When Niagara Falls Dried up


DaSleeper
#1
Any one here seen it at the time?????


Unearthed photos of Niagara Falls without water - Yahoo! News
 
#juan
#2
The Niagara Falls are fed by the Niagara river which flows from the U.S. I've seen the falls in the shut down mode several times and it is not too pretty. It is pretty impressive when all the water is running, and pretty noisy as well.
 
petros
#3
Yeah that was for the hydropower station expansion. At night only just enough water goes over the falls to make it appear to be going strong while most of the water is diverted for hydrogeneration.
 
lone wolf
#4
I've see pics from very early in the history of cameras when Niagara was stopped up by an ice jam. The silence must have been deafening....
 
petros
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

I've see pics from very early in the history of cameras when Niagara was stopped up by an ice jam. The silence must have been deafening....

Silence? I'd wager every wife that lived on the river banks was screaming at her husband because water was coming in the house.
 
Risus
#6
Niagara falls frozen [1848]

This is a rare image which was purportedly taken in 1911 offer postcard views of Niagara Falls completely frozen over. It circulated by email from approx. 2003.

The flow of water was stopped completely over both falls on March 29th 1848 due to an ice jam in the upper river for several hours. This is the only known time to have occurred. The Falls did not actually freeze over, but the flow was stopped to the point where people actually walked out and recovered artifacts from the riverbed!

Niagara had frozen again in 1936.



NIAGARA FALLS - COMPLETELY FROZEN 1911!
 
DaSleeper
#7
I wonder if it's just the American side that they shut down in '69?

Edit: my bad ....read the article again....It was
 
Mic
#8
yeah pretty intresting!!!!
 
TenPenny
+1
#9  Top Rated Post
I remember being in a hotel at Niagara Falls at meetings, at lunch time I went up to my room to check my email, on the way back down, I didn't want to wait for the elevator, so I took the stairs. I burst out of the stairwell, and pretty much ran into this big serious guy...he was RCMP...five minutes later, Stockwell Day gave his famous speech about Niagara flowing south...it was funny as heck.
 
DaSleeper
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

The Niagara Falls are fed by the Niagara river which flows from the U.S. I've seen the falls in the shut down mode several times and it is not too pretty. It is pretty impressive when all the water is running, and pretty noisy as well.

Hate to nit pick but the source is lake Erie and the river is both in Canada and the US

And the Canadian falls are better than the American falls
 
Risus
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Hate to nit pick but the source is lake Erie and the river is both in Canada and the US

And the Canadian falls are better than the American falls

Thats true!!
 
ironsides
#12
No argument from me there, I always visit the Canadian side when up that way. I think it that it was just the American side that was shut down.
 
Nuggler
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I remember being in a hotel at Niagara Falls at meetings, at lunch time I went up to my room to check my email, on the way back down, I didn't want to wait for the elevator, so I took the stairs. I burst out of the stairwell, and pretty much ran into this big serious guy...he was RCMP...five minutes later, Stockwell Day gave his famous speech about Niagara flowing south...it was funny as heck.

Stocky the water-ridin-wunderkind. Bout as sharp as a brick.
 
10larry
#14
All fed from lake erie and the river splits around goat island, american falls spills american water whilst due to the border assignment horseshoe falls spills both u.s. and canuck water. The new tunnel project in ontario, years behind sched and $millions over budget, will divert water from horseshoe falls at a rate of 18,000 cf/sec, opg claims no effect upon the falls but coupled with great lakes receding water levels a dry falls could be in our future. I'm curious if american interests will demand compensation for us using american water to generate profit for ontario power peddlers.
TheSpec - Boring Big Becky cracks up
 

Similar Threads

2
Niagara Falls, where is a good area?
by malvrin | Jul 6th, 2010
0
Freeze Dried Funerals: Sweden.
by Ocean Breeze | Sep 29th, 2005