Camping Edmonton

JLM
What is the best campground to park an R.V. for two or three nights within a 1/2 hour drive from downtown Edmonton?

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

What is the best campground to park an R.V. for two or three nights within a 1/2 hour drive from downtown Edmonton?

Reservations - Rainbow Valley Campground Edmonton, AB

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Reservations - Rainbow Valley Campground Edmonton, AB

Thanks, Gerry- I was mulling over Shakers Acres but my email to them bounced back and this one looks like it's a little more centrally located. I'm just not exactly certain what dates we'll be there yet, but I'll feel them out.

jjaycee98

Depending on where you are driving in from and where you will mostly be hanging out in the city-Glowing Embers is West of Town, has the usual RV site amenities and avoids alot of Traffic hassle if you have a big rig to haul through.

If you are mostly "Down Town" (and unless you are there for medical reasons there is really nothing down town-last time we were there the pan handlers were quite aggressive) then Rainbow Valley is closer.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by jjaycee98 View Post

Depending on where you are driving in from and where you will mostly be hanging out in the city-Glowing Embers is West of Town, has the usual RV site amenities and avoids alot of Traffic hassle if you have a big rig to haul through.

If you are mostly "Down Town" (and unless you are there for medical reasons there is really nothing down town-last time we were there the pan handlers were quite aggressive) then Rainbow Valley is closer.

Thanks for imput. We will be driving north from Calgary and will be visiting someone who lives in the vicinity of 83 St. N.W. and 111 Ave. We are hauling a 23' 5th wheel. It looks like Glowing Embers, Shakers Acres and Rainbow are the three most promising and it will probably boil down to which one we can secure a spot at on short notice. Thanks again.

Proud2BCanadian

Snow Valley in South West Edmonton. It's off the White Mud FWY.

Chiliagon
I am not sure if I'd camp in the City.. kinda noisy.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by Chiliagon View Post

I am not sure if I'd camp in the City.. kinda noisy.

There's a diff between 'camping' and 'parking the RV'. If you're in the city visiting, parking your RV at one of the RV parks is a handy alternative to a hotel room, and not much noisier.

Bar Sinister
Actually I am not sure what you find attractive about the city centre. There really is very little that is special there. Rainbow Valley is, however, only 5 minutes from Southgate Mall and 10 minutes in the other direction to WEM and about 10 minutes from the big box stores of South Edmonton Common. Not sure if that helps. If you are from Calgary I cannot imagine coming to Edmonton just to shop. You might find Googling "Edmonton Alberta Campgrounds" useful.

karrie
he said he's visiting someone.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Proud2BCanadian View Post

Snow Valley in South West Edmonton. It's off the White Mud FWY.

JUst spent three nights there, excellent campground I'd recommend to anyone, the operating staff is super friendly and obliging. There's lots of shade, it was quite warm while we were there (opposed to Calgary where we more or less shivered for four days) I spent two early mornings hiking the Mud Creek Trails. For anyone who is interested it's also listed as Rainbow Valley. I wouldn't say it's noisy at all. Edmonton is a nice city, it had been 18 years since I was last down town. Borden Park is nice.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

Actually I am not sure what you find attractive about the city centre. There really is very little that is special there. Rainbow Valley is, however, only 5 minutes from Southgate Mall and 10 minutes in the other direction to WEM and about 10 minutes from the big box stores of South Edmonton Common. Not sure if that helps. If you are from Calgary I cannot imagine coming to Edmonton just to shop. You might find Googling "Edmonton Alberta Campgrounds" useful.

Thanks, I found everything as you stated. Even bought Chinese food for take out from South Gate Mall. (Not the best Chinese food, but serves the purpose when travelling and too lazy to cook )