Fast-charging stations for electric vehicles coming to Trans-Canada Highway

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

Read post 45

Right. So when gasoline powered cars became a thing, we only built gas stations in Ontario and Manitoba.
Besides, if they're going to do this with only two provinces to start, would it not make MORE sense to make them Ontario and Quebec where two thirds of the population live?
On top of that, maybe this is something they should try AFTER there's no more financial incentives to buy EVs. As we've seen, where those incentives dry up sales of EVs plummet. I think the taxpayer has been gooned enough to pay for various white elephants. Which is what those charging stations will become unless the govt keeps the EV subsidy and rebates going in perpetuity.

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

That's a lot of nothing burger.

Come back when you've got something to put in it.

Oh trust me, it was loaded with the implication that you are utterly incapable of independent, critical thought.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

It's never taken me 20 minutes to put in gas. You?

I fully expect that it does take buddy 20 - 30 minutes to fill

With heat or AC on you'll be stopping every hour for 20 minutes.

Can you pull a tent trailer with a Chevy Volt?

You'd want an extra Volt to haul the tent9s), food and chairs.... 2 people per vehicle and you might stand a chance of making it 20 minutes outta town and back. Might be an idea to pursue camping opportunities in a Walmart parking lot in one of the bedroom communities

... Good times and wonderful memories for the kidlets

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

good luck on the solar panels. I've got "25W" solar panels that only produce 0.2 Amps instead of the promised 2+amps. The manufacturers don't rate them for Canada.

Look at a solar radiance map of Canada and you'll see why. With the exception of Southern Alberta, Canada's solar potential is shit.

DaSleeper
+2
Eco-nuts are dreamers.....

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Eco-nuts are dreamers.....

Employing the word dreamer is far too kind.

Brain-dead... Imbecilic... High.... Ecotard.... Take your pick

Danbones
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Walter's refined use of the reds lately is much more effective because he is more inclined to only hand them out when it really is required.

Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

I did the red. It is my understanding that it doesnt do anything other than indicate disapproval so why not use it.

does that make what I just said less true?

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

I fully expect that it does take buddy 20 - 30 minutes to fill

You'd want an extra Volt to haul the tent9s), food and chairs.... 2 people per vehicle and you might stand a chance of making it 20 minutes outta town and back. Might be an idea to pursue camping opportunities in a Walmart parking lot in one of the bedroom communities

... Good times and wonderful memories for the kidlets

Better yet, carpool with R2D2 and the other gay robot.

Have you ever seen R2DR stop in the middle of a desert, jungle, ice bound planet or in space stopping for a "gerry can" recharge to make it to the nearest full 8 hour deep cycle trickle charger?

Danbones
Free Thinker

he just goes into charge mode

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Terrible, terrible news...if you're an oil lobbyist.

Fast-charging stations for electric vehicles coming to Trans-Canada Highway

Three companies are teaming up with the federal government to install 34 electric vehicle fast-charging stations along the Trans-Canada Highway in an attempt to encourage the adoption of zero-emission vehicles.

The $17.3-million charging network, which will be installed in Ontario and Manitoba, will allow drivers to charge their zero-emission cars in about 20 minutes through stations powered by a lithium-ion battery storage system, one its developers say won’t stress the utility grid.

The project is funded by an $8-million “repayable contribution” from Natural Resources Canada under the Canadian Energy Innovation Program, as well as private investment from eCAMION, a Toronto-based energy storage system developer, Leclanché, an energy storage provider, and Geneva-based power producer SGEM.

Jim Carr, the federal Minister of Natural Resources, said in a news release that government recognizes that electric vehicles will play a significant role in reducing emissions from the transportation sector.

“With more electric vehicles becoming available, we want to make them an easy choice for Canadians. The strategic investment brings us closer to having a national coast-to-coast network of electric vehicle charging stations while growing our economy and creating good jobs for Canada’s middle-class,” Carr said.

Industry experts and government leaders have agreed that developing and installing charging infrastructure around the country is crucial in order to spark electric vehicle sales in Canada.

Each new station will consist of an energy storage system that uses large-format lithium-ion batteries and multiple outlets so that several cars can be charged at once. The stations will be equipped to use Level 3 chargers, which typically use a 480-volt system that can fully charge electric vehicles in about 30 minutes. Level 2 chargers, found in homes and commonly seen in parking garages, use a 240-volt system and can fully recharge vehicles in about eight to 10 hours.

Bryan Urban, executive vice president with Leclanché North America, said the technology is particularly advantageous because it will not stress the grid or require significant infrastructure upgrades.

“As electric vehicles get faster in the charging process, that can have a lot of stress on the grid and you would need to beef up the system, particularly in areas that are more remote. That can be costly,” he said.

“But this way, you can charge multiple vehicles at a time, without stressing the grid.”

The battery sources would be recharged during off-peak times, according to the companies. Urban also said several stations will be outfitted with solar panels to recharge the battery.

“This is perhaps the largest infrastructure project for electrical vehicles to be deployed at one time anywhere in the world,” said Elad Barak, VP business development of eCAMION, in a statement.

Fast-charging stations for electric vehicles coming to Trans-Canada Highway | Financial Post

What about the other 100 or so highways in the country? Does nobody drive on them?

Danbones
Free Thinker
So where does the electricity come from that it doesn't make the same pollution as a car does again, the gulf of mexico, or Fukushima, or the Exxon valdeez?

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

What about the other 100 or so highways in the country? Does nobody drive on them?

The lithium and other rare earth deposits in Canada will be mined with pretty much indentical processes as the oil sands.

It's going to take time. Remember your first cordless drill 30 years ago?

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

So where does the electricity come from that it doesn't make the same pollution as a car does again, the gulf of mexico, or Fukushima, or the Exxon valdeez?

The answer is unicorns.

Friendship is magic

petros
Magic eagle fedders.

They bring good luck when fissing.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
I can see the gerbil-on-a-wheel industry really taking off here

petros
Alberta and Sask have shit loads of REEs.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Not with electric vehicles unless they also pack a can of electrons or a gas generator.

Better yet, carpool with R2D2 and the other gay robot.

Have you ever seen R2DR stop in the middle of a desert, jungle, ice bound planet or in space stopping for a "gerry can" recharge to make it to the nearest full 8 hour deep cycle trickle charger?

It just runs downhill and lets the regenerative brakes charge the battery.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation

It's never taken me 20 minutes to put in gas. You?

Me neither, but you seem particularly sensitive to cold. I take my dogs for one hour walks at 25 below. Do you by any chance live in Victoria?

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Did the government build the first network of gas stations?

What do you suppose has stopped the addition of those electrical chargers?

I'll give you a little history of the automobile.

When it first came out automobile owners were limited to towns as gas stations in the countryside were nonexistent. What did exist was a comprehensive network of livery stables. Once it became apparent that the automobile was here to stay and the horse was on the way out a lot of changes took place. Livery stable owners installed gas pumps and blacksmiths became auto mechanics. What really helped though was the improvement of roads at the urging of the oil companies and automobile manufacturers. Once there was a proper network of driveable highways complete with service stations then the automobile became practical. Before that it was pretty much a rich man's toy. Of course this change took several decades, just as the switch to electric cars will take several decades. I expect that once there are enough electric cars existing gas stations will install recharging facilities even without government urging.

petros
You're going to walk 10 minutes down Hwy 1 turn around and walk 10 minutes back to your car and crank up the heat in your temporarily charged car and carry on to the 8 hour full charger?

Then what? Walk 4hrs down Hwy 1 and turn around and walk 4hrs back and carry on?

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation

You're going to walk 10 minutes down Hwy 1 turn around and walk 10 minutes back to your car and crank up the heat in your temporarily charged car and carry on to the 8 hour full charger?

Then what? Walk 4hrs down Hwy 1 and turn around and walk 4hrs back and carry on?

You're going to have to explain that incoherent reply.

petros
What part don't you understand? You walking your dog or that it's not full charging stations being built?

Quote:

Me neither, but you seem particularly sensitive to cold. I take my dogs for one hour walks at 25 below. Do you by any chance live in Victoria?

I live on the prairies. You?

mentalfloss
Electric car travel given a boost in Manitoba, Ontario - Manitoba - CBC News

coldstream
+1
I think, 20 years from now, with the AGW Scam in widespread disrepute, there will still only by 1% of the cars on the road being electric.

They just can't compete with the practicality, efficiency, economy, performance and reliability of the internal combustion engine. In fact if all factors including energy production, disposal of batteries, environmental cost of component production it'll become obvious that electric cars are far more harmful to the environment than gas.. and it will be looked on as little more than a yuppie fad.

In fact the whole hybrid technology which is notoriously complex and unreliable will go with it. Then we can take the these economy depressing punitive taxes off gas.

mentalfloss
Scam?

What scam?

coldstream
+1
AGW.. an ideological and political agenda without an ounce of scientific merit, ie. a Scam. A pseudo science.

petros
What kind of trouble can you get in 120km from home?

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

I
In fact the whole hybrid technology which is notoriously complex and unreliable will go with it. Then we can take the these economy depressing punitive taxes off gas.

The internal combustion engine is very complex with a huge number of wearing parts.

Twin_Moose
Conservative

Don't worry, there will be an electric pickup in less than 10 years.

LINK

Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Hilarious. Two provinces make up Canada and there'll be 34 charging stations between them? Christ, how efficient ARE these piece of crap EVs? I could drive from North Bay to the other side of Manitoba on two, maybe three tanks of gas. Are there even 34 gas stations along that stretch of the Trans-Canada?

Not quite. For example, if you buy a Tesla you'd have to drive the car for 8 years before it became carbon neutral.

What's the life expectancy of the battery? Will the battery have to be replaced before it is neutral?

Oh I found this I answered my own questions

Quote:

Life expectancy of Tesla battery
How long will an electric car battery last? The lithium-ion battery pack in the Tesla Roadster is projected to have a lifespan of about 5 years or 100,000 miles.

auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/vehicles/electric-car-battery4.htm

I guess it will never be Carbon neutral

petros
+1
Tesla batteries last 5 years? That means a gasoline car is still ahead in C02 emissions by 37% at the 5 year mark considering manufacturing a Tesla battery is equal to 8 years of driving a gasoline powered vehicle.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation

Tesla batteries last 5 years? That means a gasoline car is still ahead in C02 emissions by 37% at the 5 year mark considering manufacturing a Tesla battery is equal to 8 years of driving a gasoline powered vehicle.

Is it? Have you factored in the energy used in the extraction and refining of oil and the building of internal combustion engines?

You also have to realize that the technology of the internal combustion engine has advanced about as far as it can. Modern batteries are far more efficient than those of a couple of decades ago and I expect they will continue to improve. After all, the first internal combustion engines were quite dirty and inefficient by today's standards and they improved. I see no reason why batteries cannot do the same, especially given the massive research into new types of batteries.

JamesBondo
Have you ever noticed how technology is only expected to advance the troublesome areas like batteries and solar panels?