spaminator
Filipino fast food chain Jollibee expands in Canada with Toronto opening
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
April 2, 2018
Updated:
April 2, 2018 2:14 PM EDT
A woman and child take a photo with the Jollibee mascot. (Postmedia Network files)
A Filipino fast-food chain restaurant opened the doors to its first Toronto location this weekend to a long line of fans, some who waited hours, to taste the brand’s chicken, burgers and sweet-style spaghetti sauce and noodles.
Jollibee Foods Corporation’s aggressive international expansion includes a focus on Canada, where Filipino food is seeing a rise in visibility with several higher-end Filipino restaurants opening in recent years, as well as a major grocery store catering to cooks of the cuisine.
Jollibee had 978 Jollibee restaurants in the Philippines by the end of 2016, according to its most recent annual report, as well as 167 international stores spread across the United States, Vietnam, Brunei, Hong Kong, Singapore and the Middle East.
That year, the chain also opened its first Canadian spot in Winnipeg.
“Despite the freezing Canadian winter, thousands still flocked to the store and waited overnight just to get a taste of their Jollibee favourites,” the report reads.
Since then, that has grown to another Winnipeg location and, as of April 1, a long-awaited Toronto store.
A man named Paul was the Scarborough store’s first customer, according to Jollibee Canada’s Facebook page, and he sampled the crispy chicken for the first time in six years. He, along with the next 39 customers in line who spent more than $30, won one six-piece bucket of Jolly crispy chicken a month for a year until April 2019.
The grand opening saw customers buying bucketfuls of the crispy chicken and taking photos with the chain’s mascot, a red and yellow bee. The last customer of the work day was served just before 2:30 a.m. ET.
Canada’s large and growing Filipino population coupled with many Canadians’ eagerness to sample international cuisines make the country a prime choice for Filipino food service businesses.
The Philippines was the no. 1 country of birth of recent immigrants to Canada, according to figures from Statistic Canada’s 2016 census, with 188,805 people or 15.6 per cent of all recent immigrants being born there.
Calgary, Toronto, Winnipeg and Vancouver all boast restaurants dishing up Filipino or Filipino-inspired fare.
Toronto’s Queen West neighbourhood has been home to Lamesa Filipino Kitchen since 2014. The team behind the restaurant opened Lasa by Lamesa, a fast-casual spot, in September 2016. Its mission is “to share Filipino food with the mainstream.”
Last year, Seafood City Supermarket — a large Filipino grocery chain with two dozen U.S. locations — opened its first Canadian store in Mississauga, Ont.
Before opening, the company said it primarily targets communities with a large Filipino population, so Canada made good business sense.
Filipino fast food chain Jollibee expands in Canada with Toronto opening | Toronto Sun
Jollibee Canada

Curious Cdn
How many versions of dog do they serve?

Danbones
Other then the hawt ones you "whities" eat?

say, ever try them on crackers?

bill barilko
Spaghetti!

Sugar!

EagleSmack
+1
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

How many versions of dog do they serve?

That's racist

petros
Not to him. It's natural.

EagleSmack
+1
That is true.

White_Unifier
Dog? I thought that was a Korean specialty.

bill barilko
The old dodderers here wouldn't notice but Filipino Spaghetti sauce is widely available at larger food retailers across the country now.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilko View Post

The old dodderers here wouldn't notice but Filipino Spaghetti sauce is widely available at larger food retailers across the country now.

I've seen it but never bought it. From the packaging, I'm guessing it's like Italian spaghetti sauce but sweeter. Am I right on that or is there more to it than that?

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

I've seen it but never bought it. From the packaging, I'm guessing it's like Italian spaghetti sauce but sweeter. Am I right on that or is there more to it than that?

"Filipino style" ... it's probably really friendly and cheerful.

White_Unifier

"Filipino style" ... it's probably really friendly and cheerful.

So it's laced with a narcotic? That would be criminal.

Curious Cdn
+1

So it's laced with a narcotic? That would be criminal.

Ever read the ingredients label on an "energy" drink?

White_Unifier

Ever read the ingredients label on an "energy" drink?

Er... no... why? Loaded with caffeine I take it?

Curious Cdn

Er... no... why? Loaded with caffeine I take it?

There is so much caffeine and "stuff" in them, they have been know to cause cardiac arrest in normal teenagers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5714807/

White_Unifier

There is so much caffeine and "stuff" in them, they have been know to cause cardiac arrest in normal teenagers.

I do remember reading about that. I remember discussion a few years ago about placing a minimum age limit on high-caffeine drinks because of that. Then the topic dropped off. So that does raise a question. Should there be a minimum age limit on caffeine products?

spaminator
The joy of Jollibee arrives in Toronto
Rita DeMontis
More from Rita DeMontis
Published:
April 4, 2018
Updated:
April 4, 2018 8:27 AM EDT
It was a Jollibee-good time recently when the famous Filipino fast food chain opened its doors to Toronto’s first location, in Scarborough, where fans were rewarded with the company’s famous Jolly Crispy Chicken, Jolly Spaghetti and other signature foods.
Also on the menu is the Palabok Fiesta, a traditional Filipino noodle dish covered in garlic sauce, crushed pork rind, shrimp, and egg. Desserts, too!
Said Jose Minana, Jollibee Foods Corporation’s (JFC) group president for North America, “We are excited to bring to Scarborough the popular dishes that many now enjoy in different parts of the world.”
The Canadian market plays a key role in the company’s North America expansion plans. Jollibee Scarborough is the company’s third store in Canada and the 40th store in North America — proof of the brand’s commitment to this region as a key growth market.
Jollibee Foods is currently the largest Asian food service company, operating in 16 markets, with over 3,800 stores globally, of which 1,272 are Jollibee brand stores. It’s all part of the company’s aggressive expansion plan and its overarching goal to be among the top five restaurant brands globally. Winnipeg was the chain’s first Canadian spot.
”We look forward to bringing a familiar ‘taste of home’ to our countrymen in the GTA. Many may not know that this area is home to the largest Filipino community in Canada. And we won’t stop here – another location in Mississauga is in the pipeline for the year,” added Minana.
The Scarborough grand opening saw customers buying bucketfuls of the crispy chicken and taking photos with the chain’s mascot, a cute red and yellow bee.
– Jollibee Scarborough, 15 William Kitchen Rd. 647-953-1100; Jollibeecanada.com.
The joy of Jollibee arrives in Toronto | Toronto Sun
Jollibee Canada

bill barilko
+1
Filipinos-nice people

Filipino food-an embarrassement

spaminator
Jollibee 'a slice of home' for Canada's Filipino population
Bryan Passifiume
More from Bryan Passifiume
Published:
July 27, 2018
Updated:
July 27, 2018 8:41 AM EDT
Jollibee’s long-awaited arrival in Toronto this April saw over 7,000 people line up for nearly 10 hours.
Over three months later, anybody hoping to sample the most popular fast food restaurant in the Philippines should steel themselves for a long wait.
This was the backdrop for Jollibee’s opening of their second Toronto-area restaurant — their fourth in Canada — in Mississauga’s Heartland Town Center on Friday, July 13.
Choosing to open in Mississauga, said Jollibee Foods Corp. Group President Jose Minana, Jr., was a no-brainer.
Patrons line up for a newly opened Jollibee store in Mississauga on Friday July 20, 2018. (Dave Abel/Toronto Sun)
“Coming from Scarborough, where we had a tremendous response — Mississauga is home to a lot of Filipinos, so that’s where our primary target was,” he said.
Over half of Canada’s 800,000 Filipinos live in southern Ontario — a lucrative market indeed for a company so deeply ingrained in the culture of the Philippines.
Jollibee opened their first Canadian restaurant in Winnipeg, just north of the Polo Park shopping centre, in Jan. 2016 — followed a year later with a second in the city’s north end.
On April 1, the chain opened their first Toronto-area franchise at Kennedy Rd. and the 401, welcoming long lines of hungry — and nostalgic — southern Ontario Filipinos, erecting heated (and later air conditioned) tents in the parking lot to make the wait more comfortable.
On opening day of the Mississauga location, people began queing at 10 p.m. the previous evening.
So what is it about Jollibee that elicits such a passionate following?
“I think there’s really two things,” Minana said.
The first, he explained, is the food — specifically the fried chicken, the Filipino-style spaghetti and the peach-mango pies (deep-fried pastries filled with fresh peaches and mangoes sourced from the Philippines) as the most popular offerings.
“The other one, really, is that it’s a slice of home,” he explained.
“I was talking to a couple here, and he was saying that just standing there brings back memories.”
Jollibee has grown to become an inseparable part of life and culture in the Philippines.
Beginning in 1975 at the opening of a family-owned ice cream stand in Manila, their addition of hot meals evolved into a multinational corporation with 1,200 restaurants worldwide.
Even the 1981 entry of McDonald’s into the Philippines wasn’t enough to shake Jollibee’s dominance, which continues to outpace the American fast food behemoth’s growth.
Jollibee Foods Corporation eventually acquired many of the country’s most successful fast food brands, including owning the Philippine franchise rights for Burger King and in 2016 buying a majority stake in the American burger chain Smashburger and its nearly 400 restaurants across the United States and Canada.
Jollibee Foods Corporation president Jose Minana, left, along with Filipino food expert and reporter’s wife Jaq and daughter Bailey, centre. (Bryan Passifiume/Toronto Sun)
My wife Jaq, who grew up in and around Manila, associates the chain with warm memories of days gone by.
“Jollibee is part of my childhood,” she said.
“I grew up with it, it’s always a taste of home.”
The chain’s beloved mascot, the eponymous bee decked out in a red tuxedo and white chef’s hat, can be found on countless merchandise and toys, including a six-season children’s television show.
Surveying the people lined up Friday morning, Minana is confident in their announcement last month to open 100 new restaurants in Canada over the next five years.
While Toronto’s definitely on deck to receive some of those, Minana said Jollibee locations will open in Calgary and Edmonton next year.
“Sure, it’s all about the food, but it’s really become a place we can gather as a family,” Minana said.
“Whether it’s among friends or siblings or cousins, it’s a place were you gather and celebrate.
“You can really feel the joy inside.”
WHAT’S FOR DINNER?
So what’s on the menu that’s prompting these hours-long line-ups? Here’s a look at some of their most popular offerings.
JOLLY CRISPY CHICKEN
Jolly Crispy Chicken (Dave Abel/Toronto Sun)
“Crispylicious and Juicylicious” is how Minana described Jollibee’s most popular offering.
“There’s a certain flavour that really makes it quite different.”
Happily biting into a chicken leg, Jaq’s in full agreement with Minana’s assessment.
“I love the crunch,” she said.
PEACH MANGO PIE
Peach Mango Pie (Dave Abel/Toronto Sun)
Made with real Philippine mangoes and fried golden brown, there’s few who can dispute the Peach Mango Pie’s popularity.
“Filipinos like mangos,” said Jaq with a laugh, when asked why it’s so popular.
Although not yet available in Canada and normally only sold in the Philppines during lent, the Jollibee Tuna Pie (which replaces the fruit filling with savoury tuna, cheese, mayo and carrot) has a McRib-esque cult following among many Filipinos.
JOLLY SPAGHETTI
Jolly Spaghetti. (Dave Abel/Toronto Sun)
Another favourite is the Jolly Spaghetti — which Minana describes as a “sweet-style” spaghetti and common down-home comfort food.
“We have to put a little emphasis on ‘sweet style,’” Minana said.
The purely-Filipino take on the classic meal also features sliced hot dogs, ham and shredded cheese as toppings — and is my wife’s hands-down favourite.
“It’s just so sweet, and spicy,” she said, her mouth full of spaghetti.
“I just love it.”
PALABOK FIESTA
(Dave Abel/Toronto Sun)
Probably the most unfamiliar item to Jollibee rookies, rice noodles topped with garlic shrimp sauce, pork, sliced hard-boiled egg and boiled shrimp is a traditional Filipino dish, Minana explained.

[youtube]Kt7m34gXrT8[/youtube]
http://torontosun.com/life/food/joll...ino-population

bill barilko
Vile looking crap if ever I saw it.

White_Unifier
I like Filipinos, but I like Indian and Chinese dishes. Too bad my wife can't stand Indian dishes though. Small price to pay: Chinese food tastes delicious too.

A caffeine overdose will do that eh?
Last edited by White_Unifier; Jul 30th, 2018 at 12:40 PM..