Does Canada need Civil-War to fix out its problems

View Poll Results: Does Canada need Civil-war?
Yes 3 16.67%
No, your crazy 12 66.67%
A dabble of everything 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

DasFX
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

Quote: Originally Posted by DasFX

Do you really think the US civil war brought the two sides together? Internally there are still great divisions in the US between North and South.

The "divisions" are religious and to a lesser degree social in nature, both North and South refer to themselves as Americans, there are no issues of indentity involved or drawing lines of us and them. Quebeckers (those who wish to separate) don't even call themselves Canadians or want to have anything to do with Canada, vastly different in nature.

You are comparing the America today, 140 years removed from the conflict with Canada of today when our comflict is at its height.

Immediately after the war in 1865, love and harmony wasn't the case. Many Confederates did not call themselves Americans and did not want anything to do with the Northern States.

If you travel a lot down in the Confederate States, you will still see divisions, although minor now what with internal migration and a shifted focus on external enemies.

DasFX
If anything, Canada needs someone else to invade or have a war with us. That would elicit the greatest increase in nationalism.

I think not

Do you really think the US civil war brought the two sides together? Internally there are still great divisions in the US between North and South.

Quote: Originally Posted by i think not

The "divisions" are religious and to a lesser degree social in nature, both North and South refer to themselves as Americans, there are no issues of indentity involved or drawing lines of us and them. Quebeckers (those who wish to separate) don't even call themselves Canadians or want to have anything to do with Canada, vastly different in nature.

You are comparing the America today, 140 years removed from the conflict with Canada of today when our comflict is at its height.

Immediately after the war in 1865, love and harmony wasn't the case. Many Confederates did not call themselves Americans and did not want anything to do with the Northern States.

If you travel a lot down in the Confederate States, you will still see divisions, although minor now what with internal migration and a shifted focus on external enemies.

Uhm no, you made the claim of comparing Quebec with present day "great divisions", I simply corrected you. And I'll do it again, I travel a great deal all over the US, have been to all the states, the "great divisions" are religious in nature as I said.

Of course immediately AFTER the war there was animosity, however, nothing like that exists today, not even close and to suggest such a thing shows very little understanding of how Americans think of the "North and South". It wasn't a war of division (although thats what sparked it), it was a war of unification. Now there are people in the South that look upon us in the North and wonder about our "lifestyle" but never misinterpret that meaning "us and them". We're all Americans, I can't make it any clearer for you than that.

Jersay
Quote:

Jersay

What "riot" are you talking about - do you mean the last terrorist attack on the people in Paris? That wasn't a government overthrow that was gang warfare to "terrorize" the people in a large city.

The Islamic fanatics residing in France were part of a resistance movement because France has been getting tough on all the new laws the French government is denying them. They aren't getting their way. Nor are they in Australia or Spain and the governments are standing firm they are going to live according to the laws of the host country.

Where are you getting these ideas from? I hope not from your "teachers". I wonder if you are really in a school that puts out this stuff.

So a marginalized people, in this case the muslim people youth of France is a terrorist gang that just started a revolt to because of of Al Qaida and terrorism. Don't be rediculous, it was because the French government and the French people marginalized these people, but them in the low-end jobs that they wanted to do and harassed them through language, through jobs and through the police.

And in Australia, the violence started because of some f-ing racist white shit-bags started messing with Muslim men and women from Lebanese descendent. Has nothing to do with terrorism.

The kids who started the riots in France were not fanatics at all. If they were, you would have seen a ton of more violence, and you would have had European Terrorist groups, mainly Muslim helping them.

Jay
"f-ing racist white shit-bags"

I didn't know we were supposed to refer to people like that. I will have to keep it in mind....

Jersay
Quote:

I didn't know we were supposed to refer to people like that. I will have to keep it in mind....

The ones who started the violence in Australia should be classified as that.

Doryman
And in Australia, the violence started because of some f-ing racist white shit-bags started messing with Muslim men and women from Lebanese descendent. Has nothing to do with terrorism.

Well, to be fair. There was a lot of violence on both sides, Jersay. Members of a lebanese Gang did stab and kill two caucasian life-guards who told them to settle down. The blame can be laid on BOTH racist skin-heads and irresponsible, violent lebanese youths. Not just one or the other.

The kids who started the riots in France were not fanatics at all. If they were, you would have seen a ton of more violence, and you would have had European Terrorist groups, mainly Muslim helping them.

I agree there. The French riots were more an explosion of racial tensions. More like the Rodney King riots in LA than an organized terrorist attack.