Researchers find bottom of Pacific getting colder, possibly due to Little Ice Age


petros
+4
#1
The rift must be closing. LOL!


A pair of researchers, one with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, the other Harvard University, has found evidence of deep ocean cooling that is likely due to the Little Ice Age. In their paper published in the journal Science, Jake Gebbie and Peter Huybers describe their study of Pacific Ocean temperatures over the past 150 years and what they found.

Prior research has suggested that it takes a very long time for water in the Pacific Ocean to circulate down to its lowest depths. This is because it is replenished only from the south, which means it takes a very long time for water on the surface to make its way to the bottom—perhaps as long as several hundred years. That is what Gebbie and Huber found back in 2012. That got them to thinking that water temperature at the bottom of the Pacific could offer a hint of what surface temperatures were like hundreds of years ago. To find out if that truly was the case, the researchers obtained data from an international consortium called the Argo Program—a group of people who together have been taking ocean measurements down to depths of approximately two kilometers. As a comparative reference, the researchers also obtained data gathered by the crew of the HMS Challenger—they had taken Pacific Ocean temperatures down to a depth of two kilometers during the years 1872 to 1876. The researchers used the data from both projects to build a computer model meant to mimic the circulation of water in the Pacific Ocean over the past century and a half.

The model showed that the Pacific Ocean cooled over the course of the 20th century at depths of 1.8 to 2.6 kilometers. The amount is still not precise, but the researchers suggest it is most likely between 0.02 and 0.08° C. That cooling, the researchers suggest, is likely due to the Little Ice Age, which ran from approximately 1300 until approximately 1870. Prior to that, there was a time known as the Medieval Warm Period, which had caused the deep waters of the Pacific to warm just prior to the cooling it is now experiencing.

January 4, 2019
by Bob Yirka, Phys.org
 
Blackleaf
#2
What about Global Warming?
 
coldstream
+5
#3  Top Rated Post
Someone ought to send this to Ocasio - Cortez and her plans for a 'green fund' for AGW (of course she now calls it Climate Change). But it seems to me the northern hemisphere is entering the first stages of a cyclical cooling phase that appears to be about 400 years in length. The last cold phase being from 1300 - 1700 (in its most extreme). And it all has nothing to do with carbon.

Of course this will receive almost no attention from the mainstream media. On alert for the next 'super storm' to confirm the AGW (revised) hypothesis that ALL weather anomalies are a product of Global Warming even those that are better characterized as cold weather events (like storms).
Last edited by coldstream; Jan 4th, 2019 at 01:36 PM..
 
MHz
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

The rift must be closing. LOL!

Rifts don't close, they quit expanding. If the ring of fire stopped expanding and the descending continued at the same rate Hawaii and the crust around her would start sinking at a rate that would take up the slack. In Africa Mt Kilimanjaro would become a sinkhole with a lava lake at the bottom of it.

BTW, trying to use a scientific article as a 'hit-piece' on somebody who might be able to reply in a way that makes you inferior for not even questioning any part of the report you are using. You failed to show if this same person has anything else right. Lately I close the vid if they even hint they are a 'flat earther' by way of 'proof'.

is likely due to the Little Ice Age, which ran from approximately 1300 until approximately 1870. Prior to that, there was a time known as the Medieval Warm Period, which had caused the deep waters of the Pacific to warm just prior to the cooling it is now experiencing.
The 150 year gap can also be applied to the rift speeding up and slowing down and that would mean magma has more time to cool as it flows along the underbelly of the crust until it meets another flow coming from the other direction. That is marked my a single volcano and then the crust will dip after that. Hudson Bay and the surrounding lowlands would be a very visible. Ice in a mountain pass is going to move its biggest rock, once on the flatter parts it tends to use them as marbles under its leading edge which would have a cliff of just ice that is 1 mile tall even when the oce behind it is nothing but ice with huge cracks. Ice on the prairies fills in holes with gravel, it does not dig holes in granite, let alone many random ones that never get filled in with sand and gravel. The Prairies are flat because ice tends to cut the high points down and fill in the low spots

A pair of researchers, one with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, the other Harvard University, has found evidence of deep ocean cooling that is likely due to the Little Ice Age.

They are funded by whom??

Prior research has suggested that it takes a very long time for water in the Pacific Ocean to circulate down to its lowest depths. This is because it is replenished only from the south, which means it takes a very long time for water on the surface to make its way to the bottom—perhaps as long as several hundred years. That is what Gebbie and Huber found back in 2012. That got them to thinking that water temperature at the bottom of the Pacific could offer a hint of what surface temperatures were like hundreds of years ago. To find out if that truly was the case, the researchers obtained data from an international consortium called the Argo Program—a group o f people who together have been taking ocean measurements down to depths of approximately two kilometers. As a comparative reference, the researchers also obtained data gathered by the crew of the HMS Challenger—they had taken Pacific Ocean temperatures down to a depth of two kilometers during the years 1872 to 1876. The researchers used the data from both projects to build a computer model meant to mimic the circulation of water in the Pacific Ocean over the past century and a half.

MHz:
Is that not assuming the same water makes the trip rather than the transfer of heat can take place even when many different layers are present. The spot where the floating plastic is in the ocean would seem to be a location where water is sinking and it seems to bring plastic to that spot from all over the Pacific. The surface currents are mapped out pretty good so the volume of water making it to that spot is how much water sinks. The dia of the down-flow would determine how fast it is moving and that rate would be the same where the water starts coming back up.
Did those sailors back then pull the rope up by hand so fast that the temp on the device did not change??

The model showed that the Pacific Ocean cooled over the course of the 20th century at depths of 1.8 to 2.6 kilometers. The amount is still not precise, but the researchers suggest it is most likely between 0.02 and 0.08° C. That cooling, the researchers suggest, is likely due to the Little Ice Age, which ran from approximately 1300 until approximately 1870.

0.02-0.08 is not precise?? They also need the readings for all the years in-between. Records for the Pacific cannot be use for the medevil warming or the mini ice-age as they at in the Atlantic and that is a different ocean. Northern Europe is affected by how fast or slow the Atlantic Rift is going.
So far there is dead silence about the weather in north Africa about if it got wetter or dryer. Wetter means it could grow food, lots of it

Prior to that, there was a time known as the Medieval Warm Period, which had caused the deep waters of the Pacific to warm just prior to the cooling it is now experiencing.

The cooling is now due to coming out of an extra warm period, why would that mean another ice-age of it was not following a pattern that already exists and the speed of the expansion of the oceanic rifts.
Notice that science in the west allows water in the top of the ice-sheet in Greenland to flow through 2 miles of cracked ice without freezing yet in Russia you can throw boiling water into the air in wither and it freezes before it can hit the ground. Why would I not question your sanity and you are supposed to be the one that understands earth sciences the best
 
Blackleaf
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

Someone ought to send this to Ocasio - Cortez and her plans for a 'green fund' for AGW (of course she now calls it Climate Change). But it seems to me the northern hemisphere is entering the first stages of a cyclical cooling phase that appears to be about 400 years in length. The last cold phase being from 1300 - 1700 (in its most extreme). And it all has nothing to do with carbon.

Of course this will receive almost no attention from the mainstream media. On alert for the next 'super storm' to confirm the AGW (revised) hypothesis that ALL weather anomalies are a product of Global Warming even those that are better characterized as cold weather events (like storms).

The Little Ice Age. During the winters Frost Fairs used to be held on the frozen River Thames in London, the last being in 1814. Maybe we'll see them again soon.

 
taxslave
+3
#6
A few years back we were discussing this effect. I believe it was Tonnington called it the elevator effect and is about a 300 year cycle.
 
MHz
#7
How do you slow down water's ability to transfer heat at a fast rate? I can understand them promoting cold water sinking, how are they able to sink water that is warm as it would have been before the mini ice-age.
 
darkbeaver
+1
#8
The heat moves before the water which follows, of course. And I wouldn,t be surprised if the water didn,t move at all. I,d like to read any arguments, is the water moveing or just the heat?
 
Danbones
+1
#9
Yes moving heat on the sea...is called a nice burg

its like electron and holes.

A nice burg is like a heat hole on a warm sea.
 
MHz
#10
Water carries the heat in each zone. The depth of the layer might be quite thin (sun heated water would tend to spread sideways faster than it would sink and many layers are needed before the heat released by something like the 'black smokers' breaks the surface of the water. Currents would also play a role in how far away that was from when the heat and gas first entered the water.

The mantle also has similar layers and the magma is a thin liquid rather than semi-solid all the way up to the bottom of the crust. The material that comes out at Hawaii is as cool as it gets before it starts descending. Not really the putty that is the popular theory in many vids, Heats flows towards the cold spot, that is the top of the atmosphere rather than at the bottom of the ocean. The deepest drill hole is in Russia, they stopped when the temp reached 300deg.
 
DaSleeper
-1
#11
*****
 
Blackleaf
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Water carries the heat in each zone. The depth of the layer might be quite thin (sun heated water would tend to spread sideways faster than it would sink and many layers are needed before the heat released by something like the 'black smokers' breaks the surface of the water. Currents would also play a role in how far away that was from when the heat and gas first entered the water.
The mantle also has similar layers and the magma is a thin liquid rather than semi-solid all the way up to the bottom of the crust. The material that comes out at Hawaii is as cool as it gets before it starts descending. Not really the putty that is the popular theory in many vids, Heats flows towards the cold spot, that is the top of the atmosphere rather than at the bottom of the ocean. The deepest drill hole is in Russia, they stopped when the temp reached 300deg.

Is that the Russian drill hole where they supposedly heard people burning in Hell? They even recorded the sounds.
http://youtu.be/8iPIXq_jGMQ
 
darkbeaver
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Yes moving heat on the sea...is called a nice burg

its like electron and holes.

A nice burg is like a heat hole on a warm sea.




A blueish white hole. I discovered Bluish white holes.
 
darkbeaver
#14
We discovered white holes actually, I guess
 
darkbeaver
#15
Hurry-up and write a paper
 
MHz
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Is that the Russian drill hole where they supposedly heard people burning in Hell? They even recorded the sounds.
http://youtu.be/8iPIXq_jGMQ

Don't you still have digging to do in your country before the ocean claims it??




The quest to drill deeper created a global scientific contest akin to the Space Race. In 1970, Soviet geologists took on the challenge, setting their drills over the Kola Peninsula, which juts eastward out of the Scandinavian landmass.
The Kola Superdeep Borehole was just 9 inches in diameter, but at 40,230 feet (12,262 meters) reigns as the deepest hole. It took almost 20 years to reach that 7.5-mile depth—only half the distance or less to the mantle. Among the more interesting discoveries: microscopic plankton fossils found at four miles down. The Kola hole was abandoned in 1992 when drillers encountered higher-than-expected temperatures—356 degrees Fahrenheit, not the 212 degrees that had been mapped.
The heat wreaks havoc on equipment. And, the higher the heat, the more liquid the environment, and the harder to maintain the bore, said Andrews. It’s like trying to keep a pit in the center of a pot of hot soup.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...WR4iRu0xEzL.99
 
MHz
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Hurry-up and write a paper

About planting a flag on an Iceberg?? The running part when she flips over is when most people decide to move.
 
Blackleaf
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Don't you still have digging to do in your country before the ocean claims it??
The quest to drill deeper created a global scientific contest akin to the Space Race. In 1970, Soviet geologists took on the challenge, setting their drills over the Kola Peninsula, which juts eastward out of the Scandinavian landmass.
The Kola Superdeep Borehole was just 9 inches in diameter, but at 40,230 feet (12,262 meters) reigns as the deepest hole. It took almost 20 years to reach that 7.5-mile depth—only half the distance or less to the mantle. Among the more interesting discoveries: microscopic plankton fossils found at four miles down. The Kola hole was abandoned in 1992 when drillers encountered higher-than-expected temperatures—356 degrees Fahrenheit, not the 212 degrees that had been mapped.
The heat wreaks havoc on equipment. And, the higher the heat, the more liquid the environment, and the harder to maintain the bore, said Andrews. It’s like trying to keep a pit in the center of a pot of hot soup.
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...WR4iRu0xEzL.99

They found Hell, too.
 
darkbeaver
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

The rift must be closing. LOL!


A pair of researchers, one with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, the other Harvard University, has found evidence of deep ocean cooling that is likely due to the Little Ice Age. In their paper published in the journal Science, Jake Gebbie and Peter Huybers describe their study of Pacific Ocean temperatures over the past 150 years and what they found.

Prior research has suggested that it takes a very long time for water in the Pacific Ocean to circulate down to its lowest depths. This is because it is replenished only from the south, which means it takes a very long time for water on the surface to make its way to the bottom—perhaps as long as several hundred years. That is what Gebbie and Huber found back in 2012. That got them to thinking that water temperature at the bottom of the Pacific could offer a hint of what surface temperatures were like hundreds of years ago. To find out if that truly was the case, the researchers obtained data from an international consortium called the Argo Program—a group of people who together have been taking ocean measurements down to depths of approximately two kilometers. As a comparative reference, the researchers also obtained data gathered by the crew of the HMS Challenger—they had taken Pacific Ocean temperatures down to a depth of two kilometers during the years 1872 to 1876. The researchers used the data from both projects to build a computer model meant to mimic the circulation of water in the Pacific Ocean over the past century and a half.

The model showed that the Pacific Ocean cooled over the course of the 20th century at depths of 1.8 to 2.6 kilometers. The amount is still not precise, but the researchers suggest it is most likely between 0.02 and 0.08° C. That cooling, the researchers suggest, is likely due to the Little Ice Age, which ran from approximately 1300 until approximately 1870. Prior to that, there was a time known as the Medieval Warm Period, which had caused the deep waters of the Pacific to warm just prior to the cooling it is now experiencing.

January 4, 2019
by Bob Yirka, Phys.org

Woods Hole hahahahah at BIO we used to makes jokes about them,
 
Kreskin
#20
Funny how that mini ice age changed course in the industrial age. Is that the point here, Pete?
 
petros
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Funny how that mini ice age changed course in the industrial age. Is that the point here, Pete?

You are pinning solar output to industry? I hope not.

It's the timeline to intrigues me. Nothing more, nothing less.
 
B00Mer
+1
#22
Remember the movie "The Day After Tomorrow"

We're all going to DIE!!!!!

(eventually)
 
Blackleaf
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Remember the movie "The Day After Tomorrow"

We're all going to DIE!!!!!

(eventually)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7NlFWh7Sz8
 
Danbones
#24
..and now for a public service message from our sponsors!


Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

*****

Oh look! Yet another meme tard post!

East to spot, they always contribute zero...

...and since this is now YOUR favorite re-post we will use it to average out your apparent IQ...

If I am wrong and it's because you just stoked out and can't type anymore, maybe you should go see a 10% effective Doctor...keep the math balanced. They need victims to practice on to hold onto their place as the third biggest killer on the planet.

Especially now that they know that anti cholesterol drugs cause dementia which does cause people to type out empty posts, which I suppose could also be caused by lack of 02 to the brain because of a bad heart.

Statin Use Linked to Dementia
Written by Dr. Joseph Mercola

STORY AT-A-GLANCE
Having lower levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol is linked to a higher risk of dementia, according to a study of nearly 4,000 people aged 50 and over

A high level of LDL cholesterol was found to be inversely associated with dementia in the study participants, even after controlling for other factors that might increase risk, including demographic characteristics, health behavior, mood assessment and medical history
The association was so strong that researchers concluded a high level of LDL cholesterol may be considered as a “potential protective factor against cognition decline”

Your brain contains up to 30 percent cholesterol, which is an essential component of neurons and necessary to develop and maintain neuronal plasticity and function
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...ntia-risk.aspx

JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS!
Last edited by Danbones; Jan 6th, 2019 at 08:13 AM..
 
DaSleeper
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Remember the movie "The Day After Tomorrow"

We're all going to DIE!!!!!

(eventually)

Wasn't that the movie predicting the opposite of what all the random internet experts are predicting now? and everybody had to move south?


Maybe Trump shouldn't build that wall heh?
 
Danbones
#26
Statins use and risk of dementia: A dose–response meta analysis
https://journals.lww.com/md-journal/...esponse.8.aspx

Get petros to explain it to you, he got some sheepskins on the wall

PS the right to free speech covers Meg's content, it does not apply to posts like yours with no speech in them.

Players take the puck, GOONS take the man.

Back on point:
I love winter and I can't wait for more.
Last edited by Danbones; Jan 6th, 2019 at 08:28 AM..
 
DaSleeper
+3
#27
I post "'nothing"' in answer to nothing posts
I made an exception in your case just now...
Be gateful and F**k off!
 
petros
+3
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Remember the movie "The Day After Tomorrow"
We're all going to DIE!!!!!
(eventually)

Yeah, like it was yesterday.

I am quite pleased by my generation realizing we need to save our remaining oil for chemicals, plastics and medicines as well saving our coal for making steel and graphene by utilizing and creating new markets for some what renewable natural gas.

When it comes to the most energy with the least energy input nothing beats NG and we can pull 99.9% of that energy out.

Since climate isn't a threat and when you know nothing will happen it'll be an easy victory parade when they say "we've saved the planet, sorry you're broke but your sacrifice to the goddess Gaia guarantees an eternal life".

Without a boogie man would you support the JST?
 
Danbones
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

I post "'nothing"' in answer to nothing posts
I made an exception in your case just now...
Be gateful and F**k off!

Players take the puck, GOONS take the man.
 
MHz
#30
DipShit is dumber than the puck.


. . . . so is a 300 year water circulation, 1 year repeated 300 times and the undersea volcanoes start and stop at a rate that will be seem in the weather patterns.