US Stock Market Officially Crashes


mentalfloss
+3 / -1
#1
That's a shame.


US stocks suffer biggest fall in two years as Dow Jones plummets 666 points

Worries about the impact of a tightening job market on the prospects for inflation and a surge in bond yields sent investors fleeing equities on Friday, with the Dow Jones Industrials Average swooning almost 666 points, for its biggest daily percentage loss in twenty months.

It was the biggest daily point fall in the Dow in more than nine years.

With Friday's rout, Wall Street's three major indexes logged their biggest weekly losses in two years, after closing at record highs the previous week. The S&P 500 and Dow saw their worst weeks since early January 2016 while Nasdaq had its worst week since early February 2016.

It comes days after Donald Trump took credit for record highs on the US stock market during his State of the Union address.

"People are starting to really get increasingly uncomfortable with the rapid rise in interest rates that we have seen and the uncertainty of how that is actually going to start to play out relative to competition for stocks," said Chuck Carlson, Chief Executive Officer At Horizon Investment Services in Hammond, Indiana.

Overnight stock price losses accelerated after the US Labor Department reported employment grew more than expected in January with the biggest wage gain in more than 8-1/2 years. The picture of workers commanding higher salaries fueled expectations that inflation is on the rise, which could prompt the Federal Reserve to take a more aggressive approach to rate hikes this year.

That caused the 10-year Treasury yield to surge to 2.8450 percent the highest since Jan. 2014, which could make returns on Treasuries look more attractive relative to stocks.

US stocks suffer biggest fall in two years as Dow Jones plummets 666 points | The Independent
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
+1 / -1
#2
It started to fall yesterday. It was going up at a maniacal rate...... and that made it vulnerable.


just an observation.

Slow , steady and stable is the objective........but it seemed to reflect the erratic nature of Washington ..
 
Hoid
+1
#3
walt thinks its time to load up on the DJIA

he is currently buying the heck out of GE
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#4
The Stock market wasn't OVERDUE FOR a CORRECTION?

if you don't know THAT, you don't know anything.

Though myself, I wouldn't be buying anything long lol. Obama's doubling the Nat. debt through quantitative easing, instead of the cheaper option of bailing out the people, guaranteed that.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
+4
#5
It is called profit taking .
 
Walter
+6 / -1
#6  Top Rated Post
A correction is a drop of 10%. Friday had a drop of less than four %. Analfloss once again pulls a thread title out of her anal sphincter.
 
Hoid
#7
10 % is nothing!

You are already down more than that on GE but that isn't stopping you.
 
B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
+1 / -1
#8
Thank Fat Nixon (Trump) for making the markets insecure, undermining the Justice Department
 
Walter
+2 / -1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

10 % is nothing!

You are already down more than that on GE but that isn't stopping you.

Buy low, sell high.
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1 / -1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Buy low, sell high.

Let's see how low you can get, Walter.

btw, It's Saturday, again. Isn't it time for another one of your "Goodbye cruel forum" posts or is my watch running fast?
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#11
TSX also fell sharply. So did the C$ against the US$.
 
Walter
+1 / -1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

TSX also fell sharply. So did the C$ against the US$.

Stoopid Turdoh.
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1 / -1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

TSX also fell sharply. So did the C$ against the US$.

The latter is a good thing, especially on the cusp of a trade war with the US. Our lower currency is our secret weapon when we sell down there. I'm surprised that Trump isn't complaining about it ... then again, it wouldn't play well with his followers: "Isint bigger bedder?"
 
mentalfloss
+1 / -1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Buy low, sell high.

oh rly



More pain incoming.

A rare phenomenon is gripping the market; fund managers see more pain ahead
 
Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+1
#15
And there goes flosstard with yet another bullshit, pulled out of his manky ass title.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

That's a shame.


US stocks suffer biggest fall in two years as Dow Jones plummets 666 points

Worries about the impact of a tightening job market on the prospects for inflation and a surge in bond yields sent investors fleeing equities on Friday, with the Dow Jones Industrials Average swooning almost 666 points, for its biggest daily percentage loss in twenty months.

It was the biggest daily point fall in the Dow in more than nine years.

With Friday's rout, Wall Street's three major indexes logged their biggest weekly losses in two years, after closing at record highs the previous week. The S&P 500 and Dow saw their worst weeks since early January 2016 while Nasdaq had its worst week since early February 2016.

It comes days after Donald Trump took credit for record highs on the US stock market during his State of the Union address.

"People are starting to really get increasingly uncomfortable with the rapid rise in interest rates that we have seen and the uncertainty of how that is actually going to start to play out relative to competition for stocks," said Chuck Carlson, Chief Executive Officer At Horizon Investment Services in Hammond, Indiana.

Overnight stock price losses accelerated after the US Labor Department reported employment grew more than expected in January with the biggest wage gain in more than 8-1/2 years. The picture of workers commanding higher salaries fueled expectations that inflation is on the rise, which could prompt the Federal Reserve to take a more aggressive approach to rate hikes this year.

That caused the 10-year Treasury yield to surge to 2.8450 percent the highest since Jan. 2014, which could make returns on Treasuries look more attractive relative to stocks.

US stocks suffer biggest fall in two years as Dow Jones plummets 666 points | The Independent

That sonny is called profit taking.

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

The latter is a good thing, especially on the cusp of a trade war with the US. Our lower currency is our secret weapon when we sell down there. I'm surprised that Trump isn't complaining about it ... then again, it wouldn't play well with his followers: "Isint bigger bedder?"

No it isn't. Just lowers our buying power.
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
-1
#17
Did I not say the markets would fall last week. I told you so.
(That felt good). It's a fools game. You can tell by who is playing it.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+3
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

The latter is a good thing, especially on the cusp of a trade war with the US. Our lower currency is our secret weapon when we sell down there. I'm surprised that Trump isn't complaining about it ... then again, it wouldn't play well with his followers: "Isint bigger bedder?"

It's a good thing if you are an exporter. As a net importer .... not so much.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Did I not say the markets would fall last week. I told you so.
(That felt good). It's a fools game. You can tell by who is playing it.

Where did you say this? Link please.

Although saying that at some point in the future, the market will go down (or up) is not really that big of a deal. Sooner or later regardless of the prediction any idiot will be right.
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2 / -1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post


Where did you say this? Link please.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/us...ml#post2574207
What goes up must come down. If you watch the stock market for 5 decades, you know that a sudden rise will spark a sudden fall. It is till a fools game based on speculation. The market went up because of what Obama did and came down because Trump and his gangsters are gutting the economy and the country. Anybody who thinks this con man is going to make the US great again is in a coma cuz they have no clue what is really going on.
"They call it the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin.
 
Walter
+1 / -1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/us...ml#post2574207
What goes up must come down. If you watch the stock market for 5 decades, you know that a sudden rise will spark a sudden fall. It is till a fools game based on speculation. The market went up because of what Obama did and came down because Trump and his gangsters are gutting the economy and the country. Anybody who thinks this con man is going to make the US great again is in a coma cuz they have no clue what is really going on.
"They call it the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin.

Yer too stoopid fer werds.
 
mentalfloss
+1 / -2
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Yer too stoopid fer werds.

Walter.

You should know that you're the village idiot of CC.


Okay, maybe Danbones has you beat but not by much.
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
+1
#22
Did Trump tweet anything about this market drop?? Seeing as he is such a money guy..

just wondering if I missed any of his sage comments.
 
Hoid
+2 / -1
#23
Let's review: US stock markets invent trillions of dollars of phony value via derivative trading based on bad mortgages , then require trillions of dollars or bailout money followed by trillions of dollars of quantitative easing followed by trillions of dollars of tax cuts.

That is the track record.

There is no real value there. Which is why real estate is where it is.
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2 / -1
#24
Trump's debt:


U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time


Total FAIL
 
mentalfloss
+1 / -1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Let's review: US stock markets invent trillions of dollars of phony value via derivative trading based on bad mortgages , then require trillions of dollars or bailout money followed by trillions of dollars of quantitative easing followed by trillions of dollars of tax cuts.

That is the track record.

There is no real value there. Which is why real estate is where it is.

Fake Economy.
 
Hoid
+2 / -1
#26
the Dow will keep on rolling as long as taxpayers keep pumping those trillions into it.

of course if they had to operate simply on their own they would fail almost immediately.

Therefore BUY!!.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/us...ml#post2574207
What goes up must come down. If you watch the stock market for 5 decades, you know that a sudden rise will spark a sudden fall. It is till a fools game based on speculation. The market went up because of what Obama did and came down because Trump and his gangsters are gutting the economy and the country. Anybody who thinks this con man is going to make the US great again is in a coma cuz they have no clue what is really going on.
"They call it the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin.

"What goes up must come down" Is not much of a prediction is it?

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

the Dow will keep on rolling as long as taxpayers keep pumping those trillions into it.

of course if they had to operate simply on their own they would fail almost immediately.

Therefore BUY!!.

It's mostly corporate money in case you didn't know, which it appears you don't.

Quote:

Quote: Originally Posted by HoidView Post
Let's review: US stock markets invent trillions of dollars of phony value via derivative trading based on bad mortgages , then require trillions of dollars or bailout money followed by trillions of dollars of quantitative easing followed by trillions of dollars of tax cuts.

That is the track record.

There is no real value there. Which is why real estate is where it is.

Fake Economy.

Ummmmm, It's the PRIVATELY (BANKER) OWNED fed that prints the money dum dum. Its OBUMMER that decided to do that until it's an irreversible course.

You really DON'T have a clue about economics do you? But feel free to comment anyway.

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Walter.

You should know that you're the village idiot of CC.


Okay, maybe Danbones has you beat but not by much.

Funny, I keep turning out right and you keep turning out to be DEAD wrong.

The memo is out Mr Russian commienaziglobalist collaborator
NO COUP FOR YOU!!!!!
Last edited by Danbones; Feb 4th, 2018 at 01:10 AM..
 
OmegaOm
-2
#28
What a dumb game this capitalism system is playing.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1 / -1
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

"What goes up must come down" Is not much of a prediction is it?


Nope, but with "safe" you can't expect much else.

Quote: Originally Posted by OmegaOm View Post

What a dumb game this capitalism system is playing.

Yep, but it's fairly stable and probably here to stay.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#30
Watch the bong market

Ooooops, BOND MARKET
 

Similar Threads

48
Stock market Tips
by jjaycee98 | Nov 13th, 2017
27
Any Stock Market Junkies Out There?
by johnnyhangover | Aug 30th, 2016
71
Stock market crash?
by darkbeaver | Mar 15th, 2007
5
Elections Stock Market
by Tresson | Dec 26th, 2005
2
BC Election Stock Market
by scott malcolm | Feb 3rd, 2005