Premier of BC, Gordon Campbell, Attends Bilderberg Meeting in Sitges, Spain

dumpthemonarchy
So why is the premier of a province in Canada at a meeting with people of this ilk?
Campbell should discuss details of the meeting. He's gone from BC.

Gordon Campbell hobnobs with world elite at private meeting
Gordon Campbell hobnobs with world elite at private meeting

By JONATHAN FOWLIE, Vancouver Sun June 7, 2010

VICTORIA Premier Gordon Campbell spent his weekend rubbing shoulders with some of the world's leading political and business figures at the 58th annual Bilderberg Meeting in Sitges, Spain.

The secretive invite-only meeting dubbed by London's The Independent as an "annual cabal of the world's elite" pulls together top international names to discuss issues such as foreign affairs and the economy.

"We talked about the economy, we talked about trade, we talked about health care and the challenges that health care presents to all economies with the changing demographic," Campbell said in a brief interview Monday, not going into specific detail about what was discussed.

"We talked about how is it possible to feed the world and what are the barriers that are in the way of us actually accomplishing that goal," he added.

"Everybody is connected now with international trade. Everyone will be affected by what happens with the European currencies and that's a significant issue everyone is concerned about."

A list of attendees posted on the website www.bilderbergmeetings.org shows other attendees at this year's meetings included: Bill Gates; former U.S. Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin; former U.S. secretary of state Henry Kissinger; and director of the U.S. National Economic Council Lawrence Summers.

Other Canadians at the meetings included: Indigo Books & Music CEO Heather Reisman; CBC chief correspondent Peter Mansbridge; and TD Bank Financial CEO Edmund Clark.

When asked why he was called on to attend the meetings, Campbell said: "I think I was probably invited because British Columbia is seen as a province that's leading Canada doing a lot of interesting things.

"Our economy is one of the best in the country and has been for a number of years now," he added, saying it was an honour to be invited.

The meetings took place June 3-6 and Campbell's trip was paid for by the provincial government.

jfowlie@vancouversun.com

Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

VanIsle
I don't think it's appropriate that his trip was paid for by the provincial government. I did see something in the news the other day where they said Campbell is hinting that he won't run next time around because he may move into Federal Politics. That's worse than where he is right now!

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

I don't think it's appropriate that his trip was paid for by the provincial government. I did see something in the news the other day where they said Campbell is hinting that he won't run next time around because he may move into Federal Politics. That's worse than where he is right now!

For BC though that would be good. Senators don't have that much power while premiers are major players.

Campbell should have paid for this shindig on his own dime-the flight and hotels. If he is not going to publicly discuss the details of the meeting, then it is his own private business. He is such a cheapie.

Yet his govt has $500 million lying around to put a new roof on a concrete piece of junk called BC Place.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

So why is the premier of a province in Canada at a meeting with people of this ilk?

Why? Because he is self-delusional. He thinks he's a global bigwig when he isn't even a big fish in a little pond.

coldstream
A meeting of the world's Free Trade oligarchy, and their running dogs. Gordon Campbell is one of the latter, not the former.. a poodle for a parasitic class, made rich on the misery of billions, that has descended on the world's economy.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

A meeting of the world's Free Trade oligarchy, and their running dogs. Gordon Campbell is one of the latter, not the former.. a poodle for a parasitic class, made rich on the misery of billions, that has descended on the world's economy.

I may not agree with your religious beliefs but your political insights are on the money. They were probably letting him know what he could and couldn't do while he remains in office.

grumpydigger
LIEBERAL elite dictator.......GORDO ........ at a private meeting with the world elite Nothing good can come from this......

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by grumpydigger View Post

LIEBERAL elite dictator.......GORDO ........ at a private meeting with the world elite Nothing good can come from this......

They probably like his dictatorial style and are preparing his new role on the world stage (read: fat financial reward) for having done such a good job for them - sold out our resources to the lowest bidder on the international market. I'm sure to the Bilderberg Group, Gordo was a wet dream come true.