Should Canada expand our trade beyond NAFTA and start dealing with the EU market?

CBC News
Canadian officials plan to begin negotiating a deal to integrate Canada's economy with the 27 nations of the European Union. Preliminary talks are set to begin at a summit in Montreal three days after the federal election.
Proponents, including all of Canada's major business-lobby orginizations are, in favour of the deal because it would open the door to 500 million people.
If the deal is successful, Canada would be the first developed nation to have open trade relations with the EU.
What do you think. Should Canada expand our trade beyond NAFTA and start dealing with the EU market?

More...

Avro
Yes, lets stop relying on the U.S. they are hopeless at managing money.

earth_as_one
Absolutely! I don't trust the Americans to respect their agreements. They say they believe in Free Trade, but their bad behavior regarding softwood lumber and NAFTA arbitration indicates they don't. The Europeans would require that Canada respect our Kyoto commitments before making a trade agreement with us.

DurkaDurka
Why not? Diversifying our trade should be a given

darkbeaver
"Proponents, including all of Canada's major business-lobby orginizations are, in favour of the deal because it would open the door to 500 million people."

First get rid of Canada's major bussiness lobby organizations who are essentially American gangsters and world class liars, we can't deal with fascists. Second who are these other cowardly worthless dog proponents that you can't tell us about? Thirdly, since when are these corporate pricks interested in 500 million people you dum,b ****, what they want is access to 500 million consumers, it wouldn't matter if it was 500 million dung beatles with credit.
I think the people of Europe have other ideas and will soon be turning thier own quizling politicians and capitalist pigs out of office. Go tell Uncle Sam to stuff the simple minded deal.
I'm just curious but what would we sell them? We don't build anything. Oh stupid me I was forgetting the oil trees and water.

TenPenny
As long as it's open trade only, yes. The EU sets bizarre rules for all kinds of things (ie, you can't call your sausages 'Dragon Sausage' if it doesn't include dragon meat), and I'd rather avoid all of that foolishness.

Plus, make it contingent on 'Glen Breton' whisky still being allowed to call itself Glen Breton.