Quit Picking on the Republicans

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

You realize that this discussion is about american health care.

I bet the same procedure will work down there.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I bet the same procedure will work down there.

The solutions to all our problems are simple. Implementing them is the problem. There is no motivation. The only thing I see getting people motivated requires some mass destruction event like an asteroid. Complacency is the the biggest problem faced by the west. Muslim terrorist are highly motivated. The west lit a fire under their collective azzes. What will it take to lite one under the west?

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Meme wars hurt everybody.

Think of the children.

People who use memes have the brains of children.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+4

petros
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

In those states are where the migrant workers are... illegals. Why not just insure Mexico why were are at it..

Would there be as many illegals if the Colorado River still flowed to the Sea of Cortez? Those illegals are hired illegally to keep food costs artificially low so you can enjoy a $0.65 green pepper in January. If those illegals had health care, they'd be able to work harder and more efficiently.

It was the US government (left and right)t that f*cked them out of the jobs and non-narco economy they had in Tecate and Chihuahua and f*cked Americans out of jobs knowing full well the food industry was going to hire the illegals who lost their jobs and left their kids with no future in Mexico.

I'd have no issues with paying $0.75 for a green pepper if Americans worked the American side and were paid fairly and Mexicans were paid fairly in Mexico if water were shared equally.

Every summer a sh*tload of Mexican permit workers and their famalias come to work the food industry in BC AB SK MB and ON. They are paid fairly, pay taxes to CDN Gov have Canadian health care, the same rights and freedoms as we do, the farms make money and in Canada the green pepper is still $0.65.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Great, you've offered a solution, and one that I would support in being prudent and reasonable... Now, all that's required is to initiate the action(s) and redeploy the money.

That said, my feeling is that it isn't an action that we should expect to hang our hats on... Whether or not we agree/disagree on that policy suggestion won't matter. I think it's safe to say that military spending will remain as it is.

In the end, the money that I have asked gopher about still needs to materialize in order for his universal healthcare system to exist.

... And this takes us back to the core question - does the WH have the money?

Yes, it does.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2
Then it's simply a matter of will to achieve the goal

Tecumsehsbones
+2

Then it's simply a matter of will to achieve the goal

Yes, it is.

We're screwed.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Yes, it is.

We're screwed.

You guys were screwed long before Obama and medicare.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1
say it ain't so

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

You guys were screwed long before Obama and medicare.

Won't argue that.

Listen, the OECD has 33 successful models of health care. All of them provide universal coverage and comparable outcomes to U.S. medicine, at an average of about 1/2 the per capita cost. What does this mean?

Well, it means we could take any of those models off the shelf, apply it without revision, and be in business.

This leads to my health care proposal.

Health care, for a number of historical, legal, and practical reasons, should be provided by the states.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1

Won't argue that.

Listen, the OECD has 33 successful models of health care. All of them provide universal coverage and comparable outcomes to U.S. medicine, at an average of about 1/2 the per capita cost. What does this mean?

Well, it means we could take any of those models off the shelf, apply it without revision, and be in business.

This leads to my health care proposal.

Health care, for a number of historical, legal, and practical reasons, should be provided by the states.

you pinko bastard

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

you pinko bastard

Wait a minute, I thought I was a merciless savage.

Bastard I will cop to. My parents met briefly over a few drinks.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1

Wait a minute, I thought I was a merciless savage.

Bastard I will cop to. My parents met briefly over a few drinks.

you need to find jezuz fast dude, you think it's monday, you like my t*ts and you're a savage bastard

how come I can write bastard but not d i ck

just things to ponder whilst lookin'

try the closet

Tecumsehsbones

you need to find jezuz fast dude,

Heck, I didn't even know he was lost!

Quote:

you think it's monday, you like my t*ts and you're a savage bastard

And those are my virtues.

Quote:

how come I can write bastard but not d i ck

just things to ponder whist lookin'

try the closet

You are rude, crude, lewd, unruly, illegal, immoral, and socially unacceptable.

I admire that.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1

Heck, I didn't even know he was lost!

it's sad man... I think though someone recently found him on a cheese crust

Quote:

And those are my virtues.

oh Happy Day

Quote:

You are rude, crude, lewd, unruly, illegal, immoral, and socially unacceptable.

I admire that.

and those are my virtues and it's only Tuesday

Cliffy
Free Thinker

it's sad man... I think though someone recently found him on a cheese crust

oh Happy Day

and those are my virtues and it's only Tuesday

What? What side of the planet are you on. It's only Monday here.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

What? What side of the planet are you on. It's only Monday here.

I think she been into the wine Cliffy.

Either that or she's on speed and she's lapped us on the weekday thing.

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+4 / -1

Great.. Then forward a plan that Congress can get behind.

.. But it still requires money. Is the money there?

See post # 51

Another brilliant aspect to Republican ideology and strategy:

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+3 / -1
Republican Steve King's massive rally against immigrants draws about 50 people:

PHOTOS: Hardly Anyone Showed Up To Steve King's Anti-Immigration Reform Rally | ThinkProgress

Yet another brilliant effort to attract Latino voters for Republicans

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+3 / -1
Anthony S. Karen: A photojournalist’s unrestricted access to the Ku Klux Klan (PHOTOS).

Stalwart Republican Tea Baggers set a fine example for their children and those who worship at their feet.

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+3 / -1
LePage is heard to say Obama 'hates white people'

Two Republican lawmakers confirm that the governor made the remark at a fundraiser last week.

LePage is heard to say Obama 'hates white people' | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Gov. Paul LePage last week told a group of Republicans that President Barack Obama “hates white people,” according to two state lawmakers who heard the remark directly.
Gov. Paul LePage was heard to say that President Obama "hates white people" at a private fundraiser last week.
2013 Press Herald File Photo / Gabe Souza
Select images available for purchase in the
Maine Today Photo Store

The governor made the comment during a Maine Republican Party fundraiser on Aug. 12 at the home of John and Linda Fortier in Belgrade. According to the invitation, the fundraiser was billed as a “meet and greet” with LePage and his wife, Ann LePage, and also as an opportunity to meet Rick Bennett, the new state party chairman.
Two Republican lawmakers confirmed the comment when asked directly by a Press Herald reporter, but asked that their names be withheld for fear of political retribution. Each said LePage talked about how Obama could have been the best president ever if he highlighted his biracial heritage. But, LePage said, the president hasn’t done that because he hates white people.
“Yeah, he said it,” said one lawmaker. “It was one little thing from a speech, but I think most people there thought it was totally inappropriate.”
Bennett, who was elected in July to succeed former Maine Republican Party Chairman Richard Cebra, did not return multiple calls for comment about the story Monday.
Two other lawmakers who attended the event – Reps. Alex Willette of Mapleton and Larry Dunphy of Embden – said that if LePage made the comment, they didn't hear it.
“I didn’t hear him say anything like that,” said Willette, who added that he spent most of the event trying to raise money for his candidacy for the 2nd Congressional District seat.
Dunphy said the governor made some brief, informal remarks but he doesn’t remember hearing anything about the president hating white people.
Peter Steele, the governor’s director of communications, said he couldn’t comment because the fundraiser was not official business. He referred questions to Brent Littlefield, the governor’s senior political adviser, who also would not comment and was not at the event.
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment Monday.
Maine is one of the least racially diverse states in the country, with a black population estimated at 1.3 percent, according to the U.S. Census.
One of the lawmakers who confirmed the comments said he supports the governor’s policies but is tired of being asked to defend controversial statements.
LePage has a history of making inflammatory comments that have sometimes overshadowed his policy achievements.
In September 2010, before he was elected, he told a group of fishermen at a forum, “As your governor, you’re going to be seeing a lot of me on the front page, saying 'Governor LePage tells Obama to go to hell.’ ”
In January, shortly after he was sworn in, he declined an invitation to attend an event hosted by the NAACP in Portland. When asked what he would tell them if they questioned his decision, LePage replied, “Tell them to kiss my butt.”
In July last year, he compared the Internal Revenue Service to the Gestapo, the Nazi secret police.
In June, he accused Maine Assistant Senate Majority Leader Troy Jackson of being “the first one to give it to the people without providing Vaseline.”
University of Maine political scientist Mark Brewer said that if the governor did, in fact, say that Obama hates white people, it would top the governor’s list.
“It’s a ludicrous comment,” Brewer said. “But does it hurt him? Given that it’s Paul LePage, I don’t necessarily think so. There will be a big uproar from some, but the general reaction will be, 'There he goes again.’ ”
Brewer said even though the public has been desensitized by LePage’s long list of inflammatory statements, the governor “shouldn’t get a pass.”

Walter
+1 / -2
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

President Barack Obama “hates white people,”

This is news?

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+3 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

This is news?

Prolly not to a cracker it wouldn't be.

Mirror, mirror on de wall,
Who be de most prejudiced of dem all?

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

LePage is heard to say Obama 'hates white people'

Two Republican lawmakers confirm that the governor made the remark at a fundraiser last week.

LePage is heard to say Obama 'hates white people' | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Gov. Paul LePage last week told a group of Republicans that President Barack Obama “hates white people,” according to two state lawmakers who heard the remark directly.

Musta been a REALLY slow news day.

Oh, sorry. Let me get on track. . . I am OUTRAGED at this unwarranted and unprovoked attack on Jesus Superman Obama!

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2 / -1
Article on how Republicans helped create the mess we see today in the Middle East:

The Moment the US Ended Iran’s Brief Experiment in Democracy | Common Dreams

Published on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 by TruthDig.com
The Moment the US Ended Iran’s Brief Experiment in Democracy

by Robert Scheer
Sixty years ago this week, on Aug. 19, 1953, the United States, in collaboration with Britain, successfully staged a coup in Iran to overthrow democratically elected Prime Minister Mohammad Mossadegh that a newly declassified CIA document reveals was designed to preserve the control of Western companies over Iran’s rich oil fields.Mohammad Mossadegh in front of the Straight of Hormuz, as seen from the international space station. (NASA/WikiMedia Commons)
The U.S. government at the time of the coup easily had manipulated Western media into denigrating Mossadegh as intemperate, unstable and an otherwise unreliable ally in the Cold War, but the real motivation for hijacking Iran’s history was Mossadegh’s move to nationalize Western-controlled oil assets in Iran. According to the document, part of an internal CIA report:
“The target of this policy of desperation, Mohammad Mosadeq, [sic] was neither a madman nor an emotional bundle of senility as he was so often pictured in the foreign press; however, he had become so committed to the ideals of nationalism that he did things that could not have conceivably helped his people even in the best and most altruistic of worlds. In refusing to bargain—except on his own uncompromising terms—with the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company, he was in fact defying the professional politicians of the British government. These leaders believed, with good reason, that cheap oil for Britain and high profits for the company were vital to their national interests.”
There you have it, the smoking gun declaration of the true intent to preserve high profits and cheap oil that cuts through all of the official propaganda justifying not only this sorry attempt to prevent Iranian nationalists from gaining control over their prized resources but subsequent blood-for-oil adventures in Iraq and Kuwait. The assumption is that “the best and most altruistic of worlds” is one that accommodates the demands of rapacious capitalism as represented by Western oil companies.
Tragically, the coup that overthrew Mossadegh also crushed Iran’s brief experiment in democracy and ushered in six decades of brutal dictatorship followed by religious oppression and regional instability. If Iran is a problem, as the United States persistently and loudly insists, it is a problem of our making. Mossadegh, who earned a doctorate in law from Neuchatel University in Switzerland, was not an enemy of the American people; he was an Iranian nationalist who as the CIA’s own internal report concedes was preoccupied with the well-being of his people as opposed to the profitability of Western oil interests.
The CIA report derides the Western media’s acceptance at the time of the coup of the demonization of all actors on the world stage that fail to follow the approved script provided by the U.S. government. As the report notes, the “complete secrecy about the operation,” breached only by leaked information, made it “relatively easy for journalists to reconstruct the coup in varied but generally inaccurate accounts.”
Without conceding responsibility for misleading the media, the report says “The point that the majority of these accounts miss is a key one: the military coup that overthrew Mosadeq [sic] and his National Front cabinet was carried out under CIA direction as an act of U.S. foreign policy, conceived and approved at the highest levels of government. It was not an aggressively simplistic solution, clandestinely arrived at, but was instead an official admission that normal, rational methods of international communication and commerce had failed. TPAJAX (the operation’s codename) was entered into as a last resort.”
Parts of the formerly top secret report, an internal CIA study from the 1970s titled “The Battle for Iran,” which detailed the CIA-directed plot, have been revealed previously. But the section disclosed Monday in response to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit brought by the National Security Archive is, as the archive’s research director Malcolm Byrne writes in Foreign Policy magazine, the first time the CIA admits to “using propaganda to undermine Mossadegh politically, inducing the shah to cooperate, bribing members of parliament, organizing the security forces, and ginning up public demonstrations.”
All of these actions were described in great detail by veteran CIA operative Kermit Roosevelt in a lengthy interview with me for the Los Angeles Times in 1979. Roosevelt is confirmed in the newly released documents as having the leading role in planning and executing the coup. In the interview, Roosevelt revealed his part for the first time, but instead of celebrating the success of the venture, he cautioned that it had set a terrible example.
As I summarized the conversation in the story that appeared on March 29, 1979: “Roosevelt said that the success of the operation in Iran—called Project AJAX by the CIA—so inspired then-Secretary of State John Foster Dulles that Dulles wanted to duplicate it in the Congo, Guatemala, Indonesia and Egypt, where he wanted to overthrow President Gamal Abdel Nasser. Roosevelt said that he resisted these efforts and finally resigned from the CIA because of them.”
Roosevelt, as he recounted in his memoir published five months after our interview, came away from the coup he engineered with serious concerns about the efficacy of such ventures. But unfortunately it became the model in Vietnam, Guatemala, Cuba, Afghanistan, Nicaragua and other countries, where the full official record is apparently judged still too embarrassing for our government to declassify.

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+3 / -1
Drunken Republican Says It Was Gay Marriage That Made Him Operate Vehicles Under The Influence

Shannon Barber August 20, 2013 5:22 pm

There is no shortage of indiscretions when it comes to politicians these days, and here is yet another. However, this one didn’t seem to learn his lesson the first time, which makes things even worse… for him, at least.

Meet Rep. Don Dwyer (R-MD). He pleaded guilty just a little while ago to operating a boat while drunk. The crash that resulted from that debacle resulted in injuries for seven people, including a five-year-old-girl. As if that wasn’t bad enough, the boat was named “The Legislator,” showing that Dwyer is, if nothing else, obnoxiously arrogant.

Now, he is making headlines again, only this time it was a car he was operating while intoxicated, not a boat. The car’s tags and registration were also expired, The Huffington Post reports. Luckily, this time, no one was hurt. Dwyer was stopped on Route 100 at about 12:45 AM this morning, due to erratic driving. According to the police report, he appeared glassy-eyed, with slurred speech. He also reportedly failed three field sobriety tests. The hearing for the boating incident is scheduled for October 25 of this year.

The real doozy comes when we examine the supposed reasoning or the drunken boating. Dwyer was interviewed by the Capital Gazette, in which he attributed his behavior on the boat to his own marriage falling apart, and to his feeling “betrayed” by fellow lawmakers who backed marriage equality legislation in Maryland. Dwyer said to the Gazette:

“I felt a tremendous amount of pressure in my family. You take those personal issues add betrayal on the professional side, and it really gets to be overwhelming.”

Drunken Republican Says It Was Gay Marriage That Made Him Operate Vehicles Under The Influence -

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2 / -1