Where to move to in Canada

sensualspirit
Hi all,

I'm looking to leave Ontario after living here since '84.

I left the GTA last year to move to Windsor, & didn't realize how polluted both the water & air is. My body can't handle it.

Anyway, I was thinking of BC, but my main concern is all that rain & are people really happy out there b/c of all that rain? I know that Vancouver has a very bad reputation of being nasty like Torontonians & it's too expensive anyway, but I'm hoping to maybe find a city in BC where it rains only periodically. I'm not an expert when it comes to weather patterns & geography, but does all of BC get the same constant rain?

And if it's raining all the time, generally (not always) that means there's no sun, right?

So here is what I'm seeking:

1. Much warmer than Ontario although Windsor area wasn't bad, but it's out for obvious reasons.

I have to assume BC is the ONLY province that is warmer, right?

2. Rent is reasonable & I'm looking for an area that has modern houses or apartments & the landlords respect their tenants (clients).

3. Clean water & air (not perfect, but not like Windsor), GTA is heaven compared to this entire area.

4. Near nature is ok & welcome, so long as the town is developed & takes no more than 45-60 minutes to drive into a major city that has a Costco & health food stores, etc.

5. Prefer to be near a Superstore

6. Would love it if there were farms in the area for local produce.

7. Good (not junk) restaurants in the town & city nearby.

8. Reliable high speed (I am an entrepreneur who owns sites online, so I don't need to find a place where there are jobs, but I need quality phone & high speed internet service).

I think that's it for now

Thank you

Michelle

DurkaDurka
I would suggest Winnipeg

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post

Hi all,

I left the GTA last year to move to Windsor, & didn't realize how polluted both the water & air is. My body can't handle it.

Anyway, I was thinking of BC, but my main concern is all that rain & are people really happy out there b/c of all that rain? I know that Vancouver has a very bad reputation of being nasty like Torontonians & it's too expensive anyway, but I'm hoping to maybe find a city in BC where it rains only periodically. I'm not an expert when it comes to weather patterns & geography, but does all of BC get the same constant rain? Of course not. I think it's funny that anyone would even think that. Sorry - I'm not meaning to offend you, I just really find that funny.

And if it's raining all the time, generally (not always) that means there's no sun, right? I live on Vancouver Island in Nanaimo and it is part of the Sunshine Coast. We actually get a fair amount of sun. Just not during the winter.

1. Much warmer than Ontario although Windsor area wasn't bad, but it's out for obvious reasons.
Warmer winter or summer or both? Warmer summer - it's very hot in the BC interior - Vernon, Kelowna, etc. Kelowna is the biggest city in that area. But it gets very hot there in summer. Snowy and cold in winter. Where I live we had our coldest winter ever last winter but it never got below about -3. We also had more snow than we've ever had but even so, our deepest was about 3 feet in some areas of the city. We do get a fair amount of rain in the winter generally speaking but we didn't get that much last winter. Not a lot of shovelling to do (unless you live whereever Juan lives in this city - he said he was sick and tired of shovelling snow but I really think that's because we don't usually shovel any).

I have to assume BC is the ONLY province that is warmer, right? Right.

2. Rent is reasonable & I'm looking for an area that has modern houses or apartments & the landlords respect their tenants (clients). You could be looking here then. I think rent in the Okanagan cities (especially Kelowna) could be quite high but depends on what you call reasonable. Some people think $1500.00 is reasonable and some would say that's really high.

3. Clean water & air (not perfect, but not like Windsor), GTA is heaven compared to this entire area. Doesn't come better then here and we live on the ocean to boot.

4. Near nature is ok & welcome, so long as the town is developed & takes no more than 45-60 minutes to drive into a major city that has a Costco & health food stores, etc. We have all those stores and a lot more.

5. Prefer to be near a Superstore I live very near Super Store so - it's here too.

6. Would love it if there were farms in the area for local produce.Bingo

7. Good (not junk) restaurants in the town & city nearby. Double Bingo

8. Reliable high speed (I am an entrepreneur who owns sites online, so I don't need to find a place where there are jobs, but I need quality phone & high speed internet service). You're on a roll! We've got it all.

Thank you

Michelle

www.cityofnanaimo.com Hope that works.

YukonJack
I moved to Winnipeg from Ontario in 2007.

I like Winnipeg.

But if it is endorsed by DurkaDurka, I may think about going back to Ontario.

DurkaDurka
hahaha! I have an extra room at my place if you need lodging, Yukon.

L Gilbert
The Kootenays of BC is awesome, but you'd better bring your own job if you need one, because there aren't any here.

sensualspirit
Funny Durka, I can't remember if Winnipeg or Sask is colder.

VanIsle - thank you for being so detailed.

Ok, a few things:

1. I don't think I'm the only one who thinks it rains all the time there & while I don't like snow, it doesn't snow every day in Canada (well some areas excluded of course), so in a week in the winter, how often does it rain?

And here, it can snow & when it stops the sun comes out or it can sort of be there even when snowing, so that makes a huge difference in how this affects people's moods if you are saying there is no sun in the winter at all.

2. Rent - $1,500 to me is very high (depending on the house & what it looks like, but you could even be talking about a condo if you were in Toronto).

I'm looking no more then $800. Can you recommend any real estate agents?

Did you say if there were modern places around there?

I know Kelowna is high, learned that years ago & when I saw warm, I don't mean hotter then 27. I used to like it really hot, but these days I am happy around 20-23 depending on wind & such.

3. Is it very humid there?

4. Here's what someone said about Naiamo after they moved everything from ON to BC. This scares me BIG TIME:

1.Nanaimo is filled with these suites. They are illegal, expensive and dangerous. The city seems unconcerned. My new landlady rented out the lower suite to a family with a baby

Her & her hubby or partner moved all teh way there based on pictures of this apartment.

They get there & the landlady had sold the house & photoshoped the pics to make the place look gorgeous.

It ended up being the upstairs of a house (I'm assuming) & there was a crying baby in the basement they never knew about.

Thanks & TTYL

Michelle

sensualspirit
Gilbert, You missed the part where I said I am a netrepreneur.

Wonder what else you missed

Michelle

L Gilbert
lol I missed almost all your post, actually. Just saw it as I was strolling by and thought I'd plug the Kootenays. lol
Good climate here, not too hot, not too cold, not as much rain as Vancouver but more than the Okanagan.
Not sure about the stores you mentioned, but I am sure there's at least one somewhere in the Kootenays. Health food stores re a dime a dozen. Even Nelson with 12,000 people has one.
We have a lot of nature here and air/water is clean and fresh.
Slainte!
Les

sensualspirit
Figured as much

Ok, who has the least rain in BC? Someone must have the stats on that one LOL

How much is rent there usually?

Is the Kootenays an area, or a large city?

Completely lost LOL

Thanks

Michelle

mt_pockets1000
Hi Michelle. Nice name. Very musical.

Try this site....

BC STATS: Home

Curiosity
Hi

Good for you checking things out before you take the plunge!

B.C. is still tops with me and if you don't like the idea of the rain forest - why not Vancouver Island - Victoria or one of the higher up towns and cities along the sunshine coast....there are members here who live there....

Hope you find the right place for happy living.

sensualspirit
Thanks Pockets, I take it you are a Beatles Fan? LOL

I've noticed there are more Michelles then ever before. Too many of us LOL, but only one me.

That will help when it comes to narrowing things down re: gender & age, but the jobs stuff I don't need.

Curiosity thanks for that.

So Vancouver Island is seperate & far away from Vancouver?

People have mentioned Victoria in passing, but it still sounds expensive.

Thanks

Michelle

VanIsle

Thanks Pockets, I take it you are a Beatles Fan? LOL

I've noticed there are more Michelles then ever before. Too many of us LOL, but only one me.

That will help when it comes to narrowing things down re: gender & age, but the jobs stuff I don't need.

Curiosity thanks for that.

So Vancouver Island is seperate & far away from Vancouver?

People have mentioned Victoria in passing, but it still sounds expensive.

Thanks

Michelle

WEATHER AT NANAIMO AIRPORT.

That's the best way to answer your questions regarding our weather. Today is bright sunshine.
As for rent - I just threw a figure out there. I have not looked at rentals in quite sometime. I'm sure if you just query some of the local real estate companies (I think they are pretty much the same Canada wide - like say - ReMax Nanaimo/home rentals. I have also seen some ads on Craig's list - Nanaimo. Others might disagree with me - I would be searching for mid to North Nanaimo as far as a rental goes. You would be closer to all the things you are wanting to be near.
Victoria is expensive. Vancouver Island is quite separate from Vancouver. You have to get her via boat! A big ferry boat. It's a big island but - there isn't a road here from the mainland. There isn't much reason to leave once you are here anyway unless you are going on vacation somewhere. We do have airports as well. But - to get here by car, you must get on BC Ferries. You will love it here. Lots of people here from Ontario, Manitoba and Britain.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post

Hi

Good for you checking things out before you take the plunge!

B.C. is still tops with me and if you don't like the idea of the rain forest - why not Vancouver Island - Victoria or one of the higher up towns and cities along the sunshine coast....there are members here who live there....

Hope you find the right place for happy living.

Curiosity:
That's what I am - curious. Is the picture in your avatar you or is it: Arianne Zucker as Nicole Walker

mt_pockets1000
I'd guess Charlize Theron.

sensualspirit
OMG, the cheapest place is a 2 bdrm basement apt. for $1,300, that's nuts LOL

I also checked out CL & I see they love to exclude pictures which I find suspicious.

It looks like it's still fairly expensive, around the same price range as just outside Toronto. So that looks like that is out.

Thank you

Michelle

JLM

Hi all,

Anyway, I was thinking of BC, but my main concern is all that rain & are people really happy out there b/c of all that rain? I know that Vancouver has a very bad reputation of being nasty like Torontonians & it's too expensive anyway, but I'm hoping to maybe find a city in BC where it rains only periodically. I'm not an expert when it comes to weather patterns & geography, but does all of BC get the same constant rain?

And if it's raining all the time, generally (not always) that means there's no sun, right?

I have to assume BC is the ONLY province that is warmer, right?

2. Rent is reasonable & I'm looking for an area that has modern houses or apartments & the landlords respect their tenants (clients).

3. Clean water & air (not perfect, but not like Windsor), GTA is heaven compared to this entire area.

4. Near nature is ok & welcome, so long as the town is developed & takes no more than 45-60 minutes to drive into a major city that has a Costco & health food stores, etc.

5. Prefer to be near a Superstore

6. Would love it if there were farms in the area for local produce.

7. Good (not junk) restaurants in the town & city nearby.

8. Reliable high speed (I am an entrepreneur who owns sites online, so I don't need to find a place where there are jobs, but I need quality phone & high speed internet service).

Thank you

Michelle

I think Grand Forks (right on the U.S. boundary midway between the coast and Alberta) meets a lot of your criteria.
Population 4,000 with another 4,000 in the immediate surrounding area.
One hour drive to Colville Wa. that has Walmart and most shopping facilities
21/2 hour drive to Kelowna pop. 100,000 + or Spokane Wa. 400,000.
We are situated at the confluence of two rivers and have lots of outdoor activiites, hiking, golf, swimming. We have a theatre an arena and a curling rink and bowling allies.
We have 3 major grocery stores. Weather is hot in summer typically up to mid 30s in July and mild winters, seldom below minus 15C. Christina Lake, a beautiful resort is 20 km. east.

Cannuck
Move to Calgary. Decent winters. Not as damp as Ontario and there are chinooks. If you are an entrepreneur, it's one of the places to be.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

I would suggest Winnipeg

Hey, Durka, CAN YOU NOT READ??????, she said WARMER climate than Ontario. Winnipeg is warmer about 3 days of the year.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Winnipeg is warmer about 3 days of the year.

I'd take Winnipeg over southern Ontario any day. I can't handle the dampness. Spent a week on Vancouver island once. It was the worst month of my life.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

I'd take Winnipeg over southern Ontario any day. I can't handle the dampness. Spent a week on Vancouver island once. It was the worst month of my life.

Hey, I was born in Victoria and have lived on Vancouver Island on and off for 45 years- it's not bad although, the population explosion is a bit much and the rain from Nov. until April. Lots of worse places.

sensualspirit
Hi JLM,

Where is the Costco? Stateside?

So does everyone cross the border to shop?

30's sounds high, does everyone have AC?

How often does it rain?

What about farms that sell produce?

Is the theatre small or the large Ciniplex deal?

What about a Blockbuster?

It must be in the middle of nowhere if it's 2.5 hours to Kelowna. I wonder why they didn't build a city an hour or so away.

I have no issues with the States, in fact I prefer it, but driving across the border can be a pain. At least that's what I heard here even though I STILL haven't gone across & I've been here a year already LOL

Ok, I just re-read what you said & being geographically challenged, is this in BC or Alberta?

I started looking around a different way, I went onto CL to look at all the cities in BC (they didn't list a lot, why is that?) & looked to see where the prices were cheaper, then I'll ask questions from there if no one can point me in the right direction, then the moving is a whole stresser onto itself, I'd have to find someone also coming out to BC b/c I can't do it all myself.

Thanks

Michelle

shadowshiv
Hello Michelle.

Unfortunately I live in Ontario so I am of no help in that regard, but I would like to welcome you to CanadianContent. I notice that you have been a member for a while now, but have been a lurker until now.

Welcome!

bobnoorduyn
Hi Michelle:

If you're looking for warmer I would suggest Nova Scotia, they boast the warmest average temperature of all provinces, (probably because it doesn't extend very far north). An average of 12 degrees, however +12 on New Years Day is cold comfort when you can also expect +12 on August 1st.

If they say moisture is good for the complextion, our climate is ideal.
It doesn't rain all the time, but when it does it helps get rid of the fog. The fog usually lifts by mid June, (the beginning of hurricane season). There is usually a calm spell around the first week of July to mid August where there is little wind, just a lot of fog. This is the only place where a North wind in the summer means nice weather. Hurricane season ends mid December and our sunniest month is February.

It doesn't get that cold in winter normally, I've never seen ice in Halifax harbour, and only seen it in the Bay of Fundy 7 of the 7 years I've lived here, (but their water only requires a temperature of -8 to freeze, wimps).

Oddly, rent is reasonable, I've seen signs in windows asking only $5/hour . But really, I have seen rents as low as $550 for a one BR to $850 for a 2 BR downtown. The one thing Halifax doesn't suffer from is the major boom bust cycle of the rest of the country because of the presence of the military, government, and universities, there is stability.

As for being an entrepeneur, hey, I guess anything goes. It depends on what your selling. It depends on what you want. I moved here from Saskatchewan and I'm still shaking my head at why, it takes a special resolve to live here, (if there are other choices). Anyway, that's my view from the tailpipe of the continent.

VanIsle

Hi JLM,

Where is the Costco? Stateside?
Even JLM is not planning on staying where he currently lives. I told you come to Nanaimo. Costco is not far away from anywhere you live in Nanaimo.

So does everyone cross the border to shop? No - I never do - ever.

30's sounds high, does everyone have AC? We don't get 30 very often. Close but usually high 20's. Okanagan people have AC. Here it is rare as you would only use it about a week out of the year - two weeks tops.

How often does it rain? I sent you the map. Sunny again today. It's 9:00 PM and it's 20 degrees even now. It's been beautiful.

What about farms that sell produce? You can go to the Shady Mile.

Is the theatre small or the large Ciniplex deal? We have two theatre's - both nice and we have the Port Theatre (local actors etc.)

What about a Blockbuster? 1 Near my home.

It must be in the middle of nowhere if it's 2.5 hours to Kelowna. I wonder why they didn't build a city an hour or so away. It's very hot where he lives and Kelowna is the next largest city. (sorry JLM - just being honest)

I have no issues with the States, in fact I prefer it, but driving across the border can be a pain. At least that's what I heard here even though I STILL haven't gone across & I've been here a year already LOL I have no issues with the states but - generally speaking - why would you need to go there? Everything you need is here.

Ok, I just re-read what you said & being geographically challenged, is this in BC or Alberta? He lives in BC

I started looking around a different way, I went onto CL to look at all the cities in BC (they didn't list a lot, why is that?) & looked to see where the prices were cheaper, then I'll ask questions from there if no one can point me in the right direction, then the moving is a whole stresser onto itself, I'd have to find someone also coming out to BC b/c I can't do it all myself. Put an ad in your paper or look for an ad. I've moved pieces of furniture that way just by looking for an empty truck going to where I needed some things to go. We went for a drive a couple of nights ago and I was thinking of you. It seemed like we drove by a number of houses with "for rent" signs in them.

Thanks

Michelle

I still think you will like it here best.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduyn View Post

Hi Michelle:

If you're looking for warmer I would suggest Nova Scotia, they boast the warmest average temperature of all provinces, (probably because it doesn't extend very far north). An average of 12 degrees, however +12 on New Years Day is cold comfort when you can also expect +12 on August 1st.

It doesn't rain all the time, but when it does it helps get rid of the fog. The fog usually lifts by mid June, (the beginning of hurricane season). There is usually a calm spell around the first week of July to mid August where there is little wind, just a lot of fog. This is the only place where a North wind in the summer means nice weather. Hurricane season ends mid December and our sunniest month is February.

It doesn't get that cold in winter normally, I've never seen ice in Halifax harbour, and only seen it in the Bay of Fundy 7 of the 7 years I've lived here, (but their water only requires a temperature of -8 to freeze, wimps).

Oddly, rent is reasonable, I've seen signs in windows asking only $5/hour . But really, I have seen rents as low as $550 for a one BR to $850 for a 2 BR downtown. The one thing Halifax doesn't suffer from is the major boom bust cycle of the rest of the country because of the presence of the military, government, and universities, there is stability.

As for being an entrepeneur, hey, I guess anything goes. It depends on what your selling. It depends on what you want. I moved here from Saskatchewan and I'm still shaking my head at why, it takes a special resolve to live here, (if there are other choices). Anyway, that's my view from the tailpipe of the continent.

LOL - Bob this is too funny. I never even read all of it yet but I will. You are such an ambassador for your province.
Have to edit this while I still can. I did not know you had such a sense of humour. Living in NS must bring out the best in you. I did read the whole thing and it really is funny. I think I've told you that I've never been there but you do make it sound interesting. LOL

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Move to Calgary. Decent winters. Not as damp as Ontario and there are chinooks. If you are an entrepreneur, it's one of the places to be.

Calgary is too cold and the winter is much too long.

sensualspirit
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

Hello Michelle.

Unfortunately I live in Ontario so I am of no help in that regard, but I would like to welcome you to CanadianContent. I notice that you have been a member for a while now, but have been a lurker until now.

Welcome!

Hi there Shadow.

Thanks, I believe I did post when I first joined & it was the same reason I'm posting now, but either I moved or things weren't as crucial as they may be now.

Where do you live in ON?

Michelle

sensualspirit
Hi there,

Yes, I wanted more info on these provinces, but I don't undersand why you don't like it there if the weather is fairly mild.

You do get snow there, right?

What's the average temp. in Spring/summer?

I'd prefer a house (modern).

Oh I'm no longer brick & mortar, I sell online, so none of that matters to me except phone & internet.

Thanks

Michelle

Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduyn View Post

Hi Michelle: