Hot Dog Reform


Bar Sinister
#1
It seems that the hot dog is a deadly choking hazard so far as the American Academy of Pediatrics is concerned and wants the legendary fast food redesigned. However, hot dogs a re just one offender among many. Other potentially deadly foods include hard candy, nuts, grapes, popcorn, marshmallows, peanut butter, chewing gum and raw carrots. In other words whatever a child can put into its mouth is considered a choking hazard. The solution - put warning labels on all of these products. Either that or feed children a 100% liquid diet.

Wanted: a redesigned hot dog - The Globe and Mail
 
Liberalman
#2
The parents should teach their kids to properly chew their food like they did in the old days
 
TheJokkette
#3
Well one must wonder, why is parent feeding their toddler or young child hot dog in the first place. It's food full of chemicals and meat filler, no real substance what so ever.
At any rate, I am in agreeance with, Liberalman.
 
AnnaG
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

It seems that the hot dog is a deadly choking hazard so far as the American Academy of Pediatrics is concerned and wants the legendary fast food redesigned. However, hot dogs a re just one offender among many. Other potentially deadly foods include hard candy, nuts, grapes, popcorn, marshmallows, peanut butter, chewing gum and raw carrots. In other words whatever a child can put into its mouth is considered a choking hazard. The solution - put warning labels on all of these products. Either that or feed children a 100% liquid diet.

Wanted: a redesigned hot dog - The Globe and Mail

Nannyism at its best.
 
JLM
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

It seems that the hot dog is a deadly choking hazard so far as the American Academy of Pediatrics is concerned and wants the legendary fast food redesigned. However, hot dogs a re just one offender among many. Other potentially deadly foods include hard candy, nuts, grapes, popcorn, marshmallows, peanut butter, chewing gum and raw carrots. In other words whatever a child can put into its mouth is considered a choking hazard. The solution - put warning labels on all of these products. Either that or feed children a 100% liquid diet.

Wanted: a redesigned hot dog - The Globe and Mail

No- a child under the age of 8 or so has to be supervised by an adult while eating.
 
AnnaG
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

No- a child under the age of 8 or so has to be supervised by an adult while eating.

Egg Zachary.
I guess the American Academy of Pediatrists doesn't have any faith in parents.
Age 8 might be a bit overkill, though. My kids were fixing their own breakfasts and snacks before that age.
 
countryboy
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

It seems that the hot dog is a deadly choking hazard so far as the American Academy of Pediatrics is concerned and wants the legendary fast food redesigned. However, hot dogs a re just one offender among many. Other potentially deadly foods include hard candy, nuts, grapes, popcorn, marshmallows, peanut butter, chewing gum and raw carrots. In other words whatever a child can put into its mouth is considered a choking hazard. The solution - put warning labels on all of these products. Either that or feed children a 100% liquid diet.

Wanted: a redesigned hot dog - The Globe and Mail

I note the last paragraph in that linked article might be the smartest one: "Ms. Testani says parents and child-care providers must instead watch children while they're eating. “We're monitoring the children very, very closely,” she says. “The key is sitting the children down and having them focused on eating rather than running around.”

I wonder about the proposed solutions of "warning labels" and resdesigned foods. What the hell...? Warning labels? Just what we need..."CAUTION: This hot dog may cause death if inhaled improperly!" Doesn't that sound intelligent?

Perhaps redesigned parenting might be a better thought.
 
ironsides
#8
First we teach our children to chew properly, then teach our kids to eat the best hot dogs Sabrett hot dogs or Hebrew National. New parents today must be taught everything.
 
countryboy
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

First we teach our children to chew properly, then teach our kids to eat the best hot dogs Sabrett hot dogs or Hebrew National. New parents today must be taught everything.

Well now, there's a point, Ironsides. I'm jealous because it is possible to find some good 'dogs in the states, especially in the big cities. Found a place once in Chicago that made their own hot dogs in the "back room" and they used good cuts of pork to do it. They showed me the manufacturing process when I asked, and I noted that they didn't include the usual eyeballs, nostrils, a$$holes, and other assorted "real meat" fillers that are usually used in these treats.

Boy, that was a great hot dog experience and as far as I know, we have no such place(s) up here in the Great White North. Pity. It's been a long time since I was in the Windy City and that was the last time I had a hot dog! (3 of them, actually)
 
Risus
#10
This was on Global news the other day. One restaurant (I think in Toronto) slices bologna, puts it on a hamburger bun and calls it a round hotdog...
 
taxslave
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

This was on Global news the other day. One restaurant (I think in Toronto) slices bologna, puts it on a hamburger bun and calls it a round hotdog...

Thats disgusting. But then so are regular tube steaks.
 
JLM
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Egg Zachary.
I guess the American Academy of Pediatrists doesn't have any faith in parents.
Age 8 might be a bit overkill, though. My kids were fixing their own breakfasts and snacks before that age.

Is that a brother of Eggs Benedict?
 
JLM
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

This was on Global news the other day. One restaurant (I think in Toronto) slices bologna, puts it on a hamburger bun and calls it a round hotdog...

Hey, whatever sells eh?
 
Ron in Regina
#14
This Thread reminds me of a guy on the radio a few days back talking
about his book,

"Fifty Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)"

It was pretty cool, & covered most of the things we all did as Kids anyway,
but are not correct to allow your children to do now it seems....
 
JLM
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

This Thread reminds me of a guy on the radio a few days back talking
about his book,

"Fifty Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)"

It was pretty cool, & covered most of the things we all did as Kids anyway,
but are not correct to allow your children to do now it seems....

I often think back to when I was about 4 years old when my parents had an old (20s vintage) Dodge sedan with the back seat missing - my seat was about an 18" diameter block of wood - I guess the thought of me or the block of wood becoming missile never entered their heads.................but those were the good old days
 
Cliffy
#16
I remember being in the back seat of my uncle's 57 Buick. We were traveling down a country road in the Eastern Townships. It was straight but there was a sudden 15 foot rise, about 100 feet of flat and then a 15 foot drop. He purposely took it at a bout 80 miles an hour. We all went air born in the back seat (no seat belts), slammed into the ceiling and back into the seat. Boy, was that fun! We laughed for miles.
 
Ron in Regina
#17
Things like dodgeball, climbing tree's, playing with fire, having a pocket
knife, using power tools, lawn darts, throwing a spear, letting your kid
drive on a country road when nobody is around, ride in the back of a
pick-up, etc...all things that we all did...but are not PC or "safe" anymore.

Not that any of these things where ever safe, but...
 
gerryh
#18
about bumper sking in winter...or tieing your tobagon to the back of the old mans car while he towed ya around the neighbourhood at 30 miles an hour....lol
 
Risus
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Things like dodgeball, climbing tree's, playing with fire, having a pocket
knife, using power tools, lawn darts, throwing a spear, letting your kid
drive on a country road when nobody is around, ride in the back of a
pick-up, etc...all things that we all did...but are not PC or "safe" anymore.

Not that any of these things where ever safe, but...

But we all survived!
 
Ron in Regina
#20
Like my Father say'n, "If you're going to play with that Welder, you HAVE
to wear that mask ALL the time, & stay away from the BBQ with that!"

I was about seven. That was a fun afternoon. Went through a lot of rods,
& didn't touch his BBQ (with the welder ).
 
countryboy
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

But we all survived!

Yeah and we learned a lot of common sense stuff too. Like how to eat a hot dog without choking to death!
 
gerryh
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by countryboy View Post

Yeah and we learned a lot of common sense stuff too. Like how to eat a hot dog without choking to death!

what ya mean "a" hotdog? How about 20 in less than 5 mins. (I know, no where near a record....but...lol)
 
YukonJack
#23
Can't compare North American Hot Dogs to European ones. In Europe they are made from prime meat, and I learned that from my relatives there, on my last visit.

In all fairness, there are also excellent wieners in the States. Still have to find one in Canada, though.
 
Risus
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

Can't compare North American Hot Dogs to European ones. In Europe they are made from prime meat, and I learned that from my relatives there, on my last visit.

In all fairness, there are also excellent wieners in the States. Still have to find one in Canada, though.

Kwinters Gourmet Hot Dogs are the best I've come across in Canada. They had them in Loblaws, I don't know if they still do.
 
Bar Sinister
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

No- a child under the age of 8 or so has to be supervised by an adult while eating.

Sorry, JLM my recommendation was pure sarcasm.
 
Cliffy
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

Sorry, JLM my recommendation was pure sarcasm.

But you said that with such a straight face!
 
TenPenny
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

But we all survived!

Well, those who survived did. Some, however, did not.

Not that I didn't do my share of stupid and dangerous things and got away with them, but let's not pretend that nobody got hurt doing the exact same things that we managed to get away with.
 
ironsides
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Things like dodgeball, climbing tree's, playing with fire, having a pocket
knife, using power tools, lawn darts, throwing a spear, letting your kid
drive on a country road when nobody is around, ride in the back of a
pick-up, etc...all things that we all did...but are not PC or "safe" anymore.

Not that any of these things where ever safe, but...

Now kids are suspended from school just for carrying a small pocket knife. Wonder how we all survived playing with and eating all those things that are so dangerous or passed the expiration date. No sense of adventure today.
 
DurkaDurka
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

Can't compare North American Hot Dogs to European ones. In Europe they are made from prime meat, and I learned that from my relatives there, on my last visit.

In all fairness, there are also excellent wieners in the States. Still have to find one in Canada, though.

Are you taking plan old wieners or sausage?

I have had hot dogs in the US and they didn't taste much different then here, all depends on how they are cooked... BBQ or steamed.
 
JLM
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

Now kids are suspended from school just for carrying a small pocket knife. Wonder how we all survived playing with and eating all those things that are so dangerous or passed the expiration date. No sense of adventure today.

And what is worse we have these nutbars who claim things are better now than in '59. Not only did we pack pocket knives but also our sling shots, which we used for all kinds of mischief. Late June early July were good times, climbing cherry trees in the neighbourhood and eating cherries until we sh*t our pants.
 

Similar Threads

27
Cultural Reform
by Andem | Dec 9th, 2018
49
NEED NEW REFORM PARTY
by morfiny | Sep 20th, 2007
15
Electoral Reform
by Finder | Jan 30th, 2006
28
Reform in Islam?
by Rick van Opbergen | Oct 7th, 2004