Would you fly in a 737 Max 8 right now?

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by VIBC View Post

"Hard Landing" - the ultimate euphemism. It has caused everything from crushed vertebrae to physical loss of an engine and more, leading to destruction of the whole aircraft with everyone aboard.
The idea that a controlling computer could randomly reboot is mind boggling.

Sikorsky is honouring their warranty, I sure hope.

Ron in Regina
+3

Wow, M. Garneau finally noticed similarities between the two accidents, only days after everyone else was pointing them out. And now even Trump 'gets it.' Progress I suppose.

I wonder how much of this epiphany comes from the flight attendants not wanting to (or outright refusing to) fly on these planes?

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

I wonder how much of this epiphany comes from the flight attendants not wanting to (or outright refusing to) fly on these planes?

I know one of those.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Or insurance companies saying their on their own if the fly without getting this fixed.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Or insurance companies saying their on their own if the fly without getting this fixed.

... or no other countries ('cept USA) allowing Canadian carriers into their air space?

taxslave

I'm not sure they would have had enough time to process & react before the point of no return: control difficulties at low altitude while multiple alarms are going off in the cockpit. The entire flight only lasted about 6 minutes.

Perhaps. If I understand it all correctly they were taking off with the autopilot on. THis being the case they probably couldn't override it in time to make the necessary corrections, if any were actually required prior to the autopilot making a decision.
Now flying a huge jet is beyond my knowledge but I can get several different float planes up and down and have spent quite a bit of time with automous equipment so I am aware of their limitations despite what the manufacturers tell us.

Mowich
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

The truth is before the grounding, Canadian carriers were running out of places to land in the World. No one wanted them in their airspace. Garneau was almost last to the party. Sunwing beat him to it, for God sake.

Granted.

I was not addressing the timing of the cancellations. My point was simply that Mr Garneau was a wonderful change from every other liberal - most of whom have not a clue how to answer a question on their own and when put on the spot simply pull out the newspeak.

VIBC
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Granted.

I was not addressing the timing of the cancellations. My point was simply that Mr Garneau was a wonderful change from every other liberal - most of whom have not a clue how to answer a question on their own and when put on the spot simply pull out the newspeak.

It's a screaming shame that someone can always turn a serious issue into a platform for party political propaganda.

VIBC

It's a screaming shame that someone can always turn a serious issue into a platform for party political propaganda.

I believe Mr Garneau was wrong in his earlier decision regardless of any political affiliation. It's a public safety issue; whether you're a conservative, liberal, communist or a save-the-whales-for-Jesus activist it's a PUBLIC SAFETY issue.

darkbeaver
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

If I'm not driving why do I need to be insured.

In fact even if I don't have a license why can't a ride in a self driving car.

Because you,re to stupid to press the right buttons.

Curious Cdn

Granted.

Garneau has been on top of a powerful rocket of a type that had killed people and should therefore be extra-sensitive to aircraft safety issues.

VIBC
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

If I understand it all correctly they were taking off with the autopilot on.

I don't think that would be relevant (see my previous post and quote.) The anti-stall software would kick in regardless. As I read it that could only be disarmed by killing its electrical supply via 2 switches low on the RH side of the control panel, once you determined it was causing the problem.

edit (previous quote): This nose-down command can last upwards of ten seconds, Boeing says, and can repeat at five-second intervals, whether in manual flight or with the autopilot engaged. If and when this happens, the stabilizer trim itself gives no indication that it’s moving. All the crew knows is that the plane is nosing over.
Last edited by VIBC; Mar 13th, 2019 at 09:38 PM..

VIBC

Garneau has been on top of a powerful rocket of a type that had killed people and should therefore be extra-sensitive to aircraft safety issues.

Or lacks all such sensitivity.

Curious Cdn

Or lacks all such sensitivity.

I'd think that sitting on top of a mountain of explosives would permanently put the fear of God into you.

VIBC
QUOTE=Curious Cdn;2705979]I'd think that sitting on top of a mountain of explosives would permanently put the fear of God into you.[/QUOTE]

So would I but Marc Garneau seems to be immune; fearless on everyone else's behalf.

Kreskin
Comic relief - my takeoff from LAX tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0OfUL3eWqE

VIBC
OK I'm not a pilot or an aeronautical engineer, but here's what I think I get from reading online: The stall-avoidance software is needed on the Max 8 & 9 aircraft because in climbing to altitude they are liable to push the nose too high without pilot (or autopilot) input, potentially resulting in a stall. This did not happen on previous 737s. It arises from the fact that the Max series have different engines mounted differently.

So there's - what? - a new weight distribution or thrust angle that pushes the nose too high in some conditions? Wouldn't we call that a design error, and the new software a clumsy workaround?

Curious Cdn
+2
More bad news for Boeing from their very biggest and most loyal customer:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/us- ... li=AAggNb9

Frankly, after Boeing maneuvered on Trump's behalf by slapping a 250% tariff on Bombardier aircraft as part of Trump's "art of the deal schtick" at the beginning of his farcical non-renegotiation of NAFTA, I'd be happy to see Boeing go under and they might just because it will take months and months for the Transport Safety people to figure out exactly what happened while there are hundreds of 737 Max out there that can't even move.

The law suits alone ...

... in the United States alone ...

I think that the appropriate Karmic end to this would be Bombardier buying up some of Boeing's bleaching bones 10 on .the dollar.

taxslave

More bad news for Boeing from their very biggest and most loyal customer:
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/us- ... li=AAggNb9
Frankly, after Boeing maneuvered on Trump's behalf by slapping a 250% tariff on Bombardier aircraft as part of Trump's "art of the deal schtick" at the beginning of his farcical non-renegotiation of NAFTA, I'd be happy to see Boeing go under and they might just because it will take months and months for the Transport Safety people to figure out exactly what happened while there are hundreds of 737 Max out there that can't even move.
The law suits alone ...
... in the United States alone ...
I think that the appropriate Karmic end to this would be Bombardier buying up some of Boeing's bleaching bones 10 on .the dollar.

Unfortunately the only way bombardier can buy anything is with Canadian taxpayer $$$$$.

Curious Cdn
+1

Unfortunately the only way bombardier can buy anything is with Canadian taxpayer $$$$$.

They have a bigger partner in Europe, now.

darkbeaver
+1
It,s a tiny problem, I,m sure Boeing will correct, before they run out of customers. Flight tests with real passengers is the way to go, obviously.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

It,s a tiny problem, I,m sure Boeing will correct, before they run out of customers. Flight tests with real passengers is the way to go, obviously.

They'll just certify themselves, like they did the last time around. The FAA doesn't have a budget to do that sort of thing, anymore. Besides, the private sector is so good at self-regulation and why not? What do they have to lose?

Mowich
Personally, I don't fly at all anymore. If I can't get there by car/truck or boat, I don't need to go that badly. Years of watching Mayday have convinced me that under the best conditions in a fully functional plane with a certified crew things can still go wrong the most terrifying of which being when one of the certified crew members decides to commit suicide. Thus, my answer to the topic question is a decided NO.

taxslave

They have a bigger partner in Europe, now.

Also run on taxpayer $$$$$

taxslave
+1

Personally, I don't fly at all anymore. If I can't get there by car/truck or boat, I don't need to go that badly. Years of watching Mayday have convinced me that under the best conditions in a fully functional plane with a certified crew things can still go wrong the most terrifying of which being when one of the certified crew members decides to commit suicide. Thus, my answer to the topic question is a decided NO.

Better stay off the highways too because there are self driving cars out there. Also people with forged licenses that dont speak English.

Hoid

Better stay off the highways too because there are self driving cars out there. Also people with forged licenses that dont speak English.

you have a forged license?

Curious Cdn
+1

I'm creeped out by that Imp crawling along on the wing, ripping up pieces of the airplane's skin every time I fly.

Kreskin
+1
I haven't been the same since a 1988 flight into a thunderstorm in Edmonton. I thought we were going down, and the way the pilot apologized after landing I'm convinced he thought so too. The person who picked us up said the weather was similar to the conditions of the Edmonton tornado. Rain bounced a a few feet off the tarmac. I flew back, but didn't fly for years. My next was in 1998 and I took massive amounts of drugs to get on. It was a charter flight, and the Captain allowed passengers to visit the cockpit, which I did, but I couldn't help but think how crazy that was.

Mowich
+1

Not too worry, ts..........where I live traffic is not a problem. When I do get to town, I park and walk especially in the summer when all the tourists flood the roads.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

you have a forged license?

Yeah no doubt eh? Mine was only cast.