Driver's licence scam busted: ICBC

B00Mer
+1
Driver's licence scam busted: ICBC

The Insurance Corporation of B.C. is accusing one of its driving examiners and the owner of a driving school in Richmond of allegedly selling drivers' licences illegally.

ICBC has launched a civil suit against the pair – claiming that more than 200 licences may have been issued in the scam.

Court documents allege Dragon Driving School owner David Chiu charged clients as much as $8,000 for a guaranteed licence – to show that road tests had been taken and passed, when they hadn't.

And ICBC claims that driving examiner Crispine Diaz was paid as much as a quarter of that to issue the licence.

The RCMP say the school had bought out ads in Chinese-language newspapers that promised success in obtaining a driver's licence.

The insurance corporation is also suing 15 of the people who allegedly received the licences fraudulently – and has revoked their licences.

Some of those people later got into accidents.

One man wrecked his car twice – the first time billing ICBC for over $5,600 and the second time for nearly $9,000. But there were no injuries in either accident.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-icbc-1.511470

IdRatherBeSkiing
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
I don't think these scams are isolated or even isolated to BC. There are a lot more drivers on the road these days who apparently don't know the rules of the road.

taxslave
+1
Not seeing much difference between this and ICBC allowing translators to do the written test.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I don't think these scams are isolated or even isolated to BC. There are a lot more drivers on the road these days who apparently don't know the rules of the road.

I'm sure it's other provinces.. JUST GOOGLE IT!

(scratch that, just did, only could find BC)

bill barilko
WTF is the point of posting a 15 year old article?

Eh?!

petros
What has changed in the past 15 years in regards to fake DLs?

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilko View Post

WTF is the point of posting a 15 year old article?
Eh?!

Good point oops

so lets bring it up-to-date.. okay

Translator charged with helping hundreds cheat on driving test
Last edited by B00Mer; May 12th, 2019 at 10:17 AM..

taxslave
So nothing has changed in over 40 years. Back when I lived in east Van some 40 odd years ago the motor vehicle office on Nanaimo and Broadway you went downstairs to write your test and then back up to get your picture taken. Alas ther was a side door helf way up the stairs where various ethnic minorities would pass the paper from the guy that could pass the test to the guy that needed his picture on the license.