Six Indian factory workers drown in giant vat of tomato sauce

Praxius
Six Indian factory workers drown in giant vat of tomato sauce | News.com.au

Quote:

SIX workers drowned after falling into a giant vat of tomato sauce at a factory in India, the Indian Express reported.

The horrifying incident unfolded Wednesday evening when a female worker slipped and fell into the 6m deep tank.

As five colleagues dived in to grab her they were all overcome by fumes given off from fermenting vegetables and drowned, the newspaper said.

Two more workers were in a hospital following the tragic incident at the Akansha Food Products unit in Lucknow, in the Uttar Pradesh region of northeastern India.

Investigators say the woman, named as Usha, was scooping up fermented vegetables from the vat when she slipped off her ladder and plunged into the raw material used to make the sauce.

“When the woman fell in, the other workers jumped in to help her,” said Rajiv Krishna, Lucknow's Senior Superintendent of Police.

The factory owner was taken into custody, the Indian Express said.

Jeez, just like lemmings.... you'd think they'd have a pole or something nearby.

Nuggler
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
Just don't eat ketchup for the next lil while. It'll all work out.

Six less to work at the Bell answering service..

petros
I'm glad I don't work with you two.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Why? There's nothing wrong with a little saucy humour...

karrie
So sad. It reminds me of the root cellar incident that happened a few years ago, where a child went down to the root cellar and collapsed, so her brother went after her. Once he'd collapsed, dad ran after him, and all three ended up dead from H2S poisoning.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Good one....

It's seems funny as an outsider but if you are losing a friend or workmate panic and compassion sets in and logic vanishes.

Safety is one of the reason industry sets up in India. There isn't any.

CDNBear

Good one....

It's seems funny as an outsider but if you are losing a friend or workmate panic and compassion sets in and logic vanishes.

Oh I don't question why they all died. I know how people think in those situations.

Quote:

To true.

Nuggler
+1

Aw c'mon. Little black humour get to ya!!

I'd like to work with you, Petros. Specially near open vats. Molson's would be good.

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Wakka wakka.

Good one....

Yeah but you'd think they'd know by working there that there's fumes that are dangerous and one would have told them on training day not to jump into the vats.

I suggested a pole for the same reason they're used when someone breaks through ice..... to help them while not killing yourself in the process.

No good comes from trying to act like a hero if you don't bother to think first.... while it may be noble and all.... all you usually end up doing is creating more victims and more bodies for the police to scoop out afterwards.

lone wolf
Sometimes we react faster than we think. A couple of years ago two guys on a farm close by were killed and one hospitalised when the outlet pipe on a empty liquefied manure spreader bunged up. One guy went on and didn't come out. The second went in because it seemed to be taking a long time. The survivor looked in - and called 911 before he went in to rescue them.

All three were firefighters.

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Sometimes we react faster than we think. A couple of years ago two guys on a farm close by were killed and one hospitalised when the outlet pipe on a empty liquefied manure spreader bunged up. One guy went on and didn't come out. The second went in because it seemed to be taking a long time. The survivor looked in - and called 911 before he went in to rescue them.

All three were firefighters.

Natural Selection.

karrie
Hindsight is 20/20. These people tried at least. Here in Edmonton recently, taking that kind of stupid risk meant two young men pulled a mom and her baby to safety out of a collapsing house before fire got to them. It could so easily have gone the other way, yes, but.... until it's all said and done, you never know how you'd react in a similar situation. I know my dad's family terribly miss both his sister, and the man who died trying to rescue her, but I doubt if I'd been in his place that I'd have not tried.

Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

Natural Selection.

Yes, it is... human beings fight for their tribe. Human beings react, and try to help. Sometimes it's detrimental, but without that risk taking, we never would have made it to where we are. I know you think you're 'above' the masses prax, but, natural selection drives much of our instinctual action.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

After the first fell in, the others just wanted to ketchup to her.

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Hindsight is 20/20. These people tried at least. Here in Edmonton recently, taking that kind of stupid risk meant two young men pulled a mom and her baby to safety out of a collapsing house before fire got to them. It could so easily have gone the other way, yes, but.... until it's all said and done, you never know how you'd react in a similar situation. I know my dad's family terribly miss both his sister, and the man who died trying to rescue her, but I doubt if I'd been in his place that I'd have not tried.

When I was 9 and the only one in my house when it was burning down around me, my neighbor's father and my brother/sister knocked on windows to locate where I was and all that good stuff but were smart enough not to enter the house and add more possible victims.... I eventually found my way out and escaped when about 2 minutes later the fire dept showed up, and granted every other situation out there is completely different, I would never ask nor want anybody to enter a burning building to save my skin.

But to each their own.

My brother's best friend when they were about the same age a few years earlier went out to save a kid who got pulled out by the tides while swimming and they both drowned..... when it comes to situations like the above, everybody makes their decisions on what's right to do..... in the end, we pay the price for such decisions..... maybe it's a good price, maybe it's a bad price.... and if I didn't get out on my own when I did.... then it too would have been my own natural selection.

Quote:

Yes, it is... human beings fight for their tribe. Human beings react, and try to help. Sometimes it's detrimental, but without that risk taking, we never would have made it to where we are. I know you think you're 'above' the masses prax, but, natural selection drives much of our instinctual action.

Life is full of risk..... my entire point is to at least take one or two seconds to think about what you're about to do before you actually do it to determine the risks and if they're worth it..... those one or two seconds might be critical in determining if someone lives or dies, but that's all pretty irrelevant if they die anyways and you die along with them.

Sure you may look like a hero, but both of you are still dead aren't you?

I suppose it's the thought that counts.

karrie
[QUOTE=Praxius;1301608..... my entire point is to at least take one or two seconds to think about what you're about to do..[/QUOTE]

Well, your entire point with your natural selection comment came across as to imply they deserved to die and we're better off without them. That's a pretty huge difference from what you're saying you're trying to say about people who risk and lose their lives for others.

Mowich
One wonders why they didn't put a ladder down to help the woman out.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

Six less to work at the Bell answering service..

Six fewer parents and spouses too possibly.

And as for working at the Bell answering service, whoever's more qualified for the job at the right price should get it. Don't you just love it when nationalists come along usurping the free market based on ethnic politics

So sad. It reminds me of the root cellar incident that happened a few years ago, where a child went down to the root cellar and collapsed, so her brother went after her. Once he'd collapsed, dad ran after him, and all three ended up dead from H2S poisoning.

Were they Eat Indian? If so, then Nuggler must have had a party to celebrate 3 fewer possible future Bell workers.

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

After the first fell in, the others just wanted to ketchup to her.

I wonder how these six former employees will be listed on the ingredients
on the side of the bottle or can?

YukonJack
All of the despicable racist ghouls who find this story funny and crack immature puns about it should have their best loved relatives perish in an industrial accident.

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

All of the despicable racist ghouls who find this story funny and crack immature puns about it should have their best loved relatives perish in an industrial accident.

Black Humour...it's a coping mechanism. Check this out:

http://www.massey.ac.nz/~trauma/issues/1997-3/moran1.htm

You can start at the "Theories of Humour" area.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

Wakka wakka.

Yeah but you'd think they'd know by working there that there's fumes that are dangerous and one would have told them on training day not to jump into the vats.

I suggested a pole for the same reason they're used when someone breaks through ice..... to help them while not killing yourself in the process.

No good comes from trying to act like a hero if you don't bother to think first.... while it may be noble and all.... all you usually end up doing is creating more victims and more bodies for the police to scoop out afterwards.

Even here with good safety rules tis still happens. Remember the two mine workers that died in a test hole in B.C.? Two trained EMS workers also died by not taking basic safety precautions. All of them should have known better, especially the two workers that were doing the sampling. Sniffers are not very expensive and are easy to operate and would have prevented this incident.
First rule in first aid: "IS THE SCENE SAFE?" Dead rescuers are a liability, not an asset.

YukonJack
Ron in Regina, here is a sample of black humour, which I am sure you will delete as soon as you read it:

An old couple from New York is vacationing in Alabama. On their way back to their hotel on a country road on a dark night, they hit with their car two black men, on their way home after spending a day picking cotton. One breaks through the winshield of their car. The other one is unconcious, tossed in the ditch.

They feel horrible about it. They call the local sheriff who is, needless to say, a fat white old boy.

When he assesses the situation he declares, pointing to the one through the winshield: "I charge this boy with breaking and and entering." Then points to the one in the ditch: "I charge this old boy with leaving the scene of the accident".

Just so that you know, I have my own limits on the propriety of racial jokes. If this one offended your sensibilities, most of the posts above offended mine.

Also, my joke is strictly fiction. The one that you and the others laugh and joke about is REAL.

Machjo

Ron in Regina, here is a sample of black humour, which I am sure you will delete as soon as you read it:

An old couple from New York is vacationing in Alabama. On their way back to their hotel on a country road on a dark night, they hit with their car two black men, on their way home after spending a day picking cotton. One breaks through the winshield of their car. The other one is unconcious, tossed in the ditch.

They feel horrible about it. They call the local sheriff who is, needless to say, a fat white old boy.

When he assesses the situation he declares, pointing to the one through the winshield: "I charge this boy with breaking and and entering." Then points to the one in the ditch: "I charge this old boy with leaving the scene of the accident".

Just so that you know, I have my own limits on the propriety of racial jokes. If this one offended your sensibilities, most of the posts above offended mine.

Also, my joke is strictly fiction. The one that you and the others laugh and joke about is REAL.

YJ, my comment was a criticism of Nuggler.

TenPenny

What is racist about that?

lone wolf
Gallows humour is one of those things that's a lot more comfortable than saying "There, but for Grace and good fortune, go I"

YukonJack
My point was that making jokes about and laughing about fictional characters, even stereo-typing, is acceptable if done in a tasteful way.

But some of the jokesters above seemed to forget that those who drowned had families who mourn them.

TenPenny

My point was that making jokes about and laughing about fictional characters, even stereo-typing, is acceptable if done in a tasteful way.

But some of the jokesters above seemed to forget that those who drowned had families who mourn them.

You said it was racist.
I was hoping you'd be able to explain why.

YukonJack
"You said it was racist.
I was hoping you'd be able to explain why."

Posts #2 @ 17.

Less offensive than those have been deemed racist.

Praxius

Well, your entire point with your natural selection comment came across as to imply they deserved to die and we're better off without them. That's a pretty huge difference from what you're saying you're trying to say about people who risk and lose their lives for others.

If someone thinks the risks are acceptable and they hold a chance at saving someone's life, then at least they thought it through and weighed the risks..... such as thinking an area of a burning building is passable and you have a chance at getting in, grabbing someone and getting out..... verses balls of fire shooting out all the doors and windows and someone running directly into the fire and killing themselves because they think they're supermen/women..... someone doing that is indeed hitting the Natural Selection Nail right on the head and allowing their emotions/instincts to take over their reasoning and have no concept on what's going to happen if they run into that ball of fire bellowing out the door.... that to me is Natural Selection.... I'm not saying we're all better off that they're dead..... they let their natural instincts take over their decision process.... perhaps even out of their own control..... I imagine it could happen to any of us, and if it happened to me, then it too would be natural selection on my part.

Jumping into a vat of tomato sauce filled with toxic chemicals that obviously lead to them all dying, when they worked there and should have known better not to pull such a stunt, would seem to be a representation of the second example of not thinking before acting.

Now whether they did this because there were no other procedures or safety equipment nearby they could have used, or if it all occurred because the owner of the company did not provide them with the proper education/training towards the toxins, remains to be seen..... but Six workers died in this incident, all from doing the exact same thing as the one before them..... obviously someone somewhere royally screwed up.

Jebus Yukon.... do you ever smile and have a good time, or do you always have to doom and gloom everything everybody does in here as if you're the perfect moral compass for all to follow?

For the record, I stated nothing that would be deemed racist..... I still find it funny to an extent because of the situation that occurred and my view and responses would be the exact same no matter their race of which country this occurred in.

Sh*t happens, that's called life..... if you can't laugh at everything, then you can't laugh at anything.... and if in the future I end up doing something just as stupid, then by all means, crack all the jokes and point your finger all you damn well please..... I'd deserve it and wouldn't hold it against you.

But until then.......

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Even here with good safety rules tis still happens. Remember the two mine workers that died in a test hole in B.C.? Two trained EMS workers also died by not taking basic safety precautions. All of them should have known better, especially the two workers that were doing the sampling. Sniffers are not very expensive and are easy to operate and would have prevented this incident.
First rule in first aid: "IS THE SCENE SAFE?" Dead rescuers are a liability, not an asset.

I agree 100%.... regardless of all the safety procedures and rules, yes these things will still occur from time to time..... but those safety procedures are there to reduce these things from happening in the first place, and imo, they greatly reduce the amount of accidents, injuries and deaths that occur.

When you don't follow the procedures that should be in place, or at the very least, you don't take the time to think about what to do and just simply react..... then like your examples above, accidents and deaths will occur almost every time. More people will end up dead then there will be saved..... and as you said, dead rescuers are indeed a liability..... such as in the original report, rather then having the one dead victim who fell in, officials ended up with six.

Oh please.... you're so wound up I'm surprised your turds don't come out with swirls.

YukonJack
Praxius, after all the crap you usually spout on this forum, in long-winded, interminable rants, tirades and diatribes, at last you came up with the very first short and intelligent post (or at least part of one):

"Oh please.... you're so wound up I'm surprised your turds don't come out with swirls."