Shortage of doctors

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
(I wasn't sure if this should be here or in the science forum as it is to do with medicine but is also a political issue)
Initially the idea was that Canada trains people from underdeveloped countries to become doctors so they can go home and help their people. The past few years, this has become a rarity, though, as most international residencies are for people from Saudi Arabia and other rich nations. And to make the matter worse, in BC alone there are 100 residency places for these "visa doctors" and only 18 places for homegrown people. So the reason for the lack of doctors here is not that there aren't enough people that want to become doctors, it is because they can't. And to make matters worse, the people from overseas that want to become Canadian doctors are not allowed to and end up with jobs like short-order cooking, driving taxis, and the like.

grainfedpraiboy
There are still plenty of desperately needed doctors in Haiti or other third world countries we haven't poached yet. If things get serious we'll step up our efforts and bring em here.

ironsides
No Party Affiliation
Just like in the U.S. the American Medical Association controls how many are admitted to medical schools and how many actually get jobs here. I'm not sure you would want doctors who graduated in 3rd world country universities. Places like Russia and China are also questionable,

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

Just like in the U.S. the American Medical Association controls how many are admitted to medical schools and how many actually get jobs here. I'm not sure you would want doctors who graduated in 3rd world country universities. Places like Russia and China are also questionable,

Why? Maybe needles and nerve centre stuff is better than pumping folks full of chemistry. Remember ... medicine isn't all that far removed from witch-doctory in North America either.

ironsides
No Party Affiliation
I would still prefer a doctor from North America if given a choice. I do not put much faith in holistic medicine for serious illness. Wonder what they will say about us 100 years from now.

tracy
18 residency spots? In BC? I can't imagine that's accurate. Residencies are available in all specialties. Even if only one student went into each specialty there would be a lot more than that.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
It's about 120 in BC, Tracy. The problem is that about 100 are taken up by visa doctors. That leaves the remainder for BC people. If these people from rich nations like Saudi Arabia would stay at home to learn, we could train the people from underdeveloped countries as well as our own. It was on the show "Currents" on Global yesterday.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

It's about 120 in BC, Tracy. The problem is that about 100 are taken up by visa doctors. That leaves the remainder for BC people. If these people from rich nations like Saudi Arabia would stay at home to learn, we could train the people from underdeveloped countries as well as our own. It was on the show "Currents" on Global yesterday.

I don't know about the numbers. I do know that we should be grateful to Ontario for accepting people from all provinces. I know that I have two family members that without Ontario, would not be doctors. It isn't a simple matter of just applying to get into med school here in BC. My nephew tried hard and he was a UBC student with very high marks. He knew in advance that his chances of getting in were slim to none. Now Les you could be very right in your numbers because apparently (so says the grapevine) those spaces (20 you say) are reserved for the "children" of doctors. That leaves really none for BC. My niece started in Ontario too but she didn't start out to be a doctor but she was in the medical field. After making the decision to be a doctor after all, she was accepted by Ottawa on first application. Nothing here at home. Residency is another matter. It's not so easy either. When they are ready for residency, they must make applications all over Canada (where there are university hospitals) and then if the hospital is interested in them, they call them for an interview so they must fly to that (more expenses). I'm not sure if all I am about to say next is completely correct but as I recall, the next thing is somewhat like a lottery. If the hospital says yes (and more than one could say yes), then the resident's name is matched up with the hospitals that have agreed to them as a choice, then they are computer matched as to best choice of resident to hospital. Then they live for the next 5 years at least, in the city where they have been accepted. SirJoe can probably fill you in here as his son is in med school. It seems like it would be a whole lot less expensive if they could just go to the medical school in their home province and then do their residency in their home province. While the money is probably good from foreign students, obviously not good enough (or maybe too good) since there isn't enough room to train doctors for Canada. It should be Canadians first since this is the homeland of Canadians and if there is room - foreign students next. If this was the case, we would not have a shortage of doctors. I guess what they need to do is train some people to go to other countries and teach them in their homeland. Are we not in Afghanistan to teach them how to look after their own country? Have we not been in other countries to teach them how to train their police, to fly some planes etc. etc.
Last edited by VanIsle; Mar 16th, 2009 at 12:39 AM..

tracy
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Unfortunately rich and able to train medical professionals are two different things. Saudi Arabia also imports nurses because they can't train them./

AMA
To clarify the prior post, the number of medical students admitted to medical school in the U.S. is determined by individual medical schools accepting applicants based on a range of criteria . The American Medical Association unites physicians nationwide to work on the most important professional and public health issues. Working together, the AMA's quarter of a million physician and medical student members are playing an active role in shaping the future of medicine. For more information on the AMA, please visit www.ama-assn.org .

TenPenny
And in Canada, the provinces decide how many spaces they'll fund each year.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Islandpacific View Post

............While the money is probably good from foreign students, obviously not good enough (or maybe too good) since there isn't enough room to train doctors for Canada. It should be Canadians first since this is the homeland of Canadians and if there is room - foreign students next. If this was the case, we would not have a shortage of doctors. I guess what they need to do is train some people to go to other countries and teach them in their homeland. Are we not in Afghanistan to teach them how to look after their own country? Have we not been in other countries to teach them how to train their police, to fly some planes etc. etc.

I think that is probably the best idea I've heard yet.
Quote: Originally Posted by tracy

Unfortunately rich and able to train medical professionals are two different things. Saudi Arabia also imports nurses because they can't train them./

Quite right but if they are rich they can request and pay for doctors to come and train their doctors in their facilities. Poor nations can't. So the people from rich countries are not only ssqueezing the Canadians out they are squeezing out the poorer nations students. Canadian politicians haven't the brains to solve the problem, I guess. And that's pretty sad.