Bell, Rogers, Telus raise some internet prices

tay
while small providers drop theirs.

"Here we go again — they've got their hand in my pocket," says Toronto Bell customer Larry McLean about his latest price increase. "We're paying too much."

The hikes come on the heels of a CRTC ruling declaring broadband internet a basic and vital service that all Canadians should be able to access.

Still, it's not all doom and gloom for price-sensitive cyber surfers. In a surprise move, some smaller internet providers have actually lowered their prices this year.

"It was a nice little treat," says Brian Putman from Owen Sound, Ont. He subscribes to small telecom, Start.ca, and recently learned his internet bill would drop by $10 a month.

Canadians have come to expect endless telecom price hikes. So customer Putman was caught off guard when his provider, Start.ca informed him that his monthly internet bill would drop from $80 to $70.

"It just came out of the blue," he says. "Whenever I pay less for anything, I'm always very excited."

Smaller competitors TekSavvy and Distributel have also lowered their home internet rates.

The reductions were prompted by an October ruling from the CRTC decreed that major providers were charging smaller competitors too much for wholesale access to their networks.

That meant the big incumbent telecoms had to lower their fees charged to third party providers. And some of those providers decided to pass on the savings to customers.

"We were granted a little bit of a reprieve from a cost perspective," says Gayle Padvaiskas, Distributel's vice president of marketing.
She added that the company had actually planned to hike fees this year. Because of the CRTC ruling, however, Distributel instead says it dropped prices anywhere from 10 to 38 per cent on many home internet plans.

"We were actually able to change our strategy on a dime," says Padvaiskas, who is based in Montreal.

Rogers and Telus also offer $9.99 a month internet plans for low-income customers, but they are limited to people either living in social housing or receiving income assistance.

Bell, Rogers, Telus raise some internet prices

White_Unifier
My prepaid Telus plan costs me CAD 100.00/year for a local mobile number with 400 local anytime minutes and 400 texts.

My Telus data add-on costs me CAD 10.00/month for 100 mb of data.

My Skype plan costs me CAD 4.00/month (with a 15% discount if I pay for a year) for unlimited outgoing calls to any Canadian phone number.

My Virtufon plan costs me USD 4.95/month for a virtual local phone number with unlimited incoming minutes transferred to my Skype plan.

Since I have unlimited high-speed internet at home, I can make and receive all non-emergency calls through my Skype and Virtufon plans. I have access to Wi-Fi at many businesses, and so I need data only between destinations for the most part with my data add-on providing enough data to fill the void.

Altogether, unlimited home high-speed internet aside, I spend an average of less than 30.00/month for unlimited inbound and outbound calls.

Freedom Mobile does offer a plan with unlimited calls across Canada and massive amounts of data for 30.00/month too, and all portable to boot. However, Telus has a wider network. So by shopping around, I more or less reproduced that Freedom Mobile could provide me but on a superior network and at a slightly lower price.

Beat that!

Johnnny
I'm with Eastlink and they have been great to me.

The sales people from Bell always knock on my door trying to get me to switch. I wish they would accept no as an answer...

White_Unifier
Oh sorry, internet prices. Well, I get my internet reimbursed.

Now, if that wasn't the case and I didn't rely on the internet for work, I'd probably still keep my present internet and phone plans.

If I wasn't married and was living alone and didn't need home internet for work, then maybe I'd scrap my internet plan and go back to Freedom Mobile's 30.00/month plan.

Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

I'm with Eastlink and they have been great to me.

The sales people from Bell always knock on my door trying to get me to switch. I wish they would accept no as an answer...

Tell them what you presently have and challenge them to beat that.

Johnnny
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Oh sorry, internet prices. Well, I get my internet reimbursed.

Now, if that wasn't the case and I didn't rely on the internet for work, I'd probably still keep my present internet and phone plans.

If I wasn't married and was living alone and didn't need home internet for work, then maybe I'd scrap my internet plan and go back to Freedom Mobile's 30.00/month plan.

Tell them what you presently have and challenge them to beat that.

I pay a bit more than what they offered but whenever I have a problem Eastlink is there right away after a quick phone call.

That and the Bell people are too aggressive. I've told a few to **** off

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

I pay a bit more than what they offered but whenever I have a problem Eastlink is there right away after a quick phone call.

That and the Bell people are too aggressive. I've told a few to **** off

Ah yes, service. My internet is with Bell at 53.00/month after discounts though I have been thinking about switching to Virgin at 50.00/month. Though I'm reimbursed either way, it would be out of kindness to my employer. I'm busy with other stuff right now, but I'll probably be switching soon.

petros

Freedom Mobile does offer a plan with unlimited calls across Canada and massive amounts of data for 30.00/month too, and all portable to boot. However, Telus has a wider network. So by shopping around, I more or less reproduced that Freedom Mobile could provide me but on a superior network and at a slightly lower price.

Beat that!

Easy. Sask tel $85 for unlimited NA 24/7 LD. Unlimited picture texting NA. Call display inbox blah blah blah and unlimited data.

VIP 85
$85.00/mo.

Unlimited daytime minutes Keep in touch with the people who matter with unlimited daytime minutes and unlimited outgoing calls to every SaskTel customer.
Unlimited long distance minutes Get unlimited long distance minutes to make calls to Canada and the U.S.!1
Unlimited evening and weekend calling
Talk all you want on evenings and weekends. Sit back, relax, and chat away!

Unlimited text, picture, and video messaging
Share all your favourite moments, no strings attached! Get closer to your friends and family with unlimited text, picture, and video messages.

Unlimited Canada-wide data Get the data you need! Watch HD movies, surf the web, or play games online—when you want, where you want, as often as you want.
Handy features
Get a powerful suite of features in one simple package. Take the calls you want, when you want. You get:

Enhanced Voice Mail
Call Display
Call Waiting
Call Transfer
Three-way Calling

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Easy. Sask tel $85 for unlimited NA 24/7 LD. Unlimited picture texting NA. Call display inbox blah blah blah and unlimited data.

VIP 85
$85.00/mo.

Unlimited daytime minutes Keep in touch with the people who matter with unlimited daytime minutes and unlimited outgoing calls to every SaskTel customer.
Unlimited long distance minutes Get unlimited long distance minutes to make calls to Canada and the U.S.!1
Unlimited evening and weekend calling
Talk all you want on evenings and weekends. Sit back, relax, and chat away!

Unlimited text, picture, and video messaging
Share all your favourite moments, no strings attached! Get closer to your friends and family with unlimited text, picture, and video messages.

Unlimited Canada-wide data Get the data you need! Watch HD movies, surf the web, or play games online—when you want, where you want, as often as you want.
Handy features
Get a powerful suite of features in one simple package. Take the calls you want, when you want. You get:

Enhanced Voice Mail
Call Display
Call Waiting
Call Transfer
Three-way Calling

Only available in Sask I take it? Freedom Mobile does allow Canada-wide roaming for 30.00/month, though granted its network doesn't stretch far past major cities and, though very reliable, is till not quite as reliable as the big 3.

It's a good plan for those who don't have unlimited home high-speed internet if you're not in Sask I guess. If you do have home high-speed internet like I do, then the unlimited calls and massive data loses its appeal and then we start to shift our mind from quantity to quality.

But again, I'm not saying this to disrespect Freedom Mobile. I was a happy customer of their for a few years when I had no need for home high-speed internet and would still recommend them to those urbanites who want unlimited Canada-wide calling and massive data even if it is a little slow at times and a smaller network.

petros
You can get sasktel. There are black market plans available. Check your local Craigslist and Kijiji

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

You can get sasktel. There are black market plans available. Check your local Craigslist and Kijiji

As far as I can tell, all you have for 85.00/month that I don't at less than 30.00/month is North-American calling outside of Canada.

Okay, to be fair, since I do rely on Bell home high-speed internet at 53.00/month to make it work, that comes out to roughly 83.00/month. So around 2.00/month less than your plan and you get US calling which I don't get. And since mobile telephony is usually clearer than VoIP (though not always especially now that VoIP has come a long way), you might get clearer calls than I do (if I can even tell the difference in most cases). But I'm including my home high-speed internet in this price which I can use for many purposes other than just contacting people.

I don't believe that you're including home high-speed internet in your plan; though to be fair to you there, it probably does not depend on home high-speed internet and can function quite independently of it whereas I would run out of minutes quite quickly without it.

Hard to say, I guess every plan has its pros and cons.

mentalfloss
..and it's all because of increased wages.

petros

As far as I can tell, all you have for 85.00/month that I don't at less than 30.00/month is North-American calling outside of Canada.

Okay, to be fair, since I do rely on Bell home high-speed internet at 53.00/month to make it work, that comes out to roughly 83.00/month. So around 2.00/month less than your plan and you get US calling which I don't get. And since mobile telephony is usually clearer than VoIP (though not always especially now that VoIP has come a long way), you might get clearer calls than I do (if I can even tell the difference in most cases). But I'm including my home high-speed internet in this price which I can use for many purposes other than just contacting people.

I don't believe that you're including home high-speed internet in your plan; though to be fair to you there, it probably does not depend on home high-speed internet and can function quite independently of it whereas I would run out of minutes quite quickly without it.

Hard to say, I guess every plan has its pros and cons.

I can take it with me.