spaminator
Polish minister says eating beavers is an 'aphrodisiac'
Reuters
Published:
June 7, 2019
Updated:
June 7, 2019 12:57 PM EDT
(Getty Images file photo)
WARSAW — Beavers could be a good source of food, Poland’s agriculture minister said on Friday, after he outraged animal rights activists by joking the aphrodisiac qualities of the rodents’ tails could encourage Poles to eat them.
Jan Ardanowski made his tongue-in-cheek comment on the tails in May when outlining plans to allow to the eating of beavers and European bison to encourage hunting of the animals to regulate numbers. His comments were only widely reported this week and Ardanowski stood by his proposals:
“Those animals could be used for culinary purposes and it doesn’t seem to me that would be something completely absurd,” Ardanowski told reporters on broadcaster TVN24.
Poland’s ruling nationalists Law and Justice (PiS) are no strangers to conflicts with environmentalists, with decisions to cull wild boar and carry out large-scale logging in the ancient Bialowieza forest provoking widespread opposition.
“It’s another step on his (Ardanowski’s) crusade against nature, said Krzysztof Cibor from Greenpeace. “From our point of view it is totally irresponsible.”
European bison are a protected species in Poland and viewed by some as symbolic of the country. Beavers are partially protected, meaning some reduction of the population is allowed, but hunting for food is almost unheard of.
Polish state-run news agency PAP quoted Ardanowski as saying on Friday there were around 100,000 beavers in Poland which cause problems for farmers and damage rivers.
WWF Poland spokeswoman Katarzyna Karpa-Swiderek said that while Ardanowski may have been joking, the reference to beavers’ tails was dangerous.
“We know many examples around the world where people believe in some kind of magical power or healing power of part of an animal’s body and this species of animal is on the verge of extinction.”
The Ministry for Agriculture was not immediately able to comment.
http://torontosun.com/news/world/pol...an-aphrodisiac

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1
I don't know about you but eating beaver turns ME on!

spaminator
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I don't know about you but eating beaver turns ME on!

there should be an adult version of leave it to beaver.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

there should be an adult version of leave it to beaver.

http://youtu.be/F7AQkui_fcA

Blackleaf
I've eaten a scorpion. I ate a kangaroo burger at the Christmas market in Liverpool a few years ago. A few months ago I had a couple of ostrich burgers. I used to eat ants as a kid.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

I've eaten a scorpion. I ate a kangaroo burger at the Christmas market in Liverpool a few years ago. A few months ago I had a couple of ostrich burgers. I used to eat ants as a kid.

And now you eat BNP dick.

Ah, well, Briddish "cuisine."

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

And now you eat BNP dick.
Ah, well, Briddish "cuisine."

I'm not partaking in culinary lessons from a Yank.

Tecumsehsbones

I'm not partaking in culinary lessons from a Yank.

Wouldn't expect you to. We don't eat offal and Nigel Farage's stool sample.

Blackleaf

Wouldn't expect you to. We don't eat offal and Nigel Farage's stool sample.

No. You eat processed "cheese" and microwave hamburgers.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Ahh, yes...the Great English Feast ... a haunch of mutton with spuds and vegetable boiled 'til they're grey.

Blackleaf
Here we go again. The return of Zippy and Bungle.

Tecumsehsbones

Kidney. Blood sausage. Suet pudding.

Shall I go north of Hadrian's wall?

Had much spotted dick lately?

Blackleaf

Kidney. Blood sausage. Suet pudding.
Shall I go north of Hadrian's wall?
Had much spotted dick lately?

What's wrong with spotted dick and black pudding?

taxslave
Free Thinker

What's wrong with spotted dick and black pudding?

You might want to know what caused the spots on his dick.

Blackleaf
Spotted dick

White_Unifier
+1
Brittish cuisine is terrible on all fronts (except Marmite and golden syrup, that is).

First, on the marketting front, who ever came up with the idea of promoting a dish by the name of 'spotted dick'.

Second, one serving of your English breakfast contains enough cholesterol that to serve it to someone probably constitutes manslaughter in some states.

Third, Indian cuisine tastes better, is healthier, and isn't named after genitalia.

White_Unifier
Also, Indian cuisine is less expensive too. British cuisine beats Indian only on two fronts:

1. Its ability to activate the gag reflex.

2. Its ability to cause heartburn.
Last edited by White_Unifier; Jun 10th, 2019 at 04:16 PM..

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

First, on the marketting front, who ever came up with the idea of promoting a dish by the name of 'spotted dick'.

Or "hot dog".

White_Unifier

Or "hot dog".

Hot dogs aren't Indian cuisine.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Also, Indian cuisine is less expensive too. British cuisine beats Indian only on two fronts:
1. Its ability to activate the gag reflex.
2. Its ability to cause heartburn.

Blackleaf
Quote:

Hot dogs aren't Indian cuisine.

No. It was probably invented in St Louis, Missouri, in 1880.

Apart from the Frankfurter, which was invented in Germany - the country where my mother was born in 1956 - in the 13th Century.