Policy cost Canada UN seat: former ambassador


CBC News
#1
Experts are blaming Canada's failure to win a seat on the United Nations Security Council on its foreign policy, not political division, a day after Tuesday's surprise loss in New York.

More...
 
YukonJack
Conservative
#2
Thank, God!!!!

Why would Canada want to be a member of THIS club:

Membership of the Security Council

the only more pathetic bunch of losers is the WWE ham-and-eggers.
 
mentalfloss
#3
There we go.

This shouldn't be surprising in the least. We have a few obvious black marks with Kyoto, Copenhagen, and our new-found militant regime. Oust the economists, bring in the libertarians and environmentalists and we'll get our seat next time.
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
#4
The UN is a joke, the fact that you basically have to sell your soul to join the security club says it all.
 
YukonJack
Conservative
#5
This cancershould be purged from the body of the United States. Let it relocate in Gabon, Congo, Burkina Faso, Zimbabwe or any other similar hell hole on the globe.

Let it survive without the contribution and maintenance of the PRODUCERS in the world, or die a well-deserved, long-overdue death.
 
Curiosity
+2
#6  Top Rated Post
Canada's omission for whatever "reason" is a testament to the idiocy of this gang of thieves.
 
Praxius
Free Thinker
#7

Nova Scotia News - TheChronicleHerald.ca
 
Colpy
Conservative
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post


Nova Scotia News - TheChronicleHerald.ca

LOL!

Damn shame that.....we'd be better off.
 
Cobalt_Kid
+2
#9
When the conservatives claim it was comments made by the Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff that cost Canada a seat on the UN Security Council they're being less than honest, in fact they're lying.

None of the UN delegates when asked by CBC journalists were even aware of Ignatieffs statements and considering the major effort this current government has gone to to downplay the importance of the opposition and the House in general in this country it's likely that little of what's said domestically in Canada is even heard elsewhere.

What UN delegates and others do say is it's the foreign policies of Steven Harper that have caused the sharp decline of support for Canada at the UN. Canada's continuing efforts to block international climate change initiatives that are supported by most nations of the world, his pro-Israel bias, withdrawl of aid from Africa and refusal to sign declarations on Aboriginal and social rights have alienated many.

Harper showing up at the UN at the last minute, a hasty aid package to Africa and little maple syrup bottles for delegates was just another cynical touch by a government out of touch.

Having a far right of center government in power has it's consequences.
 
Icarus27k
#10
Yeah. Sorry, Canada, for not getting onto the Security Council this time.
 
Avro
No Party Affiliation
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Cobalt_Kid View Post

When the conservatives claim it was comments made by the Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff that cost Canada a seat on the UN Security Council they're being less than honest, in fact they're lying.

None of the UN delegates when asked by CBC journalists were even aware of Ignatieffs statements and considering the major effort this current government has gone to to downplay the importance of the opposition and the House in general in this country it's likely that little of what's said domestically in Canada is even heard elsewhere.

What UN delegates and others do say is it's the foreign policies of Steven Harper that have caused the sharp decline of support for Canada at the UN. Canada's continuing efforts to block international climate change initiatives that are supported by most nations of the world, his pro-Israel bias, withdrawl of aid from Africa and refusal to sign declarations on Aboriginal and social rights have alienated many.

Harper showing up at the UN at the last minute, a hasty aid package to Africa and little maple syrup bottles for delegates was just another cynical touch by a government out of touch.

Having a far right of center government in power has it's consequences.

Sorry, but the leanings of a government either left or right should have no bearing on a decision like this.

This is shameful of the UN.

Do you think China should be a permanent member given it's human rights violations?
 
karrie
No Party Affiliation
#12
Is there any appreciable difference between this thread and the other thread on the subject? If no one can show me one in the next half hour, I will merge the two.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/cb...a-un-seat.html
 
Avro
No Party Affiliation
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Is there any appreciable difference between this thread and the other thread on the subject? If no one can show me one in the next half hour, I will merge the two.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/cb...a-un-seat.html

None...merge away.
 
Cobalt_Kid
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

Sorry, but the leanings of a government either left or right should have no bearing on a decision like this.

This is shameful of the UN.

Do you think China should be a permanent member given it's human rights violations?

We're not China we're Canada, in the past we depended on our reputation for impartiality and fairness for much of our support at the UN.

The far right ideologies of Harper have destroyed much of the old image of Canada both at home and abroad, blaming Ignatieff for the consequences is dishonest.

Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Is there any appreciable difference between this thread and the other thread on the subject? If no one can show me one in the next half hour, I will merge the two.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/cb...a-un-seat.html

merge away, I didn't see the other thread
 
Avro
No Party Affiliation
+1 / -1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Cobalt_Kid View Post

We're not China we're Canada, in the past we depended on our reputation for impartiality and fairness for much of our support at the UN.

The far right ideologies of Harper have destroyed much of the old image of Canada both at home and abroad, blaming Ignatieff for the consequences is dishonest.



merge away, I didn't see the other thread

Far right?

Give me a break.

Even if....so what?

Now only lefties need apply?

Utter nonsense.
 
karrie
No Party Affiliation
#16
Thanks guys
 
Praxius
Free Thinker
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Cobalt_Kid View Post

When the conservatives claim it was comments made by the Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff that cost Canada a seat on the UN Security Council they're being less than honest, in fact they're lying.

None of the UN delegates when asked by CBC journalists were even aware of Ignatieffs statements and considering the major effort this current government has gone to to downplay the importance of the opposition and the House in general in this country it's likely that little of what's said domestically in Canada is even heard elsewhere.

What UN delegates and others do say is it's the foreign policies of Steven Harper that have caused the sharp decline of support for Canada at the UN. Canada's continuing efforts to block international climate change initiatives that are supported by most nations of the world, his pro-Israel bias, withdrawl of aid from Africa and refusal to sign declarations on Aboriginal and social rights have alienated many.

Harper showing up at the UN at the last minute, a hasty aid package to Africa and little maple syrup bottles for delegates was just another cynical touch by a government out of touch.

Having a far right of center government in power has it's consequences.

Agreed and apparently the UAE also did a little work to help squash attempts of Canada getting a seat:

UAE sought to sink Canada's bid for UN Security Council seat in latest blow to relations
UAE sought to sink Canada's bid for UN Security Council seat in latest blow to relations - Society - Canada - World - The News (New Glasgow)

Quote:

The United Arab Emirates lobbied against Canada's bid for a U.N. Security Council seat in the latest blow to relations that soured after disputes over airline routes, a UAE official said Thursday.

The Gulf country's opposition followed harsh complaints about Canada's refusal to open more flights for the fast-growing carriers Emirates and Etihad. The government in Abu Dhabi is also forcing Canada to leave a military base that is used to supply Canadian forces in Afghanistan.......

So while Harper and his idiots may continue to play the blame shifting game and finger point at everybody else..... in reality, it's Harper's fault.... it's the Conservative's fault.

Don't forget, they're the leading party, therefore they're directly responsible.

What really gets me is that while we have this blunder of not getting a seat for the first time in our country's history , and all of the continual corruption, two-face back-stabbing, lying and pitting of parties against parties with no sign of any sort of co-operation the Conservatives have been using since they gained power...... both CTV and CBC toss out yet another poll saying that the Cons are slightly leading the Liberals.

*shakes head*

How the sweet fok does that work??

They screw up just about everything under the sun, throw out elections that served no purpose other then to gain a couple of seats, send the majority of the stimulus money to communities that voted Conservative, lied to the general public about the Coalition.... Prorogue Parliament in order to save his own party's ass and his position, divides the country and resurrects the separatist issues, thumbs his arse pucker at the UN for years until just a few days ago where he starts to kiss ass....... publicly takes a side in the Middle East conflict and excuses the atrocities committed by Israel.......

..... Hell there's so much more I could list, but all one needs to do is search these forums for a good detailed list of his and his party's blunders and incompetence........

...... Out of all of that..... the Conservatives gain support?

Conservatives widen lead: poll
CBC News - Canada - Conservatives widen lead: poll

^ Seriously, how retarded can people be?

I'll be glad that I no longer will have to deal with this kind of BS in a few months, because it sure doesn't look like this country is going to improve much in the future.

This country and its people seem to have lost all their balls (and brains) years ago to allow this idiot to remain in power..... an idiot who acts like some 8 year old kid who blames the neighbor's kid for something he screwed up.... simply because he can't fathom accepting responsibility for the crap that's going on right now.

I'm not a huge fan of the UN or the Security Council since I can't remember the last good thing they did..... but the mere fact that this is the first time in history we've never won a seat and everything points to the principles, actions and practices our current government and our current leader have made over the years should be a wake up call that not only is our "leader" completely incompetent and unworthy to lead this nation.... but the Conservatives and Harper have basically eaten a big plate of cabbage rolls, headed off to the bathroom, took a huge, greasy dump.... and then taken this country's global image and wiped their skudgy ass with it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

Sorry, but the leanings of a government either left or right should have no bearing on a decision like this.

This is shameful of the UN.

Do you think China should be a permanent member given it's human rights violations?

It goes well beyond just human rights violations.
 
Avro
No Party Affiliation
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post


It goes well beyond just human rights violations.

Yeah, you are right, but it is a beginning.
 
mentalfloss
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

Sorry, but the leanings of a government either left or right should have no bearing on a decision like this.

This is shameful of the UN.

Do you think China should be a permanent member given it's human rights violations?


Nope. That's definitely shameful. It's also shameful that the U.S. is another permanent member of the board.

Canada not getting in for very legitimate reasons, however, is not shameful.
 
TenPenny
#20
UAE wants landing slots at Canadian airports, so they don't like us. In the end, though, does it matter if we're on the Security Council?

Other than the bragging rights, does it accomplish anything?
 
Avro
No Party Affiliation
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Nope. That's definitely shameful. It's also shameful that the U.S. is another permanent member of the board.

Canada not getting in for very legitimate reasons, however, is not shameful.

Still trying to figure out the legitimacy of this decision.

I understand the politics of it.

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

UAE wants landing slots at Canadian airports, so they don't like us. In the end, though, does it matter if we're on the Security Council?

Other than the bragging rights, does it accomplish anything?

No probally not.
 
Praxius
Free Thinker
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

UAE wants landing slots at Canadian airports......

Pretty much, but in more detail, they didn't get to bring over more of their planes because apparently Air Canada wouldn't be able to compete with them and their lower costs with more direct flights..... so once again, the government babied Air Canada and threw them yet another lifeline by screwing over the UAE.

And what did this accomplish besides not getting a security council seat?

Well for starters, Air Canada still has no incentive to be competitive, their prices will still remain high, their service mediocre, and many Canadians will be stuck with them with no decent/viable alternatives to choose from.

Seriously, why don't they just let Air Canada tank like they did all the other flight service providers that tanked over recent years?

Allow more companies and businesses to come into the country and let some competition begin so that the consumers can possibly get a friggin deal and better service..... rather then putting up with the continued monopoly mentality Air Canada has, in that you should be privileged to pay them so much money for so little.

Even if foreign companies came in and some Canadian companies went tits up, those companies are still going to need to hire Canadian employees, use Canadian services and resources, etc.... thus the argument of job loses would be next to nill..... in fact, in the long run, chances are there could end up being more jobs, rather then continually applying patches to Air Canada to maintain the limited amount of jobs they offer.

But we know that's not what Harper or the Conservatives want in the first place.

Besides, we all know quite well that.....

.......STEPHEN HARPER DOESN'T LIKE ARAB PEOPLE!
 
Cobalt_Kid
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

Far right?

Give me a break.

Even if....so what?

Now only lefties need apply?

Utter nonsense.

this is the guy loved to attend neocon rallies in the states and rag on Canada as being a socialist state and he's what, a centrist?

If he doesn't represent most Canadians then it's a problem especially when he ends up being the poster child for the climate change denial movement, something you seem educated on.


What exactly do you think our current government represents besides the same industrial interests that are in all likelyhood going to cause serious climate catastrophe.
Last edited by Cobalt_Kid; Oct 29th, 2010 at 12:53 PM..
 
Dixie Cup
Conservative
#24
Oh stop it!! The UN is a waste of the land it sits upon!

JMO
 
Just the Facts
Free Thinker
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

But we know that's not what Harper or the Conservatives want in the first place.

They didn't screw over the UAE, the kept the UAE from screwing us over. That's what they're supposed to do. Nice to see our government working in our best interest for a change.
 
Cobalt_Kid
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

Oh stop it!! The UN is a waste of the land it sits upon!

JMO

The UN was a great idea at the end of WW II and it served us well through the Cold War that might have turned hot without it.

The UN makes it hard for anybody who might want to play tyrant on a global scale and that seems to anger certain people.
 
Colpy
Conservative
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Cobalt_Kid View Post

The UN was a great idea at the end of WW II and it served us well through the Cold War that might have turned hot without it.

The UN makes it hard for anybody who might want to play tyrant on a global scale and that seems to anger certain people.

You're kidding, right?

The UN has acted as it was meant to act exactly twice in history......when it moved against the North Korean invasion of the South in 1950, and when it acted against the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in 1991.

Both times it was behaving as a pawn of the USA. In other words, the ONLY times the UN has acheived anything.........it was really the USA that was acting.

The UN can't stop mass murder in some dusty backwater such as the Sudan. The UN could not stop genocide in Rwanda.........the UN could not stop mass murder in its own safe area of Srebreniza........

Spare me the crap on how the UN prevents anyone acting as a world tyrant.........it is laughable.
 
Tonington
#28
For the record Colpy, Cliffy said "makes it hard for anybody who might want to play tyrant", not "the UN prevents anyone acting as a world tyrant". That distinction is important...

I get a kick out of those who view the UN solely through the lens of wars. International cooperation is the overriding principle. Beyond security there is also international law, economic development, social progress, human rights, etc.

The UN lead a campaign which eradicated a smallpox disease which killed half a billion people in the 20th century alone. It is only this month that we have news now that we have nearly eradicated another disease, Rinderpest, or cattle plague, also initiated by an UN body, the Food and Agriculture Organization. The field trials are ending this month, and an announcement is expected for early 2011.

That is international cooperation that works.
 
Cobalt_Kid
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

You're kidding, right?

The UN has acted as it was meant to act exactly twice in history......when it moved against the North Korean invasion of the South in 1950, and when it acted against the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in 1991.

Both times it was behaving as a pawn of the USA. In other words, the ONLY times the UN has acheived anything.........it was really the USA that was acting.

The UN can't stop mass murder in some dusty backwater such as the Sudan. The UN could not stop genocide in Rwanda.........the UN could not stop mass murder in its own safe area of Srebreniza........

Spare me the crap on how the UN prevents anyone acting as a world tyrant.........it is laughable.

It's been a place to play out tensions in words that otherwise might have ended up in bullets or missiles.

And considering how committed Stalin was to being the one calling all the shots in the world even after WW II and his sucessors to a lesser degree I think the UN did a really good job.

Trying to get all the nations of the world to agree on anything is like herding cats, they tend to go whatever way they feel like, giving more power to the UN means a bigger challenge for those potential cat herders out there.
 
Tonington
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

For the record Colpy, Cliffy said "makes it hard for anybody who might want to play tyrant", not "the UN prevents anyone acting as a world tyrant". That distinction is important...

Sorry Cobalt and Cliffy, I mixed you two up!
 

Similar Threads

4
Canada vies for UN Security Council seat
by CBC News | Oct 12th, 2010
52
The ambassador of Canada .
by china | Jul 25th, 2009
3