Wearing Helmets

JLM
After the death of Natasha Richardson due to a fall while skiing, how do we convince young people to wear helmets in all situations where there is a danger of head injury? How do we convince them that "being cool" is in fact "being stupid"? My grandkids don't seem to have a problem with it and yet some kids do.

L Gilbert
And wearing gloves and masks to protect from communicable diseases, and pillows to prevent injuries from tripping, and ........

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

And wearing gloves and masks to protect from communicable diseases, and pillows to prevent injuries from tripping, and ........

I guess the more the better, eh? All the health workers and dentists wear the gloves and masks, I used to think it was all unnecessary, but who knows maybe one life was saved.

L Gilbert
I wonder if we all wandered about looking like doctors, that dosctors would start wandering around looking like normal people.

grumpydigger
Safety skiing is very important, but there is probably more head injures in showers and bath tubs each year......The problem with helmets is the shampoo....

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by grumpydigger View Post

Safety skiing is very important, but there is probably more head injures in showers and bath tubs each year......The problem with helmets is the shampoo....

Could make a harness that kept people from bashing body parts against walls: hands could be free to scrub noggins.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

After the death of Natasha Richardson due to a fall while skiing, how do we convince young people to wear helmets in all situations where there is a danger of head injury? How do we convince them that "being cool" is in fact "being stupid"? My grandkids don't seem to have a problem with it and yet some kids do.

Perhaps making it mandatory for everyone to have to wear helmets at any public skiing(or even private if payment is given) establishment would help? Of course, enforcing it would be difficult. For example, look at the helmet law for bicycles. Even though kids are legally required to wear helmets, you see them riding around all the time without them.

I read an article which stated that Natasha's sister attempted to get into the hospital to see her(I believe the day she passed away) and the media swarmed all over her. That sickens me. There is a time and a place for media, and that is NOT one of them. Disgusting.

L Gilbert
Yep. Media types definitely lack in the discretion dept.
I think it should depend upon the likelihood of sustaining injury. Otherwise, where do we stop at imposing protective measurements? I think wearing one while skiing is a good idea, but how many head injuries have occured to people while skiing? As many as motorcycle accidents? Or hockey accidents? Skateboarding?

shadowshiv

Yep. Media types definitely lack in the discretion dept.
I think it should depend upon the likelihood of sustaining injury. Otherwise, where do we stop at imposing protective measurements? I think wearing one while skiing is a good idea, but how many head injuries have occured to people while skiing? As many as motorcycle accidents? Or hockey accidents? Skateboarding?

It is already mandatory to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle. Skateboarding? That one is iffy. Perhaps if it was in a professional format(such as the ones that Tony Hawk competes in) they could wear them, but I don't think you would ever get a skateboarder to wear a helmet.

If the hockey is played in a publicly owned rink, then perhaps they should have to wear helmets. If it is just a rink on a pond, then it should be up to the owner of the property.

Lots of grey areas in this, and there are no absolute answers.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

Perhaps making it mandatory for everyone to have to wear helmets at any public skiing(or even private if payment is given) establishment would help? Of course, enforcing it would be difficult. For example, look at the helmet law for bicycles. Even though kids are legally required to wear helmets, you see them riding around all the time without them.

I read an article which stated that Natasha's sister attempted to get into the hospital to see her(I believe the day she passed away) and the media swarmed all over her. That sickens me. There is a time and a place for media, and that is NOT one of them. Disgusting.

I don't think it would be hard to enforce. The ski operator checks for a tag, if there is no helmet, too bad, you can't ski.

Yes, if the media smells blood, trouble, etc etc, they are all over it like flies on crap. I agree, its disgusting.

Hazmart
When I was skiing in Fernie earlier this year a lot of the younger kids were wearing helmets. In fact I even made a comment to my hubby that I was surprised to see that.
Most of them were snowboarders though. I wonder if it is less expected for skiiers to wear a helmet than the boarders.

Risus

It is already mandatory to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle. Skateboarding? That one is iffy. Perhaps if it was in a professional format(such as the ones that Tony Hawk competes in) they could wear them, but I don't think you would ever get a skateboarder to wear a helmet.

If the hockey is played in a publicly owned rink, then perhaps they should have to wear helmets. If it is just a rink on a pond, then it should be up to the owner of the property.

Lots of grey areas in this, and there are no absolute answers.

Its manditory for skateboarders to wear helmets in competition. It least the ones I have seen.

Twila
I think it wearing a helmet for minors should be manditory. I think as an adult it should be optional.

Thin the herd.

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by grumpydigger View Post

Don't you wear your elbow & knee pads and helmet in the
shower too? I'm just kid'n....

Isn't this just one of those freak accidents that just happened
to happen to someone famous? I don't know enough to even
form an opinion yet, but could we all be over-reacting?

Sometimes (pretty rarely) people get hit by lightning, but we
don't legislate in that everyone has to cart around a grounded
and insulated lightning rod. Is this fall by Natasha Richardson
the type of injury that would fall into that category?

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

Its manditory for skateboarders to wear helmets in competition. It least the ones I have seen.

Thank you Risus. I wasn't sure as I have never watched too many skateboard competitions.

Socrates the Greek
It is unfortunate that defiance and vanity caused Richardson ’s life

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Don't you wear your elbow & knee pads and helmet in the
shower too? I'm just kid'n....

Isn't this just one of those freak accidents that just happened
to happen to someone famous? I don't know enough to even
form an opinion yet, but could we all be over-reacting?

Sometimes (pretty rarely) people get hit by lightning, but we
don't legislate in that everyone has to cart around a grounded
and insulated lightning rod. Is this fall by Natasha Richardson
the type of injury that would fall into that category?

This is not to be taken for fact, but apparently it was suggested to her to get checked out immediately after she fell. She said she was fine, and just wanted to go to her room. Later, she complained of a massive migraine and that is when it spiralled out of control. Who knows what would have happened if she had gone to get medical attention right away?

L Gilbert
Perhaps it should be up to the individual if they want to wear one or not, but I think if one chooses not to, they should sign a waiver that they are totally responsible for medical procedures and are responsible to their loved ones and to the public. We all know that gov'ts tend to nanny and sometimes cause as many problems as they solve by making some laws governing issues.

shadowshiv

Perhaps it should be up to the individual if they want to wear one or not, but I think if one chooses not to, they should sign a waiver that they are totally responsible for medical procedures and are responsible to their loved ones and to the public. We all know that gov'ts tend to nanny and sometimes cause as many problems as they solve by making some laws governing issues.

That could be a way they would go. They have started billing people that have to be rescued if they are lost/injured/in danger due to ignoring warning signs and going wherever they pleased. Perhaps something like that may factor in whether or not a person will wear a helmet. All kids should have to wear helmets while skiing, though. No exceptions.

L Gilbert
I agree about kids. They haven't got a full capacity for understanding responsibilities and consequences at times.

shadowshiv

I agree about kids. They haven't got a full capacity for understanding responsibilities and consequences at times.

Yep. A good measuring stick for this is the amount of trees that are climbed. I recall climbing quite a few when I was a kid.

Only fell out of a couple of them.

Niflmir
I think everyone should wander around with surgical masks on. That way the spread of communicable diseases is minimized.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by Niflmir View Post

I think everyone should wander around with surgical masks on. That way the spread of communicable diseases is minimized.

It worked for Michael Jackson, so why not?

Niflmir

Because people look at me funny. QQ

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by Niflmir View Post

Because people look at me funny. QQ

What if you drew a face (Nose & Lips) on the mask? You
could have different expressions for the different moods that
you're in. You could start a trend Niflmir.

#juan
With all due respect to Natasha Richardson, I wonder if a helmet would have done her any good. I have skied for most of my life and I have taken some nasty bumps without a helmet. I'm not as aggressive as I used to be but the thought of falling is not something I worry about. What I do worry about is braking a leg, because it lays you up for a long time and deprives you of needed exercise.

JLM

Yep, and I think his pajamas helped him out a bit too.........

Unforgiven
I've skied for years on some world class mountains out West. Never hurt anything more than my pride. Some things have a risk factor to them. That's sometimes part of the appeal. Falling down is a big part of skiing and that's just the way it is. Millions of falls on mountains result in nothing more than hopefully a learning opportunity. But once in a while, someone dies from it. Sadly that's life.

Some people get hit by a bus, some don't.

It's sad that this lady died from hitting her head while falling on a ski trip. But she like the rest of us, owes one death. There is no way around it and each will face that sooner or later. Who here can pick the time and way in which they will die?

Helmets won't do anything to prevent people from dieing when their number comes up. You can just as easily break your neck. Have a heart attack or stroke or simply face plant into the base of a tree.

Perhaps a better way of approaching life is to go out and have fun and should your number come up as it surely will some day, at least you've had a good time and lived a full life unafraid and happy.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

I've skied for years on some world class mountains out West. Never hurt anything more than my pride. Some things have a risk factor to them. That's sometimes part of the appeal. Falling down is a big part of skiing and that's just the way it is. Millions of falls on mountains result in nothing more than hopefully a learning opportunity. But once in a while, someone dies from it. Sadly that's life.

Some people get hit by a bus, some don't.

It's sad that this lady died from hitting her head while falling on a ski trip. But she like the rest of us, owes one death. There is no way around it and each will face that sooner or later. Who here can pick the time and way in which they will die?

Helmets won't do anything to prevent people from dieing when their number comes up. You can just as easily break your neck. Have a heart attack or stroke or simply face plant into the base of a tree.

Perhaps a better way of approaching life is to go out and have fun and should your number come up as it surely will some day, at least you've had a good time and lived a full life unafraid and happy.

It sounds like from what you say, it would be wise to wear the helmet.

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

It sounds like from what you say, it would be wise to wear the helmet.

In many circumstances it is wise to wear a helmet. I feel it's a personal choice in most things. Don't you think so?