Report confirms oilsands pollution rising

mentalfloss

A new inventory report on greenhouse gases Wednesday has confirmed that Canadian emissions levels continued to drop in most sectors for 2010 except in the oil-and-gas industry's booming oilsands activities.

Canada is required to submit the inventory to the international community as part of its obligations under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, and the latest figures show that the country's overall annual emissions increased by 0.25 per cent in 2010 to the equivalent of about 692 megatonnes of carbon dioxide emissions.

Led by provincial policies in recent years, including the Ontario government's efforts to close its coal-fired power plants, the country's overall emissions have stabilized while the economy continues to grow.

Separate figures released by the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers show that annual emissions in-creased in 2010 by 14 per cent for the oilsands sector, while emissions per barrel in that industry increased by two per cent in the same year.

Canada's official report last year generated controversy because of a decision to exclude a breakdown of oilsands emissions from the inventory, even though this breakdown was included the previous year. The missing de-tails eventually revealed that the booming sector's pollution was dramatically rising to levels that would make it difficult for the federal government to meet its own annual emissions target of 607 megatonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent emissions by 2020.

Environment Minister Peter Kent has repeatedly declined to answer questions on who decided to exclude the details.

Successive federal environment ministers have pledged to regulate pollution from the oilsands sector for more than a decade without delivering a concrete plan.

petros
Gosh darn it. It's drifting right in to the uranium polluted areas.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

A new inventory report on greenhouse gases Wednesday has confirmed that Canadian emissions levels continued to drop in most sectors for 2010 except in the oil-and-gas industry's booming oilsands activities.

Can you never report on any good news?

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Can you never report on any good news?

Yes, I can never report on any good news.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Gosh darn it. It's drifting right in to the uranium polluted areas.

The world is full of sh*t but as soon as it moves, then it becomes pollution!

petros
+1
I don't see anybody selling off every thing they own that consumes or is made using oil.

Cliffy
+1

I don't see anybody selling off every thing they own that consumes or is made using oil.

We wouldn't have such a pollution problem if we only produced oil that we needed, but no, we have to sell far more than we consume to foreign nations like China and the US. We continue destroy our environment so others can pollute. We did the same in the forestry sector, now the industry is dying because all the easily accessible trees are all gone.

petros
We have a pollution problem?

karrie
+2
#9  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

We wouldn't have such a pollution problem if we only produced oil that we needed, but no, we have to sell far more than we consume to foreign nations like China and the US. We continue destroy our environment so others can pollute. We did the same in the forestry sector, now the industry is dying because all the easily accessible trees are all gone.

Well yeah... we have to send them our petroleum for them to send us back our cheap crappy plastic dollar store goods.

JLM

Doesn't the economy depend on the purchase and sale of goods?

mentalfloss

Does it depend on production and revenue in excess of what's reasonable?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Does it depend on production and revenue in excess of what's reasonable?

I would think as long as it's not in excess of demand!

MHz

Today the forestry replants as soon as the harvest a block, that wasn't always the case so there is a gap in availably and demand.

mentalfloss

I would think as long as it's not in excess of demand!

You're assuming it's a good thing to inherently satisfy demand. Many countries learned the hard lesson that it isn't a good idea to dole out mortgages just because people want them.

Similarly, pumping out oil full throttle may cause more harm than good.

petros
+2
To have incoming goods you gotta have outgoing goods. That's why it's called "trade".

Cliffy
+1

The capitalist economy is based on greed and perpetual growth. It is unsustainable and stupid to think that we can rape the environment in perpetuity.

We have a pollution problem?

Yes, big time.

Trash Islands - The Ocean Garbage Patch Trash Islands

mentalfloss
+1

To have incoming goods you gotta have outgoing goods. That's why it's called "trade".

The capitalist economy is based on greed and perpetual growth. It is unsustainable and stupid to think that we can rape the environment in perpetuity.

Damn skippy.

Cliffy

We consume far more than we contribute and far beyond our means. Per capita we consume far more than 90% of the world population. Decadence has its price and we are about to get the bill.

petros
+2
Taking a **** is raping the environment. We should all stop ****ting.

Cliffy

If we didn't eat junk food our crap would be grade A fertilizer.

petros
I don't eat junk food.

Cliffy

I don't eat junk food.

Then you have nothing to complain about. 99% of Canadians produce toxic waste into the environment.

MHz

If we didn't eat junk food our crap would be grade A fertilizer.

Let it dry out and use it in a fire then.

JLM

Yes, big time.

Trash Islands - The Ocean Garbage Patch Trash Islands

I happen to think we can have an economy AND an environment............it's the greed we have to eliminate, and then things will be done properly. I can remember when MacMillan & Bloedel logged right up to every creek and river and left a 3' depth of logging slash laying on the ground. Perfect recipe for forest fires! They finally quit doing that sh*t!

mentalfloss

Cliffy

I happen to think we can have an economy AND an environment............it's the greed we have to eliminate, and then things will be done properly. I can remember when MacMillan & Bloedel logged right up to every creek and river and left a 3' depth of logging slash laying on the ground. Perfect recipe for forest fires! They finally quit doing that sh*t!

Yup, and where is Mac Blo today? Dead, sold out, bought out by... wait for it... a US company that doesn't give a sh!t about or environment.

petros
I sat through a talk given by this Moore guy (sponsored by Cameco) who was one of the founding guys in Greenpeace. He now promotes nuclear energy. I wish I had a transcript. The guy knows his **** and some on here could really learn a thing or two from a fella like that.

Yup, and where is Mac Blo today? Dead, sold out, bought out by... wait for it... a US company that doesn't give a sh!t about or environment.

The CDN pulp industry is toast because of enviro crack downs.

MHz
+1

The rape happens because not all the recommendations are followed and that is to give shareholder the biggest return on their money.

Even today the technology exist that could go into the old Yukon gold mines and go through the tailings and extract everything into it's proper bin/tank. It would be done if a profit could be made, since it would cost more than it would make it isn't done. That is where the pollution comes from.

petros
Where the hell do you people get the screwed up idea that there are no enviro regs and big Corps can do what ever the **** they want?

mentalfloss

Where the hell do you people get the screwed up idea that there are no enviro regs and big Corps can do what ever the **** they want?

What does this have to do with the OP?