When reporting on China.

china
By Chen Jia (China Daily)
Updated: 2008-08-16 08:00

Western media should take a more objective view when reporting on China, Wilfried Lemke, special advisor on sport for development and peace to UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon, said yesterday.
"I am very disappointed by some articles and some news about China and the criticism of the Games," he said at a press conference in Beijing.
"For example, I read that the sun never shines in Beijing, but when I look out of my window, there it is."
The Western media should understand that China has a "different first priority" for its population, he said.
"I really hope they understand why the IOC was right to bring the Games to Beijing, because China will definitely be more open afterward."
Khalid Malik, the United Nations' resident coordinator in China, said Beijing and other Olympic host cities had made huge progress ahead of the Games, especially with regard to environmental issues.
"This has truly been a Green Olympics in which development has been achieved with an emphasis on environmental suitability," he said at the press conference.
"It is one of the great legacies of the Games the people of China will reap the benefits for years to come," he said.
Lemke agreed China has developed a lot since winning the right to host the Olympics.
"One only has to see the skyline of Beijing to realize the giant strides the country has made," he said.
Richard Fosbury, president of the World Olympians Association, said at the conference that Olympians are the best ambassadors of goodwill in the world of sports.
"Athletes can act as role models and use their influence to promote sport for development and peace," he said.
Many Chinese athletes have worked with the UN to promote poverty alleviation and HIV/AIDS awareness, he said.
(China Daily 08/16/2008 page3)
Last edited by Kreskin; Aug 21st, 2008 at 07:04 PM..

talloola
I love it that the games are in China, such a fascinating country, I would like to visit
there someday. The people seem so warm and happy, and busy.

The athletes are great, and the discipline they show is impressive.

It does all of the world 'good' to have the games there, and it will do China a great
service as well, and will bring all of us a little closer to one another.

china
talloola
Quote:

I love it that the games are in China, such a fascinating country, I would like to visit

It does all of the world 'good' to have the games there, and it will do China a great

Great post ,talloola

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

LOL, they are probably threatened by the government to perform, and smile!

Kreskin
The country has made giant strides by employing people at slave labor wages, because they can, and not giving a damn about what gets in the way on the way to making money, including the environment. It's a bit of a joke that they had to shut down industries and take cars off the road to see the sun. In a free country you can't just toss millions of people into the streets to build olympic facilities, or tell people when they can drive cars, or shut down business so everyone can see the sun for a couple of weeks. Democratically elected govermnets can't do that because the voting electorate won't stand for it.

Chinese media asking western media to be more objective? When was the last time a Chinese reporter was objective? I suppose Mr Jia is not used to seeing media being critical of anything.

china
Quote:

The country has made giant strides by employing people at slave labor wages, because they can, and not giving a damn about what gets in the way on the way to making money, including the environment. It's a bit of a joke that they had to shut down industries and take cars off the road to see the sun. In a free country you can't just toss millions of people into the streets to build olympic facilities, or tell people when they can drive cars, or shut down business so everyone can see the sun for a couple of weeks. Democratically elected govermnets can't do that because the voting electorate won't stand for it.
Chinese media asking western media to be more objective? When was the last time a Chinese reporter was objective? I suppose Mr Jia is not used to seeing media being critical of anything.

Just a simple objective question ......how do you know ? have you bin here ?
have you experienced the tragedies you describe ?.....if not ,then you are very
ignorant Kreskin .

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by china View Post

Just a simple objective question ......how do you know ? have you bin here ?
have you experienced the tragedies you describe ?.....if not ,then you are very
ignorant Kreskin .

I have a friend who runs a couple of factories over there and they pay the employees about $1.50 a day. They make hardware products for Walmart and Canadian Tire, sold under American sounding brand names. How do you think China has created this big trade imbalance? Because they make better products? Because they get cheaper natural resources? No they make it cheaper because people are taken advantage of. It's called the blinding glimpse of the obvious. You've been listening to idiots like Jia for too long, you're starting to believe them.

china
Quote:

I have a friend who runs a couple of factories over there and they pay the employees about $1.50 a day.

First of all Kreskin ,you are a very uninformed person ; I,m being polite

Second ,if your Canadian buddy is using Chinese citizens as slaves ,your friend should be shot and deported back to Canada .No wonder the relationship between China and Canada is dropping rapidly.hahaha
Last edited by china; Aug 21st, 2008 at 07:59 PM..

Kreskin

Second ,if your Canadian buddy is using Chinese citizens as slaves ,your friends should be shot and deported back to Canada .No wonder the relationship between China and Canada is dropping rapidly.

My buddy does it because your buddies in the dictatorship allow it. Shot? They applaud him for it. If minimum wage was $1.50 a day here there would be slave labor conditions too, but elected governments are generally required by their constituents to provide a reasonable standard of protection for the less fortunate. Walmart did more for those employees than the government. It required him to supply steel toed boots for all staff, which he gladly did. But the employees were so broke they sold them all, and returned to wearing their flip flops around the pouring of molten metals. That's the kind of thing that's happening when you get away from Jia's nonsense, and that slave labor is what is fuelling growth.
Last edited by Kreskin; Aug 21st, 2008 at 08:22 PM..

Risus

Second ,if your Canadian buddy is using Chinese citizens as slaves ,your friend should be shot and deported back to Canada .No wonder the relationship between China and Canada is dropping rapidly.hahaha

Where I used to work, it was cheaper to get the product made in china and flown to Toronto than getting it made here. That shows you the pitiful wages the workers in china are getting. They were also fired for simple errors. I dealt with them for years so don't start your BS

china
RISUS ,Don't start your BS again .

china
Quote:

and returned to wearing their flip flops around the pouring of molten metals.

...pouring of molten metal ?...in Walmart ?

lone wolf

...pouring of molten metal ?...in Walmart ?

Obviously in a factory that produces for Walmart.

china
just throwing a question lone wolf ...obviously.

Why doesn't the Canadian gov stop taking children away from the Natives families
Last edited by china; Aug 21st, 2008 at 09:19 PM..

lone wolf

obviously

Kreskin
The pressure on Walmart to improve worker conditions in China comes from the media and consumer in North America, not the Chinese government or Chinese media.

china
Quote:

The pressure on Walmart to improve worker conditions in China comes from the media and consumer in North America, not the Chinese government or Chinese media.

So what?

Risus

RISUS ,Don't start your BS again .

Wow, what a response. Did I hit a sore spot? I know what I'm talking about with this, I have dealt with 3 factories in China, for over 6 years. You are in denial....
Last edited by Risus; Aug 21st, 2008 at 10:05 PM..Reason: added comment

Risus

Why doesn't the Canadian gov stop taking children away from the Natives families

Um they don't. Where are you dreaming this???

lone wolf

Wrong century.... Lousy edit BTW

Kreskin

So what?

The so what is the so-called call for objectivity in your original post. Ours is pretty objective in comparison. So much so it can change an unscrupulous or dangerous business practise in another country. Objectivity isn't just writing about things the government wants you to read or think.

Socrates the Greek

Hey China,
Creskin's statement was ,

" I have a friend who runs a couple of factories over there and they pay the employees about $1.50 a day.

Your answer to that was,

"if your Canadian buddy is using Chinese citizens as slaves ,your friend should be shot and deported back to Canada".

Now if we follow the sequence of statements made above it clearly shows you are very assumptive before knowing the truth. Kreskin never mentioned what nationality his buddy was, right away your Canadian buddy should be shot or send back,,,,,,,it looks like you are looking for an argument when in fact we are all here to share our thinking. Would it be deferent if Kreskin's buddy was a Chinese business man who happened to immigrate to Canada and used China as his work shop to make millions on the backs of his countrymen?............... If Kreskin's friend was Chinese should he be shot?
Ah ha.......................Exploitation is the game.....which ...unfortunately many are forced to play, while entrepreneurs take advantage of the uneducated common man.....................

talloola

talloola

Great post ,talloola

My post is sincere, in a good way, regarding the Olympic games, BUT after reading following posts, and switching my thoughts away from olympic games to the chinese government,
politics, and human rights, I have a much different opinion, just want to verify that
point.

china
Quote:

My post is sincere, in a good way, regarding the Olympic games,

And I have read it and answered it as such ,talloola .
Quote:

BUT after reading following posts, and switching my thoughts away from olympic games to the chinese government,

politics, and human rights, I have a much different opinion, just want to verify that point.

Point verified , talloola .

china
Quote:

Why doesn't the Canadian gov stop taking children away from the Natives families .

I have placed this post so some will understand that the times are changing .

Risus
Quote:

Um they don't. Where are you dreaming this??

?
They don't ,but they did ,and I am not dreaming .Just as in China people were persecuted for a wrong cause ,it s changing at a tremendously fast pace.Remember one thing ,there are 1.3 billion Chinese and less than 2million party members .Make your own conclusion.

lone wolf
Quote:

Wrong century.... Lousy edit BTW

you can apply this statement to your remarks about China if you know what I mean .
Last edited by china; Aug 22nd, 2008 at 08:05 AM..

china
post it 2x
Last edited by china; Aug 22nd, 2008 at 07:39 AM..Reason: posted 2x

china
Socrates the Greek ,

Quote:

Now if we follow the sequence of statements made above it clearly shows you are very assumptive before knowing the truth. Kreskin never mentioned what nationality his buddy was, right away your Canadian buddy should be shot or send back,,,,,,,it looks like you are looking for an argument when in fact we are all here to share our thinking. Would it be deferent if Kreskin's buddy was a Chinese business man who happened to immigrate to Canada and used China as his work shop to make millions on the backs of his countrymen?............... If Kreskin's friend was Chinese should he be shot?
Ah ha.......................Exploitation is the game.....which ...unfortunately many are forced to play, while entrepreneurs take advantage of the uneducated common man.....................

Thelo nasupokati, what you are saying makes allot of sense.

lone wolf

lone wolf
you can apply this statement to your remarks about China if you know what I mean .

Post thy quote or shut thy mouth. Which remark? Apparently there's at least two of us in this conversation who don't have a clue what you're talking about.

china
Quote:

Post thy quote or shut thy mouth. Which remark? Apparently there's at least two of us in this conversation who don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Use thy brain my dear friend .

lone wolf

Use thy brain my dear friend .

Post the remarks about China....

Shall we see whose brain is in need of a workout?
Last edited by lone wolf; Aug 22nd, 2008 at 07:12 PM..