Climate change-Implications

manda
Quote: Originally Posted by Extrafire

Quote:

What I did mention though is that ice is moving into the ocean is MORE than the norm and in larger chunks, not just the regular cycle.

Yes, that's because of the increase in pressure from the growing mass if ice in the interior.

allright, you don't believe in the effects of global warming.? come on over to my house and I'll show you around the Island. We are losing Coastline bit by bit because the sea level is rising. Why? Because the polar Ice caps are melting. I'd be able to show you a lot of different affected areas because I have spent my whole life here. Don't believe that it's really happening, get ready for an education, on top of Jo's "Itold you so"

Jo Canadian
Well, this is like kicking a dead horse. So I may as well the beast another wack too.

There are many factors pointing out that the changes that are happening in the environment aren't that nice. Extra precipitation is nice to get in Antarctica, good for sugar coating the issue but there are many other things that are in decline. As mentioned before that our polar regions are the canaries for indicating any change. Since there's more life in the arctic, it is even more noticible of the effects on life as well as the environment.

So I'd like to cough up a previouly posted document that was a long study done in the region where I lived in the arctic. Grab some coffee or beer cause it's a long but interesting read.

CONTRIBUTIONS OF INUIT ECOLOGICAL KNOWLEDGE
TO UNDERSTANDING THE IMPACTS OF CLIMATE CHANGE ON THE BATHURST CARIBOU HERD IN THE KITIKMEOT REGION, NUNAVUT

manda
mmm...beer....

manda
at least beer isn't affecting the ice caps, mmm...iced beer...

I think not
Sounds like someone needs a beer

manda
or 2, or 3....maybe 10, it was a hectic weekend, and I still haven't gotten to one

Extrafire
Everybody needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

It's not that the climate isn't warming, it's that the antarctic ice sheet is growing. It's not that the climate isn't warming, it's that the natural causes far outweigh human influence on the climate, and research indicates natural causes are increasing. The only thing that can be said for sure is that the climate is always changing, either up or down, which is well documented. It's also been documented that similar warm temperatures occured in the Canadian arctic in the '30's, when coincidentally, the hottest summer temperature ever was recorded in Toronto, and also around the turn of the last century it's known that the northwest passage was open as never before or since.

Reverend Blair
The research indicates anthropogenic causes, Extrafire. The global warming deniers, paid by the oil companies, are lying to you.

Reverend Blair
Thought I might introduce some science to the discussion

Müller Ice Shelf
Is Antarctica melting because of global warming ?
Antarctic cooling, global warming?

Jo Canadian

It's not that the climate isn't warming, it's that the antarctic ice sheet is growing. It's not that the climate isn't warming, it's that the natural causes far outweigh human influence on the climate, and research indicates natural causes are increasing. The only thing that can be said for sure is that the climate is always changing, either up or down, which is well documented. It's also been documented that similar warm temperatures occured in the Canadian arctic in the '30's, when coincidentally, the hottest summer temperature ever was recorded in Toronto, and also around the turn of the last century it's known that the northwest passage was open as never before or since.

Deja Vu man, I believe we've aready went through the warming in the 30's before.

Quote:

EH? I didn't deny that it was warmer in the 30's. What I was saying that changes of warm/cold in the north are GRADUAL. What happened in the 30's was the normal ebb and flow, what's happening now is not normal.

If saying "it was warmer in the 30's" makes you feel better than say it, but that's just an excuse to ignore the bigger picture. If there were any inuks on this site reading this they'd say, " i i i h u m i t o q !!!"

THE HORSE IS DEAD! Believing is one thing. Concrete experience is usually more importa......aaaaaah whatever. Keep kicking man.

Extrafire
Yeah, I know we went through that stuff, but you were starting it over again. And check the records, warming in the '30s sas not gradual.

Future generations will be amazed at the gullibility of our generation in falling for all the Kyoto crap.

I think not
To encourage and assist the Canadian Federal Government to re-evaluate the Kyoto Protocol by engaging in a national public debate on the scientific merit of Kyoto and the Global Warming issue, and to educate the public through dissemination of relevant, balanced and objective technical information on this subject.

http://www.friendsofscience.org/

This is interesting info

Reverend Blair
Quote:

Yeah, I know we went through that stuff, but you were starting it over again. And check the records, warming in the '30s sas not gradual.

Those are new links showing that you are wrong about your wholly unscientific claims about the Antarctic, Extrafire.

Quote: Originally Posted by ITN

To encourage and assist the Canadian Federal Government to re-evaluate the Kyoto Protocol by engaging in a national public debate on the scientific merit of Kyoto and the Global Warming issue, and to educate the public through dissemination of relevant, balanced and objective technical information on this subject.

This is interesting info

What's more interesting is what you find when you start looking into Patterson and Ball and the whole Friends of Science bunch. They are funded by the oil companies and every bit of "information" they put out fails to stand up to real science.

Extrafire
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

This is interesting info

Yup, but you'll notice that the left will ignore the evidence and dismiss them as funded by the oil companies. They may well be, and so their data should be checked, but they should not be dismissed out of hand as Rev does.

Extrafire
Quote:

Those are new links showing that you are wrong about your wholly unscientific claims about the Antarctic, Extrafire.

They aren't my claims and they are scientific.

Reverend Blair
Ball and Patterson have been thouroughly discredited scientifically. So have all their buddies. The oil companies are paying these people to lie because the oil companies want to profit.

I think not
TOP UN CLIMATE OFFICIAL QUESTIONS KYOTO
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE June 24, 2005

Friends of Science wishes to bring to Canadian media attention a critical development regarding global warming and the Kyoto Protocol.

Yesterday, Yury Izrael, Director, Global Climate and Ecology Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences and United Nations International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Vice President, contradicted the UN IPCC’s long standing position that trends in global climate can be attributed to man-made causes, and questioned the Kyoto Protocol. In the text, he is quoted as saying,

“One issue on the table at the G8 summit at Gleneagles in early July is global climate change. As I see it, this problem is overshadowed by many fallacies and misconceptions that often form the basis for important political decisions. G8 leaders should pay attention to them. There is no proven link between human activity and global warming.

Global temperatures increased throughout the 1940s, declined in the 1970s and subsequently began to rise again. Present-day global warming resembles the 1940s, when ships could easily navigate Arctic passages. However, man's impact was much smaller at that time. A Russian expedition that recently returned from the central Antarctic says that temperatures are now starting to decrease. These sensational findings are one of Mother Nature's surprises.

Atmospheric CO2 was 280 PPM (parts per million air molecules) in 1880, and now stands at 378 PPM. It has increased by 31% since the pre-industrial era. This is quite a lot, but temperatures have increased by only 0.6 degrees. Paradoxically, temperatures tended to rise by one to 12 degrees at peak intervals, with carbon-dioxide fluctuations totalling not more than 300 PPM. Therefore I believe that the link between man's activities and rising temperatures has not been proved completely.

Scientists should comprehend the needs of politicians, and vice versa. I think this concept is quite effective. Unfortunately, some political decisions disregard the opinion of science.”

The full text can be found at
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20050623/40748412.html

Josh Proll, Executive Director of the Canadian group Friends of Science re-iterated their call for a full scientific review of the theory of man-made global warming and the Kyoto Protocol. “When the Vice President of the body responsible for the Kyoto Protocol denies a link between man’s activities and global warming, then Canada should not be considering a $10 billion dollar Kyoto expenditure. If we knew in the 1990’s what we know now about global warming, there would be no Kyoto Protocol. It’s time to put science ahead of hype and exaggeration, and for the facts to come out,” said Proll today.

-30-

Friends of Science would be pleased to help schedule interviews on this issue.
Call Josh Proll at 403.816.3578
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Well they give out their phone number, anyone inclined can call them and see if they answer as Exxon-Mobil

Jay
http://www.friendsofscience.org/index.php?ide=11

Jay
I'm interested in comments from the crowd on these last posts...

I think not
Well I checked a database. They are a non-profit but not a registered charity in Canada. Which means they are NOT tax exempt. So anyone giving them donations cannot claim anything on their tax returns, be it corporations or individuals.

Which leads me to believe they fund it themselves, seeing that their videos are rather poor in quality, not to mention their website.

So maybe, the only thing they have to gain is .....the truth?

Reverend Blair
The science supporting climate change is solid, Jay. The ones speaking out against climate change and Kyoto are doing it for political reasons. Oddly enough they use the same techniques as the anti-evolutionists.

An example from the above post?

Quote:

Global temperatures increased throughout the 1940s, declined in the 1970s and subsequently began to rise again. Present-day global warming resembles the 1940s, when ships could easily navigate Arctic passages. However, man's impact was much smaller at that time.

They forgot to mention that the permafrost wasn't melting in the 1940s, that our records and data are much more accurate now, and that the theories and models take cycles and microclimates into account...even predict them.

The technique is to take real science out of context and present it to an unscientific audience as if it was the whole story. The motivation is political in this case, instead of religious, but the overlap in those duped by it are pretty solid...it is faith-based instead of science based and it is being put forth by people with their own agenda.

manda

Everybody needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

YOu know rubbing it in, isn't very nice

Jay

Well I checked a database. They are a non-profit but not a registered charity in Canada. Which means they are NOT tax exempt. So anyone giving them donations cannot claim anything on their tax returns, be it corporations or individuals.

Which leads me to believe they fund it themselves, seeing that their videos are rather poor in quality, not to mention their website.

Not your comments..

I was just kidding ITN...I'm always interested in what you have to say....

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

Not your comments..

Jay

Not your comments..

I can only imagine what horrible thing lies behind that X...

manda

Not your comments..

I can only imagine what horrible thing lies behind that X...

Be afraid...very afraid

I think not
Fixed, here it is again:

Reverend Blair
Quote:

They are what's known as an astroturf, ITN. They pretend to be grass roots, but front for powerful interests.

Do yourself a favour...take some names off that site and punch them in here.

Jay

Fixed, here it is again:

Americans and their gun culture.....

I think not

Fixed, here it is again:

Americans and their gun culture.....

I was going to use a beheading smilie, I found that more appropriate, but couldnt find one....unfortunately