Legislative career of Rep. Paul Ryan vs. legislative career of Sen. Barack Obama

Icarus27k
+5
#1  Top Rated Post
I've been searching the Library of Congress' THOMAS server all day, doing my homework on the career of Rep. Paul Ryan, the Republican Vice Presidential candidate. Ryan has been a member of the House of Representatives for 13 and a half years. He first became a Representative in Jan. 1999. Obama was a member of the Senate 3 years and 7 months (Jan. 2005-Nov. 2008 ).

Some interesting things: Ryan has only passed two pieces of legislation into law. By pieces of legislation what I mean is, he sponsored either a bill or an amendment. Ryan's stuff:

1. H.R. 4241 "To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1818 Milton Avenue in Janesville, Wisconsin, as the 'Les Aspin Post Office Building'." passed the House on 6/6/2000, and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on 7/6/2000.

2. H.R. 5394 "To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to modify the taxation of arrow components." passed by the House on 12/4/2004 and signed into law by President George W. Bush on12/23/2004 (Arrows, as in bowhunting. This bill was supported by the archery trade association.)

What is the same metric when applied to Obama?

1. S. 2125 Democratic Republic of the Congo Relief, Security, and Democracy Promotion Act of 2006, passed by the Senate 6/29/2006 and signed by Bush on 12/22/2006.

2. S. AMDT. 390 "To provide meal and telephone benefits for members of the Armed Forces who are recuperating from injuries incurred on active duty in Operation Iraqi Freedom or Operation Enduring Freedom." became part of H.R. 1268 on 4/14/2005 which was then signed by Bush on 5/11/2005

3. S.AMDT. 808 "To establish a program to develop Fischer-Tropsch transportation fuels from Illinois basin coal." became part of H.R. 6 on 6/23/2005 which then signed by Bush on 8/4/2005.

4. S. AMDT. 851 "To require the Secretary to establish a Joint Flexible Fuel/Hybrid Vehicle Commercialization Initiative, and for other purposes." became part of H.R. 6 on 6/23/2005 which was then signed by Bush on 8/4/2005.

5. S. AMDT. 1061 "To provide that none of the funds made available in this Act may be used in contravention of 15 U.S.C. section 2682(c)(3) or to delay the implementation of that section." became part of H.R. 2361 on 6/28/2005 which was then signed on 7/29/2005. (This is an amendment to the annual appropriations bill funding the Department of the Interior)

6. S. AMDT. 1264 "To support a United States contribution to the Special Court for Sierra Leone." which became part of H.R. 3057 on 7/19/2005 which was signed 11/10/2005.

7. S. AMDT. 2301 "To increase funds to the Thurgood Marshall Legal Educational Opportunity Program and to the Office of Special Education Programs of the Department of Education for the purposes of expanding positive behavioral interventions and supports." which became part of H.R. 3010 on 10/27/2005 which was signed 12/30/2005.

8. S. 906 Mercury Export Ban Act of 2008 passed by the Senate 9/26/2008 and signed by Bush on 10/14/2008.

9. S. AMDT. 41 "To require lobbyists to disclose the candidates, leadership PACs, or political parties for whom they collect or arrange contributions, and the aggregate amount of the contributions collected or arranged." became part of S. 1 on 1/18/2007 which was signed 9/4/2007.

Walter
What's yer point? The Bamster likes to make laws to spend other people's money?

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+5
Ryan voted for TARP and bailouts for Wall Street, GM, and Chrysler. All this while pretending to be one who pledges to make cutbacks. Yeah, he'll make cutbacks but only if they are programs that help the poor. He won't do that for those which help the wealthy.

Goober
Free Thinker
+5
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Not much of a come back Walter.

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2

Walter conveniently forgot that it was his fellow Republicans who ended Clinton's surplus and said "deficits don't matter".

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
+2

The point is you r selective memory. Remember this little article from a few threads ago? It points out that spending under Obama is lower than any other president since 1982.

Obama Spending Is Less Than Every President Since At Least 1982 ‹ I Acknowledge Class Warfare Exists

TenPenny
+1
It's funny how some claimed that Obama wasn't qualified to be President, yet, he did a lot more legislative work than the one they claim as the future saviour.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

The point is you r selective memory. Remember this little article from a few threads ago? It points out that spending under Obama is lower than any other president since 1982.

Obama Spending Is Less Than Every President Since At Least 1982 ‹ I Acknowledge Class Warfare Exists

And you believe that and I don't.

As I thought, the OP is full of shi t. I see Ryan having sponsored 75 bills in his tenure, many of which were introduced to reduce guvmint spending and reach.
Search Bills in Congress - GovTrack.us

Highball
+2
Ryan reached this point because he knows what he is doing. Biden reached this point because he was good at inserting his foot in his mouth and no one called him on it! But the American people don't want to hear about sacrifice, they want another free handout. 37% of this nation is participating in in the "Free Handout" plan in in a state of "Handout Euphoria". "They would rather sink that be asked to go to work and have to produce a tangible product for the consumers.In some areas we are now working with the fifth generation of Welfare collectors who now think this is their entitlement for life.

Liberalman
Free Thinker
Paul Ryan is a true Republican and he will offer stability for Mitt Romney who looks like he has the beginning stages of Alzheimer. And Paul will be able to take over when Mitt becomes incapacitated to carry on the vision of Mitt Romney and make America a world leader again.

Icarus27k
+2

And you believe that and I don't.

As I thought, the OP is full of shi t. I see Ryan having sponsored 75 bills in his tenure, many of which were introduced to reduce guvmint spending and reach.
Search Bills in Congress - GovTrack.us

What you're saying is actually what is full of shi t. Sponsored doesn't mean the same thing as getting a law passed.

In 13 and a half years, the only 2 bills Ryan got into law was renaming a post office and changing a federal tax on arrows.

eh1eh

Wow. Never heard of a politician do that before Obama. (duh)

Icarus27k
+2
Joe Biden was in the Senate from 1973 to 2008, so going over his entire career would take a long time.

So what I did was just check the laws Biden passed in the 106th Congress (1999-2001), which was the Congress that Ryan was a freshman in. The laws Biden passed in that Congress alone were:

1. S. 574 "A bill to direct the Secretary of the Interior to make corrections to a map relating to the Coastal Barrier Resources System." Passed Senate 4/22/1999 and signed into law 12/6/1999.

2. S. 1849 White Clay Creek Wild and Scenic Rivers System Act. Passed Senate 4/13/2000 and signed into law 10/24/2000.

3. S. AMDT. "To provide $3,000,000 (in PE 62234N) for the Navy for basic research on advanced composite material processing (specifically, resin transfer molding, vacuum-assisted resin transfer molding, and co-infusion resin transfer molding), and to provide an offset." Became part of S. 1059 on 5/27/1999 which was then signed into law 10/5/1999.

Goober
Free Thinker
Paul Ryan ‘actually the worst’ Obama campaign says as president slams Romney’s VP candidate for blocking drought relief | News | National Post

U.S. President Barack Obama announced $170 million in disaster relief for drought-devastated Iowa Monday, while using the campaign trail to attack Republican vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan for blocking aid to farmers.

Obama said Ryan, the Wisconsin congressman added to Mitt Romney’s ticket on Saturday, was “one of those leaders of Congress standing in the way of the Farm Bill.”

The 2012 bill, which includes provision for disaster aid, has been blocked in the Republican-controlled House of Representatives.

“So if you happen to see congressman Ryan, tell him how important this farm bill is to Iowa and our rural communities,” Obama said in remarks to be delivered in Iowa, a swing state that recent polls show Romney to be nudging ahead of the incumbent president.

“It’s time to put politics aside and pass it right away.”

Ryan, one of the more fiscally conservative Republicans in the House, has demanded large cuts to Farm Bill spending, including food stamps.

I guess he thinks the poor should eat cake..............

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
There is too distinct visions that are duking it out here, and one will begin the end
of polarized politics. People are getting tired of this nonsense.
We have the Republicans who don't want to pay taxes or very little that is what they
have the middle class for. Republicans are about going back to a simpler time when
everything was neatly in its place. Especially the poor and middle class and those
who object to being governed by Mr Sharpe and his gang.
Obama on the other hand, is a man who is at least looking to the future and where
America needs to be to compete down the road.
All the cheap running shoes in the world are of no importance when you can't afford
to buy them.
No Obama is not perfect, but he is a far better choice than the alternative.
Ryan for Vice President was not the best decision Romney made.
The Democrats are doing a much better job of packaging the Republicans than the
Republicans are doing.