spaminator
WARMINGTON: NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy
Joe Warmington
More from Joe Warmington
Published:
May 18, 2018
Updated:
May 18, 2018 10:55 PM EDT
Candidate Laura Kaminker - Mississauga Centre- ONDP ahead of the 2018 Ontario General Election. Handout/Ontario NDP/Toronto Sun/Postmedia NetworkPostmedia Wire
She wants to be Mississauga Centre’s MPP, but if she wins don’t ask this NDP candidate to wear a poppy on Remembrance Day.
“I just wear my peace button on my jacket as always and wait for the collective brainwashing to blow over,” said Laura Kaminker in a 2014 blog post.
“When our masters give the signal, everyone can take off the fake poppy — made with prison labour — and create a bit more landfill. And another annual ritual of war glorification comes to a close.”
The people who those poppies represent died so that this librarian can take such a view.
Views are something Kaminker has plenty of.
For example, Laura doesn’t like when the Maple Leafs, Blue Jays or Argos honour troops at games with a standing ovation and a team sweater handed to them by an esteemed member of the alumni.
“Why is war glorified at a baseball game or a hockey game? Why is military worship associated with sporting events? Why should we accept this as normal and natural?” she wrote.
She added, “Is there an assumption that the people who attend sporting events are especially receptive to military propaganda?” She refers to veterans as “heroes” in quotation marks and asks is “every ‘hero’ honoured, every flag waved, every resounding exhortation about the troops ‘protecting our way of life,’ is a conscious act, and a political one.”
Laura also is one of those who questioning if in fact 911 was an Al-Qaeda attack?
“Enough about September 11…for the US. For the world. Enough already,” she blogged.
Originally an American who came north in 2003 out of protest of her home country’s political stance on wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Kaminker wrote the commemoration of that day that killed almost 3,000 people including 24 Canadians “makes me want to shout: Go away! Go the [f—] away! All of you fixating on this one event, the whole world expected to stand in hushed silence because a bad thing happened to Americans.”
She also explains “Marxism 2011 program notes” from a conference she described as a “weekend of inspiration, education, and revolution.”
I have reached out to Laura to talk about this but she has yet to return voice mails, e-mails and Twitter requests. I do hope to connect to learn if earlier statements square her views today?
To be fair, most of these comments go back to 2012, the same time as Tanya Granic Allen’s words about women wearing burkas and on same-sex marriage — words that got her turfed from the Progressive Conservative nomination for this same Mississauga Centre riding.
The problem with this election is there has been so much gotcha stuff. It’s endless. It’s relentless. It’s pointless.
For example, Markham Liberal MPP hopeful Amanda Yeung Collucci’s 2012 Facebook post — “911, was it really a terrorist attack or another conspiracy for cover up? As soon as it happened back in 2001, I thought: ‘how can the US Defense be so weak? I thought the US had LET it happen so they can declare war” — has her on the hot seat.
I say let it go. Who cares? As long as no is threatened or in danger, it’s not important today.
Personally, I don’t think any of these candidates, if democratically nominated, should be disqualified for what they wrote or said years ago — especially when they are just expressing how they felt at that moment in a country with free speech.
That said, the electorate should be able to see what their positions were so they can make an informed decision if this is someone they want representing them?
For example if the NDP forms the next Ontario government by getting out how Laura Kaminker felt in 2012, no one will be able say they didn’t know she was at that time against wearing a poppy, supporting our troops at sporting events or someone who attended Marxist conferences.
If she’s elected, all of that will have been put out on the table for voters to decide.
jwarmington@postmedia.com

wmtc: nationalism
wmtc: sports without war: canada out of aghanistan, and military out of our sports
wmtc: september 11
WARMINGTON: NDP candidate says she won’t wear a poppy | Toronto Sun

Danbones
After the way the Canadian government tried to screw (STEAL!!!) the metis soldiers pensions after ww2 (it took till the day my FATHER died before the first check came in after we won in court.)

I WILL NEVER WEAR A FRICKEN STUPID, BS, fake, we really DON'T care, POPPY EVER AGAIN. EVERY CANADIAN HAS A RIGHT TO MAKE THAT DECISION and to HAVE THEIR own views on ANYTHING.

(Have you noted the RECORD poppy growth in afghanistan since 911 and how many kids that opium has addicted or killed, or put in prison to make YOUR LITTLE FAKENEWS POPPY?)

I know its just basic....That's why we have brains to think and vote with, eh BUB.
Too bad you disagree with Canada.

Ever thought of being one of those people they wear a poppy for?

BTW, you aren't one of those nuts that still believes the FAKENEWS official story of 911 are you?
(Answer in your own words please, I'd love to know how building seven fell, where those WMDS in Iraq were (IRAQ was the supposed 911 terrorists enemy), where the missing TRILLIONS are, and where the IRAQI oil (and GOLD!!!) is right now.)

If You don't like the way this woman has views YOU don't like, You are quite welcome to PROVE her wrong...you have had almost 20 years to do that, you should be able to do that at the drop of a hat by now.

Or you can STFU on stuff you have already been proven totally wrong about yourself and just VOTE anyway.

We allow that here in Canada.
Last edited by Danbones; May 19th, 2018 at 07:39 AM..

taxslave
Unless she gets elected, and I would say it is a big if what she thinks doesn't really matter.

Jinentonix
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Unless she gets elected, and I would say it is a big if what she thinks doesn't really matter.

Meanwhile, these are the same brainless tits who insist that garbage like Castro and Guevara were just great people and wonderful leaders.

spaminator
+3
#5  Top Rated Post
WARMINGTON: NDP candidate sparks outrage with poppy remark
Joe Warmington
More from Joe Warmington
Published:
May 21, 2018
Updated:
May 21, 2018 8:30 PM EDT
The image of Laura Kaminker, NDP candidate for Mississauga Centre, was taken from a YouTube video.
Retired York Regional Police chief Armand La Barge has a message for NDP candidate Laura Kaminker — one that many others also wanted to deliver.
“No one brainwashed me or the millions of other Canadians who proudly wear poppies in memory of the brave men and women of the Canadian Forces, past and present, who sacrificed their lives and their safety in the cause of freedom,” said the legendary former police chief on Victoria Day.
Of course, he was referring to the Mississauga Centre NDP candidate’s previous posts where she wrote: “I just wear my peace button on my jacket as always and wait for the collective brainwashing to blow over” and “when our masters give the signal, everyone can take off the fake poppy — made with prison labour — and create a bit more landfill. And another annual ritual of war glorification comes to a close.”
Armand La Barge is pictured in this December 2010 Toronto Sun file photo which was taken shortly before he retired a chief of the York Regional Police.
While everybody agrees she has every right to think and say all of that — thanks to the veterans who died — it did upset many. In La Barge’s case, so much so that he, and his wife Denise, sent both Kaminker and her boss, NDP Leader Andrea Horwarth, an e-mail reminding them veterans are not an annual inconvenience or political talking point but Canadians who sacrificed their lives for our freedom.
“Laura and Andrea, I will be thinking about … (friend) Gordon Robert Wood, of the Regina Rifles; my father-in-law, Leading Seaman Gordon Douglas Maxwell of the (Royal Canadian Navy); and my two cousins, Pilot Officer Bernard H. La Barge and Sgt. Leo La Barge, of the RCAF, this November when I proudly pin a poppy on my jacket. True Canadian heroes. We will remember them.”
Kaminker has not returned calls on this and Horwarth has defended her. There has not been the kind of pressure on them to apologize, that would happen should something similar have been said by Progressive Conservative Doug Ford. Sadly, just as these hurtful comments were making their rounds, Wood died in Napanee.
He was 93.
Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath has defended Kaminker. (Ernest Doroszuk/Postmedia Network)
“Though he didn’t talk about it much, Gordon served in the Regina Rifles from 1941 to 1946, landed on Juno Beach on June 6, 1944 and marched across four countries, eventually taking part in the liberation of Holland,” said La Barge.
In his e-mail to Kaminker, he mentions other veterans he thinks of all the time.
“Bernard and Leo were both cousins of mine,” explained the retired police chief. “Bernard was a pilot officer with the RCAF 405 Squadron and he was 28 years old when he and his crew perished in a night operation targeting Stuttgart, Germany. He is buried in the La Malmaison Communal Cemetery, Aisne, France.”
Flight Sgt. Leo La Barge, an air gunner with the RCAF 148 Squadron, was just 20 when shot down and killed over Libya. “He is buried at the Knights Bridge War Cemetery at Acroma, Libya,” said La Barge. “My father talked a lot about both of them and their sacrifice.”
La Barge’s father-in-law Gordon Douglas Maxwell “was a leading seaman in the Royal Canadian Navy” who served on warships during the Second World War.
And he was awfully “proud” to serve his country.
These are the kinds of people who are being kicked by the nasty sentiment expressed by MPP hopeful Kaminker.
She thinks Canada goes too far with poppies every Remembrance Day and La Barge thinks we don’t do go far enough.
“The government of Canada declared 2005 the year of the veteran, but I believe every year should be the year of the veteran because all Canadians owe them a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid,” he said.
We can’t re-pay their sacrifice. But we sure can respect it.
Now, stand up all those who would disrespect it.
NDP candidate stays on campaign despite poppy comment
Her anti-poppy message may have upset many, but NDP Mississauga Centre candidate Laura Kaminker is still riding Andrea Horwath’s bus.
The librarian and union leader was one of the first on the NDP leader’s campaign bus at a big rally Victoria Day in Brampton.
Any thoughts that Kaminker, who has boasted of attending Marxist rallies, would be jettisoned because of her comments about poppies, or her opposition to the Maple Leafs and Blue Jays hosting military appreciation nights, ended when Howarth defended the candidate, saying she’s not the “thought police.”
Former soldier Neil Wall commented “as a veteran, I support her right to her own thoughts and free speech. Lost too many brothers and sisters that gave their all for her to not have that right. But there is no way in hell I would ever vote for her!”
But she will on the June 7 ballot as a candidate recruited by an NDP nomination committee — although Horwath downplayed this, insisting “I, as leader, don’t tell the local ridings who to select as their local representative.”
Poppy or no poppy, Kaminker is very much part of the NDP 2018 ride.
WARMINGTON: NDP candidate sparks outrage with poppy remark | Toronto Sun

taxslave
+1
Once again it looks like the only ones that are brainwashed are dippers.

EagleSmack
Dips man.

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

The people who those poppies represent died so that this librarian can take such a view.

Don't let that stop you from trying to stop her.

It isn't like these dead war heroes mean anything to you either.

Johnnny
+1
I got 2 paragraphs through the OP before my brain started shorting out. Now I feel even dumber for actually knowing anything about this silly person.

spaminator
Poppy doesn't glorify war, local Legion president says
Antonella Artuso
More from Antonella Artuso
Published:
May 22, 2018
Updated:
May 22, 2018 6:26 PM EDT
Myrna Picotte, president of Royal Canadian Legion Branch 606 in Pickering, says she proudly wears poppy for her husband Bert, a Korean War veteran. (Toronto Sun/Antonella Artuso)
An NDP candidate who refused to wear a poppy because it’s “war glorification” should do some research before she goes shooting off her mouth, Royal Canadian Legion Branch 606 President Myrna Picotte says.
“I thought it was disgusting,” Picotte said Tuesday.
“The legion and the poppy doesn’t glorify war. It’s in memory of the people who gave their lives for our freedom. That’s what it’s all about.”
Mississauga Centre candidate Laura Kaminker has been criticized for posting online that she doesn’t wear the “fake poppy,” describing the annual symbol of Remembrance Day as “collective brainwashing” and “war glorification.”
NDP Leader Andrea Horwath did not rebuke her candidate, saying instead that “many people have many diverse opinions and we value free speech.”
NDP candidate says she won’t wear a poppy
NDP candidate sparks outrage with poppy remark
People should remember that the funds raised by the sale of poppies support the veterans, many of them now elderly, who ensured there is free speech in this country, Picotte said.
“It’s to remember the people that stepped up to the plate and gave us our freedom,” she said. “My husband is a Korean War veteran and I’m proud of him. I’ll wear a poppy for him anytime.”
Kaminker is entitled to her opinion, but it’s unlikely that the majority of residents in her riding would agree that the poppy is nothing more than landfill, she said.
Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford also weighed in on the NDP comments, saying Kaminker had slandered the country’s veterans with her comments.
aartuso@postmedia.com
Poppy doesn’t glorify war, local Legion president says | Toronto Sun

Hoid
“It’s to remember the people that stepped up to the plate and gave us our freedom,”

SO why are you crying about someone exercising that freedom?

Very disrespectful to the dead war heroes.

spaminator
WARMINGTON: Scott Smith wears poppy to school
Joe Warmington
More from Joe Warmington
Published:
May 23, 2018
Updated:
May 23, 2018 9:35 PM EDT
Scott Smith’s subtle, but not so subtle, message was perfect.
The 17-year-old 11th Grade student, like so many, was offended by an NDP candidate’s disrespectful stance on people wearing poppies to honour our fallen troops.
Scott knew exactly what to do.
“I wore my poppy today,” he said.
And it wasn’t for, or in protest of, Mississauga-Centre NDP hopeful Laura Kaminker, or for her supporter NDP Leader Andrea Horwath.
It was for the veterans, serving troops and the fallen.
“Some kids asked me about it and I told them why I was wearing it,” he said.
One teacher asked him too.
“He just shrugged,” teased Scott. “Mission accomplished.”
Laura Kaminker, NDP candidate for Mississauga Centre. YouTube
That a teacher was ambivalent about it didn’t surprise me at all. If you recall, last November with my photographer pals Mike Peake and Stan Behal, we went out on the streets and had a hard time finding anybody wearing a poppy. It was such a disgrace that even Mayor John Tory bought a box of poppies from the local Royal Canadian Legion and went out and handed them out to people.
It’s not that Kaminker is on to something with her dislike of the poppy, or the “glorification” of war through the military nights at sporting events. But we do have to be careful that people start to not remember why we do remember.
The truth is the places that seems to be most respectful of Remembrance Day are the schools. The kids really respect the veterans.
“Most did not know about the NDP lady,” Scott tells me.
And once he told them about it, he said, “they did not like what she said.”
WARMINGTON: NDP candidate sparks outrage with poppy remark
PCs plan on exempting Legion branches from municipal property taxes
Scott has always been a patriot. I met him in 2016 when he and his dad Steve showed up at the airport to welcome Afghanistan interpreter James Akam to Canada. They were the only ones to do that. Scott gave James a hockey stick. The kid gets it. He’s a great Canadian.
I thought Scott’s way of handling this was just as fitting and dignified. I have had many other interesting messages from families of veterans and I will bring some of that out this week as well. One fantastic pushback came Wednesday from Durham MP Erin O’Toole, a former veteran’s affairs minister and a veteran himself, who sent out a series of poignant tweets to Horwath.
“This is about leadership @AndreaHorwath. Will you allow NDP MPPs to opt out of Remembrance Day & other activities supporting those who serve our country and communities? Ontario voters deserve to know what your expectations would be for your caucus.”
Another O’Toole tweet said “I have waited to see @AndreaHorwath show some leadership following divisive comments from her Mississauga candidate on wearing a poppy. Remembrance has never been political, will the NDP allow it to become so?”
The doubling-down by Kaminker and Horwath speaks volumes of what we may see if they ever get the whip hand on Ontario.
If she can’t answer any of this, and if she is going to allow her people to denigrate out veterans, then she really is not fit to be premier in a province and country that is only free because of the freedom our veterans fought for.
Meanwhile a young kid named Scott Smith didn’t wait to see how the NDP tries to wiggle out of this. He did what he thought was the best way to honour those who bravely served us in wars past and present.
He simply donned a red poppy and wore it to school. Message sent.
[youtube]-KQEGo0MLZw[/youtube]
WARMINGTON: Scott Smith wears poppy to school | Toronto Sun

SUN STREETER: Does wearing a poppy promote war & brainwashing? Hear what you have to say!
Nelson Branco
More from Nelson Branco
Published:
May 23, 2018
Updated:
May 23, 2018 1:17 PM EDT
Ready for another Poppy-gate?
Some politicians just can’t help but stir up unnecessary controversy.
Most recently, Mississauga Centre, Ontario NDP candidate Laura Kaminker wrote: “I just wear my peace button on my jacket as always and wait for the collective brainwashing to blow over” and “when our masters give the signal, everyone can take off the fake poppy — made with prison labour — and create a bit more landfill. And another annual ritual of war glorification comes to a close.”
Retired York Regional Police chief Armand La Barge has a message for NDP candidate Laura Kaminker — one that many others also wanted to deliver: “No one brainwashed me or the millions of other Canadians who proudly wear poppies in memory of the brave men and women of the Canadian Forces, past and present, who sacrificed their lives and their safety in the cause of freedom.
What do you think? WATCH above as we hit the streets to find out if a poppy is a tribute of respect or … faux propaganda.
Tweet and Facebook us your thoughts.
SUN STREETER: Does wearing a poppy promote war & brainwashing? Hear what you have to say! | Toronto Sun

spaminator
EDITORIAL: Horwarth’s refusal to defend poppy shameful
Postmedia News
More from Postmedia News
Published:
May 24, 2018
Updated:
May 24, 2018 9:19 PM EDT
Many Canadians have family members who served and died during the world wars of the last century.
Many have family members who serve now, often in difficult and dangerous conflicts around the globe.
Our soldiers served in the last century to defend the life, liberty and existence of the free nations of the world. They served because evil threatened the world and had to be met with force.
Today’s soldiers serve to preserve the peace so dearly bought with the lives of that previous generation, because the world continues to be plagued by those willing to resort to violence, oppression and atrocity.
Every November 11, we honour those who lost their lives in the service of peace and the poppy has become our symbol of gratitude and respect, one Canadians proudly wear on Remembrance Day.
Veterans Bill Mogavero,who served in Korea (front) and John Hall, who served in the Second World War, salute during the singing of Canada’s national anthem at the launch of Toronto Royal Canadian Legion’s annual TTC Poppy Campaign in Toronto, Ont. on Friday Oct. 27, 2017. Ernest Doroszuk/Toronto Sun
NDP candidate Laura Kaminker, a self-described “Marxist” running in Mississauga Centre, said in a 2014 blog post she refuses to wear the “fake poppy” and described Remembrance Day as “war glorification.”
“I just wear my peace button on my jacket as always and wait for the collective brainwashing to blow over,” Kaminker wrote
She also criticized sports teams who honour our armed forces at games and she appears to be a 9/11 conspiracy theorist, suggesting there’s “no proof that bin Laden or Al Qaeda had anything to do with the attacks.”
“All of you fixating on this one event, the whole world expected to stand in hushed silence because a bad thing happened to Americans,” she wrote while objecting to the commemoration of the attack.
NDP candidate Laura Kaminker – Mississauga Centre – ONDP handout Postmedia Wire
Kaminker’s views are despicable.
They reflect a narrow, ideological and repulsive perspective embraced by some in the radical left. No one hates war more than soldiers. She should try talking to a few veterans.
Shamefully, NDP leader Andrea Horwath dismissed Kaminker’s repugnant views by saying “many people have many diverse opinions and we value free speech.”
Kaminker is entitled to her opinion. That’s what our soldiers, past and current, went to war for, and died to defend.
But her objectionable opinions make her a lousy candidate for public office.
So far, she hasn’t apologized for her posts. Neither has Horwath.
In fact, Horwath told the CBC she hasn’t even spoken with Kaminker about them.
Lest we forget? The NDP already has.
EDITORIAL: Horwarth

WARMINGTON: Poppygate continues with NDP leader Remembrance Day photo
Joe Warmington
More from Joe Warmington
Published:
May 24, 2018
Updated:
May 24, 2018 9:19 PM EDT
Is attending a Remembrance Day ceremony enough?
Is wearing a poppy enough?
Is giving the ceremony your full attention mandatory?
These are the kinds of questions being asked in light of a gotcha-style picture sent into the Toronto Sun showing NDP Leader Andrea Horwath at a Remembrance Day service, appearing to be concentrating on her phone instead of the sombre service, which included a moment of silence.
WARMINGTON: NDP candidate says she won’t wear a poppy
WARMINGTON: Scott Smith wears poppy to school
The picture probably wouldn’t have been sent in if she had taken a stronger stance to admonish her Mississauga Centre candidate Laura Kaminker’s precious blogs where she called people who wear poppies brainwashed.
But this “poppygate” thing keeps on going as people start to look closer at the high flying NDP and the candidates they offer in this election.
Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath appearing to be distracted by her phone during an undated Remembrance Day event.
This picture does not offer a location or a year, so it’s difficult to know the context.
In a statement Thursday evening, NDP spokesman Andrew Schwab said that Horwath has “a profound respect for women and men that have served in Canada’s armed forces, and a deep gratitude for the sacrifices those soldiers have made to serve the country” and that she’s proud to wear a poppy.
“She also recognizes that the people who have served the country have done so to protect Canadians’ freedom of speech, and while she doesn’t support the comments made by the candidate in Mississauga Centre, she recognizes her right to say it,” added Schwab.
What she has not done is called out Kaminker for her fringe, insulting views that she is entitled to have, but others are entitled to call out.
That said, there are people who feel working a smartphone during the service is also not appropriate and rude.
Laura Kaminker, NDP candidate for Mississauga Centre. YouTube
“That lady should not be on her phone,” said Scott Smith, the 17-year-old who wore his poppy to school Wednesday in a quiet protest.
“My dad always turns off his phone during a Remembrance Day ceremony. To show respect.”
It’s good advice. Not just for the NDP leader who could, next month, be Ontario’s premier but for everybody.
Maybe out of all of this, what will happen is there will be more effort to take seriously the remembrance of our fallen and to those all of those who volunteered to fight for the freedoms we so enjoy.

WARMINGTON: Poppygate continues with NDP leader Remembrance Day photo | Toronto Sun

Yo0

spaminator
+1
WARMINGTON: NDP land in another poppy scandal
Joe Warmington
More from Joe Warmington
Published:
May 30, 2018
Updated:
May 30, 2018 8:58 PM EDT
Candidate Jan Johnstone - Huron-Bruce - ONDP ahead of the 2018 Ontario General Election. Handout/Ontario NDP/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network
What’s with NDP candidates disrespecting Remembrance Day, the poppy, our fallen and war veterans?
This time it’s Huron-Bruce NDP hopeful Jan Johnstone taking a turn at questioning our treasured history.
In a Rabble.ca online conversation eight years ago, Johnstone — aka JanfromTheBruce — was responding to someone talking about poppies by writing “I thought this post was relevant.”
She then re-posted the comments from another online conversation “Nice post. I thot the Legion supported freedom of speech. Didn’t their veterans fight so that we could wear ANY poppy? Or did they just fight for RED poppies? Did my uncle die in WWII for RED poppies only? I don’t think so. The RCL glorifies all ALL wars, and wants the monopoly to do so. So a plague on their house!”
Johnstone then added her own comment: “but also taking up an arts and craft moment — design and wear your own. Or throw the red poppy into bleach and let it sit as the colour bleeds out.”
Any colour poppy? The Royal Canadian Legion “glorifies” war and has a “monopoly?”
So disrespectful for the original poster. But for a would-be MPP to think this is “relevant” is insulting.
But it was the “let the red in poppies bleed out” line that was most offensive. It’s a repugnant description when you think of all of the Canadian troops who have done just that on foreign battlefields.
Needless to say they were taken aback at the Royal Canadian Legion branch 183 in Kincardine.
Branch President Jim McDonald was surprised.
“It is interesting,” he said. “She comes to our events here.”
NDP candidate says she won’t wear a poppy
Star NDP candidate carried ‘F— the police’ protest sign
In fact, Johnstone was at the branch in April that hosted the NDP nomination which she won. Johnstone, who was in Goderich for a debate against PC candidate Lisa Thompson and Liberal Don Matheson, hasn’t responded, but NDP spokesman Andrew Schwab insisted there’s “context here” and explained “the original text come from a user named “godspal.”
“To be clear, this was not posted by Jan,” he said.
Andrew told me “Jan quoted that comment in its entirety, framing it with: I thought this post was relevant.”
He explained “obviously, quoting a comment she finds ‘relevant’ does not mean she agrees with the content, and the ‘plague on their house’ language is clearly from ‘godspal,’ not Jan.”
And Schwab noted that “posting 7 minutes later, Johnstone says ‘one way to speak out and simultaneously support peace and provide a political meaning to both — respect those who died and promote peace – is wear both. It sure would evoke a conversation.’”
Said Schwab: Johnstone “is clearly encouraging those who are interested in opening a political conversation about the poppy to wear both a traditional red poppy, specifically to ‘respect those who died,’ in addition to any alternative poppy.”
The notion of competing poppies is off the mark. There is only one poppy.
But it’s not surprising since we have seen NDP candidates come under fire for such things as claiming the poppy is a product of “brainwashing,” a Hitler-themed social media post and carrying a sign many years ago at a protest which said “F— the police.”
Since everybody seems to have a comment, mine is that he poppy is about Remembrance and is untouchable. The Legion supports veterans and does not encourage or capitalize on war, period. Efforts to weaken these symbols of sacrifice are vile.
Meanwhile, if the name Johnstone seems familiar, it’s not the first controversy for the family.
In the 2015 federal election, her daughter, Alex Johnstone — NDP candidate for Hamilton-West-Ancaster-Dundas — raised eyebrows for a Facebook post where she wrote below a picture of a man walking along the fence at Auschwitz “Ahhh, the infamous Pollish (sic), phallic, hydro posts. Of course you took pictures of this! It expresses how the curve is normal, natural, and healthy right!”
She later apologized saying she “didn’t know what Auschwitz was.”
Now, her mom does not seem to fully understand the purpose of the poppy.
WARMINGTON: NDP land in another poppy scandal | Toronto Sun

Twin_Moose
And these are the people that have a chance at forming Gov. wow