This story isn't exactly a shock, even techno plebs like me are aware that governments are raking in the info as fast as they can develop the technology to handle the volume, but this just illustrates how blatant the practice has become.

With the current climate of fear and the ability to abuse technology so conveniently available, is protection of privacy ever going to be feasible again? This just seems wrong on so many levels. Whatever era this is ushering in, I shudder to think where it leads. I don't believe for a second that any investigation, charges or other attempts to rectify it are in any way genuine. More likely the problem will just get buried deeper underground - I just don't see how any government could possibly release it's hold on such a tempting and easy way to keep itself abreast of what's going on, nor is it at all wise to assume other governments aren't busily mining private info as fast as they can reel it in and cross sharing their loot with whomever their current allies are either. Without something in place to stop it world wide, it's useless to hope a single government's investigation will result in any significant changes.

Quote:

... alleged that the NSA set up a system that vacuumed up Internet and phone-call data from ordinary Americans with the cooperation of AT&T . Contrary to the government's depiction of its surveillance program as aimed at overseas terrorists, Klein said, much of the data sent through AT&T to the NSA was purely domestic....

A Story of Surveillance