Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Pretty hard to shoot a charging Black bear center mass!

Especially when you don't have the first clue what center-body mass means.

Here, let's see if I can explain it in terms even you can understand.

You see a bear. Your vision allows you to estimate what the borders of the bear's body are, from your point of view: sitting, standing, profile, head-on, whatever.

You approximate what the center of that area you see is.

That's where you shoot. Because you're scared, rushed, and your breathing and heart-rate are elevated. You will not make a dead-on-the-line shot. Shooting center-body mass allows you to miss your ideal point of aim, and still hit.

Of course, this applies to human beings, not all y'all cool, unflappable heroes of the paper mill.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

You see a bear. Your vision allows you to estimate what the borders of the bear's body are, from your point of view: sitting, standing, profile, head-on, whatever.
That's where you shoot. Because you're scared, rushed, and your breathing and heart-rate are elevated. You will not make a dead-on-the-line shot. Shooting center-body mass allows you to miss your ideal point of aim, and still hit.
Of course, this applies to human beings, not all y'all cool, unflappable heroes of the paper mill.

.. and you do all of this assessment in the 1-1/2 seconds before the roaring fangs at the front of the freight train heading straight for your face dig into your carotid artery ... like real, manly-men do. Cool, calm ...

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

.. and you do all of this assessment in the 1-1/2 seconds before the roaring fangs at the front of the freight train heading straight for your face dig into your carotid artery ... like real, manly-men do. Cool, calm ...

But, of course, when you're a paper-mill hero, you wait til Ms. Bear is within arm's reach, then all lightining-like you jerk yer pistol outta yer customized drawing holster and clip a li'l, tiny bit of her ear with one perfectly aimed snap shot from the hip. Then when she runs away from your display of masculine Caucasian dominance, you blow across the muzzle to clear the smoke, holster it, and say "Didn't want to hurt the li'l lady none," turn to the lovely young woman in the gingham dress you just rescued in the nick of time, tip your hat and say "Ma'am," and stride away.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1

But, of course, when you're a paper-mill hero, you wait til Ms. Bear is within arm's reach, then all lightining-like you jerk yer pistol outta yer customized drawing holster and clip a li'l, tiny bit of her ear with one perfectly aimed snap shot from the hip. Then when she runs away from your display of masculine Caucasian dominance, you blow across the muzzle to clear the smoke, holster it, and say "Didn't want to hurt the li'l lady none," turn to the lovely young woman in the gingham dress you just rescued in the nick of time, tip your hat and say "Ma'am," and stride away.

I saw that one! The good guy had a geetar, too and a loyal Indian sidekick who always got to ride the Paint.

Colpy
Conservative
+3

Hey!

Been there, done that.

It is just our way.

LOL!!

Did 23 and Me, found out I'm 100% white guy. (England, Scotland, Scandinavia, northern Europe)

Oh....except I have an usually high number of Neanderthal markers. Too funny. Especially for my wife..........who expressed no surprize whatsoever.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Angus Percival Ragnarsson?

THAT must be confusing.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

Angus Percival Ragnarsson?
THAT must be confusing.

Not in the Orkneys.

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

I live on Vancouver Island north of Campbell River. Everyone I know works in or lives in the bush. Nobody carries a hand gun. Nobody wants a gun that is better than nothing. You want to find a hand gun you would go to a tavern in Campbell River.

That's where hand guns are appropriate.

You inhabit some forest north of Campbell River????????????????/

Well that explains why you are so FULL OF SHIT whenever you talk about things happening in a big city!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you EVER been east of Alberta????????????

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by spilledthebeer View Post

Well that explains why you are so FULL OF SHIT whenever you talk about things happening in a big city!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuthin much theyer!

pgs
Free Thinker

Nuthin much theyer!

Woss .

taxslave
Free Thinker

He is full of shit about things happening in the woods on Vancouver Island too.

spilledthebeer

Nuthin much theyer!

Sort of like your empty head Comrade Curious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That question was directed at HOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

But your doofus response is likely as clever a anything he would offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

He is full of shit about things happening in the woods on Vancouver Island too.

Ah......................

HOID offers a comforting sort of consistency....................................... ..........

in his willfully blind ignorance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

Sort of like your empty head Comrade Curious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That question was directed at HOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

But your doofus response is likely as clever a anything he would offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've become that desperate for material, have you?

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Nuthin much theyer!

He must be a close neighbour of Hoidie's. Unless he or Hoid or both of them are bull shitting.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

He must be a close neighbour of Hoidie's. Unless he or Hoid or both of them are bull shitting.

I don't know where Hoidie-Toidie lives. In the West, maybe.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

He says near Woss, but that seems odd. Woss is a logging community of about 200 people about 100 miles from Campbell River and 40 from Port McNeill...……….not a place the average retiree would normally settle. But straaaaaange people do straaaaaaange things.

JamesBondo

You took a drive through there 25 years ago, doesn't that make you an expert?

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

You took a drive through there 25 years ago, doesn't that make you an expert?

Took a drive through where, Bondo?

What are you an expert on?

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

He says near Woss, but that seems odd. Woss is a logging community of about 200 people about 100 miles from Campbell River and 40 from Port McNeill...……….not a place the average retiree would normally settle. But straaaaaange people do straaaaaaange things.

Up .

DaSleeper

Many thanks for your concern...
Of course, Having seen another hunter shoot a black bear through the heart with a cross bow bolt and bear run two hundred hundred feet after being shot.
No I didn't do the shooting.....I was the back-up with the 30-06 in case he turned our way!
His shot was considerably better than general center mass
Only a head shot will stop them in their tracks
Last edited by DaSleeper; Apr 22nd, 2019 at 07:18 AM..

DaSleeper
And what have you got against paper mill workers?

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

And what have you got against paper mill workers?

With that .

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1
Brampton councillor targeted with racist attacks over cash-for-guns initiative

Me thinks there is a lot more to this story than what is being reported

Colpy
Conservative
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Silly.

I'm the biggest nut nut around, and I think amnesties should be a permanent fixture of the system.

Got an illegal? Want to get rid of it?

Just turn it in...........

That actually might get a few out of circulation.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Silly.
I'm the biggest nut nut around, and I think amnesties should be a permanent fixture of the system.
Got an illegal? Want to get rid of it?
Just turn it in...........
That actually might get a few out of circulation.

Yep. And they'll be the most dangerous ones, i.e., guns in the hands of people who don't use them or want them, and therefore don't know how to use them.

A friend of mine kept around for 20 years a Mauser Luger that his brother had given him. Their father had taken it off a German officer when he was an Army surgeon in WWII. He asked me to look at it. So I watched the video for breaking down a Luger.

Yep, loaded.

Yep, chambered.

Yep, brass all corroded. Needed pliers to get the mag out.

I cleaned it, ran a few rounds through it, cleaned it again, and gave it back to him suggesting the put it in a shadow box.

I gave the firing pin to his wife.

Hoid

I gave the firing pin to his wife.

never heard it called that before.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

never heard it called that before.

That's funnier than you think, because the firing pin on the Luger is HUGE, for a handgun firing pin.

spilledthebeer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There has to be WAY MORE to this story than is being reported!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After all- the city of Toronto has had gun amnesties before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a relative who gave a WW1 .455 Cdn army revolver to the cops under one of the amnesties............

Perhaps this is a publicity stunt in the Jussie Smollet style????

Colpy
Conservative
+2
Senator McPhedran spreads false claims

TOPICS:firearms gun control homicide law abiding gun owner murder PAL statistics women
PAL holders are less violent than other Canadians. Most murderers are criminals
Posted By: Gary Mauser March 20, 2019
(Note: Thanks to helpful criticism, I’ve updated the graph).

Senator McPhedran spreads false claims about law-abiding firearms owners. It is revealing that some Liberal appointed Senators, like Senator Marilou McPhedran, feel they must falsify evidence to support Bill C-71. Perhaps they realize there is no real evidence to support Bill C-71?

Senator Marilou McPhedran twittered on 18 March 2019:

“Gun control is a gender issue – mostly licensed firearms used in women’s murders says Dr. Amanda Dale, Executive Director (Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic) on Bill C-71 at #SECD.”

Her claim is false. Not only are more men murdered each year than women, but few murders involve law-abiding firearms owners, men or women. Senator McPhedran’s short Tweet is packed with errors.

Senator McPhedran doesn’t understand the firearms legislation
Despite having had a legal education, Senator McPhedran appears to be unacquainted with the basics of Canadian firearms legislation because she confuses firearms registration with owner licencing. Presumably, since “licensed firearms” do not exist, she meant to say “legal firearms,” or possibly, “registered firearms.” Her statement is false whether she is talking about all legal firearms or just those that are registered. These are very different claims because few legal firearms in Canada are required to be registered. She is probably aware that her colleague, Senator Pratte, has already (if inadvertently) made the point that approximately 90% of firearms used in homicide are illegally owned.

Statistics Canada refutes Senator McPhedran’s claim
Had Senator McPhedran checked with Statistics Canada, she would have known her claim was false. Apparently, Senator McPhedran’s dashed off her brief Twitter statement too quickly. When she says “women’s murders,” it is not clear if she is referring to all women’s murders or only those involving guns.

Let’s examine what she could have meant by, “mostly licensed firearms used in women’s murders.” It is easily shown to be false if she meant that legal guns were the predominant method of killing women, i.e., involved in all “women’s murders”. According to Statistics Canada, between 2006 and 2017, an average of 587 people were victims of homicide, including 161 women. Stabbings are more frequent than shootings. Between 2006 and 2015, an average of 13 PAL holders were accused of homicide. Legal guns are rarely used to kill anyone, men or women.

Very few PAL holders accused or suspected of murder
It is important to keep in mind that the numbers of PAL holders either “accused” or “suspected” of homicide are exceptionally small and are based upon notoriously unreliable police reports.

In estimating the number of PAL holders who are accused of homicide it is important to use averages over a number of years, not rely upon a single year. Statistically, this is necessary because so few PAL holders are accused in any given year that the number varies considerably from year to year. The number of PAL holders accused of homicide varied between 7 and 19 between 2006 to 2015, according to Statistics Canada.

As Senator Plett has pointed out, at the bottom of the spreadsheet that Senator Pratte relies upon is the warning from Statistics Canada that “data related to firearm licensing of the charged / suspect-chargeable should be interpreted with caution.”
Given the small numbers, StatsCan wouldn’t identify how many victims were male and how many female. (This study was based on a Special Request to Statistics Canada that I presented to Parliament). Even if all of the accused are found guilty, which is unlikely, Senator McPhedran’s statement can’t possibly be true (13 accused/161 murdered women). On average, about 28% of homicide victims are females, so if this percentage is extended to the victims of PAL holders, then PAL holders would be responsible for killing around 4 women per year — out of 161. The problem is women in abusive relationships, not PAL holders.

Are women killed with legal guns more often than illegal guns?
It is more likely that Senator McPhedran was referring to female victims who were shot, even though her Tweet wasn’t clear. StatsCan doesn’t normally report sex of homicide victim by method of murder, so it is necessary to estimate the number of females who were shot. Between 2006 and 2017, firearms were involved in 32% of homicides, so assuming the same percentage of women are murdered with firearms as men: 32% of 161 is 51. This is probably an overestimate, given the high number of firearms homicides that are gang related. Even if all of the 13 PAL holders were accused of killing women, 13 is not more than half of 51 women shot to death annually over this time period.

It is important to note that Senator Pratte uses an inflated number in his estimates of homicidal PAL holders, by including suspects as well as accused. Unsurprisingly, the police may have more suspects for a single crime than are eventually accused. If suspects are included as well in our estimates, the average is 17 PAL holders who were suspected or accused between 2006 and 2016, which is the time period that Senator Pratte graciously shared with me. Note that even by Senator Pratte’s definitions, the number of PAL holders (17) is not more than half of the women murdered with a firearm (51).

Remember, these estimates exaggerate the true number of PAL holders who murder women because they include the PAL holders who are suspected or accused of murdering men, not women, and only some of those accused will be found guilty.

Senator McPhedran relies upon hearsay
Senator McPhedran’s says in her Tweet that the source of her claim is Dr. Amanda Dale, but Dr Dale says she got it from yet another activist. This is hearsay. Neither activist provided empirical support for this claim.
To quote Dr. Dale: “Yes, gun control is a gender issue, particularly because it is, as my colleague said, mostly licensed firearms that are used when guns are used to murder women.”

Dr Dale is merely repeating what Lise Martin, Executive Director, Women’s Shelters Canada, said.

The relevant claim by Lise Martin, Executive Director, Women’s Shelters Canada, is:
“According to the most recent report of the Canadian Femicide Observatory, 148 women were killed in Canada in 2018. The most common method used when a woman or girl was killed was shooting. We know that most of the women killed with guns in Canada were killed with legally owned rifles and shotguns.”

P16, transcript from THE STANDING SENATE COMMITTEE ON NATIONAL SECURITY AND DEFENCE. EVIDENCE. OTTAWA, Monday, March 18, 2019 at 1hour: 28minutes: 14seconds. (This transcript has not yet been made public).

The study she cited is based on newspaper articles collected by activists, which naturally is less reliable than Statistics Canada data. Unfortunately, media have a bias to report gun incidents and ignore violent incidents that involve clubs or knives. StatsCan data contradicts the claim that guns are the most common method of murdering females.

In closing, Ms. Martin offers no support for the additional claim that these murders were committed using legally owned long guns.

There is nothing in the report she cites to support such a claim. Senator McPhedran’s claim is without foundation.

Added later: Senator McPhedran is focusing on the rare negative side of civilian firearms ownership.

It is important to remember that millions of men and women use guns safely and responsibly for hunting, recreation, competition, as well as for protecting their family or their property. According to Canada firearms program, more than 200,000 women enjoy the shooting sports – including hunting — and they have a PAL.

In Canada, violent crime is uncommon, firearm violence is even more exceptional. Firearms are used in violent crime less in than 0.5 percent of all crime. Homicide is an extraordinary rare event.

Some facts: Three-quarters (73%) of homicide victims are male. In 2017, knives are used in murder more often than guns. Two-thirds (66%) of adults accused of homicide had a criminal record in Canada, whereas just over half (53%) of adult homicide victims had a Canadian criminal record, according to Statistics Canada.

https://justiceforgunowners.ca/senat...-false-claims/

One has to wonder why these gun grabbers constantly have to lie to make their points.

Look at this stat........

Quote:

The number of PAL holders accused of homicide varied between 7 and 19 between 2006 to 2015, according to Statistics Canada.

Quote:

Between 2006 and 2015, an average of 13 PAL holders were accused of homicide.

So, let's do the math. 13 murders per year (assuming all charged are guilty) by licensed gun owners. 2.2 million licensed gun owners in the country. That gives PAL holders a murder rate of 0.59 per 100.000.

The murder rate in Canada is 1.8 per 100,000.

Considering that all PAL holders are adult, and overwhelming male......that is an impressively low murder rate. 1/3 the national rate per 100,000.................which includes all Canadians, regardless of age.

One message to gun control freaks.

STOP LYING.