given the gravity of the history we're talking about and the consequences that still reverberate through our communities as a result of the impacts of that period," says Joseph."

If this is the 'ambassadors' best go at reconciling differences, he needs to go have a deep think.

His grandma got spanked , he became a lawyer and keep the gravy flowing .

White_Unifier

Cathy is the MP for our constituency. She was first elected in 2008 and has retained her seat in subsequent elections. I've met her several times as she has an office in 100 Mile House and attends several events during the year. Her points about the government costs alone should this stat become law are valid and worth considering.
"Chief Robert Joseph, ambassador for Reconciliation Canada, told the CBC that having a federal Indigenous holiday is worth the money. "Whatever it is that we sacrifice ... moving forward together in reconciliation and celebration is worth the investment given the gravity of the history we're talking about and the consequences that still reverberate through our communities as a result of the impacts of that period," says Joseph."
If this is the 'ambassadors' best go at reconciling differences, he needs to go have a deep think.

As i mentioned above, it doesn't need to cost anything if implemented correctly.

Twin_Moose
+1
But it is costing us already
Quote:

ambassador for Reconciliation Canada

do you think he or the reconciliation board are working for free?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

But it is costing us already do you think he or the reconciliation board are working for free?

The Day isn't even law yet. How is it costing us already? Honestly, shift workers would appreciate more public holidays to choose from and their employers would appreciate more days to spread their shift-workers over.

White_Unifier
Ideally, Canada should probably have around 30 or 40 state public holidays from which a shift worker can choose nine in consultation with his employer. right now federally, there are nine state public holidays and nine personal ones. That means that if a shift worker must work on that day, he may or may not get an alternative day off, but either way, it will be when everyone else is working. How does he participate effectively in the life of the community whenever he's off and everyone else is working?

Even from an economic standpoint, it makes sense to have around 3 or 4 times as many state public holidays as individual ones.

White_Unifier
Economically speaking, it would make sense to have anywhere from 3 to 4 times as many state public holidays as individual ones so that an employer can more efficiently rotate his shift workers between those holidays and so the shift workers can also participate more fully in community life.

petros
+3
If you weren't an Anglo or a Franco, school killed your culture.

Speaking your mother tongue in school ended with harsh physical punishment and humiliation.

Where's my cheque? The suffering my parents experienced is generational.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Speaking your mother tongue in school ended with harsh physical punishment and humiliation.

Then how about this:

Petition to the House of Commons in Parliament Assembled

Whereas:
•A shift worker seldom gets a statutory holiday off but might still want a community-day off;
•For logistical reasons, an employer might not give all of his shift workers the same day off however much he might want to;
•A religious or linguistic holiday can allow a shift worker to take a day off in common with his religious or linguistic community while still allowing an employer to give different shift workers different days off; and
•In 1971, the United Nations General Assembly recommended that Member States observe United Nations Day as a public holiday;

We, the undersigned, residents of Canada, call upon the House of Commons in Parliament Assembled to adopt a Shift-Worker’s Public-Holiday Act that would allow a shift worker to choose, in consultation with his employer, nine personal public holidays per year from among:
•Any already-established state public holiday;
•Any Holy Day of the religion he professes;
•Any additional day chosen in consultation with Canadian veterans’ associations and Deaf, indigenous, and other unofficial language communities;
•The third Sunday in January (World Religion Day);
•21 February (International Mother Language Day);
•20 March (French Language Day);
•20 April (Chinese Language Day);
•23 April (English Language Day and Spanish Language Day);
•6 June (Russian Language Day);
•23 September (International Day of Sign Languages);
•24 October (United Nations Day);
•15 December (Zamenhof Day); and
•18 December (Arabic Language Day).

Twin_Moose
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

The Day isn't even law yet. How is it costing us already? Honestly, shift workers would appreciate more public holidays to choose from and their employers would appreciate more days to spread their shift-workers over.

Because they have grants and budgets and this is the best they can come up with

petros
+2

Then how about this:
Petition to the House of Commons in Parliament Assembled
Whereas:
•A shift worker seldom gets a statutory holiday off but might still want a community-day off;
•For logistical reasons, an employer might not give all of his shift workers the same day off however much he might want to;
•A religious or linguistic holiday can allow a shift worker to take a day off in common with his religious or linguistic community while still allowing an employer to give different shift workers different days off; and
•In 1971, the United Nations General Assembly recommended that Member States observe United Nations Day as a public holiday;
We, the undersigned, residents of Canada, call upon the House of Commons in Parliament Assembled to adopt a Shift-Worker’s Public-Holiday Act that would allow a shift worker to choose, in consultation with his employer, nine personal public holidays per year from among:
•Any already-established state public holiday;
•Any Holy Day of the religion he professes;
•Any additional day chosen in consultation with Canadian veterans’ associations and Deaf, indigenous, and other unofficial language communities;
•The third Sunday in January (World Religion Day);
•21 February (International Mother Language Day);
•20 March (French Language Day);
•20 April (Chinese Language Day);
•23 April (English Language Day and Spanish Language Day);
•6 June (Russian Language Day);
•23 September (International Day of Sign Languages);
•24 October (United Nations Day);
•15 December (Zamenhof Day); and
•18 December (Arabic Language Day).

I want financial reconciliation not an awareness day in November.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Because they have grants and budgets and this is the best they can come up with

That I don't agree with. A state holiday should not require funding. I don't even agree with state funding for Canada Day for that matter. Sure, make it a public holiday, but that's it.

White_Unifier

I want financial reconciliation not an awareness day in November.

November? Where's November on that list?

petros
+2
Exactly. Nothing, just like what public school survivors get.

White_Unifier

Exactly. Nothing, just like what public school survivors get.

I never got split from my parents nor had needles stuck through my tongue for speaking my language among other things. What school did you go to?

petros
+1

I never got split from my parents nor had needles stuck through my tongue for speaking my language among other things. What school did you go to?

Try to keep up.

White_Unifier

Try to keep up.

So what would be so wrong with increasing the number of state public holidays from which a shift worker can choose his personal public holidays? This would benefit both the shift worker (by allowing him a day off with his religious, linguistic, or other community) and the employer (by making it easier for him to schedule rotating shifts).

Hoid
Letting people pick their own holidays would be a scheduling nightmare.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Letting people pick their own holidays would be a scheduling nightmare.

That's why i proposed 'in consultation with their employer.' Last I checked, an ambulance service or a 911 call centre cannot give all of their staff Canada Day off. The question becomes, do we just give the others any random day off and so prevent them from participating more fully in the events of their community or do we provide them with alternative days off?

I'm thinking shift workers here, not regular workers.

White_Unifier
And if it's still not possible, there would still be nothing preventing the employer from just paying time and a half.

Hoid
IN my experience there is no problem getting people to work holidays.

Generally more senior people will get those hours.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

IN my experience there is no problem getting people to work holidays.
Generally more senior people will get those hours.

Mine too. But there is also a life outside of work. While family and friends are more important, community beyond family and close friends is beneficial too to the development of inclusion and integration. Having more state public holidays than personal public holidays at least increases the probability of a shift worker having a day off congruently with other members of a larger community so as to allow him to participate in that community. Especially in a society that has become increasingly individualistic and in which shift work is becoming ever more common.

MHz
Rather than a token holiday why not solve some crimes.
Missing & Murdered: The Unsolved Cases of Indigenous Women and Girls

https://www.vox.com/2016/7/5/1209689...s-women-canada
Why thousands of indigenous women have gone missing in Canada
“My sister’s murder will probably never be solved.”

https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...iolence-canada
Unsolved murders of indigenous women reflect Canada's history of silence
As spotlight returns to decades-long violence against native women and girls, calls for national inquiry have been rebuffed but groups refuse to give up

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

As spotlight returns to decades-long violence against native women and girls, calls for national inquiry have been rebuffed but groups refuse to give up

I agree. But what happens if someone is murdered on a holiday? don't you want officers working on a holiday too?

Mowich
+3

I agree. But what happens if someone is murdered on a holiday? don't you want officers working on a holiday too?

Are you for real?

White_Unifier

Are you for real?

I was being partly tongue in cheek. I thought you'd get that. My point was that at least some police officers will have to work on a public holiday and some might appreciate an alternative public day off and not just a day that they get off while everyone else is working.

Mowich
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

CPAC is broadcasting the MMWI. I tuned in over an hour ago and have yet to hear the current speaker once mention who in her family is missing or has been murdered. She has brought up residential schools, the sixties scoop, the TRC, the treaties and the need for much more federal money because the reserves aren't getting enough to get by.

Another woman is now speaking. She at least is on topic or was there for a bit, now she has veered off into enumerating all the recommendations of the TRC. Oh, oh she's getting all choked up now and is passing the mike to the former speaker who also is listing the rec's made by the TRC and is a demanding an apology for something that is totally unclear. Back to the latter speaker who is demanding that the government examine the entire history of the RCMP and all of its interactions with native women.

Time for a photo-op with a copies of several reports most of which were done years ago but are now being entered into the record.

Lunch time. The moderator is asking the speakers to meet with them during the break in order to answer questions regarding their statements which will not be broadcast to the public.

And on it goes.

White_Unifier
Maybe they thought they were at a TRC meeting?

MHz
residential schools, the sixties scoop, the TRC, the treaties and the need for much more federal money because the reserves aren't getting enough to get by.

Let's hope friends and relatives of the disappeared have better support than a radio forum. Sounds like she could use a 10 hour course on how to use a smart phone with unlimited data.
Run Indian Affairs through a 'cost saving' accounting firm and the average Indian would never be short of money.
The lakes that were fuked up by big biz are how capitalists run things, Putin is finishing up a 1,000 miles through virgin ground. Perhaps send some FN to inspect it and award them the contract rather than Standard Oil.

Mowich

Maybe they thought they were at a TRC meeting?

Back watching the hearings again today. Off-topic again, as they are talking about relocation. Not a word about murdered or missing women. Not one word.