ABEXIT - is it time for Alberta to think about leaving Canada?

captain morgan
Who's 'we' sucka?

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Who's 'we' sucka?

Real Canadians.

Sucka.

captain morgan
+2
Don't get that logic, but as an aside, many folks that are here in AB that are transplants from Ont are pretty disillusioned with the dysfunctional dynamics between the provinces and the feds

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Don't get that logic, but as an aside, many folks that are here in AB that are transplants from Ont are pretty disillusioned with the dysfunctional dynamics between the provinces and the feds

I don't come from Ontario.

Do you?

captain morgan
No sir

Hoid
+2
You could make a rule that a person has to reside in BC for 5 years before they can buy real estate here.

That would cool down the real estate market way more than all these silly anti Chinese rules.

No more retiring out of Alberta and setting up shop in BC.

B00Mer
"51 Reasons Alberta Should Become A U. S. State" by @Force1Eagle, a citizen of Alberta

Curious Cdn
"Force1Eagle"

Have you ever heard the expression "Quisling" before?

Murphy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Didn't you hear Notley? No BC whine!

You personally burn that dirty oil.

You are part of the problem you bitch about.

There goes Cliffy, mindlessly rambling again. Showing everyone that he's a hateful, under-medicated senior. He appears more and more like someone in the early stages of Alzheimer's or dementia.

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

You could make a rule that a person has to reside in BC for 5 years before they can buy real estate here.

That would cool down the real estate market way more than all these silly anti Chinese rules.

When has Vancouver real estate been affordable ? What fuelled the growth of Ladner , Delta , Surrey , Coquitlam , Port Moody et.al ? Yikes .

taxslave

Be better to make them wait 5 years to vote. Or collect welfare or free medical.

Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

When has Vancouver real estate been affordable ? What fuelled the growth of Ladner , Delta , Surrey , Coquitlam , Port Moody et.al ? Yikes .

70s was not bad compared to wages. I thought about it but moved out as part of my apprenticeship rotation.

Hoid
Or get BC medical.

All these old duffers from Alberta paying into Alberta's system all their lives then they retire here and suck up all our resources.

Cliffy

Or get BC medical.

All these old duffers from Alberta paying into Alberta's system all their lives then they retire here and suck up all our resources.

And they have inflated our housing prices so it is difficult for BC residents to own or rent.

Hoid
Exactly.

People blaming the Chinese when its the oil patch that has always driven the prices out there.

The downturn in the market is what has caused the most recent spike because all these yahoos are moving here

taxslave
+2

Exactly.

People blaming the Chinese when its the oil patch that has always driven the prices out there.

The downturn in the market is what has caused the most recent spike because all these yahoos are moving here

Just like cliffy did.

Cliffy
I've lived in BC probably before you were born, punk.

Murphy
+1
An immigrant, living off BC taxpayers.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta & B.C. Want To "Separate" From Canada | MTL Blog

Alberta on its own or with BC, and Sask..

Alberta and BC, maybe. Alberta alone would be landlocked. If alone, it would need to develop very friendly relations with a neighbouring state that has at least one year-round port. That would be either Canada or the US. From the standpoint of efficiency, given that Vancouver is the nearest port, Canada would be the best bet. In other words, if Alberta wanted to separate, it had better play nice.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Alberta and BC, maybe. Alberta alone would be landlocked. If alone, it would need to develop very friendly relations with a neighbouring state that has at least one year-round port. That would be either Canada or the US. From the standpoint of efficiency, given that Vancouver is the nearest port, Canada would be the best bet. In other words, if Alberta wanted to separate, it had better play nice.

What happens to them when the oil runs out (and the water, due to desertification)?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

What happens to them when the oil runs out (and the water, due to desertification)?

Like I said, they'd better play nice.

Curious Cdn

Like I said, they'd better play nice.

When the oil's gone, a have-not region with a history of of "not getting along" will be trying to negotiate re-entry into the Canadian federation. I won't be around to see it but my grandchildren will be.

fxr92
+1

Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta & B.C. Want To "Separate" From Canada | MTL Blog

Alberta on its own or with BC, and Sask..

We don't want to be with crybaby Alberta.

Hoid
+1
Oil will be obsolete far before all the bitumen in Alberta is gone.

That is precisely why they are all in such a panic.

pgs

Oil will be obsolete far before all the bitumen in Alberta is gone.

That is precisely why they are all in such a panic.

Why donít you like Albertaís cleaning up the oil spilling into their waterways ?

OmegaOm
Considering oil is going downhill, I would not recommend it.

B00Mer

Ship to Seattle ports.. the Interstate via the US is a better road and better access.

I bring up product from Los Angeles ports all the time to Canada. Iíve never pull out of the Vancouver port, not sure what even comes in via that port.. but Iím sure itís important to Vancouver, just not the rest of Canada.

The BC highways suck

Dixie Cup
It Alberta was located in BC I might actually support the idea. But we're land-locked so how would separating help us? I suppose we could make closer ties to the US but would they allow us to build a pipeline south down and then West to a deep water port? I doubt it. So what would we gain? Oh yeah, no more contributions to the Feds but that's about it. We still have to deal with the rest of the country, so may as well make the best of it.

JMHO

petros

Ship to Seattle ports.. the Interstate via the US is a better road and better access.

I bring up product from Los Angeles ports all the time to Canada. I’ve never pull out of the Vancouver port, not sure what even comes in via that port.. but I’m sure it’s important to Vancouver, just not the rest of Canada.

The BC highways suck

It's all Corporate haulers and mainly teamsters.

Shell Refinery in Anacortes WA relies on Canadian oil.

Nick Danger
+1
Having the US as our only destination for exported oil is a nasty spot to be in. It pretty much allows them to set the price, especially now since the shale oil boom in that country has put them in a position much less reliant on imported oil. Trump makes no secret that his plan is "US FIrst" when it comes to international trade. We need offshore customers. (That's "We" as in Canadians)

As for the BC NDP's opposition to the Kinder Morgan expansion, I see green spoons stirring that pot. BC Green Party leader Andrew Weaver has John Horgan under his thumb and he knows it.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post

Having the US as our only destination for exported oil is a nasty spot to be in. It pretty much allows them to set the price, especially now since the shale oil boom in that country has put them in a position much less reliant on imported oil. Trump makes no secret that his plan is "US FIrst" when it comes to international trade. We need offshore customers. (That's "We" as in Canadians)

As for the BC NDP's opposition to the Kinder Morgan expansion, I see green spoons stirring that pot. BC Green Party leader Andrew Weaver has John Horgan under his thumb and he knows it.

Alberta clearly needs to export oil to the Pacific Rim. Having a single customer for it is problematic on many levels and the selling price is a big one. Maybe, BC needs to receive a bigger piece of the action. Money has a mysterious ways of talking down everything else.