Postmedia News
More from Postmedia News
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
July 31, 2018
Updated:
July 31, 2018 7:54 PM EDT
NDP House Leader Gilles Bisson attends Question Period at Queen's Park, in Toronto on Tuesday, July 31, 2018. The PC Government has refused to answer questions from the official opposition after having accused Bisson of mocking the accent of PC MPP Kaleed Rasheed.Chris Young / THE CANADIAN PRESS
NDP House Leader Gilles Bisson denied accusations Tuesday that he made a racist comment mocking Progressive Conservative MPP Kaleed Rasheed.
During contentious debate in the Legislature over the government’s plan to cut Toronto council in half, Premier Doug Ford and several Conservative MPPs said they heard Bisson mock Rasheed’s accent when the Pakistani-born politician was speaking.
The remainder of Question Period then descended into chaos as PC house leader Todd Smith said the government would refuse to answer any questions from the NDP Opposition until Bisson apologized for his remark.
Smith also took aim at NDP leader Andrea Horwath, who suggested she didn’t hear any derogatory remark from Bisson.
“We’ve seen this over and over again with the NDP,” Smith told reporters later. “She refuses to hold anybody in her party accountable for their actions.”
Smith was hearkening back to the election and the Horwath’s reluctance to respond to concerning public comments and actions of her candidates, including one who referred to Toronto police chief Mark Saunders as a “coon,” a photo of a star NDP candidate carrying an “F— the police” sign at a protest, the NDP leader’s defence of a candidate who posted a Hitler meme and another who suggested Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan were guilty of “war crimes.”
Rasheed, who was asking a question at the time Bisson heckled, said he didn’t hear the remark. Neither did Speaker Ted Arnott and whatever remark Bisson did make was inaudible on video of the House’s proceedings.
PC MPP Kaleed Rasheed, left, sits in the chamber at Queen’s Park in Toronto during Question Period on Tuesday, July 31, 2018. The PC Government accused NDP House Leader Gilles Bisson of mocking Rasheed’s accent.
However, PC Finance Minister Vic Fedeli told reporters he “absolutely and without hesitation” heard Bisson make a mocking remark in the Legislature.
Ford also heard the remark and called it “disgusting” and “racist.”
Horwath responded by suggesting Ford “lies through his teeth.”
“You don’t apologize for something that you haven’t done,” Horwath said. “The premier is the one that needs to apologize.”
Bisson, meanwhile, flatly rejected having mocked Rasheed.
“I know who I am,” Bisson said. “Nobody in my family, my group of friends or my colleagues would ever hear me say words like that.”
“I am a person who never uses that language and to be accused is wrong and it’s only Ford trying to change the channel,” he said.
NDP Leader Andrea Horwath gestures towards NDP House Leader Gilles Bisson, left, as they scrum with journalists at Queen’s Park, in Toronto on Tuesday, July 31, 2018. The PC Government accused Bisson of mocking the accent of PC MPP Kaleed Rasheed.
The incident led all parties to condemn what they called the toxic tone of the legislature while blaming their opponents for the lapse in decorum.
“It’s a very toxic environment in there,” said Tory House Leader Todd Smith. “I understand that some things are contentious that we’re debating. However, there has to be that respect for the members of the legislature, and mocking somebody for their accent or where they came from is completely unacceptable for any member of the legislature.”
http://torontosun.com/news/provincia...in-legislature

Jinentonix
+4
#2  Top Rated Post
Wait, there's a PC MPP named Kaleed Rasheed? But I thought all Conservatives were racists and White supremacists. How can this be possible?

On the other hand, knowing the low-life crud that the NDP attracts, I wouldn't be surprised if Bisson did say something racially inappropriate. "You can ask my friends and family, I never say stuff like that." Yeah, like A)Anyone is going to bother checking and B) That sounds exactly like someone who says "ni**er" within earshot of a Black person and then tries to convince said Black person that their brother or sister in-law is Black. Or that they have Black friends, or whatever.

EagleSmack
+1
The NDP has long been known for their racism.

MHz
Only the ones with an historical connection to the EU.

Jinentonix
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

The NDP has long been known for their racism.

Hell, the grandfather of the whole movement, Tommy Douglas, was a homophobe who thought all gay people should be lobotomized.

Hoid
I don't know who ever gave you the idea that brown people could not be racists.

I guess it comes from the belief that they aren't actually people?

Walter
+2
Progs be racist.

Tecumsehsbones
You Canadians really are a-holes, aren't you?

Durry
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

You Canadians really are a-holes, aren't you?

You are racist!!

Canadians are a race, just in case you don’t know.

That’s White Canadians of European origin

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Durry View Post

You are racist!!

Canadians are a race, just in case you don’t know.

Well, yeah, we all already knew you're an a-hole.

So piss off, yeah?

Durry
Is that the best you can do, your a real dumbo eh

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Durry View Post

Is that the best you can do, your a real dumbo eh

I will give you the greatest curse I can imagine.

Be yourself.

Jinentonix
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

I don't know who ever gave you the idea that brown people could not be racists.

Idiot f*cking progtards like you.

MHz
Don't we pay good money to see the mouth-guards come out?

10larry
Debate on this thread appears as a carbon copy of andrea-doug spleen venting. Doug is doug but I thought andrea had more political savvy than to engage in protracted juvenile name calling. Make your point and move on, spinning her wheels by calling doug a bully adnauseam gets really boring and will not earn ndp any points imo however offering a plausible plan would make her at least appear responsible.

EagleSmack
NDP = White Supremacists

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by 10larry View Post

Debate on this thread appears as a carbon copy of andrea-doug spleen venting. Doug is doug but I thought andrea had more political savvy than to engage in protracted juvenile name calling. Make your point and move on, spinning her wheels by calling doug a bully adnauseam gets really boring and will not earn ndp any points imo however offering a plausible plan would make her at least appear responsible.

Perhaps done as a power-point presentation with short references to youtube clips is how you add some life to the same old character assassination campaign. Clearly Ottawa is in dire need of some graduates of the Creative Writing University as their message is noy even raising any eyebrows in the gallery.

Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

NDP = White Supremacists

Really?? You always spoil the ending just because you can?

EagleSmack
+1
I like to state the obvious.

MHz
Nice of you to assume the rest of the audience is as observant as you. Even you would have to agree that they aren't. They might see you as a candle on a dark and gloomy night but reality is you are the biggest lighthouse around. How many eyes have you been able to open?

EagleSmack
That's right

MHz
Did you think I didn't notice? lol