The cornerstone of Christianity is human sacrifice. Is Christianity a moral creed?

French Patriot
The cornerstone of Christianity is human sacrifice. IsChristianity a moral creed?

I find Christianity immoral for substitutionary atonement aswell as many others of their moral tenets.

Without the blood sacrifice of Jesus, Christianity fails asa salvific religion.

We could thump all day with passages that both support bloodsacrifice as well as quote the many passages against it as shown with bothtypes of quotes in this link.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoHP-f-_F9U

Recognizing that there are many contradictory passages inscriptures, let’s ignore them all and just look at the morality ofsubstitutionary atonement.

Scriptures tell us that to perfect our wisdom, we must getout of the Christian theology. I think that those passages are asking us to confirmour thinking with analogies that do not include Christian dogma.

With that in mind, I offer an analogy for discussion.

Scriptures say we areall children of God.

Imagine you have two children. One of your children doessomething wrong – say it curses, or throws a temper tantrum, or something likethat. In fact, say it does this on a regular basis, and you continually forgiveyour child, but it never seems to change.

Now suppose one day you’ve had enough, you need to dosomething different. You still wish to forgive your child, but nothing hasworked. Do you go to your second child, your good child, and punish it to atonefor the sins of the first?

In fact, if you ever saw a parent on the street punish oneof their children for the actions of their other child, how would you react?Would you support their decision, or would you be offended?

Interestingly, some historical royal families would beattheir slaves when their own children did wrong – you should not, after all,ever beat a prince. The question is: what kind of lesson does that teach thechild who actually did the harm? Does it teach them to be a better person, tostop doing harm, or does it teach them both that they won't themselves bepunished, and also that punishing other people is normal? I know that's not alesson I would want to teach my children, and I suspect it's not a lesson mostChristians would want to teach theirs. So why does God?

For me, that’s at least one significant reason I find Jesus’atonement of our sin to be morally repugnant – of course, that’s assuming Jesusever existed; that original sin actually exists; that God actually exists; etc.

Do you agree that having another innocent person suffer forthe wrongs you have done, --- so that you might escape responsibility forhaving done them, --- is immoral. Do youagree that to abdicate personal responsibility or use a scapegoat is immoral?

If not, please show how it is morally and legally good topunish the innocent instead of the guilty, bearing in mind that all legalsystems think that punishing the guilty is what is justice.

Regards
DL

DaSleeper
Another wannabee philosopher!

Cliffy

Walter
Another Christophobe thread. Yawn.

MHz
The collective could all head for the volcano and 'take one for the team'. I'm not pushing, there was a speck of dandruff on your shoulder, oh, there is another one. .